How fun IS it to RP?

MrSpiderman

I used to RP back on gaia a few years back, but now that I write a lot of stories, I don't really see how RPing is really fun. It just seems like a slower and written out acting thing. I just want to ask people why they find it fun (Not a question as in I'm mocking you, but it's a legitimate question)

• Like 1

My understanding is that it is a great deal of effort that occasionally results in epic creations that blow your minds. The more effort and time, the more satisfying the eventual payoff is. Or sad.

A story that I invested 3 months in concluded in the most beautiful way possible and was satisfying, and had all participants charged up.

Then I invested 6 months into a story that was endlessly frustrating. I could see the end coming and was so stoked that we might just persevere through everything. The end looked sweet. There had been hurt feelings, and reconciliations and rebuilt trust. The end came without warning. 1000 miles in one sentence (literally and figuratively). I was in shock. I was indescribably angry. We had skipped the climax and proceeded straight to a one sentence denouement?!

My fury was so great, that 6 months later, I finally let it go.

Like I said, sad.

I don't get it either Spiderman.

It kinda depends what you are looking for.

Getting an epic story going is possible, if you know all participants good enough and trust them not to run it in the ground.

I prefer going a different route and see it more as an opportunity to tell "slice of life"-kind of stories. For example putting capable characters completely out of their comfort zone, and then act out their character (no pun intended), and looking where it takes you. It's rewarding in the way that it allows you to explore your creation in different situations. If you are into that kind of stuff (I know I am).

It's a lot of fun for me. :)

I view it as an exploration of character. I pick a character and through the course of the RP see how different situations affect them and other characters interact with them. It's a lot of fun to consider how characters will react to certain situations for me. And the idea that I'm not in complete control, that characters that are being written by others drive the story as much or more than my own makes it particularly compelling.

-shrug- I've been RPing for over half of my life, now. It's something that's just.. Become integral.

I used to have severe problems with cocaine, and the bullying during my childhood caused me issues with anger management that led to a kid from my high school being hospitalized by my hand. It's something I'm quite ashamed of.

Fact is, though, that when my life was hitting the fan, I looked to other worlds for comfort. That came in the way of movies, video games, all this and that- but it never truly felt real. It was always just an escape to me. RP has it's pains, usually technical ones, or due to the faults of other RPers- but there's one thing you can take to the bank always- it's still an escape, but if you do it right.. It feels real, y'know?

It's a different world. You can live a different life there- be anyone. Write stories, change continents. It gave me the feeling of power I needed to make it through hard and depressing times in my life. =) The first RP I ever joined lasted me four years, and I now have a tattoo commemorating it. Permanently there, never to come off, reminding me that one of the most beautiful stories I'd ever witnessed in my life was, in part, my brainchild.

Some people like RP, some don't, and you certainly don't have to. ^^ But to me? I feel it's a symbol. A sign that anyone in the world can create a thing of beauty- I'm an ill-educated brewery worker, and yet... When I RP, it'll sometimes bring tears to my eyes. Escaping to a world other than our own- the power of the imagination that has been long lost since childhood, found again through the simplicity of writing.

That's why I like RPing.

Greyfriar. Now a days, it is the testimony of RPers that most drives me from every trying again. I still ask a friend who does it all the time how it is going, and thus get a weekly reminder to stay away.

As far as purposefully using it for an escape goes, I am sorry you feel like you need that. The escapist nature of RPing is one of my beefs with it.

-shrugagain- Then I guess it's just not for you. =) Way I see it, it's one of those things you either like or you don't. I love it. At least, more than getting coked out and screaming bloody murder in my basement, or unloading clips into beer cans in my garage. Which was essentially my old life before I started exploring my creativity.

Sure, it sucks I use it as an escape. It sucks that I need an escape. -Buuuut- it's a better escape than my old options. EDIT: (( Hit post too soon. )) If you feel you don't need to do it, count yourself lucky. If you don't feel you like it- you don't have to do it, nobody here will judge you either way. 'Least, so long as you don't judge us.

Me, I feel like I need it, and I bloody love doing it. Winwin.

Not very often. I don't believe in bad RP. :) Even the most ridiculous, brutal, illiterate RPs leave me feeling cheery. That's where part of your imagination has to come through. If you fail in feeling enchanted by it, maybe ya' just grew out of your imagination quicker than me.

But for I, ser'? ^^ I think there's only one RP I did in my life that I could call a failure- and that's 'cause it turned out everyone on that MC server all knew eachother and were neo-Nazis IRL. o.o

The escapist nature of RPing is one of my beefs with it.

I don't think escapism is entirely necessary for an RP. It depends on the mindset. It doesn't have to be an escape. I don't view it as such.

It's a purely creative exercise for me. It's the same as writing a story, save others are contributing along with me. I don't ever put myself into the characters situations when I write RPs; my characters are entirely separate from myself.

I don't think escapism is entirely necessary for an RP. It depends on the mindset. It doesn't have to be an escape. I don't view it as such.

There are two possibilities that I tried.

Immersing myself completely in the character and being my character was one of them. In that mode, I was escaping from and denying myself. The anguish and joy that my character felt, I also felt. It was easy to get "high" on that emotion and for it to replace the need to live a real life. Since stopping, I go out and get it, rather than waiting until the next session.

The other was the impartial third person observer. I directed the character as a writer would. It wasn't escapism. It was boring. So much slower than my normal writing, and I could never justify the time spent on it. In addition, every part of it was a rough draft. When you write on a subject for the first time it is 95% crap minimum. But you liked 5% so you start over with that and if you are lucky, you like 15% of the second itteration. So you go again. But in a group, you never get a second iteration. You just move on. So pretty much the whole thing is of low quality.

Well, it's a story of ups and downs in my experience. I tend to drift in and out of RPing, and it often gets to the point where I have to force myself to go to the computer, find the thread and type out a reply. Then it's not so fun.

On the other hoof, I've been a part of so many epic moments through my time RPing, and at times I've truly felt like I was part of another world. I wouldn't give that up for anything.

So, in my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons, even if it doesn't always seem so.

There are two possibilities that I tried.

Immersing myself completely in the character and being my character was one of them. In that mode, I was escaping from and denying myself. The anguish and joy that my character felt, I also felt. It was easy to get "high" on that emotion and for it to replace the need to live a real life. Since stopping, I go out and get it, rather than waiting until the next session.

The other was the impartial third person observer. I directed the character as a writer would. It wasn't escapism. It was boring. So much slower than my normal writing, and I could never justify the time spent on it. In addition, every part of it was a rough draft. When you write on a subject for the first time it is 95% crap minimum. But you liked 5% so you start over with that and if you are lucky, you like 15% of the second itteration. So you go again. But in a group, you never get a second iteration. You just move on. So pretty much the whole thing is of low quality.

The second one is what I do, more or less. I don't think it's at all boring though. The element of unknown makes it really fun to me, and different from creative writing where I have full control of everything.

Sometimes its slow, but here i've compensated for that by getting involved in many RP threads with many, hugely differing characters. There's almost always some RP for me to advance.

And I don't know. I usually like my posts. I never expect them to be perfect.

As far as I go, RP'ing is a nice additional method to just enjoy what I love...and participate in a fun activity with many other folks, depending on the situation - whether it just be playin' Big Mac on the farm buckin' apples with AJ or Vinyl Scratch leading the jams and wowing the crowds - along with havin' a blast with Brazil the adventuring pony Archaeologist...there's just a lot of joy in being able to write up some creative moments with others and see how each of us takes the scene with every post.

As said, it's not for everyone, but if you have a creative love for writing along with a passion for the pony...RP'ing is one of the few things that really allows folks to have an extra added dimension to their pony fix - or whatever else they like to RP, for that matter.

To sum it up...It's sorta like 'acting on that show or game you like' - only you're writing the scenes for it as well as starring within!

Thread is now TL;DR :-(

Pretty silly attitude to have on a thread you yourself started, don't you think?

Edited by Robikku Pegasus

Pretty silly attitude to have on a thread you yourself started, don't you think?

Not at all, considering he has no interest in it.

I don't have any interest in RPing either. The only reason I was responding was because I act as an anti-RP evangelist when I hear people are interested but haven't tried it yet. I was curious how my standard arguments would be responded to by actual RPers.

I learned a few things though...

The second one is what I do, more or less. I don't think it's at all boring though. The element of unknown makes it really fun to me, and different from creative writing where I have full control of everything.

And I don't know. I usually like my posts. I never expect them to be perfect.

The element of the unknown certainly has appeal, and it was part of the reason I liked it. I did not consider it as a primary strength of the it before though.

Also, it seems that having a lower standard might have helped. I was always thinking 5 minutes after that fact "why did I say that? I should have..."

I prefer going a different route and see it more as an opportunity to tell "slice of life"-kind of stories. For example putting capable characters completely out of their comfort zone, and then act out their character (no pun intended), and looking where it takes you. It's rewarding in the way that it allows you to explore your creation in different situations. If you are into that kind of stuff (I know I am).

I have never tried that. It just never occurred to me. You guys gave me a new perspective. Even if I still dislike it from the new view.

To conclude, I am GLAD that I didn't have a better experience. I might have wasted MORE than a year of my life to it. Even if it had been an enjoyable experience from start to finish, I am still philosophically opposed to it, and would want to stop.

I'm not getting into the argument, I'm just going to respond to the OP.

The reason I love RP is that, to an extent, I have no idea where the story will go! When I write a story, for the most part I know what's going to happen, when it's going to happen, and how it's going to happen. But in an RP there are all kinds of things thrown in that you don't expect, sometimes people behave in unpredictable ways. If your the one in charge of the plot, it makes you have to think on your feet and figure out exactly how to handle the new issue, and if your one of the players, it means you get to wait and see how the GM handles the issue (or how the other players handle it if there is no over-all plot and it's mostly one bit free-for-all) It makes a story interactive like a video game, but on a whole new level because your not confined by the limits of the game engine. You don't like that wall there? Fly over it! that pit of spikes? use the rope to lower yourself down then break off all the spikes! It's a wide-open world! The best of reading AND writing a story, you have some control but your still surprised over and over again.

Granted this doesn't *always* happen, but that is what the goal is. Even if the end of the RP is obvious, it's a case of "getting there is half the fun!"

To conclude, I am GLAD that I didn't have a better experience. I might have wasted MORE than a year of my life to it. Even if it had been an enjoyable experience from start to finish, I am still philosophically opposed to it, and would want to stop.

So that and what you said in the post before means all of us are either failed writers or escapist junkies, and we waste our time, or did I miss something? I take offence to that.

• Like 1

RPing has had several different meanings for me throughout my life. I've only recently picked it back up again, but in doing so I've remembered the good times and feelings as well as the bad times and feelings that have been associated with it throughout the years.

When I was younger, about 6th grade, RPing was an outlet for childish creativity. I'd been playing video games for awhile, but the ones I were exposed to were always a bit limited in scope. I never played anything too wide-open that allowed me to express myself in dramatic ways. RPing provided the perfect opportunity to live out fantasies that had been playing in my head for as long as I could remember. I'm an only child, so while I had access to a greater number of toys and other things than another child my age might have had access to, I never really had anyone to experience those things with. So, try as I might to play Yu-Gi-Oh with myself and pretend that building lego creations and having no one to show them to was fun, I really yearned to create something in a collaborative way. RPing became that tool I could use to express my creative ideas and develop them with other people. It provided that brand new second or third-party aspect that had been missing for so long.

During the time when I was convinced that I was going to be a master writer someday, RPing provided a collaborative and mostly judgement-free place where I could develop and learn different writing styles and techniques. I don't have that delusion anymore, but I still take interest in seeing the creative ways in which other people express themselves. I view it in a bit more of an analytical way than I used to. I like to inspect the methods and ideas of others. Many people will RP an aspect of themselves that they normally would suppress or hide, and watching these hidden aspects of various people interact with others is often mind-blowingly beautiful and meaningful.

Aside from that, RPing is simply a form of escapist entertainment, just like, in my opinion, all wanton entertainment is. People seek fun and distractions as a way to put aside worries for a few minutes or hours out of the day. Constantly worrying about all of the bad things in life would make anyone into a downer, and so the human mind naturally seeks some form of fun escape. RPing provides a spice to the day, a path out of the daily monotony, simply because of its unpredictable nature. It provides a pleasant uncertainty that can be nourished and utilized to sharpen the mind and improve creativity. It only becomes boring and monotonous when it becomes more of a predictable responsibility, nothing more than another piece of the daily routine you sought to escape from in the first place.

EDIT: Tl;dr: RPing is pretty cool, bro.

Davroth:

Um. No. Um.

I stated that one of the things I tried was escapists in nature and one of the things I tried was disappointing writing.

I think it is an addictive hobby that draws you into it, consumes lots of time and gives little in return.

I think the draw to it is strong enough that you cannot generalize about the people who participate.

My best friend is an extensive RPer, and I don't look down on him for it. I feel sad for him because I can see that he is not uplifted by his habit.

I am sometimes offensive, impetuous, and slow to think online. If any of you are still offended, I would appreciate you telling me. Publicly if possible, but PMing is good too.

I want to speak truth, even if it is uncomfortable.

I do NOT want to judge people or make hurtful generalizations. And above all, I do not want to damage relationships.

Davroth:

Um. No. Um.

I stated that one of the things I tried was escapists in nature and one of the things I tried was disappointing writing.

I think it is an addictive hobby that draws you into it, consumes lots of time and gives little in return.

I think the draw to it is strong enough that you cannot generalize about the people who participate.

My best friend is an extensive RPer, and I don't look down on him for it. I feel sad for him because I can see that he is not uplifted by his habit.

I am sometimes offensive, impetuous, and slow to think online. If any of you are still offended, I would appreciate you telling me. Publicly if possible, but PMing is good too.

I do NOT want to judge people or make hurtful generalizations. And above all, I do not want to damage relationships.

And when you look back to what you wrote, don't you see how that could sound offensive to people?

So that and what you said in the post before means all of us are either failed writers or escapist junkies, and we waste our time, or did I miss something? I take offence to that.

Hey hey, whoa now there. XDD

Davroth:

Um. No. Um.

Then you're good. ^^ Biggest issue of teh internets is that it's impossible to figure someone's emotions, a lot of the time. To a lot of us, it just sounded like you were trolling. Truth is, though, either way- you certainly don't have to RP if you don't like it. But don't look down on us people who do- which you don't anyways, as you said- and don't try to stop people from trying it if they haven't. I don't like rap music, but I certainly won't get in someone else's way if they want to give it a listen.