Hyphen[FINAL]

Hylianhero

Name: Hyphen

Sex: Female

Species: Unicorn

Pelt Color: Yellow

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style:Ruffled looking, short black mane, with an equally ruffled medium length black tail.

Eye Color:Magenta

Cutie Mark:A pair of masks (Comedy and Tragedy)overlaying an Ionic pillar.

Physique: Fairly slender, and taller than most ponies. Somewhat lanky.

Origin: Canterlot, currently residing in a tent in the desert near Appleoosa.

Roleplay Type: FIM/Show RP

Motivation: Dreams of uncovering a relic that will land her recognition as the great archeologist in history.

Likes: Ruins, nature, organization, animals, especially reptiles.

Dislikes: Cities, Modernization, 'posh' ponies, spiders.

Character Summary: Hyphen the unicorn was born in Canterlot, to her parents Comma and Tilde, editors for an international publishing company. She would always get in trouble with her parents for digging in the back yard. Her parents were often working, though there was always at leas one of them at home, so she was never really alone. Her favorite days were during the summer, when her family would take a week long camping trip to a forest, or a lake, somewhere different every time. She didn't much care for the city, and when she started going to school she didn't interact much with the other foals. She was always fascinated by her history classes. She got her cutie mark on a class trip to a dig site, where her horn started inexplicably glowing. She ran in panic, and the glow faded. When she walked back, her horn started glowing again. Her teacher told her to move around, and they realized her horn was glowing more when she was closer to the ruins. But that didn't explain why it had suddenly started glowing when she was standing on a seemingly empty patch of ground. Hyphen got an idea, and started digging at the ground. She unearthed a stone tablet written in what appeared to be several ancient languages. The archeologists on duty recognized the Draconian language, as well as the old equestrian, but the third language on the tablet, a mess of picture like symbols, was beyond them. She was so caught up in listening to the excavators that she didn't even notice the flash of light indicating that she had earned her cutie mark.

After finishing school, she went to Celestia's School for Talented Unicorns, where she majored in Ancient Civilizations and Minored in theater. She currently lives in a tent in the desert near Appaloosa, where she is working with a crew on one of many active dig sites in that area. When she isn't at a dig site, she usually teaches the Ancient Civilizations course at a the university in Canterlot.

She is a very outgoing pony, and loves meeting new people. She is really clumsy, with her larger-than-normal frame, and she blushes a lot. She is fairly talented at magic, but the only spells she really uses on a regular basis are:

A relic finding spell, which is exactly what it sounds like, and various light spells, which she uses at night to pour over old books and texts, or to navigate ancient corridors.

She is also extremely passionate about her relics, and will not tolerate any ignorance on the matter. If you do not know something that she deems 'essential information', she will not hesitate to lecture you on it for hours. She owns a hot air balloon used to view dig sites from above. She has a pet Bearded Dragon by the name of Plato, who is almost always found stretched out on her back or on top of her head or shoulder.

I love the history/archaeology character. the one thing i really wanna get on ur hoof on is your cutie mark. It's a theater symbol and yet she digs for ancient relics. I do like the idea of the Greek Ionic pillar and that is really associate with antique archaeology. Perhaps a patterned pot or something if that doesnt suite you (im willing to discuss this in a chat or messaging if u want).

Well, the idea behind the masks is her comprehension of ancient prose and poetry, symbolized by the masks used as far back as greek theater, with the pillar there to help 'Anchor' her as history-based, rather than theater.

Edit: Realised I don't really have anything else to add. Changing it to [Final].

Hay there, just wanted to stop by and lend a helping hoof. I do like this character, and she seems as though she would fit in rather well. There are some topics that I would like to touch on with you however. First off being her cutie-mark story. While it is perfectly fine for her to have the equivalent of a metal detector spell except applied to ruins, it is a little too off the wall to have her be able to read an ancient language with no prior training in the skill at all. Languages take a very long time to master, even if you are exceptionally skilled, it would make her more reasonable if that chunk were removed. Jumping down to the spells, having a spell that gives her wings is again, very powerful. If you remember it was very taxing for even Twilight Sparkle to cast a spell that gave Rarity a pair of butterfly wings. Twilight Sparkle of course being an Alpha Class unicorn according to the UMAT. Usually OC unicorns are of the Gama or below classification, now mind you this is not a bad thing. Most of my Unicorn characters are actually Delta or below and they play perfectly well. I am not saying that she can not be good at her special talent, rather that the majority of her spells and abilities should be linked to it, and for you to use Twilight Sparkle as the top of the line model. Also you might want to expound a little on her relationship with her parents, just a little fluff to give her some more character.

Other than that, she is looking rather well put together!

~Sage AkA Freddie Freewings

Thanks for the help Pony_Sage! I'll definitely take your ideas into account, though I think I'll aim for Gamma level. As for the tablet, I think I'll have her discover the pony equivalent of the Rosetta Stone, maybe with Old Equestrian, Dragon, and some other unknown language on it. That could symbolize the language aspect of her talent well enough. I'll take out the wings and give her a balloon though, as that's more plausible by far. Thanks again :3