[Ponyville] New place, New home, New Observatory [Open]

Conor Colton

The black pelted, red and black haired pegasus Darkest Dawn had just arrived in Ponyville after a long trip from his previous residence in the city of Canterlot. Dawn found himself taking this trip because he had purchased an old observatory in the humble town from whatever money he could scrape together. It wasn't much to look at from the images he had seen but Dawn saw it as a golden opportunity to continue his research in astronomy.

When Dawn arrived at the town square however, he found that all his eagerness had turned into nervousness as he observed this strange new town that was foreign to him. Dawn had never seen much outside of Canterlot so he didn't know exactly how to go about this, he felt slightly 'out of place'. Dawn tried to reassure himself in his head, Just relax Dawn, nothing's as bad as you usually make it out to be. Dawn thought as he tried to feel better about his current situation.

The pegasus decided that before he goes to see his new home that he would try and take in the sights of the town and maybe get to know a few ponies while he was at it. Dawn looked around at the crowded town square and looked at all the colourful buildings as he contemplated what to do next, .....So then...where first? Dawn asked himself as he scratched his head in thought.

TwoTones watched silently as a new pony entered the village. Stealth really wasn't his thing, but he tried to keep an eye on the visitor without his noticing.

As ever, TwoTone had assumed his place at the threshold to the small town, listening for cries for help, waiting for anypony to need him. He was ready to cater to everypony's wishes, to care for the young foals, to use his magic for good matters, when this black pelted, red-black-haired pegasus came walking into the village, apparently not noticing TwoTones, leant in the shadows.

The pony had a look of eagerness on his face as he trotted in. TwoTones, curious, followed behind him. He hoped the Pegasus wouldn't discover him, since TwoTone was rather shy. Should the Pegasus turn and see him, Tones would gallop away as fast as his hooves would carry him and hope not to bump into him ever again.

Crash!

Tones was so lost in thought that he tripped over his own hooves, called out in shock, and skidded into a stand selling vegetables. Tones had never felt so embarrassed in his entire life. He had also never realised how heavy vegetables were. Ponies were staring as he awkwardly rose back up onto four hooves, shaking his yellow and blue mane free from leaves and crumbs.

Feeling a bright beet root, Tones wobbled dizzily and fell back to the floor, hitting his head on the ground. The world was swimming around him. He began to wish he hadn't followed the pegasus at all as he scrunched his eyes shut and attempted to fight against a beating headache.

Dawn was trolling towards a nearby building when he heard a crash behind him, the pegasus nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound. He thought something had gone seriously wrong but he turned to see a pony on the ground, surrounded by vegetables and other curious ponies.

Dawn cautiously approached the near unconscious pony and watched as every pony around the two stared oddly at Dawn's sudden impulse to help the downed stranger. Dawn waved his hoof in front of the ponies face to see if he would respond, the pony lifted his head slightly as a sign of recondition so Dawn continued to what he was going to say. "Uh...excuse me sir, are you alright?" Dawn asked as he looked at the ponies around him and shrugged.

Oh dear. Trust the Pegasus Tones was following to approach him.

"Uh... excuse me sir... are you alright?" asked the Pegasus, waving his hoof across Tones' eyes, presumably to see if his vision was working. Nodding slightly to acknowledge him, TwoTones groaned a reply. "MmmMmMmm..."

He blushed and spluttered, trying to keep his eyes wide open to concentrate on his concerned pony. He swayed as he clambered to his hooves. Suddenly taking into account, Tones noticed all the ponies watching him. He coughed and looked down at the ground where he'd fallen, wishing all his concerned neighbours would trot off.

He bent down and began to collect the vegetables he'd caused to tumble everywhere. Placing them as neatly as he could onto the disturbed stand. The owner was shocked, staring blankly as Tones put back all the products onto her stall, still swaying precariously.

His head felt like it was bleeding, and he wanted to trot home and snuggle up in bed, where he was safe from the danger of vegetable stalls.

Dawn saw that the pony was embarrassed by the current state of events, not wanting to make a scene he turned to the crowd as the mystery pony stood up, "All right everypony, he's okay, just move along.....nothing to see here." Dawn said as the crowd dissipated.

Dawn shook his head and turned back to the mystery pony who was seemingly trying to fix the mess he had made. Dawn walked over and thought that an introduction was in order, "Anyway, um...My name is Darkest Dawn, pleasure to meet you." Dawn said as he held out a friendly hoof. He noticed that the pony was still swaying about even after he stood up again, Dawn almost right away voiced his concern, "You, uh...sure you're alright sir?"

"D-Darkest Dawn... nice name." Tones smiled, reaching out to shake his hoof. With a slip and a crash, the poor pony fell again and hit his chin on the concrete. When asked if he was sure he was alright, all he could manage was a long, pained groan.

Quite frankly, Tones wanted to sleep right there in the middle of the street.

He stayed on the floor, his chin bleeding a little, for what felt like a while, until he was sure he could stand without falling and embarrassing himself again. With great care, TwoTone stood up and shook the hoof that was offered to him.

"TwoTones, protector of Ponyville. Care for a snack?" he spoke, as his belly rumbled loudly. He wiped his chin with the back of his hoof and practiced moving his sore jaw.

He smiled timidly at Darkest Dawn, wondering what he did for a living. His name suggested something bad, but he seemed like a friendly pony. He also pondered silently as to why he'd decided to come to his humble town of Ponyville.

"Thank you." Dawn said just as the pony fell flat on his face again. He cringed and rolled his eyes as the pony continued addressing him floor and Dawn chuckled slightly as he did. When the pony told Dawn his name, he took a bit of a step back before responding.

"Well TwoTones, it's very nice to meet you." The pegasus said as he considered what the pony meant by 'protector of Ponyville' he couldn't help but ask about it, "So.....you're the protector of Ponyville then?" Dawn asked as he chuckled, "Well if you don't mind me saying TwoTones, I think your balance need a little tweaking." Dawn said as he laughed lightly.

He then considered the last of TwoTones' statement, he looked up at the sun to see what time of day it was and he responded afterwards, "A snack you say?....Well I suppose I have the time, but I might have to make it quick, I gotta go sign for my new house, there's a deadline and all." Dawn stated as he scratched the back of his head.

"My-my balance? I'm not usu- it's just- i'm- urm- yes." he finished with a resigned sigh, feeling rosy red rather than yellow and blue. He dug his hooves at the ground, trying to give himself a distraction. He was timid anyway, let alone when he'd made a fool of himself in front of the entire village. Hopefully they'd forgive him soon, as he had always helped them out when they needed him. Tones suddenly remembered he was conversing with somebody, as Darkest Dawn spoke.

"A snack you say?....Well I suppose I have the time, but I might have to make it quick, I gotta go sign for my new house, there's a deadline and all." said Dawn, scratching his head.

"Well, then, perhaps, maybe, we could go and sign for it, together... then I could give you a helping hoof moving in... if you want." Tones suggested quietly, rubbing his hoof nervously against his neck, as he always did when anxious or embarrassed. He stopped, gazed down at the floor, and hoped sincerely that he'd managed to make a new friend, even if it was through the most embarassig way possible. All the ponies in the town were going to be laughing at him, until somepony else was clumsy enough to do such a foolish thing.

That could be a long while, he thought sadly.

He gave Dawn a hopeful gaze, then gazed up at the sunny sky. A nice day, he noted happily. At least something was right today.

"Well most of my things have already been moved there before I got here......so I doubt you could help on that regard, but, sure why not." Dawn said with a smile as he held out a friendly hoof to help Tones to his hooves. Dawn seemed like he had made a new friend, despite his clumsiness, Dawn saw the good in ponies when he tried to and today was no exception.

As the two walked towards Dawn's new home, the pegasus noticed that Tones was awfully quiet whether that was his overall personality or because of the incident that took place Dawn didn't know. He tried to think of a good way that the two would share common ground over a conversation, Dawn usually asked a pony about their profession when he first met them so he figured why not try. Dawn blew his hair up slightly as it was in his eyes and began his line of questioning as it were, "So TwoTones....you said you were the 'Protector of Ponyville' right? This may seem like a stupid question but what exactly do you do to protect Ponyville?" Dawn asked as he choose his words carefully.

Tones trotted with the new pony to his new home. Dawn questioned his title as Protector.

"When I was a little colt..." TwoTones paused, unsure weather to tell his backstory to this almost stranger. He thought for a moment. What harm could it do? It would also explain to Dawn why he was how he was, so...

"When I was a little colt," he repeated, "there were some older colts, that found it amusing to insult me about my... Two tones."

Going into flashback mode. It was all going to flow out.

"They were there every day, laughing and jeering. Sometimes they whispered, sometimes they joked, sometimes they hit me.

I had no friends, I couldn't concentrate in class, and then my father died. Not bearing to see him so gravely ill, my mother ran away, leaving me alone to care for my baby sister. I grew to love her, and she was the only pony I could even look at without feeling scared. And, one day, her school was closed so I had no option but to take her with me, to my school, and...

The colts came over to me, backing me into a corner. My sister, silly her," he smiled sadly, "stood up for me. The little foal told the bullies who's boss, but then... they used magic, to levitate her high into the sky... and they said they would drop her for being so outgoing toward them, and the she cried... H E L P. And my brotherly instincts flew into action. I bowled over the bullies, and caught my little sister, and I sure did teach them a lesson. And just like that, my cutie mark appeared: a heart, guarded by a golden shield. That's when I discovered my destiny, to protect others. Now, I get up at the crack of dawn, and I sit on a bale of hay near the entrance to Ponyville. Through magic, I can hear when ponies are distressed in my village. I rush to help them. I care for the little foals when they need me." Tones explained slowly. "They call me Toney." he added, chuckling.

He oddly felt happier after explaining his Cutie mark tale to Dawn, as though a burden on his back had been lifted. He smiled softly to himself, trotting steadily in the same direction as Dawn. TwoTones turned to his new friend to read the reaction on his face.

Dawn wasn't expecting such a lengthy explanation, the pegasus was out right shocked at the level of detail TwoTones told to a near stranger such as him. The events of Tones' story had Dawn think about how hard it must have been growing up for the poor guy and all the hardships the pony went through were depressing to say the least.

Trying not to sound rude Dawn uttered a few words after Tones was finished, "Wow TwoTones......That was...wow." Dawn said as he mentally slapped himself for sounding like such an idiot. Dawn then saw that Tones was actually content with the current situation, even after telling that rather depressing tale, Well if he isn't worried about it, I guess I shouldn't be... Dawn thought to himself as he approached the front door to his new observatory.

"Well here we are." Dawn stated as he flung open the door.

Darkest Dawn was trotting to a house in front of them.

Trotting contentedly, TwoTones followed beside him, with a childish excitement building up inside him, wondering what the interior was like. There were so many possibilities when a new area was presented.

"Well, here we are..." said Dawn, pushing the front door open.

Tones stepped into the house. It was big. That was enough for Tones' mind to take in for the moment. B-I-G.

"So," TwoTones started, "What convinced you to move to this humble village? It's hardly the big city of Canterlot, no?"

Dawn looked in, amazed at his new working and living space. The observatory telescope looked like it hadn't been used in years and the walls and floors had noticeable cracks but Dawn looked at the positives and saw it more as a 'fixer-upper' rather than a liability.

He proudly trotted in to the main area where the telescope was located, he ran his hoof along the controls and felt almost right at home. The pegasus was soo excited that he would finally be able to get some serious research going as he was usually held back in Canterlot by lack of equipment and other essentials.

The pegasus turned to TwoTones and responded to the pony's enquiry, "Well this place was cheaper than anything I could find in Canterlot, besides, there were far too many complications that came up when I used to live there." Dawn said as he looked further around his new home.

"Oh yes?" Tones replied, watching Dawn run his hoof across the astronomical equipment. He didn't press the matter, and rather mentioned the state of the observatory.

"Could use some dusting..." he muttered, blowing a desk and sending a puff of dust into the air, making himself sneeze. Anyhow, the pony seemed rather pleased with his new living space. Tones followed him around, admiring the wallpapers, furniture, windows, everything there was to see.

TwoTones felt that this fixer-Upper job was quite the mansion compared to his small one-pony home down the street. He quite fancied moving in with this pony. Tones laughed aloud at the thought, then asked Dawn, "So I take it you're an astronomer. Do you like..." Tones paused, trying to think of the right word. Deciding there wasn't one, he finished, "astronomating?"

Dawn turned towards TwoTones and laughed at the pony's last comment, "Yeah I am an Astronomer, and yeah I guess you could call what I do 'astronomating'." Dawn said as he tried to contain his laughter even further.

Dawn took notice of a two small pieces of paper laying on a dusty old table, the pegasus saw that they were relatively new and decided to investigate. One piece of paper was the deed to the observatory, it had all the usual business related stuff on so Dawn tucked it away for further storage.

Dawn then picked up the second piece of paper, and to his surprise it was a letter from his parents in Canterlot. It read 'Congratulations Son, we knew you'd make it eventually, we're all rooting for you." And then it was signed. Dawn smiled archly as he carefully tucked the letter back into his pocket.

The smell that danced in the air was that of damp and dust. Scrunching his nose up, Tones turned around, to see Dawn smiling as he put a peice of paper into his pocket. Not one to intrude, TwoTones didn't ask any questions.

His stomach groaned again, this time rumbling around the echoing room.

"I don't suppose you have any food here already? I'm kind of hungry..." Tones trailed off, realising he sounded rude.

"Never mind." he said quietly. TwoTones mentally kicked himself for being so impolite, trotting around the room in circles, not really taking anything in anymore.

Honestly, what did your parents teach you? he told himself, then suddenly skidded to a halt.

Oh yes, you ARE your parents, he thought sadly, closing his eyes and pouting. Suddenly he opened his eyes, angry, WHY are you so mean to me? he asked himself crossly.

Realising he must look like a complete and utter weirdo pulling all these faces, Tones blushed and mumbled nonsense to hide his embarassment. It did not work at all.

Well there you go, he told himself angrily, you managed to make a fool of yourself in front of a new friend twice. It's a wonder they dont ban you from their house! Honestly, TwoTones.

Tones sighed sadly.

Dawn was pulled away from thoughts of his parents when Tones asked the pegasus a rather peculiar question. Dawn stuttered for a second, hoping he heard the pony right. The pegasus choose his words carefully before he spoke, "Um...I don't think I have anything to eat...." Dawn said as he rubbed the back of his head confused.

Dawn got back to his work of unpacking but out of the corner of his eye he saw Tones seemingly 'feuding' with himself, Dawn thought that the pony had just stubbed his toe or something but didn't really give it much thought. When Tones continued on like this however, Dawn started to get kind of worried about the ponies well being. Dawn didn't want to say anything wrong so he said his next words carefully, "Uh...you alright Tones? You look little.... distressed."

Not sure weather to tell the truth to Dawn, Tones trotted around for a while, arguing with himself again.

"Forever fighting, me and my mind..." he sighed. "it likes to point out my bad points."

Not wanting to be the melancholy pony that repelled new friends, TwoTones put on a perky expression.

"I'm fine. So, whatcha wanna do?"

That, he thought, was the worst acting eqestria had ever seen. His eyebrows knitting together, he told his mind, very firmly, to be quiet.

And thus, Tones' mind obeyed.

Enjoying the silence that washed over, TwoTones perched onto an armchair, sending a puff of dust into the air, and consequently beginning to sneeze uncontrollably "so - what - do - you - want - to - do?" he sneezed.

Dawn looked oddly at the pony as he continued feuding with himself, and being rather dramatic if I do say so myself. The pegasus considered what he 'wanted to do' and responded accordingly, "Well I can't really think of anything to do other than....un-pack." Dawn said as he rubbed the back of his head in shame.

Dawn wanted some time to really 'settle in' before he went and interacted with the ponies of the town, he had to say this gently though, less he upset Tones even further, "Well listen Tones, I kinda need to get settled in and sort of get my bearings before I do anything." Dawn said as he realised how much of a jerk he must have sounded like, "But...you know where I live so pop back any time you get the chance, I'd be glad to do something with you, but now..." Dawn said as he gestured all over the messy observatory.

"Yeah..." Dawn said as he became more and more ashamed of himself, "......Your not...mad...right?" Dawn said as he braced himself for the 'verbal-storm' that was to come.

TwoTones' mind had told him so: he'd done it, conpletely made a fool of himself and now Dawn was asking him to leave.

Trotting to the general direction he entered, he looked down at his hooves, ashamed. "No, of course not. I understand... Goodbye."

Although Dawn was being polite, Tones knew when he was not wanted, and sadly opened the front door to the observatory, ready to canter home and get some food.

"Goodbye Dawn..." he mumbled, trotting into the fresh air, the happy chattering of the residents filling the sky. The sun beamed on Tones' face as he shut the door.

Not sure if he wanted to leave just yet, he sat in front of the observatory and gazed at the exterior for a while, thinking about his actions today, and how he could of prevented them. And then finally, with a mopey sigh, he stood up and trotted back to his house.

Dawn watched as Tones walked sadly out of the observatory, he had never felt worse in his entire life. When Tones left Dawn stumbled over so chair, took a massive breath and then sat down. Dawn was now alone with his thoughts but sadly his thoughts weren't very kind at the moment, Why did you do that?! He kept mentally asking himself, every time it making him feel worse about his actions.

Dawn sat and moped for a few more moments before he eventually pulled himself together, Okay Dawn, don't worry about it, he knew you weren't trying to be rude. He said to reassure himself, You can't let something like this get you down, you gotta pull through and stay strong in this new place. He thought to himself as he proudly marched over to his things and started unpacking, awaiting what other surprises the day would hold for him.

(OOC: Thanks for RPing with me on this SkyMunki :D )