[Canterlot] New to Canterlot [OPEN]

SkyMunki

The harsh rain slapped against their coats. Irritated, Harmony left her father with her load and flew upward, the wind playing with her spiky mane. She kicked away the clouds, and sunshine cut out the path to their new home. Harmony landed softly on the ground with a clip-clop of her hooves. She sang softly of two pegasus joining the city. Her father bobbed along. The father and daughter happily admired their surroundings as they slowly made their way to Canterlot.

The sun was beggining to show itself all around, and ponies wandered through the busy streets of the city. They rushed, they meandered, they stood and laughed with friends. Fillies and colts were playing. Harmony felt left out immediately. She kept her head down as her father looked around for their house.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quantum Flux hurried through the streets, wanting to get a start on her morning errands before the Canterlotian streets began too overwhelming. She briefly checked the list she had made for herself, mentally striking out the tasks she had already completed. Looking up briefly to enjoy the day, the unicorn spotted a muti-coloured pegasus flying through the sky. Odd, she thought, watching the pegasus make a few dents in the cloud layer, I didn't think that the pegasi allowed such a young pony to join the Weather Patrol.

Intrigued, Flux trotted over to the pegasi and her older companion. Not sure exactly what to say, she merely began with her name. "Hello there, my name is Quantum Flux, though Flux is quite acceptable. Who might you be?" She realized suddenly that such a young pegasus would likely have trouble with her usually intricate speech and quickly made a concious effort to use some more filly-friendly words.

"Hello Flux." Harmony said. She looked at her father, wondering what his reaction would be to this pony straightfowardly introducing herself. harmony's father smiled encouragingly.

"I'm Harmony... this is my father..." Harmony was suprised how quiet her own voice was, when she's usually so outgoing. She looked down at her hooves, her measly sentence trailing off. "Hello." she murmured. After being nudged forth by her father, Harmony realised she was being silly.

"Hi, Flux, my name's Harmony, what brings you to us?" Harmony said, a little more confidently.

Flux nodded as the pegasus introduced herself. "Harmony, what an lovely name." Flux wasn't much a pony for compliments, but her Canterlot upbringing insisted upon proper ettiquite at all times.

"I was just passing by when I saw you clearing a few of the clouds. For a pegasus so young, you are quite talented." Flux felt some of the sunlight let in by Harmony brush her face and smiled slightly. The unicorn had always loved a sunny day, despite her usual confinement to her workplace during such days.

"Forgive me if this sounds rude, but are you two new here? I've never seen ponies like yourselves around before and with a coat as vibrant as yours, I doubt I would forget you." Flux purposely left out her rather antisocial tendancies while she was out and about. It was only curiousity that managed to drive her to interact with other ponies, that or a shared enthusiasm for her favourite subject: science.

I'm talented? thought Harmony. She pulled an awkward face to try in vein at hiding her blushing cheeks.

"Yes, I'm new. We're just trying to find our new house right now..." She smiled at this kind new pony, who seemed to enjoy giving her compliments.

An audible rumbling echoed through Harmony's body. "Oh, wow, I'm starving!" she said aloud to herself.

"Know any places to get a bite at?" she asked Flux.

A place to get a bite at? Flux wondered quietly, her muzzle scrunched slightly in thought. With a small "ah!" the unicorn decided on an acceptable venue. "Well, there's a place that a friend of mine once mentioned. The "Prancing Pony Cafe", I believe. It's a newer cafe, so it shouldn't be overly crowded." The white-coated unicorn was thankful for that, not exactly comfortable with crowded spaces.

"It's pretty close, too. Just around the corner here, if I remember correctly." Flux indicated the next corner with a flick of her tail as she spoke.

"Great, thanks." Harmony smiled. She didn't really know what to say next. her father seemed to be silently watching her with an interested smile on his friendly face. That meant he wanted Harmony to take over the situation. Practising interacting with Canterlot's residents, she supposed.

"So... would you like to join us?" she asked politely, tilting her head slightly toward Flux.

Flux paused for a moment to consider the pegasus' offer. She wasn't in a particularly huge rush, since she had managed to start her errands early and she was rather hungry, even though she really did need to get back to finalizing that theory of hers. A few minutes of deliberation and her decision was made. "I would love to," Flux said.

She turned the corner quickly, ensuring that her directions had been accurate. After a quick look, she spotted the Prancing Pony. It was a small establishment nestled between two marble buildings. It was made of fine oak, giving it a more homely feeling than the cold stone surrounding it. A sign displaying a silhouette of an earth pony with the words Prancing Pony Cafe was situated in the centre of the roof. A soft singing could be heard drifting through the open doors of the cafe. A chalkboard with several food choices and prices held the doors in their open position.

Flux led the way to the Prancing Pony cafe. Harmony walked beside her, with her father closely following. Harmony could hear soft singing eminating from further down the street, and the urge not to break into song was overwhelming. Harmony bit her lip to stop herself, as she didnt want to make a fool of herself in the busy street, before she'd even moved in. The Prancing Pony was approaching. It looked different to the other buildings, it was all wooden and and homely. Harmony could smell something delicious. Throwing the urge to outshine the singer, Harmony eagerly cantered ahead of Flux, and galloped excitedly into the humble cafe, licking her lips.

Flux smiled bemusedly at the young foal's enthusiasm. She followed the multi-coloured pegasus into the Cafe, taking in its interior as she trotted through the door. It too was wooden, with a counter near the rear of the building. A dozen or so tables were scattered throughout the main floor of the restaurant. A young unicorn mare sat by a piano in the left corner, singing along to a tune that Flux did not recognize. Several couples and gagles of friends sat in the booths that lined the sides of the Cafe, filling the room with a layer of excited speech.

Flux trotted slowly toward the counter, examining the menu. She decided upon the creme latte and ordered it from the stallion manning the counter. As she extracted the correct change from her saddlebags, Flux searched the room for Harmony and her father, not wanting to loose the two pegasi.

Harmony trotted up to the pianist. "Hello, I'm Harmony. Can you dance, Sir?" She asked.

"Yes, why?" the intrigued pianist asked.

"Would you be interested in a sing-dance duet?" The pianist smiled.

Harmony's father watched happily, clapping along. They sance their hearts out and danced in excellent unison despite that they only had a quick two minute practise. The whole cafe watched as the confident newcomer with a talent for performing sang and danced with the piano-playing stallion. With a flashy final move, theye ended on a bang, showered with flowers. Harmony brohoofed the pianist, her thirst to shine surpressed for the time being, and bounded up to Flux. "What's on the menu?" she grinned.

Flux listened to the music, swaying slightly to the song. She was never interested in the arts as a foal, but she did know an excellent performer when she saw one. They are quite harmonious, Flux thought, laughing inwardly at the irony of her phrasing. She took a quick sip of her latte just before the song ended, placing it carefully on a nearby railing before joining in the praise of the Cafe audience. Harmony practically bounced as she approached Flux. The unicorn laughed slightly, unable to prevent a playful amusement with the energy that Harmony seemed to radiate.

Picking up her latte once more, she answered the foal's question. "Well, there are a few fruit smoothies and juices along with some sweets. I think I saw a few sandwiches as well." She skipped over some of the other items on the menu, assuming that they would be quite strange for a young pony.

"Yep! Sounds good." Harmony replied, gazing happily at the menu. She wondered what Flux must think of her; rash perhaps? Harmony hoped not, as Flux seemed like an older-sister type pony, who she could really need as she settled into Canterlot. She stayed closely by Flux's side, suddenly noticing her pretty coat and red mane. For a moment Harmony stood admiring her, hooves upon the countertop as she stood on her hind legs, waiting cheerfully for Flux to order. All traces of timidness seemed to have evaporated when she performed.

(No problem, :))

Flux considered the young foal as she waited for the attention of the counter-mare to turn to her. She had to admire the pony's outgoing and sociable nature, something that Flux herself had lacked in her youth. Strangely, a thought flitted into her mind. She remembered her insistance as a filly that she wanted to have siblings, like most of the other ponies in her class. Flux had felt isolated as a child by her rather odd interests in a world of magic. The young filly had been certain that a new member of kin would eliminate this barrier. Quite strange, she pondered, for a thought like that to appear at such a seemingly unrelated time.

"Can I get'cha something?" The voice quickly brought Flux out of her rumination. Slightly surprised by the suddeness of the question, she stuttered briefly before pulling her thoughts together.

"Um...yes. I would like an alfalfa sandwich with a brownie on the side." The counter-mare nodded, noting the order on a pad of paper.

"And for you?" The mare now addressed Harmony, a slightly bemused look on the pony's face as she looked between the pegasus and the unicorn. She must assume that we're related, Flux realized. However, our lack of similarities is likely what is confusing her. Flux smiled subtlely at the idea.

"I'll take any two smoothies, any juice, i'm not fussy, all the sweets you have, and a daisy sandwhich would be nice too." Harmony told the waiter. She took in a big breath, "that would be all, thankyou." she exhaled. She generally ate quite a lot; it was a wonder she kept her slim figure. That must be it, she thought, i burn it all off when I dance...

Harmony's father suddenly zoomed to the counter with bits for the counter-pony. He placed them all on the counter and smiled at the three ponies.

Flux's eyes widened slightly at the young pony's order. She was surprised that the foal would have such an appetite. Then again, exercise does tend to produce a need for some food. Flux had been halfway to pulling out a few bits to pay for the food, when Harmony's father stepped in. With a small bow of the head, she silently thanked the stallion. She hummed slightly to herself as the counter-mare trotted off behind the corner of the shop. After a few minutes, a question lit up in her mind.

"So," she said, turning to Harmony as she spoke. "Did you two move here for a specific reason? It's not everyday that pegasi move to Canterlot." Flux tried to word the question carefully, not wanting to accidentally offend the two flying ponies.

(Hope you don't mind me joining Sky, if you do I'll just remove this :) )

The white coated, blue maned Pegasus Colton Cloudkicker once again found himself in the bustling streets of the city of Canterlot. He was accompanied as he always was, by his pet and companion Sparks the sparrow. Both Colton and Sparks were having a bit of a lazy day and decided that they would try and take in the sights of the city as they had yet to see all it had to offer, despite their previous visits.

Colton walked as Sparks perched himself upon Colton's head, the two surveyed the area but didn't find anything of relative importance. Just as the two were about to give up their search something made Sparks leap from Colton's head, "Sparks you alright?" Colton asked the bird, to which Sparks didn't reply and simply rushed to Colton's ear, "Hey what are you doing?" Colton said as the bird lifted up Colton's ear. Colton then heard what he assumed made Sparks jump, he heard...singing? Colton thought as he tried to pinpoint the location of this mystery voice.

The two turned a corner and were met with the origin place of said singing, the two looked up to see the sign proudly displayed above them, "The Prancing Pony Cafe?" Colton said as he turned to Sparks, "Never heard of this place before." Colton said as he realized that's what he was looking for to begin with, "Good boy." Colton said as he patted Sparks on the head.

The two entered the cafe cautiously, not knowing what they would find inside. But to their pleasant surprise the place seemed fairly nice, which was evident in it's all around atmosphere. The two casually walked towards a vacant table and sat themselves down, not hoping to draw too much attention to themselves. Colton sat and waited for a waiter as he observed the restaurant he looked over and saw a pianist with a large smile on his face, Colton hadn't the foggiest notion as to why but he let it pass. As they observed Sparks once again pulled on Colton's ear, "Ouch Sparks, what is it now?" Colton said as he rubbed his ear. The little bird pointed across the room with his wing towards a table with three occupants, two of which Colton didn't even recognise but the third one, and the most out of place one seemed to draw the birds eye, Wait a second....isn't that..-

Colton was interrupted by a seemingly out of nowhere waiter, which nearly made the pegasus jump out of his seat.

"Hello there sir, oh er sirs." The waiter said with an almost creepy grin, "What can I get you?"

Colton quickly composed himself and ordered what he would usually order at any establishment , "Uh...sorry buddy, um, I'll have a cinnamon bun and my friend here will have anything with blueberry in it." Colton stated vaguely.

"Of course, right away sir." The waiter said as he almost pranced off.

Well that guy gave me the creeps, Colton thought with a slight cringe,....wait, what was I thinking about again? Colton asked himself as he tapped his hoof on the table.

"Just for a change, y'know?" Harmony told Flux, before looking around the lively cafe. "Plus," she added quietly, "Cloudsdale holds bad memories for my dad."

She gazed at her father, who was contentedly trotting back to their table before anypony sat there. Harmony had never known her mother, nor the exact reasons her mother had left her with her father and galloped away. Something along the lines of marrying a handsome young stallion and starting a new family. There was, therefore, a deep pit of hatred for her mother inside Harmony, yet also a hole in her heart where a trustworthy, loving mother should be.

Snapping out of her thoughts, Harmony, ever alert, noticed that there was one less empty table in the cafe.

A white-coated stallion had arrived and decided to occupy the table nearby. He was looking right at her and Flux. Through the corner of her eye, she watched him carefully. Why was he staring at her? There was some kind of bird beside him, pulling on his ear. Harmony had to stifle a giggle at the pony's surprised and irritated expression. He finally noticed the waiter at his table.

"Anyway, let's go sit down. I'd like to hear more about you." She smiled at Flux.

((To avoid confusion: Due to our time zones, the most effeciant new posting order is, Me, Conor Colton, Neoniie. So it's Conor's turn :))

Colton continued to be tangled in his own thoughts, trying desperately to remember what he was thinking about. As he did Sparks was flat down on the table, still in shock over the waiter earlier. Colton didn't even take notice of the birds condition as he was still trying to remember.

Colton almost had it when another waiter interrupted his thoughts once again.

"Hello there Sir, can I get you a menu?" Colton reacted much like he did with the other waiter, nearly petrified and Sparks reacted similarly.

"No, that's alright, we just ordered." Colton said as he nearly clutched at his chest from the slight scare.

"Well if you need anything, let me or another waiter know, have a good day Sir." The waiter said as he pranced off in a similar fashion to the previous one.

Okay the first guy gave me the creeps, that guy just down right terrified me. Colton said as he rested his head on his hoof. Wait...what was I thinking about? Colton asked himself, and then almost right away his head hit the table, Oh for goodness- I forgot again. Colton said in his head as he mentally kicked himself.

He stomped into the cafe. He was not happy, head crouched down, eyes squinted, and ears flopped downward. He was all prepared to come into town and enjoy the rain, and then suddenly it went away. He had his beige bucket hat and simple black umbrella saddle and everything, he slowly trotted into the cafe, he was there out of curiosity. It was new, it was fresh, and he had to learn more. He found a far off corner and proceeded to levitate is belongings off him himself in a cyan glow.

As he scopes out the cafe he notes the unfamiliar faces and remains silent, unhappy with the crowd. he sat waiting for a waiter, an yet wanting to remain invisible, until his eyes became a blaze at the sigh of something irritatingly familiar, a pegasus with a ridiculous looking coat, he recognized the colors from afar, the one that took away his glorious storm. Instead of complaining, he sat where he was, glaring from across, the room, waiting to see the menu.

Flux nodded, not wanting to press the subject with the young pegasus. She trotted over to one of the round wooden tables in the middle of the room, taking a seat as Harmony had suggested. She pondered Harmony's words, wondering what exactly Flux could say to start up a conversation with the foal about herself. Flux had always found talking about herself to be a difficult task, but she gave it a go either way.

"Well, I'm not the most interesting pony," Flux admitted with a slightly laugh. "My mother is an earth pony astronomer named Comet Flare. My father is a doctor here in Canterlot made Dr. Scalpel Flux. We used to live in Fillydelphia, but it was only for the first few years for my foalhood, so I don't remember much of it. What I do remember is how apprehensive I was about moving to a new place. I didn't fit in that well with all the other Canterlot-born ponies, but I made due. Once I'd gotten my cutie mark, I stopped minding what other ponies thought of me and focused wholeheartedly on my studies. I've basically been following my calling ever since."

Once the summary was complete, Flux caught a glimpse of a blue mane from the corner of her eye. Is that... "Colton?" she wondered aloud. The unicorn hadn't heard anypony come in, but she suppose that she could chalk that up to her inattentiveness to minor details when engaged in conversation. As she watched the blue-maned pegasus, trying to get a better glimpse at the stallion, the bell above the door dinged as another pony entered the Cafe. She didn't recognize the pony and thus decided not to stare, lest she seem to be a pony with prying eyes.

Harmony was mentally sifting through the information Flux had given her.

Interesting. Flux seemed to think she was boring. Harmony didn't think so.

"Colton?" Flux said aloud, interrupting Harmony's thoughts.

"Colton? Who's that?" queried Harmony, gazing around the cafe.

She caught the eye of the stallion with the sparrow. He looked annoyed, tapping his hooves on the table impatiently. Looking up, she saw another pony watching her. Why were ponies so interested in her today? Was it because she's new?

The stallion's eyes weren't very friendly, so Harmony returned a glare, then turned back to Flux.

"Who's Colton?" she asked again, hoping that it wasn't the glaring unicorn that had just walked in.

((Oh dear, my posts are a bit small!))

Colton continued to contemplate his earlier thoughts, desperately trying to get through all his mental blocks that these waiters had unintentionally created. His thoughts were interrupted however when he noticed a new pony enter, Colton didn't have the foggiest who this mystery pony was but he contemplated if he had ever seen this pony before.

Who the heck is....wait a second, I'm trying to remember something, quit getting distracted! Colton thought, annoyed at himself at this point. He took a deep breath in and thought things over. As he did however his thoughts were interrupted....again, it was getting pretty tedious at this point. He heard a faint whisper of, what sounded like his name, and then it was uttered a few more times by a seemingly different voice, Great, now I'm hearing things. Colton said as he tapped his forehead more and more.

However Colton realized that one of the voices sounded familiar, he tried to pin in his head which familiar voice it was, "Wait a second...Flux, oh right Flux." Colton said as he remembered everything and thought of what his next move might be. He had remembered the conversation he had with Gladwin earlier at a tea shop a few hours ago and thought whether to act on Gladwin's advice or not and whether to tell Flux what he wanted to or not. Okay, just breath Colton, what's the worst that could happen? Colton said as he wiped a tiny bit of sweat from his forehead, Well actually a lot of things could happen, really bad things, she could reject me, I could look like an idiot- Colton thought as he almost immedietly slapped himself, No don't think about it Colton just..... Colton's thoughts were interrupted as he noticed that somepony's were staring at him, he sunk into his chair in embarrassment.

Sketch's waiter finally noticed he existed, which was fairly difficult to do. He fidgeted uncomfortably as the pony cheerily greeted him. He fiddled with his hooves and after a few moments of indecision and a bright red face as he noted the attractiveness of his server, he finally muttered.

"I'll have a White Hot Chocolate, please." He whispered. The server lifted an ear and knelt her head closer. "White Hot Chocolate, please..." He said again, barely a decibel higher. He cleared his throat and avoided eye contact. But he faced heard nonetheless so he could be better heard. "White Hot Chocolate and the CLT...." He said at what almost seemed like a normal volume of sound. The Waitress took down his order and went off. He breathed a sigh of relief. He then banged his snout on the table once, cursing his introversion as his horn glowed cyan, pulling a parchment and pencil from his saddlebags and placed them on the table. He then began to draw, while occasionally glaring at the green and violet striped Pegasus.

"Oh," Flux said, not having realized that she had spoken her thoughts aloud. "Colton is a friend of mine. A pegasus pony with a blue mane and white coat. We met only a few days ago at a shop called 'The Perfect Fit'. He's a traveller, doing odd jobs mostly." Flux racked her mind for some less superficial details of the pegasus.

"He's staying with myself and Torvus in the old clock tower. Torvus is my tutor, despite being more of a gear pony than a scientist. I thought that I'd seen him a few moments ago." While she explained, she abandoned her quest to identify the pegasus who had a striking resemblance to her friend. However, she couldn't help but notice that the dark blue unicorn who had entered earlier was casting odd glances toward Harmony, to which Harmony responded in kind. Flux couldn't help but smile slightly at the confidence shown by the young pony.