W&D S01EP21 - Over a Barrel [part 2 now active!]

Tam

Technically, though, since it was the buffalo's land first and no pony consulted them before putting a town there, I feel that the buffalo are kind of entitled to whatever's on the land.

Nail, head. If your neighbor decides to plant an apple tree in the middle of your backyard, guess who's getting the apples in the fall. Not your neighbor. The buffalo were being fairly generous in allowing the ponies' use of the land to continue, I think.

But then again, it's also kind of like the thing with the Indians. They didn't have any deeds to the land, because that's just not how their society worked. But, we also should consider that we don't know if ponies use deeds for towns/cities either.

Seriously, if everyone would have just talked about things in the first place, the Appleloosians could have made the path through the orchard without wasting apples and having their town partially destroyed. The buffalo were understanding. Even if the Chief did like the apples, he could have decided the buffalo were going to destroy the town anyway, and just take the orchard for themselves. Although, if you think about it, it's kind of like the buffalo are USING the ponies to harvest apples for them...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It kind of feels like the pies were a sort of demand from the buffalo. The Apple-Loosians give them apples in exchange for them not destroying their town and orchard. Technically, though, since it was the buffalo's land first and no pony consulted them before putting a town there, I feel that the buffalo are kind of entitled to whatever's on the land.

It might be possible to construe it this way since it pans out from the chief's idea to the actual solution- but the pies weren't a demand necessarily. The assumption I believe we are supposed to be led to is that the chief's idea is appealing to everyone involved in the situation. The compromise was that of trade- if the Buffalo would share their sacred land, then they Apaloosans could share what grew on that land. Its essentially the concept of renting land; except the owners of the land are asking for a share of the fruit, instead of bits. And it still only works if the Buffalo are still able to stampede through the land, preserving their tradition. Its a compromise for the Buffalo too-their tradition does change, because their land ends up changing as the Apaloosans settle in.

In the end, its still compromise- and both parties still benefit from the compromise, essentially delivering the core message that working together can lead to a win/win situation.

In the end, its still compromise- and both parties still benefit from the compromise, essentially delivering the core message that working together can lead to a win/win situation.

Oh, if only My Little Pony:FiM was around during the days of our founding fathers. There would be no trail of tears.

hi hi

I cant speak for anyone but myself, but my reservations about the end of the episode mostly stemmed from the fact that it tackles one of the biggest issues we face today and it is not the easy answer that I would have liked... but it is an good answer.

To paraphrase Hal Clement: "As long as there is an attitude that one's own rights are as important as anyone else's this will be a problem. Not more important. As important. I'm not saying that it is immoral, but whatever the specifics are, it inevitably means that someone will believe they have the right to something that another possesses."

So really, it does require sharing and enough caring to deal in good faith. Sure, the world's problems aren't going to be solved with Pie, but according to Miller, Rozin, Fiske (1998), sharing food does have worldwide significance in establishing and maintaining social ties.

So really, it does require sharing and enough caring to deal in good faith. Sure, the world's problems aren't going to be solved with Pie, but according to Miller, Rozin, Fiske (1998), sharing food does have worldwide significance in establishing and maintaining social ties.

Thats because food is magic.

Thats because food is magic.

Food=magic

Friendship=magic

Food=Friendship

OH MY GOSH IT ALL MAKES SENSE :shock:

Sure, the world's problems aren't going to be solved with Pie

I don't know, pie can be a pretty powerful motivator...

Er..anyway, great episode! I thought the animation and directing in the action scenes was excellent. The charge was downright cinematic, especially in the build up with the clock striking the hour as everything falls silent except for the whistling of the wind (a distinct High Plains Drifter vibe for me...). The four horsepower (?) train was one of those great surreal touches that I love in the humour of the show. Braeburn's tour of Appleloosa, basically bulldozing his guests around town was hilarious! The "Fluttershy is not a tree" conversation was brilliantly written and the timing of the voice acting was perfect. I thought the politics were reasonably balanced, though you're never going to please everyone when you tackle a theme like that. And Pinkie Pie should definitely be a diplomat. The trouble would be endless but it would be a hell of a trip...