{Canterlot} Fortune's favor { Pm for Invite}

Shyriath

Ace just listened to the brothers, seeming to get the simple explanation. Though he did ask about the idea, not the design. Even so, even if he did know the designs/ plans for it, he could never build one himself. He wasn't much of an engineer. Not at all... He dedicated a good portion of his life to cards, after all. Not much mechanical aptitude comes from that. "I see." Was all he could think to say. The two must've been doing fairly well for themselves if they could manage to keep the thing running, and cousin Fortune seemed fairly well off as well to be able to keep her shop. Ace seemed to be the only one with an uncertain income, with good days and bad days. All depended on how many ponies were willing to play, and if he didn't get caught cheating like he did at the poker bar.

He idly shuffled his cards, just playing around with a few different techniques that were usually fun. "Anypony wanna play a game...?" he asked casually, not really looking to make a quick bit or weasel anything out of his own family.

Hey, he was bored and he loved cards. What would they expect him to want to do?

(OOC: I'm not a card player but I'm sure Flim would be game to give it a try at least.)

Flim suddenly looked awestruck at Flickerlight's comment about making a carnival ride base on a stripped down frame of their beloved machine.

"Oh-ho-hooo! A wonderful idea! A Fantastical idea! A pleasure ride for the ages! Hear that Brother Flam? Perhaps a loose copy of Princess Celestia's carriage for the ride?"

He bowed to Flickerlight as best he could in the limited space "Thank you for the most wonderful inspiration!"

When their SSCS6K chuffed to a stop at Miss Fortune's shop and everypony had gone indoors, Flim had removed his parka "I will certainly be glad when they do Winter Wrap-up here..."

Just then, Miss Fortune had returned bearing her gifts. The dapper unicorn salespony was struck speechless for a moment at their cousin's generosity.

After that long moment, he grinned at her while she was busy setting up their booth "Oh by Celestia's mane! This is a spectacular gift, Dear Cousin Miss Fortune. We cannot thank you enough! I can only hope our wares will draw hordes of customers to your door."

He levitated his plant into a safe place behind the new booth, then turned as Ace asked if anypony was wanting to play.

The orange unicorn looked to his brother Flam. "A capital suggestion, purely for fun of course? Brother Flam, would you be interested as well? It may give us some ideas as we spend much-needed time with our Fortune-ate realatives."

Flam's eyes lit up, hearing both Flickerlight's suggestion and Flim's response to it.

"Splendid idea, dear brother! I can see it all now!" the mustached unicorn neighed as he floated a quill and paper in front of his face and began to sketch it out. "Let's see, a rotating round base with a replica of the royal carriage to ride on, as well as other wooden ponies for foals to ride on with this gear assembly to make them move up and down and... BRILLIANT! Perhaps someday we can construct this and take it to festivals and fairs! It'll make us BAGS of money and we'll call it.... wait for it.... the Flim-Flam-Go-Round!"

After stopping and accepting Fortune's wonderful gift, Flam followed his brother's lead.

"Indeed dear cousin, we truly appreciate your lovely gift and are grateful for allowing us to sell our perfume. I just KNOW it'll be a big hit with all the fillies!"

When Flam heard his brother's encouragement to join a card game, the mustached unicorn smiled widely.

"I concur, dear brother of mine! A nice, friendly game of cards would be a welcome form of relaxation for us!"

Unlike his brother, Flam was an exceptional card player. Although he hoped the game would remain 'friendly' as Flim implied, Flam was more than ready if it would be played for bits or other valuables.

Flickerlight finally fished a green candle from her bag and presented it to Miss Fortune. "Do let me know if you like it," she said, a bit nervously.

As preparations for the game got underway, she gave the pack of cards a wary look. She'd never really played any card games; the kind of indoor games she'd been raised on were board games, like fidchell, brandub, or checkers, or more physical things like quoits or darts. "I'm not sure I'd do well in a game like that. Maybe I ought to just, er, provide moral support from the sides here."

• 1 month later...

Missfortunebust.png

Miss Fortune took the candle and sat it on the counter, getting her matchbook out and struck it lighting the candle so it filled the room with it's wonderful scent... "Mhmm that would be lovely.. Miss Light I was wondering if you would like to do business with me? I could sell your candles here in my shop, maybe a stand right next to my Cousins?" Today was a good day for opportunity that was for sure.

The fact the boys were starting to gamble however made her nervous 'Boys please promise me you wont bet anything valuable, remember we are family here and I don't want any hard feelings" She said, walking to the register to open it, counting out a small handful of bits.. this should be enough to help Ace get home.. putting the bits in a little black bag with a pull string she neatly sat it on the counter "Also Ace when you are done..I decided that I suppose I could give you some money to help you get home.."

Ace just gave Fortune a sincere smile, not wanting her to worry... Or get on her bad side, since she was so gracious as to give him a ticket home with this generous gift of bits. "Nah, no betting, cousin. Just a game or two to pass the time is all" he promised, though he meant it. Usually any promise he makes isn't worth a thing to anypony, the scheaming little pony usually up to no good.

And so he shuffled his cards in a rather extravagant manner, either to show off, or just entertain himself as he was doing before. "Alrighty, so what are we playing, boys? Tandem-Hold-Em? Follow the Princess? Stud? Guts? Countdown? Omahoof?" He sure knew a lot of strange words for 'poker'. Either way, he was just happy to get to play with somepony that was family. Usually none of the GoLuckies ever wanted to play Ace.

The yellow unicorn sat down and watched the earth pony cousin as Ace worked the cards like the twins wove tapestries with words.

Not wanting to irk the card player he was about to play with, Flim strove not to sing, though some rhyming may occur...

Flim went wide eyed and blinked, stunned at the wild names he was tossing out for a "simple" game of poker.

"No, No betting, not today. Those styles you mention are bewildering anyway."

He ahemed and looked to his right "Dear Brother Flim, Since you are the card player in the team, I suggest you choose what we play."

He whispered to Flam "I am glad its for fun and not money, I am quite certain he does with cards what we do with sales, when family is not going to be affected..."

• 2 weeks later...

Flam also had no interest in offending their gracious host, so no gambling it would be.

"A friendly game of cards, you say? I'm certainly all in favor of that. As for the game to play, hpw about some Tandem-Hold'm? Do you have poker chip bits to use in this, friendly game, Ace?"

Flam chose the game well. First, Tandem-Hold'm happened to be his best game and second, and more importantly, it was much tougher to rig a Tandem-Hold'm game than the other options mentioned.

• 1 month later...

(OOC; I've Just been given a poke by the mods to post, Ace where are you?)

Flim looked from his Dear Brother Flam to Cousin Ace GoLucky.

"Fantastic! Dear Cousin Ace, Would that game be satisfactory today?

I am afraid in cards I am more of a deuce. you must school me in how to play,

-this particular game if I am to join in this fine day..."

The cream colored unicorn pulled up a chair with his horn power and sat down expectantly.