After the Pageant [Canterlot] [Open]

Neoniie

Quantum Flux trotted out of the theatre hall and into the outer hall. The pageant had wrapped up only a few moments ago and the playgoers were slowly pouring out of their seats and into the cozy afterchamber. The white unicorn had never before entered the Royal Castle and felt quite overwhelmed with the noble atomsphere. Despite being raised in Canterlot, her parents were not particularly set on acting like high-class citizens. She had been exposed to such an atmosphere by her peers, but Flux had never quite personally ajdusted to it.

She followed the emptying crowd into the afterchamber, not wanting to leave immediately after the pageant. Though the unicorn had seen the annual Hearth's Warming Eve pageant many times before and knew the story from her university classes, it had become somewhat of a tradition for her family to attend the event. However, this year, her father and mother were otherwise engaged and Flux had attended alone. She wondered if anypony she knew had frequented the event as well and to that end, she entered the fireplace-lit chamber.

In the chamber, several cushions surrounded a roaring fireplace. The falling snow was visible outside the large decorated windows that lined with stone bricks that made up the castle. A long line of ponies had already begun to lineup near the back of the chamber, where a banquent table held all varieties of seasonal delicacies. Deciding that the table at the back should be her first destination, Flux picked her way to the back and leviatated a silver plate toward herself.

She piled the plate with several fruits and vegatables, topping it off with a slice of a seasonally decorated cake. As she trotted over to a nearby cushion, the unicorn observed that the ponies trickling into the chamber had severely decreased, leading her to believe that most of the ponies who were entering the afterchamber had already done so. Flux didn't recognize anypony among the throng, so she took her seat and began to eat her food in silence, assuming that somepony would see her better this way.

The lasts of the playgoers were beginning to leave the theater hall. Many were still talking amongst themselves and praising the performances by the cast. Ember Heart stood in his place, still watching the empty stage. All of Ember Heart's friends had left already. Most wanted to go check out what the capital city had to offer for entertainment. He planned on meeting up with them later to watch the derby, but for now he just wanted to explore the public areas of the castle. This was his first visit and he wanted to see as much as he could before visiting hours were over.

He walked up to one on the stain glass windows in the massive hall and read the description. The image was that of Discord, the spirit of chaos. It depicted his defeat at the hooves of the Princess Luna and Princess Celestia.
"Wow."
He whispered to himself. He started walking over to another window when a voice spoke up from behind.
"The theater hall will be closing soon. There are refreshments in the next chamber. Feel free to help yourself."

Ember Heart turned towards the pegasus. The guard was wearing typical golden palace guard armor. His face lacked emotion.
"Yes. S
orry sir. I was just admiring the artwork. It is quite lovely."
He smiled at the guard hoping that he would let him stay for a few more minutes.

"Copies of the windows are on the display in the museum of art. Now please, the hall needs to be cleared."

Ember Heart frowned a little at the guard's response.
"Yes, sir."
He tightened his violet scarf with his magic and started to make his way towards the exit. He took a few more glances at the other windows but was unable to read the descriptions from his distance. Another guard raised his hoof to direct Ember Heart out of the hall. With one last look back he walked through the doors into the next room.

There were quite a few ponies still in the next room. Some were waiting in line for refreshments while others were eating and talking. A small rumble shook his stomach. He was hungry. Ember Heart made his way over to the the line and took his place. He looked around while the line slowly moved forward. The hall was very well decorated. He was impressed. Fillydelphia didn't have anything like it. He felt a tap on his back and realized that it was the pony behind him letting him know that the line had moved forward. Ember Heart pulled over a shiny plate and walked over to the banquet table.

There were many delicious options available. He had to tough time deciding which breads, fruits, and vegetables to take. He decided to go with a blend and walked back over to the lounging area. There were many places to sit but one in particular caught his attention. It was a group of cushions in front of a large fireplace. A unicorn was already at the spot eating her food alone. Ember Heart decided upon that spot and trotted over.
"That was quite a wonderful performance don't you think?"
He said with a smile as he took a seat on one the cushions.

As she ate, Quantum Flux had been contemplating the past in silence. It wasn't often that she became so sentimental, but the generally atmosphere of Hearth's Warming Eve made her think back to her foalhood. She remembered going carolling with her mother and father back in her birthplace of Fillydelphia. She had always managed to sing the last note of one particular carol and it had frustrated the foal version of Flux to no end. Her mother had promised, with a slight laugh, to sing that last part with her so that her out-of-tune note would not be spotted. She also remembered the quiet Hearth's Warming Eves spent alone at Canterlot University, studiously practising for the upcoming examinations.

Returned to the present with in a flash, Flux flicked her ear towards the sound of an unfamiliar voice. "That was quite a wonderful performance don't you think?" It took her a moment to realise that the voice was addressing her. With that knowledge, Flux turned from her position on the cushion to face the black unicorn who had spoken.

"Why yes," she answered, returning his smile. "I am no theatre aficionado, but it was very well produced, in my opinion. I was quite surprised to learn that several of the ponies filling the starring toles were not actors by trade, and still, their performance was excellent." She was surprised to see another unicorn here alone. Flux had assume that most ponies had attended with family or friends, though it was possible that this stallion's friends had left the premises already.

After a few seconds of silence, Flux became aware that she had not introduced herself. "How forgetful of me, I did not even introduce myself. I am Quantum Flux."

Ember Heart was surprised to learn that some of the lead stars were not professionals. The pegasus that played Commander Hurricane managed to mimic his arrogance and pride perfectly. It was just like what he read in school. The play also had much better props. The annual show in Fillydelphia mainly relied on lighting effects from unicorns. Fillydelphia's last pageant was quite underwhelming. The the last Commander Hurricane was played by a griffin. It wasn't a big deal to most Fillydelphians since there were many different species living there, but Ember Heart didn't like the historical inaccuracies. This was also the first play that he had been to where they picked the perfect pony to play the role of the eccentric Chancellor. He recalled laughing a few times at the absurdity of the pony's actions.

"How forgetful of me, I did not even introduce myself. I am Quantum Flux."

"Pleased to meet you, Quantum Flux. I am Ember Heart." Ember Heart bowed his head as a gesture of respect. "I am visiting from Fillydelphia with my friends. We had heard many wonderful things about the pageant that they have here each year and we just had to see it. It is one of my favorite events of the season!" He lifted a small sweet roll off of his plate and took a bite. It had a rich flavor, yet it wasn't overwhelming. He inspected the pastry and noted the small carrot bits that stuck to the top of the frosting. 'Of course! The carrot bits would balance out the flavor more.' He was impressed. It was a recipe that he would be sure to take back home to his mother's bakery.

Ember Heart set the rest of the roll back on his plate and set the plate on the elegant rug that stretched across the chamber. He was curious about what the filly was doing here alone. Most of the ponies that attended came in parties. "Are you visiting the capital as well?"

"Pleased to meet you, Quantum Flux. I am Ember Heart." Flux returned his bow, as her canterlot upbringing had deemed fit. "I am visiting from Fillydelphia with my friends. We had heard many wonderful things about the pageant that they have here each year and we just had to see it. It is one of my favorite events of the season!" Flux nodded, both in agreement and in interest, pleasantly surprised to find a pony from Fillydelphia.

"You are from Fillydelphia? How interesting, I spent some of my foalhood living there. I'm suprised you decided to attend, due to the distance between Canterlot and Fillydelphia." Flux remembered the annual Fillydelphian pageant very faintly, only remembering that year's Clover the Clever had been an Earth Pony. Flux had found that to be an odd casting choice, but at her young age, she could only just keep the story

straight in her mind. Those were the years before she'd found her special talent and delved into studying. She had known some obscure things before, but they had been more along the lines of facts that would impress other foals than truly interesting information.

As she spoke, Flux realized that she was already halfway to answering Ember Heart's other question, "Are you visiting the capital as well?"

"Actually, I live in Canterlot. The city is quite nice around Hearth's Warming Eve, especially since our pageant tends to be well put together. Though, I can guess that the reason for such a professional pageant is that there is always a chance of one of the Royal Sisters attending." Flux's face had a slightly confused crease to it when she continued. "In fact, this was the first year that I have not seen Princess Celestia attending. Perhaps they decided to be more descrete about it. If I am correct, it would be Princess Luna's first Hearth's Warming Eve since her return." Flux let that line of thought drop, it wasn't really her place to question the choices of the Princesses.

"How is Fillydelphia, then? I have not returned there since I left." Flux had only been reminded of such a fact by Ember Heart's appearance. She noted it, deciding that a trip there would have to be in order soon.

The show had just finished and they began singing the song. Insight was glad that he made it home to see his mother and enjoy this festive celebration. He was away from home far too long. As they sang the last few lines of the song, Insight had hugged his mother who was happy to return the gesture as well. As everypony began to leave, Insight had told his mother that he would be staying around a bit to see if any of his friends had attended. He went on to the next chamber in the hopes of seeing them. Unfortunately, the ponies he had hoped for hadn't showed up, or he just totally missed them. He decided to grab something to eat. He levitated a few pieces of grapes into a plate and a slice of Apple Pie. He then carried the plate with his hoof and he trotted down to one of the cushions and started to eat.

He had decided to wait for them, if they haven't come by here yet. For now he wondered if he could start a conversation with one of the few ponies left in the chamber. He was unsure if he wanted to start a conversation. He was gone most of the year so he has not gotten any news on the current happenings around Canterlot. He decided to keep silent.

((Sorry Xiee. I wasn't sure if you were waiting for the right moment to join in or if you had your own entry plan.))

"You are from Fillydelphia? How interesting, I spent some of my foalhood living there. I'm suprised you decided to attend, due to the distance between Canterlot and Fillydelphia."

Ember Heart briefly thought back to the fortunate drawing that brought him and his friends to Canterlot. His friend, Torrent, had won an all expense paid trip for him and six friends to Canterlot for the Winter Wonderbolt Derby. Ember Heart wasn't much of a fan of the Wonderbolts but he wasn't going to turn down a trip to the capital city. In fact, Ember Heart seemed to be the only one that was looking forward to the pageant.

"Actually, I live in Canterlot. The city is quite nice around Hearth's Warming Eve, especially since our pageant tends to be well put together. Though, I can guess that the reason for such a professional pageant is that there is always a chance of one of the Royal Sisters attending."

Ember Heart's eyes widened a bit at the mention of the Royal Sisters. He only now realized that neither of the two princesses were in attendance.

"In fact, this was the first year that I have not seen Princess Celestia attending. Perhaps they decided to be more descrete about it. If I am correct, it would be Princess Luna's first Hearth's Warming Eve since her return."

Ember Heart felt a bit of envy towards the filly. He had never seen either of the two princesses and yet, Quantum Flux sounded as if it were a casual occurrence to see one. He hoped that at least one of them would attend the derby. He hadn't heard much about the return of the Princess of the Night other than how she was changed back to her old self by six heroes. Many of the ponyfolk in Fillydelphia still thought of her as the monster from the old stories, Nightmare Moon.

"How is Fillydelphia, then? I have not returned there since I left."

Ember Heart paused as he was about the take another bit from his sweet roll. It was such a general question. "I doubt much has changed since you left. The college campus has expanded a lot in the last couple of years." He wasn't sure what else there was that was worth mentioning. "I am sure that you heard about the parasprite infestation that occurred a while back. Disgusting little things. It was so severe that we required assistance from Canterlot and Manehattan to deal with it." It wasn't an event that he remembered fondly. The food shortage almost forced his mother to close down the bakery. He took a moment to take another bite out of his sweet roll. He smiled widely as he savored the rich flavor.

Ember Heart spotted another unicorn standing off to the side. He seemed to be waiting for something. "Which of these schools do you attend. I would imagine that Canterlot has much to offer." Ember asked as he turned back towards the filly. Canterlot was famous for its institutions. Almost every unicorn in Equestria wanted to be enrolled Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Ember Heart neither had the money nor the connections to get into one of the universities.

"I doubt much has changed since you left. The college campus has expanded a lot in the last couple of years.I am sure that you heard about the parasprite infestation that occurred a while back. Disgusting little things. It was so severe that we required assistance from Canterlot and Manehattan to deal with it."

Flux nodded, remembering that the parasprite event had made the papers. The only way Flux learned about any sort of outside events was through the news editiorials. She didn't travel much and was generally too busy with her work to gain information through social channels. "I heard that Princess Celestia herself travelled to Fillydelphia to evict the creatures. It must have been quite the infestation, if the Princess took action to eradicate it." Despite seeing the Princesses at social events, which she rarely attended, actually holding ones gaze upon the Royals for more than a few moments was quite the rare experience. Flux had always view them as regal enigmas and the unicorn loved solving such enigmas.

Before continuing the conversation, Flux noticed Ember Heart glance toward a white colt who hovered by the banquet table. Privately, she wondered if the colt was an acquaintance of Ember Heart's.

"Which of these schools do you attend? I would imagine that Canterlot has much to offer."

"The University of Canterlot," she answered. "Though at the moment, I am under the tutelage of Torvus. I took it as an oppurtunity to learn more about my craft. Canterlot University does not have the highest selection of texts on science. It is more of an art to be learned from master to teacher, though Torvus is more of an engineer than a scientist." Flux loved to speak of her work, it being one of the subjects with which we was the most familiar. "My parents were set upon my entrance into Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, but unfortunately, my magic is not exactly gifted." Flux paused before enquiring on Ember Heart's life. "I suppose a stallion such as yourself would have a full fledged profession." It was more of a statement than a question, but Flux left the words open nonetheless.

Colturnius exited the main performing room a bit after the massive mob scene that usually takes place at such events. He had admired the props and the actors' articulation and performance; however, he had little understanding of the original play it was based on. He overheard a few ponies grumbling about inaccuracy in the play but he couldn't understand the actual argument over the noise. The banquet was more like a buffet he thought. A line of large tables, plates on the end, and ponies sitting around tables and chairs in small groups.

Colturnius went into the long line. The line took an exceedingly short time ot go through, though. Viator left the line with a plate of apple tarts and an assortment of grass snacks and looked across the gathering room for someplace to sit and whom to strike up a conversation with. He spied a white pony wearing blue glasses with a cutie mark of a book sitting alone. Colturnius trotted over and walked up to the pony. "Hello? May I sit with you?"

(( It's alright Doc, I may interact with the two of you soon but first.. ))

Insight had noticed a Tan Unicorn with a fiddle cutie mark approach him. He had presumed that this Unicorn might have been one of the musicians that played the background music in the Pageant. Insight stood up, extended a hoof and greeted him back. "Oh, please do. I could use the company. I don't know anypony here and it looks like none of my friends have made it today." He sat back down and smiled at his new companion. "My name is Insight, I'm a student at Canterlot University, pleased to meet you."

He was blessed, he thought to himself. Hearth Warming Eve was indeed the one time that all Ponies got together to enjoy each other's company in friendship. He put on his best smile and wondered if this Unicorn would become another of his few friends. He put down his plate of food and listened to the Tan Unicorn's reply enthusiastically.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear none of your friends showed up." Colturnius replied. He sat down on one of the chairs and sat his plate on a nearby table. "Pleasant to meet you. I am Colturnius. I have been traveling from Roam and came upon your marvelous city conveniently during Hearth Warming Eve and the rest of the winter activities. I decided to stay here through the cold months and see what the Equestria capital is all about. So far, you're city is marvelous and fascinating, although the crisp cool air isn't good for my violin. I guess there are more important things than business at times. I'm sorry for rambling on like that." Colturnius chuckled. He hadn't had an 'actual' conversation with anypony since probably Hoofington. He waited to see how Insight reacted to his attitude.

"I suppose a stallion such as yourself would have a full fledged profession."

Ember Heart thought about the filly's statement for a moment and smiled. He used his magic to tug at his scarf lightly. "One would think so, but I do not have one yet. I usually aid the local authorities in search and rescue operations." His smile quickly disappeared as the next thought came to mind. "The problem is that the jobs rarely pay. The group I work with is similar to the weather team. Only the actual members of the team are paid. I am just a volunteer. Most of what I know about magic is self taught. Books can only take you so far when it comes to actually casting a spell." Ember Heart paused and thought the last time he tried to practice. "Take the spell Illuminating Light for example. It is supposed to allow a unicorn to create light so that they can see in the dark. I can cast it correctly on some tries and have it fizzle out into a spark on others. A unicorn really wouldn't do them much good if he can't master a simple spell like that."

Ember Heart noticed a small dab of frosting on his scarf. 'How did that even happen?' He turned towards the table with the plates and pulled three small napkins over to him. "That is why I really want to go to a university. Medical school in Trottingham. Celestia's academy here. Anywhere where I can learn to use my telekinesis to the best of my abilities." He pulled his scarf up just above his neck and wiped the frosting off with one of the napkins. He set the rolled up napkin down on the side of his plate and looked over at the colt that he saw earlier. There was now another pony conversing with him.

((Edit: I totally derped with my RP color. Changed back to purple))

"Pleasure to meet you Colturnius!" Was delighted to meet another fellow traveler. Ideas and questions began to form his mind. Maybe this traveling Pony would know something about what was searching for. Roam, he hadn't been to that part of Equestria yet. Perhaps that old City would contain the answers he was seeking for. He suddenly realized that his new acquaintance had started to stare at him blankly as he went off wandering in his mind. "Oh! Uhmmm..." Insight blushed and continued. "For a moment there I thought you were part of the orchestra. Roam, maybe I'll visit your City sometime. Oh and it's nice to meet a fellow traveler. I travel around myself a lot to do research."

He took a sip of warm milk and noticed that he, Colturnius and two other ponies were the only ones in the room.

Most of what I know about magic is self taught. Books can only take you so far when it comes to actually casting a spell. Take the spell Illuminating Light for example. It is supposed to allow a unicorn to create light so that they can see in the dark. I can cast it correctly on some tries and have it fizzle out into a spark on others. A unicorn really wouldn't do them much good if he can't master a simple spell like that."

Flux could certainly sympathize with the stallion's situation. Her own magic was rather weak as well. Her proficiency was in telekinesis and a tiny bit of pyromancy, only her rigourous practise sessions with her father had developed an aptitude for medicinal spells as well. At the time, her father had been training her to follow in his hoofsteps as a doctor, but she had eventually turned to the sciences. Her weakened magic had still been comfortably sorted into the Gamma Class, however, and this unicorn's seemed much more shakily in that category.

"That is why I really want to go to a university. Medical school in Trottingham. Celestia's academy here. Anywhere where I can learn to use my telekinesis to the best of my abilities."

"Well, I'm certain that practical application would serve you well in your learning. It was of tremendous assistance in the building of my own magical powers." The white unicorn ate her food slowly, with the perfect ettiquite expected of a Canterlot pony. She wasn't exactly attempting it for the benefit of her company, it was more of an automatic reaction to any such situation. As she look a quick look around the room, Flux noticed that many of the ponies who had earlier been in the banquet hall had disappeared. Merely assuming that they had departed for another public area of the castle or their own homes, Flux took another bit of her celery stick.

Colturnius took a sip of his warm cider and began to resume speaking. "In the orchestra?" He glanced over at his violin case. "Oh, that. How silly, I'm not in the orchestra. I carry my violin around with me: play it as a travel and earn some bits. So, what is it you study?" He looked down and raised a cookie to his mouth. He saw most of the ponies had left the room for some other area. This began to concern Colturnius. It reminded him of the last time he'd been alone in a room. He wasn't supposed the be there and got reprimanded.

• 2 weeks later...

((Aww shoot. I can't find enough time for this one. I am going to pull my character from this one. The event ends soon and I am going to be busy until the 20th or so. I don't want to hold the RP back. Sorry everyone))

"Well, I'm certain that practical application would serve you well in your learning. It was of tremendous assistance in the building of my own magical powers."

"Practical application. Right." he muttered under his breath. Ember Heart knew that there were more options available to him but he wasn't sure where to start. Was he destined to follow in his father's hoofsteps? It seemed as if his dream of working in Canterlot was just going to be that, a dream. 'Oh stop that, Ember Heart.' It wasn't going to be something that he was going to allow to bring him down on such a wonderful holiday. His mother always told him "If there is a will, there is a way". He still had all the time in the world.

Ember Heart noticed that the filly took a quick look around the room. He only just now realized that almost every pony had left the chamber. He immediately stood up and checked the time. The Derby was going to begin in about half an hour. Ember Heart knew that it was going to take a while to make his way across town.

“I am afraid that I must be on my way. I have prior arrangements with my friends. It was a pleasure meeting you, Quantum Flux.” He bowed his head. “I hope you enjoy the rest of your Hearth’s Warming Eve celebration.” He gathered his plate and napkins and walked over to the table to throw them away. “Good evening.” he said as bowed his head to the two other ponies on his way out. He started to whistle his favorite holiday tune as he exited the chamber.

(So sorry about the lateness, everyone. I got a bit distracted from this RP. :blush:)

Quantum Flux stood at the same time as her conversation partner, displaying her honed Canterlot manners once more. Upon his declaration that he had to depart, she inclinded her head toward him in an imitation of his own bow. "I assure you, the pleasure was all mine, Ember Heart. I also wish you an enjoyable continuation of the day's festivities. Have a good time with your friends." She resisted the urge to wave, feeling it to be far too common a gesture for a place as grand as the seat of government for all of Equestria. The castle did intimidate the unicorn, as it was the home of the Princesses whom were always looked upon with both awe and fear.

Having no reason to leave herself, Flux trotted toward the two ponies who remained in the large banquet hall. "Excuse me, gentlemen, but do you have any incling as to why everypony has vacated the premises?"

(( Sorry sorry, I totally forgot about this... Had to do a lot of stuff IRL ))

"I'm a student of magic..." Insight replied to Colturnius as he scratched his head. "Actually, I'm sort of a researcher and a student. I go around Equestria, especially in ruins in search for some old magical artifacts, books and any other magical stuff to aid in my research that I report directly to the academy here in Canterlot."

Insight was curious as to why he asked. Perhaps he was just inquisitive in nature like he was. A kindred spirit maybe? But he grew some interest when Colturnius mentioned that he was from Roam. He knew that through his research there had been some ruins there that haven't been explored yet. The possibility of finding something to aid his research sounded real nice.

"So when are you going back to Roam?" He asked shyly. "If you do, then maybe we can be traveling buddies since I don't know much of the place and there's some ruins over there that I'd like to explore."

Firebolt watched the little group of ponies from high above, standing in one of the many alcoves provided by the architecture inside the massive hall. In a building any smaller than this, a large stallion like himself would have been unable to fit. His eyes focused in on the three remaining ponies below, after the one unicorn left. Interesting....the filly with the red mane and white body was almost colored like his younger brother Clefthoof. Perhaps he would indeed go down and mingle while he waited for his dear mother to finish her family visit. He launched himself from the edge with great fluidity, and dropped abruptly down to the level of the floor, pulling up and gliding along just a foot or so above it. Smiling rakishly, he greeted the last of the Pageant-goers as he landed his hooves on the stone floor a few yards behind them.

"Hail and well met, with blessings upon you!"