Ponywalk Luau: The Dance Floor

Windwright

"So, what brings you to the Luau?"

'stripe had been expecting this one! "A stroke of luck, you ponies say. I had business here today. And now that my work here is through, I came to play and dance with you." He said, actually proud of coming up with that rhyme before he even had the disguise ready.

As the waltz came to a close, he very nearly put a pegasus flourish on it, he normally would have spread his wings wide when he knelt low, but he managed to restrain them before they did much more than flutter the cape.

"Oh? Business you say, how lovely!" Glitzen replied with a smile as he returned the bow at the end of the waltz. It felt like it ended to soon, but at the very least, it was a charming dance with the equally charming 'zebra'. "I must say you certainly are charming. Is your business swooping in and wooing ponies for a living? If so, you do a good job darling." he said with a grin and a small giggle, "But if it's not, perhaps you should look into it as a side job, no?"

Glitzen's night had went from great to amazing in no time once Honeywing had arrived, he just wanted to break out and love all over him then and there, but the charade was just too fun to end too soon.

Silk Scarf nodded a bit... she knew what it was like growing up in that kind of environment - except her dam just went to the parties, and almost never threw them herself. "Oh, I know how that is," she assured Max. "I got my cutie mark at just one of those sorts of parties."

Oh, shoot! She shouldn't have said that! What if he asked for her cutie mark story now? She didn't have one of those prepared!

"But you run your whole business yourself? That sounds like quite a lot of work!" she said, an impressed note in her voice. "I find it hard enough to organize my own life, and I don't have nearly your level of success."

She lowered her voice and leaned a little closer to max, her soft voice secretive as she shares, "And don't worry about me... I drank more than that back in college... and those sorority parties weren't nearly as classy as the ones you and I are used to. Though I haven't had a drink in over a year now... oh no! I wonder if I lost my tolerance? Nah, I'm doing fiiiiiine." She gave him a big grin to show him just how fine she was. "But you gotta make room for some fun, or else work'll burn you out. It's proven," she says, nodding sagely, "a little stress relief makes you work more effectively."

Maximilian breathed in, about to ask her about her cutie mark story, but she quickly cut him off. Normally he'd be a tiny but suspicious, but this was a party and she a lovely mare, what's there to hide? Surely she found her story uninteresting and simply wished to change the subject.

He listened intently, and smirked a bit as she whispered conspiratorially into his ear. Well, Max had never been one for raging parties, but he understood exactly what she alluded to. Her admission of a lack of recent drinking did concern him a bit, but her wide grin comforted him enough to let it slide.

Her last few sentences really got him thinking, and Max rubbed his chin for a moment. "Listen, I'd love to have some fun, but I'm a businesspony at heart. If I'm going to make a difference in this world, I can't stop moving foreword."

A faint smile crept into his muzzle, and Maximilian felt his shoulders loosen up a fair bit. "Now that I think about it, this fashion show is quite the stress reliever. I get to have some nice drinks and meet beautiful ponies, I even got to dance with one! Soon I'll be making deals with the arts, and who knows where it could go next?"

The older unicorn winked coyly and adjusted his white tux, feeling a little more relaxed than he felt in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

"I have a job in trading words, with Canterlot ponies who fly like birds. But that I exchange words all day, does not diminish the things I say. You are a pony to be admired, and you must be quite widely desired." Says the 'zebra' after what felt like nearly a month of thinking up a suitable reply. "And just what is it that you do, aside from being marvelous to woo? And tell me miss Glitzen Glamour, is there a stallion who holds your amour?" He'd barely said it and his internal alarms were all yelling that the words didn't really rhyme if you had to force it, but really, put a stallion on the spot and he's far from Shakespony.

While he was talking, Honeywing sidled over to the refreshments area and retrieved a cup of punch. Changing the pitch of his voice was hard work.

Glitzen smiled, his 'zebra' friend certainly was quite the wordsmith. He would have to see about Honeywing writing him a poem sometime, if he was doing this well at rhyming. "Well thank you darling, I appreciate the compliment." he said with a giggle as he followed him along to the refreshment table, grabbing up his own glass of punch, "Oh~ Well, I dabble in fashion design. I own a lovely little salon back home in Ponyville. It's such a passion of mine! I couldn't imagine doing anything else really." putting on a faux thinking face, Glitzen smiled, "Oooh, there is one stallion. A handsome, charming, sensitive pegasus, one with an ear to listen, a shoulder to lean on and a smile that can warm the coldest night." he said proudly. While yes, Glitzen may have been putting great emphasis on it, he meant every word of it.

"So, Mr. Stripe, is there a lucky mare in your life? If you don't mind me prying a bit."

• 2 weeks later...

Silk Scarf felt her cheeks turn a bit pink at Maximilian's flirting and his wink and everything. She glanced over Max's shoulder to Glitzen Glamour ... wasn't it about time for the business? "Well, darling" she said to Max, "I'd dare say one mustn't stop. Quite hard to get going again afterwards! but one can ... coast, a bit. Like when you're pulling a wagon up a hill, and you get to the top, and goign down you almost feel you could just hop into the wagon and let it go by itself. You keep your hooves on the ground, though, but just spring along, letting the wagon push you! That's rather fun. And then, when you hit the next hill, you just keep going, and that bit of fun makes things easier for a while, and you just cruise on up the first half of that hill. And when you're up near the top, and you lost that momentum, and you're struggling hard, then part of what keeps you going is looking forward to the bit of fun you have waiting on the way down the other side!"

She giggled softly, and quickly amended that, "Not that I do a lot of wagon pulling, but it seems like a good way to explain it, doesn't it? I'm not much of a poet, I'm afraid. I suppose, darling, that what you said is true. The party helps you refresh and have fun, and makes tomorrow easier... and you can keep going to look forward to the next party, where you get to dance again!" She gives a firm nod. "Dancing through life is a lot better than trudging through, and either way you get where you're going."

Max found himself silently thinking over Silk's words. She certainly had a way with words, and he understood exactly what she meant. The analogy of the cart made perfect sense to the business pony.

The Rockefilly fidgeted with his suit's collar before looking back at the purple mare. "Well, if it's all the same, I'd take dancing any day."

He smiled wide and continued on. "Trudging through business always leaves me unsatisfied, and you're right, it's the thought of these parties that helps keep me going. I think the memories of this one will be a huge help..."

The stallion looked over at Glitzen and saw he was still talking to somepony else. "Well, Silk, we could be rude and interrupt, or stay and talk a while longer. It's up to you."

"So, Mr. Stripe, is there a lucky mare in your life? If you don't mind me prying a bit."

"Indeed there is somepony fair, with a gentle soul and marvelous hair, and a boutique managed with great flare. Someday soon I shall return there, and dote every moment I can spare, in nighttime moments and summer air." 'Violet' said, before making a gesture toward Glitzen's business partners. "Those two ponies over there, seems like they could use your care." He pointed out gently, to give himself a moment to recover from the mental equivalent of olympic level gymnastics. Edgar Allen Poeny, eat your heart out. This was actually kind of fun for him by this point, even though he was pretty sure Glitzen knew who he really was, to play pretend for a while.

Glitzen smiled, it was so wonderfully sappy and sweet of Honeywing to go to this kind of trouble for him, he would HAVE to be sure to thank him properly when he got home. As he was getting ready to speak, 'Violet' interjected, bringing GG's attention back to the fact there was business to be dealt with, "Ah, yes yes, you're correct! After business is taken care of, I might seek you out for another dance, Violet." he said with a wink before heading over to where 'Silk' and Max stood.

"Hello there!~ Hope you enjoyed your dances as much as I enjoyed mine. Such a charming zebra." he said glancing back over his shoulder, "Max, darling, if you're still wanting to see some of my work, I'm perfectly free. Unless you're still tending to Silk here, if you'd like to be alone." the fashionista said, slightly teasing once more

Silk Scarf smiled happily as Max agreed with her. "Oh, I quite agree. I absolutely love to dance!" But as the two stallions glanced at each other with that 'time to do business' look in their eyes, she shook her head. "Oh, goodness no, I'd never want to get in the way of a good bit of business. You two darlings have fun, and I'll go see what lovely little treats they've put together for the snack bar, and then perhaps take a nice walk along the beach. The ocean's supposed to be lovely with the moon shining over it." She gave a delicate little curtsy towards Max, looking up to him through her lashes as she gave a bright smile. "It was an absolute pleasure to meet you, Max!" she said happily. "And I hope we run into each other again very soon!"

And well past time to get away from this confusing mess, she though to herself, and get a bit of fresh air! She didn't know how all these ponies could handle it, it all seemed quite overwhelming to her.

The Rockefilly returned her gesture, bowing low as she made her leave. "An absolute pleasure to meet you, and I do hope we meet again." Maximilian looked up and smiled at Silk before slowly turning around to face her employer.

"Ah, Mr.Glitzen, I'm quite anxious to see more of your work, if they're as good as the samples I've seen, then I'm sure we can do business."

Max bowed his head to the stallion before motioning with a hoof away from the dance floor. "Lead the way, good sir."

• 4 weeks later...

"Alright Silk darling, do enjoy your walk! Don't snack too much now, wouldn't want to lose that girlish figure hmm?" Glitzen said with a giggle as 'Silk' made her way to the snacks. Turning his attention back to the matter at hoof, the pegasus smiled, "Well, I'm glad you find the sample that good! Hopefully I won't disappoint hmm?" he said before dipping his head to Max, leading on and off the dance floor. Off towards the backstage area of the runway. Upon arriving Glitzen walked over to a large steamer trunk, "It was rather troublesome bringing all these along, but when one may run into somepony such as yourself, well, you can never be too prepared!" he said with a grin before cracking the case open, several different dresses and suits hung carefully from hangers in the large trunk, "Let's see what we can find that might catch your interest..."

• 2 weeks later...

Max's eyes lingered for a moment as he watched Silk leave, before turning back towards Glitzen.

"Oh, I'm sure you have much more candy for the eye..."

He put a hoof to his chin and examined the garments before nodding his head. "Good composition, amazing colors, interesting fabric choices... I must admit, I'm quite pleased! Especially with this..."

His hoof pointed to a suit, naturally, and he paused for a moment before speaking. "So, mister Glitzen, what's your goal, your dream? Why do you do what you do?"

Max loved the products, but he would never invest based on quality alone, he needed to know more.

Glitzen smiled at the compliments, while yes he received praise from his customers on several occasions, it was quite different coming from a potential investor! The question though gave Glitzen a more serious demeanour as he began to think, "Well. Ever since I was a young foal, I've enjoyed anything that was beautiful. Anything that amplified natural beauty, without masking it. Clothes, mane styles, costumes, makeup. It always peaked my interest, all through school and beyond. It's my passion. I do it for the good feeling it gives me, the smile on somepony's face when they step out of the dressing room or styling chair with a new look, it's worth more than all the bits in the world. My goal, my dream, is to spread my fashion across the world! I'd love to be a household name, somepony that the world can look up to in that way. I suppose that's the passion of any designer really, but it is the truth." he replied with a smile, while it was his greatest dream to be somepony famous, he would be happy with his life, even if he only ever sold in Ponyville.

The speech seemed nice enough, and from what Maximilian could tell, it was genuine too. It always pleased Max to see a pony with gumption, an infinite amount of good ideas didn't mean anything if nopony wanted to make them a reality. The best of designs were useless if there wasn't anypony who would strive to bring them to life. With a nod, Max continued browsing the attire before him, even taking a sleeve in hoof as he admired it more closely.

"I don't invest in just anypony, Mr.Glitzen, somepony really needs to impress me, but once they do, they'll be given whatever they need. I believe putting some bits on you would be backing the right horse, but I need something to convince me, your piece-de-resistance, if you will. Show me the one piece that you put the most pride in, the work that defines you. Show me that, and then I'll know where to put my bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Glitzen smiled as Max looked over his designs. The fact that the businesspony was still interested in them meant he was doing something right in all of this. Upon being asked to show potential investor a 'piece-de-resistance', the pegasus' eyes lit up. A piece he put the most pride in, something to define all the work he does. For Glitzen, that changed every so often, he would fall in and out of love with pieces of his work, one day one dress would be the pinnacle of his work, and the next, he'd create one he felt topped it. But today, he knew just the one, "Oh I believe I have JUST the thing!" he said with confidence as he walked over to another steamertrunk and unlocked it, carefully digging past a few extravagant dresses and suits, each which seemed like it could be the one he would pull out.

Rather, he reached into the back of the trunk, pulling out one that was covered by a garment bag. Removing the cover revealed a beautiful dress, the fabric was designed in the pattern of the beautiful wings of a monarch butterfly, a lovely black feather trim adorned the top of the dress, tapering down into the silk and velvet wings, which spiraled around themselves and shimmered in the light, "I do hope this is to your liking, I worked on this piece for several months, even starting over from scratch twice, but it was more than worth it for the end result, heheh, as silly as it sounds, I'm almost afraid to wear it. I put my heart into it, and the thought of it possibly getting ruined..." the fashionista shuddered, "I simply couldn't handle it."

Max didn't speak a word, instead he silently looked at the gown in front of him. It was a beautiful piece, that couldn't be denied, but Max was more focused on the details. Every stitch was done just so, not a single thing was out of place. That was just what he was looking for, the attention to the miniscule that showed a devotion to the craft.

It was obvious that this stallion cared about his work, if he were to put a price on it, it could fetch a pretty penny. Max started to seriously consider putting some bits behind Glitzen.

"It's an astounding piece, I'll grant you that..."

The unicorn lightly brushed it with a hoof, careful not to damage it as he mulled everything over in his mind. This stallion seemed very dedicated and skilled, and he could be a very worthwhile investment. Nonchalantly, the Rockefilly reached into his Tux's inside pocket and withdrew a slip of paper. Levitating a pen out as well, he slowly started to write.

"One hundred thousand bits is all I can put on one of these checks, I'm afraid."

With a smile, the white unicorn levitated the check over towards Glitzen. "I hope we both don't regret this, Mister Glitzen."

Glitzen smiled as he let Max look over the dress in silence. It really was his best work to date in his mind, and he hoped that the entrepreneur would be impressed. After he had finished appraising the garment, Max dug into his dug into his coat pocket. Glitzen was ecstatic! He finally had someone backing him! While this in and of itself was amazing, the fashionista wasn't quite prepared for the amount of bits that Max was putting on him. Hearing the number made the stallion gasp, holding a hoof to his mouth and nearly dropping the lovely dress in surprise. Holding back a few tears Glitzen nodded as he spoke, "Th-thank you so much!" he said with a smile, "I promise you won't regret this, Mister Rockefilly!" looking over the check in his hoof, he almost wanted to pinch himself, it felt like a dream! It was the most the pegasus had ever had at one time.

Max smiled warmly, watching the emotional response from the stallion before him. His journey was a tough one, but moments like this made it all worth while, knowing that somepony was going to have a chance at their dreams. The wealthy unicorn offered a hoof, chuckling slightly as he waited for Glitzen to compose himself.

"You have much more at your disposal, never be afraid to fail. While I wont fund a half effort, I'll never turn my back on somepony willing to try."

Honeywing hadn't been TRYING to eavesdrop, but...well, he wanted to make sure Glitzen would do well. It sounded like a business transaction, and that was all well and fine. He was about to walk off when the phrase 'One hundred thousand bits...' got tossed into his hearing range.

After that, Honey wasn't sure what happened. He was on his back now, though, with his wings splayed out under him, a bowl on his head, and his dye was running. Wait, no, that was punch. When did he start wearing punch? Ah, NOW his dye was running. They were still talking, but the bowl was muffling the conversation.

Glitzen took a few deep breaths to regain his composure, his mind was still reeling from the news, this was the start on the right path towards his dreams. Pushing back the urge to give Max a very unprofessional hug, the pegasus took one last deep breath and shook his hoof enthusiastically, "Thank you so so much, Mr. Rockefilly. I promise I shall do my utmost to keep this deal good for the both of us!" Glitzen couldn't express his gratitude enough. Though his emotions were certainly a good indicator of how thankful he really was.

Ears pricking up at the sound of a small crash, Glitzen glanced over at the fallen 'zebra', who was now laying in a small puddle of his own dye, "Oh dear..." he said under his breath with a small chuckle, "I do hope you can excuse me for a moment Mr. Rockefilly, I've got to make sure someone is alright." the fashionista carefully hung the dress up once more before walking quickly over to Honeywing, "Honeywing! Are you alright?" he asked, there wasn't much point in keeping up the charade when his dye was melting away, "Oh dear you're going to be so sticky." a small giggle escaped him as he pulled the bowl off of his head.

"I have no doubts on the matter. The white unicorn shook Glitzen's hoof politely, only to hear somepony crashing to the floor. His first response was to check himself to see if anything had made its way onto his Tuxedo. Once he was assured that disaster had been averted, his attention shifted to the well being of the grounded pony. Before he could say anything, the pony he had chosen to invest in excused himself.

Maximilian adjusted his suit, slightly shifting the lapels as he stood in place. The two seemed to know each other, at least to some extent. It would be far out of place to intercede in any way, so the rich stallion decided instead to stay in one spot, observing the crowd and maybe catching another sight of Silk Scarf before the night was over.

Honeywing slowly got to his hooves, keeping his wings spread by ingrained instinct. "Sticky? Oh, right, the punch..." He said, examining himself carefully. The suit was intact and dry save for the cloak and a couple of odd spots. That, though, and the mask and his wings, were already soaked pretty well through. He sighed and started undoing the cloak's clasps before it ruined the tuxuedo beneath.

"Wait, you should be over there, with your new investor, hun." He announced, looking up suddenly (and sending a few drops of punch cascading over his shoulder from the now freed cloak) with both concern and, was that pride or excitement in his eyes? He seemed to have forgotten about his clothes and wings in either case, and there were still small rivulets of dye running from his pelt.

Glitzen shook his head as he helped Honeywing gain his balance after standing up. He'd have to be sure to get those spots out of that suit and cape for him, but that could wait til later, "Oh dear, I told him I needed to make sure you were alright, he'll understand." he said as he gave the other pegasus' cheek a lick, the punch wasn't too awful bad really. The fashionista couldn't help but chuckle at his coltfriend's reaction to all this, especially that grade A crash landing in the punch bowl.

"Don't you fret dear, the deal is already sealed. Now onto more important matters. Are you alright? You didn't hurt yourself did you? Nothing sprained or broken?" GG asked as he began to look him over, checking for cuts or nicks or scrapes of any kind. He might be a bit of a worrywart, but it was his love he was thinking about, you have to be a bit of a worrywart over them.