knight

SO......As my character Holly was flirting with a griffon, this thought came to mind:

dash__s_pride_by_cloudwatcherpony-d4b09h8.png

Now, we all know it's not really possible for these two, but the IDEA is what I'm speaking of.

Griffon+Pony=Hippogriff?

For that matter....

Hippogriff+Pony=Pegasi? Or another hippogriff?

Unicorn+Griffon=alicorn? (obviously not, I know they are forbade.)

Hippocamp+Pony=...Kelpi? Pony? Hippocamp?

Kelpi+Pony=Hippocamp?

opinions, thoughs....answers? GO.

That picture is adorable. :D

To my knowledge, a pony or any of the three varieties and a griffin definitely results in a hippogriff.

What seems to make sense to me is that it doesn't get anymore hybridized from there though. A hippogriff + a pony will either produce a pony of the same type as the parent (not necessarily a pegasus) or more rarely another hippogriff, just as a pegasus + a unicorn results in either a pegasus or a unicorn rather than an alicorn.

We do allow both Hippogriffs and Hippocamps (and Kelpies). Hippocamps and Kelpies are two variations of the waterborn pony species. Hippocamps - Herbivorous Water-Horse; Kelpies - Omnivorous/Carnivorous Water-Horse. I don't believe either are hybrids of regular ponies but separate types or species in their own right. Hippogriffs on the other hand I do believe is the offspring of a Griffin and a Pony. Normally that wouldn't make sense but realistically neither do Griffons (being half eagle and half lion, a mix that biologically makes no sense) , so we assume it just works somehow in that universe.

We do allow both Hippogriffs and Hippocamps (and Kelpies). Hippocamps and Kelpies are two variations of the waterborn pony species. Hippocamps - Herbivorous Water-Horse; Kelpies - Omnivorous/Carnivorous Water-Horse. I don't believe either are hybrids of regular ponies but separate types or species in their own right. Hippogriffs on the other hand I do believe is the offspring of a Griffin and a Pony. Normally that wouldn't make sense but realistically neither do Griffons (being half eagle and half lion, a mix that biologically makes no sense) , so we assume it just works somehow in that universe.

Aware of those two, but, does pony+kelpie=kelpie, or does pony+Kelpie=no offspring? Same question with hippocamps.

Aware of those two, but, does pony+kelpie=kelpie, or does pony+Kelpie=no offspring? Same question with hippocamps.

Alright I consulted with our feeeesh expert and the mods, and this is what they have told me:

Unicorns, Earth Ponies, Pegasus, Hippocamps, and Kelpies are all sub-species of the basic pony type (or species), thus they can all interbreed with each other. A unicorn and a hippocamp can have a foal which can be either a unicorn or a hippocamp; a pegasus and a kelpie can have a foal that is either pegasus or kelpie, and so forth. Which of the two parents' type one choose for the offspring is up to you.

Griffins, Hippogriffs, and Cynogriffs are all distinct species who share visual similarities, but as distinct species they cannot inter-breed with each other, nor with ponies.

I hope that helps.

Unicorns, Earth Ponies, Pegasus, Hippocamps, and Kelpies are all sub-species of the basic pony type (or species), thus they can all interbreed with each other. A unicorn and a hippocamp can have a foal which can be either a unicorn or a hippocamp; a pegasus and a kelpie can have a foal that is either pegasus or kelpie. Which of the two parents' type one choose for the offspring is up to you.

I'm going to perhaps better explain what brian means about Griffins, Hippogriffs, and Cynogriffins. In Lore, they are a mix of two species. However, for board canon, we consider them their own species. Those three can only create offspring with their own kind. However, there is nothing to say that they cannot have relationships (fall in love) with another species. They just can't make babies, okay?

Also, Zebras may mate with ponies to create hybrids, as that is something that can actually happen in real life.

Yeah, I'm wondering what's up with that? My first answer was Griffin+pony=hippogriff, and now it's that they cannot breed? But a hippogriff, scientifically speaking, has the same parts as a horse DOWN THERE, and thus....y'know...baby making can proceed. And...if theory on this is all correct, does this even matter? Like....with unicorn magic, could a pony not be made to carry the child of a griffon or other species? If anything, I would think that griffons and hippogriffs would be more able to breed with ponies than the water-based pony hybrids, as those in water have the lower extremities of a fish...which breed by...well, laying a butload of eggs, and then fertilization OR, in the case of dolphins and other mammalian aquatica, live birth.

Back to the case of unicorn magic, I know that same-gender couples are common, and I know for the future (far into the future, I might add) Lyra and Bonnie may want to have a child, and I would think it possible for a unicorn specializing in such matters to implant Bon Bon or Lyra with a piece of their counterpart, or change the gender of their counterpart briefly, or something of the like. (I'm sure there's a...gynocolo-pony out there in the great wide world of equestria)

That being said, I honestly think with all the magic in Equestria, it would not be any trouble for interspecies relationships to occur, and to result in a cross breed pony. I have sort of withheld my personal view up until now, because it seemed that things were as I thought they would be in such a magical land, where if a pony and a griffon fell in love...well, they wouldn't have to choose whether they wanted to live as just a couple or have a different member of their species y'know....impregnate the female in the relationship.

...kind of not fair.

Please allow Fluttershy to further explain some pony genetics...

http://askfluttershyandpinkiepie.tumblr.com/post/12231310017

I'm kind of surprised when it comes to hippogriffs. I thought by definition a hippogriff was the offspring of a griffon and a horse (that's what the first line on the Wikipedia article says, even). That's kind of what makes it special, I thought; being the rare offspring of too creatures who don't normally get along.

I don't know; just kind of weird to me that it would be different for the RP. :/

It sounds like the matter is settled, but if an app already got approved that describes a hippogriff being the offspring of a pony and a griffon, then perhaps there's another solution that can accommodate that? I have a suggestion you might consider.

The simplest solution is that it works a bit like horses and donkeys. They can interbeed to make mules, which are sterile. Horses can't interbreed with dogs to make dog-horse hybrids, or any other non-equine for that matter.

In Equestria, there's one exception to this: Griffons. For some reason, left unexplained (or in game terms, not well understood), ponies and griffons can make hippogriffs, who are then sterile. For the purposes of breeding, all pony subtypes (earth, uni, pega, etc.) are simply "ponies," so there's no questions of fish-tails or unicorn horns.

+ No crazy new species have to be introduced.

+ It accommodates the application already approved.

+ It's simple. It doesn't require any special knowledge or complicated processes.

+ It has a basis in the real world, but with a fantasy twist.

In short, everything can stay exactly how it is, and we'd have an easy rule to handle all future concerns on the matter.

I will bring up the good points you all made about Hippogriffs and the like and see what is said. I personally do like the ideas of the following:

Griffon and a Pony can have a Hippogriff but the Hippogriff is sterile. It like akin to having a mule (which we have a few characters of), which is the offspring of a donkey and a pony but is also sterile. This is true also for the offspring of a Zebra and a Pony (although none exist as characters as far as I know).

It isn't my call ultimately, but I think your arguments are sound, so I will make that appeal and discuss it with the mods and see what I can come up with.

As for the Lyra and Bon Bon idea; I will leave that for another thread.

Just for the record: There already is one unicorn/zebra hybrid that has been approved. I distinctly remember following the application's development. I don't remember the name, though.

On that note.... *goes to post massive RP profile*

Hmm, I know for a fact that there has been at least one Pegasus/Griffin hybrid been approved for mane RP.

Could you provide a link please? :)

Just for the record: There already is one unicorn/zebra hybrid that has been approved. I distinctly remember following the application's development. I don't remember the name, though.

I am aware of at least two (maybe three) Applications that are some kind of pony + Zebra.

http://www.canterlot...5040#entry85040

I think that's where the discussion went.

yep, thoughts, comment and suggestions welcome. That thread is a direct result of this one as people here brought up a lot of good points.