[Canterlot] New to Canterlot [OPEN]

SkyMunki

Colton was deep down in his chair, looking rather shy. The glaring unicorn was doing something with some parchment. Harmony hoped he wasn't drawing her. He seemed slightly... stalker-ish...

"Oh, I see..." Harmony said to Flux, slightly distracted. The waitor arrived with their orders, and Harmony's mouth started to water uncontrollably as her feast was placed before her. She immediately tucked in, licking her lips.

"So, you have your Cutie Mark, I see. What's the story?" Harmony asked inquisitively, through a mouthful of delicious sweets.

She'd always wanted her Cutie mark. It didn't feel like she was mature. She felt as though she was missing a vital part of herself. Whenever she met a pony with a cutie mark, she'd ask them how they received it, in hope that it would give her a clue what to do to get hers, but it always seemed like a completely random oppourtunity.

The food was amazing. Inside, Harmony's tummy was smiling contentedly. The textures, the tastes, the smell... it all worked in harmony to create the perfect dish. Harmony made a mental note to return to the Prancing Pony whenever hungry.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colton sat back up as he composed himself from his earlier display of strange behaviour, he looked at Sparks who was standing up with his wings folded as he had realized how big of a fool Colton seemed, "Oh you shut up." Colton said as he playfully nudged the bird.

Colton looked back over at the other table, he saw that Flux again and began thinking over some things, Okay, so what should I do now? Colton asked himself. Should I go over there? Colton said as he rubbed his chin, How would I even say it? He contemplated as he continued to ask himself questions, Would it be rude of me to interrupt them? Why am I thinking so much about this? What if I look rude for not going over? I heard my name right, does she know I'm here? Colton stopped his thought process as he saw the strange new pony he had saw earlier, And just what is that guy doing? Why is he staring over at Flux's company? Maybe I should-

Colton was cut off once again by a waiter approaching with his order, which didn't make Colton jump out of his seat as much, but he was still shocked by it.

"Here you are Sir." The waiter stated with his over eager smile.

"Uh....thanks." Colton said as he reached into his pocket and presented the waiter with a few bits as a tip.

"Why thank you Sir, I do hope you enjoy your meal." The waiter said as he pounced off and as Colton dropped his fake smile.

Iwould enjoy it if you don't interrupt me. Colton thought as he took a bite of his cinnamon bun.

As his drink arrived, Sketch merely nodded in brief acknowledgement, his face turning red again until his waitress left. He returned to continuing his sketch, thinking and thinking, he was inspired by his annoyance and the unusual pelt of this Pegasus. He started taking notes, he was no longer glaring, now he was attentively looking at his scrolls with a bright grin, his horn glowing brighter and his pencil moving even more frantically as his smile and enthusiasm grew. The ideas were becoming a story and soon he would have something to show for. He was finished with his draft and looked up again.

What should he do? He craned his neck side to side, unsure if he wanted to approach this mare to thank her for the inspiration. If anything he at least needed to acknowledge her as his muse. He levitated his scroll and got on all his hooves, and unsteadily trotted across the floor towards Harmony's table. He grimaced nervously and scratched at his neck. Once he finally arrived, his ears were flopped down, his head was facing downward and he was making absolutely no eye contact and he was looking like a violet beet instead of his usual shade of dark blue.

"I...." He whispered..... "Wanted.... To thank you.... for inspiring me..." He barely stuttered out as he lifted the parchment with the messy sketch.IMG_0081.jpg

Quantum Flux looked down at her cutie mark as it was mentioned in the conversation, the details of its appearance flooding back to her. "Well, it was several years ago, while I was still attending Canterlot School of Magic. We had an essay due the next day on a topic of our choice. The problem I had was being unable to find a topic that interested me. I had gone through every book my parents had provided for me and still couldn't find the topic that felt right. I had almost given up hope, when an idea hit me like lightning."

"I was a relatively weak magic user and so I wondered if there was a way to create magic-like effects without the drain of actual magic. I remembered a piece of information I'd read about how certain colours could be produced by combining several liquids. After a few test runs at home, I managed to finish the essay just before I had to dash off to class. I brought the liquids with me, so that I could demonstrate it live. However, I picked up one of the more...explosive chemicals in my rush. Let's just say that there was alot of black smoke created by my demostration. When the smoke had cleared, I saw that I had discovered my very own cutie mark." When she finished, the unicorn motioned toward the mark slightly with her muzzle.

"It's what started my interest in science," Flux said proudly, loving being able to talk about her work. As she took a bite of her alfalfa sandwich, the dark blue unicorn she had noticed earlier trotted over shyly. His gaze was cast downward as he lifted up the sketch. Flux looked at it casually, not having much of an eye for art but knowing talent when she saw it. Since he had addressed Harmony, Flux decided she should let the filly speak first.

After listening closely to Flux's Cutie Mark story, Harmony saw with anxiety that the glaring stallion was walking across the cafe -- Toward her!

He told the floor something about inspiration, then held up a messy but fantastic sketch of a pony that resembled herself, with writing around it.

"Woah. Ain't that good!" she said, surprised, examining the drawing more carefully, while sub consciously trying to figure out what he'd said to her.

"I inspired you to draw this? Wow, okay, that's..." she was going to say flattering, but giving anypony the idea she could be a witch was kind of... she didn't know what it was. Either way, inspiring somepony to draw such a wonderful sketch was quite a happy feeling.

"Great." she finished. "Do you have a name then?" Harmony asked in a tone that she considered polite. 

Colton observed as the mystery unicorn approached one of Flux's company, he wondered what was going on and decided that he had to see and that he wasn't just going to sit and wait, "Come on Sparks." Colton said as he almost literally dragged the bird away from his food. Colton was a mere halfway there when he began to slow down and contemplate what he was gonna say, Okay, I should probably introduce myself to Flux's friends first, don't want to sound rude. Colton said as he once again observed the odd unicorn he saw earlier, Just what is that guy doi-

"Excuse me Sir, can I help you?" A waiter interrupted, and you can guess what happened next. Colton jumped out of his skin, he was fine with this when he was sitting down but he was standing and he lost his balance. The pegasus flew up into the air and smacked his head on the ceiling, in a daze Colton landed in a random spot, whether it was lucky or not for him though that that 'random spot' happened to be Flux's table. The pegasus slammed on his back on the table, surprisingly the table didn't break as Colton raised his head.

He was still in a slight daze but managed to make out Flux a few feet away, "Oh....hey Flux, um, fancy meeting you here..." Colton said in embarrassment as he turned to Flux's company, "Ummmm, pleasure to meet you guys." Colton said as he tried to smile to hide his shame as he thought Why does stuff like this always happen....

"Sketch Navy... Artist.... Writer...." Navy muttered, he head facing upwards this time but his eyes still averted in his great nervousness. "And wanted to say... New story idea spawned from this but.. I didn't want to offend you...." He was having trouble getting the words out and was starting to get loose lipped. Trying to talk to people was hard, his hooves digging at the floor so much he looked like he was trying to dig away. "From when you.... made the nice rain go away..... and your... unique look... had to keep it in memory.... inspired by my frustration...." he rambled, trying to not sound like a complete idiot.

Before he could continue on further he jumped back and gasped in fear as he heard a loud banging noise. A mystery Pegasus crash landed before them on the table and Sketch lost concentration and practically flung the scroll away. He crouched down, cowering greatly at the new company.

Flux started to acknowledge Sketch Navy's introduction when Colton landed suddenly on the table. The pegasus looked rather dazed as he greeted her and her company. Flux was shocked for a moment, wondering how on Equestria Colton had managed to propel himself onto their table. She was not sure how she should respond to this, as a pegasus had never crashed onto her table before. Deciding to take it is well as she could, Flux slipped out of her seat and offered Colton a hoof up. "Hello Colton, what an...odd way to make an entrance. I suppose you were the pegasus I saw earlier."

Turning her head toward Harmony, she introduced Colton in a more formal manner. "This is Colton. I mentioned him earlier." Some inner voice wondered how crazy she must seem for taking the situation so normally. She also noticed that Stetch Navy had shied away, no doubt startled by the sudden appearance of a pegasus on the table. "Don't be uneasy, Colton usually arrives much more sedately," she said, not quite sure if those were the best words to use in soothing the other unicorn's fear.

When a pegasus shoots out of the blue and crashes onto your table, there's not much to say.

"Awwkwwaaard..." sang Harmony in a high voice.

As Flux calmly introduced the amazingly clumsy pegasus, Harmony began to doubt Flux's sanity. It appeared as though she was quite used to situations like these. The poor timid unicorn was now cowering to the ground and shaking in fear.

"Calm down..." Harmony tried, in an attempt to soothe him. "It's just a friend of Flux's."

She watched Flux help this Colton pony to his hooves. He looked rather embarrassed at the situation.

"Hey, Colton. Way to make an entrance, I like confident ponies! I'm Harmony, nice to meet ya!"

She told the crashing pegasus eagerly, offering out a hoof for shaking.

Colton got helped to his hooves by Flux, the pegasus wasn't one to take help lightly he turned and nodded to Flux, "Thanks Flux." Colton said as he dusted himself off, "I guess you did see me earlier then." Colton said as he regretted not coming over sooner, which would have saved a lot of embarrassment.

Before Colton could turn to introduce himself properly he saw a hoof right infront of his face, he turned to see who had extended said hoof and found it to be the filly he saw Flux conversing with before. The pegasus shook the filly's hoof whilst having a friendly smile, "It's very nice to meet you too Harmony." Colton said as he released the filly and then scratched the back of his head, "I don't know if I would call what just happened a display of confidence, but whatever floats your boat." Colton said as he chuckled slightly.

Colton turned to the quivering unicorn just a few feet away, it seemed that Colton's display of 'aerial acrobatics' to put it loosely had frightened the poor guy. Colton approached cautiously and choose his words carefully, "Hey, um.....you alright buddy? Sorry if I scared you there man......um, no hard feelings?" Colton said as he held out a friendly hoof.

"Ponies.... Crowds... Loud noises.... Ponies.... Crowds.... Loud noises...." Sketch muttered, his eyes were like beads as his forehoofs were on his head. He raised his head, while his eyes shifted quickly, trying to make sense of the scenario. He heard names, he could at least identify the source of his inspiration, and the source of the disturbance, and the third party.

He looked up at Colton's helping hoof but didn't see it that way. there was a flash in his head and in his mind's eye, three figures stood over his cowering body, ready to stomp him further into the ground. Back in reality he had gasped but didn't exhale. He was staying frozen, utterly and entirely intimidated, he had the thousand yard stare and in his paralysis he seemed to have stopped breathing.

Flux remembered cases such as this from her time spent with her father at the Canterlot Medical Centre. Lots of ponies didn't deal very well with the hospital environment and would enter a state similar to Sketch's current one. Unfortunately, that was one of the times that Flux was generally shafted to the side and unable to observe what exactly her father did to calm the anxious party. Taking her best guess, she spoke authoratatively to Colton and Harmony. "We should give him some space. I have seen symptoms such as this before - very extreme reaction can be rather conplicative to ones health. If we give him space and time to calm down, he should return to normal. If that does not occur within about 2 minutes, we should take some sort of medical action."

Flux felt quite akward giving medical advice like this. She was hardly an expert, but it was the best guess that she had. Hoping that she was right, she trotted away from the terrified blue unicorn. "That reminds me, I haven't seen Gladwin since the Centre. How is he doing?" Not wanting to leave Harmony out of the metaphorical loop, she expanded. "Gladwin is a griffin whom I met a few days ago, around the time I met Colton, in fact."

After being given a medical-sounding speech from Flux, Harmony was suddenly very worried that the poor pony was going to...

No, she thought, don't be so silly.

Even after the glaring contest, Harmony felt as though he was her friend. She found Sketch Navy hard to dislike, once seeing how timid he was.

Now the pegasus, on the other hand...

What a clumsy pony! How on Equestria could anypony land on your dining table? It's like, a record for the tip-top-toppety-top of the pinacle of clumsy-ness. Harmony didn't want to judge him though, as any friend of Flux's should be a friend of hers too. Also, he seemed embarassed by his entrance, so she decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Flux was talking to Colton about someone they both knew, and Harmony, who was still in slight shock, couldn't concentrate. She gazed at the quivering unicorn, backing away further to give him more room. Harmony bet Colton would feel really bad for sending Navy into shock like that.

Harmony started humming a soft tune to herself, tapdancing her hooves under the table. Humming always calmed her down, just as dancing mad eher happy, and acting brought her up when she was down.

She continued humming for a while, thenrealised her food, half-eaten, was crushed into the plate, which was cracked. The sweets were crushed too, and her juice was spilt everywhere. Glaring at Colton, she trotted off to find some tissue to wipe the floor with and a plastic bag to put the bits of glass into.

Colton wasn't quite sure if Flux's advice was the best approach for this timid unicorn but since he didn't really see any other option he decided that it would probably be the best course of action. Colton stared at the table and saw the mess he had made, Colton was always a bit 'accident-prone' but never to the extent when it publicly embarrassed him. He had hoped that he didn't make the wrong impression but it was most likely that he did.

Colton then turned his attention back to Flux in response to her question about Gladwin, "Oh yeah Gladwin." Colton said as he tried to piece together his last meeting with the griffin, "I actually ran into him earlier today, it was at this little tea-shop, um, what was it called......Oh right 'A little Slice of Heaven'....I think." Colton said as he hoped he didn't just give false information.

"Anyway we got talking and guess what, it seems Gladwin has found a little 'pony-friend' if you catch my drift." Colton said as he stopped for breath, "Speaking of which, after that we got to talking about me and-" Colton stopped mid-sentence as he remembered where that conversation was going to lead, he stared confused for a few seconds before he responded, "Uh...I'll tell you later." Colton said shyly as he turned his head slightly to hide his blushing on one side.

As the visions of the past came crashing down and reality flooded in, he took in one deep breath and started panting. He turned beet red and saw Harmony leaving and Colton conversing with Flux. Entirely and utterly unsure how to react he took one steep back and bowed his head down.

"I'm..... So sorry. I'll help clean...." He said, wanting a reason to get away from all those ponies, he felt as though he made a fool of himself.If he wasn't on one of his tirades then he was being a complete idiot. He backed away slowly, and then quickly galloped to his table to levitate his napkins. It was then his waiter returned with his sandwich with a side of hay fries. He nodded swiftly, too embarrassed to say "thank you". He started slowly returning to the table of the group he encountered, curious about their conversation. As he began to levitate away food and wipe away spilled drinks, he listened in, curious about the presence of a supposed Griffin.

Flux nodded upon hearing Colton's answer. She had never heard of 'A Little Slice of Heaven', but by its name alone she could surmize that it was likely a pegasus establishment. She was slightly bemused by exactly what Colton meant by 'pony-friend'. However, after a moment, it hit her. Ah, I see. Quite interesting indeed. I wonder who exactly this 'pony-friend' could be. Despite that stray thought, the abrupt stop in Colton's voice made her wonder what it was that he had intended to voice. Had it been something along the lines of his previous information? Or was it pertaining to something else entirely? Deciding to focus on facts rather than supposition, she answered, "It's good to know that he is faring well in Canterlot. You two sound as though you have become excellent friends."

When she noticed the cleaning that Harmony had begun to attempt, Flux started to clear up the flattened remains of her own food. She didn't want to leave all the work to the others. She also saw that Sketch Navy had regained his normal state. Glad that her advice had proved to be at least semi-correct, she made sure to assist him somewhat with the cleaning he had begun. "Harmony," Flux said, wanting to bring up a subject that the foal could discuss as well. "Since you are newly arrived in Canterlot, I suppose you"ll be going to school soon. I believe there is a more pegasus-centred school near the edges of Canterlot. I haven't been their myself, so I can't be more specific. You may want to look into it."

"Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I guess I've been kind of distracted..." Harmony thought, casting a glance to the table-crashing pegasus.

"I'll check it out." she added, smiling. A sudden pinch of nerves spiralled up inside her. School! All the ponies would already have all their friendship circles, she'd be totally alone!

No friends, she'd never been like that! Always the popular girl, everyone chasing her around asking her to sing, all the colts following her with love-heart shaped eyes...

Harmony sat there day dreaming of her old school as Navy cleared up the mess Colton had made. It almost brought tears to her eyes, what a perfect life. But she would never force her father to stay in Cloudsdale after the bad times he experienced there.

She swung her legs and hummed to herself, wondering what to speak to the ponies about.

"How," she suddenly came up with, "do I get my Cutie Mark!?"

Her desire to get her cutie mark was burning through her, as she suddenly forgot all about the table-crashing. Hopefully these older ponies would know what to do to get cutie marks.

Harmony NEEDED hers. Now.

Colton smiled as Flux spoke, "Yeah well, for a griffin he's a real nice guy." Colton said as he rubbed the back of his head, "He gives some really good advice too." Colton said in happy, reminiscent tone. "Speaking of which, there's something I've been meaning to say to you for a long ti-" Colton was interrupted as he noticed Harmony nervously swinging her legs. Nothing could have prepared the pegasus for the next question.

Colton looked back at Flux confused,.....Well, what should I say? She doesn't even know me! How could I give her advice?! Colton asked himself frantically before he calmed himself. He sighed and knelt down so he was at eye-level with Harmony, he looked back nervously at Flux as a way of saying, Here goes nothing....

The pegasus thought hard about his words before he uttered them to the waiting filly, "Harmony....a cutie mark is a very special thing. It can't just appear out of thin air, it's meant to say what a ponies purpose in life is, and nopony and I mean nopony, can find that out overnight. Trust me, I've tried and I've seen lots of ponies going though how you feel." Colton stated as he said it in an almost parental tone, "Just...give it time okay? I'm sure somepony as talented as you will figure it out." Colton said as he gave, what he hoped, was a reassuring smile.

The pegasus turned back to Flux as he stood up and looked at her with a confused face as a way of asking, What the heck did I just do? Content with his word though, Colton stood by them.

"Thank you..." Sketch said slowly as Flux helped him clean. As the table was starting to look somewhat presentable, he noted the conversation about the Griffin continued. He hoped he'd be bale to observe such a being up close. Before he could chock out a question, Harmony had returned and brought up the subject of cutie marks.

He had no strong feelings about them, besides absolutely being satisfied with his own. He wasn't sure what advice to give besides what he always heard. But as his mind continue to run away from him, recalled being bullied in his youth, even though he wasn't a blank flank. It didn't matter, it simply didn't matter...

"You'll get it when you're ready... Not that it'll matter that much..... It's not that important...." he said in an attempt to be comforting, not realizing that he said those other two sentences out loud by accident.

Cutie marks were always a difficult subject to discuss, as there was really very little study into them. As far as Flux was aware, nopony knew why the symbol appeared when one's special talent was realized and the only research had been to conclude what they already knew about them. She listened to the advice given by the other ponies before answering. "I agree with Colton, that things such as discovering your true talent takes time and patience. It is very much a waiting game, but action is required as well. Trying new things or practising those that you already enjoy may help you to realize your talent."

"What Sketch said is valid as well, to an extent. The mark itself is not the importance of earning your cutie mark, the important part is knowing who you are and what your talents are. Such things are the product of maturity and self-knowledge." Flux paused, thinking that her explaination may be a bit too complex. "I suggest strengthening your currrent talents and interests. It can help you learn what exactly you enjoy in each activity and, if that is not what your cutie mark is for, help you discover other areas that may be the one that earns you your mark."

Flux knew that her advice was not the typical 'good things come to those who wait' philosophy that older ponies often suggested. However, she was a firm believer that change and discovery can only come through action. Patience and time are necessary, but without initiative, oppourtunity will slip away.

With Colton and Navy, it was what she'd expected, and what all grown ponies say: It will come when you're ready. Same old, same old. She didn't need to be told again.

However, Flux's advice surprised her.

"I suggest strengthening your currrent talents and interests. It can help you learn what exactly you enjoy in each activity and, if that is not what your cutie mark is for, help you discover other areas that may be the one that earns you your mark." she said.

So basically, thought Harmony, I should improve at performing? I enjoy that... if it counts...

"So, what you're saying is," Harmony checked with Flux, "if I get better at my favourite things, my cutie mark might appear?"

She bounced in her seat in excitement at the thought.

All the foals in her new class wouldn't leave her out at all. They would envy the new gal, jealous of the first one to get a cutie mark. They'd be asking of her story, complimenting the design, admiring her special talent.

Now... what should she try first...?

Suddenly remembering her company, she noticed that the two ponies were stood up.

"Anyhow, take a seat Colton. and You, Navy. No fun sat alone, eh?" Harmony said, trotting away then coming back pushing two bales of hay toward the ponies.

Colton was never good at dealing with such 'delicate matters' such as this, especially with kids but despite that though Colton thought he did an okay job of explaining it but probably that Flux could explain it better than him. And what do you know, he was right, Colton thought were he even got his words from and instantly though of his dad, Well I guess my old man really was spewing trash all those years. Colton said as he chuckled slightly.

Colton nodded as Harmony generously brought both him and Navy a seat, the pegasus turned to Harmony, "Thank you Harmony, that was very kind of ya." Colton said as he smiled and hopped onto the chair. The pegasus stretched his back in a attempt to get comfortable and he then turned to Navy and spoke gently, "Harmony's right buddy, come on and pull up a chair....er ah, or bale, either one's good." Colton nodded with a smile.

"Ms. Flux is exactly right..." Navy quietly informed Harmony as she pulled up a hay stack. He stared at it for a long while and watched Colton take up the seat in good cheer. Navy nervously and passively took up the seat, unsure of what to do. He wasn't used to this overt friendliness and he started to get nervous.

"Th-Thanks...." He said slowly. He was jittery, unsure if he should go get his things. He was always uncomfortable without his stuff and it was clear in his countenance. He turned around and looked at his abandoned table, but he didn't want to be rude. His tail flapped around in his great uncertainty an he stayed where he was, uncomfortable with the new company. He simply nodded appropriately.

"I believe so. That's the method I used, at any rate," Flux responded. She wasn't usually called upon for advice-giving and she wasn't exactly a pony of great social knowledge, so Flux had gone with the answer she knew best. Her own attempts at earning a cutie mark combined with the formal education on what little was know about the mysterious symbols can driven her to the conclusion that she had presented to Harmony. The unicorn merely hoped that her advice had been sound and would help the young filly in some way.

Flux was suddenly at a loss for a topic of conversation. She didn't want to draw too much attention to the clearly uncomfortable Sketch, but she didn't want to shun him from the conversation. She decided on a relatively safe topic, addressed mostly at Harmony, but that could be expanded to encompass all four of the ponies. "So, any career ideas yet, Harmony?" Flux was fairly certain of the answer she would get, but the unicorn asked regardless.

"Not until I get my cutie mark." frowned Harmony.

"Actually," she said, perking up, "I'd quite like to be a famous performer."

After a moments thought, rubbing her chin, she cried, "Can you get a cutie mark in getting cutie marks?!"

With a bright idea, she stood up and trotted toward the pianist again.

They whispered for a moment, then the pianist agreed.

A fun tune began to plonk from the piano, improvised.

"Ooooohhhh,

What could my cutie mark be?

When will it finally come to me?

There's so many possibilitieeeeessss....

A cutie mark in making money,

A cutie mark in being funny,

A cutie mark in selling birds,

A cutie mark in writing words,

A cutie mark in teaching school,

A cutie mark in being coooooool...

What could it be, why won't it come to me?

A flank without a mark is far too blank,

I need inspiration and I need some idea,

Anybody here?" she sang perfectly.

With a final plonk, the short tune was finished.