[201/202] Why was Spike never "corrupted"?

Ashton

This is something I was thinking about recently after re-watching the S2 premier. All the mane 6, even Twilight, ended up corrupted... but Spike never did. Does this mean he actually had more faith in the group's friendship than the ponies did? Or was he simply so disconnected from it all that he didn't really care? (Personally I think the former, I could see the latter - except for how much he cares about Rarity; I don't think he could fail to care about what happened to her --- unless he was THAT jealous of Tom ;) (j/k))

Cherille said "Discord among /Ponies/" She didn't mention any other creature

Wow, somone was paying close attention to the exact wording...

While I dont think that's the case (after all we see the long-legged rabbits, and, as stated, the buffalo-balarinas) not to mention he does random crazy stuff to the environment, I do wonder about that exact phrase... even if your wrong could still be a Chekhov's gun...

I'm assuming that Discord did not care to affect Spike. He was directly threatened by Twilight, and was playing games with her. He didn't need to affect her assistant, only her so that the elements of harmony would be rendered useless.

Either that or he was cocky and thought he could get away with not doing anything to Spike despite being so close to her and being able to help her.

Either that or he was cocky and thought he could get away with not doing anything to Spike despite being so close to her and being able to help her.

Was Discord ever made aware of their relationship? I mean, when he first reveals himself to the ponies, it's the mane 6 and Celestia. Later we see Spike as Rainbow Dash, but... how threatening is a baby Dragon, really?

I think Discord never saw Spike as a threat because while he is Twilight's closest friend he isn't an actual representative of one of the elements or the new Rainbow Dash.

Also my headcanon theory is that Discord's "corruption" only works while he has physical contact or direct eye-contact with another creature to hypnotize them, yet Discord never did either to Spike.

Was Discord ever made aware of their relationship? I mean, when he first reveals himself to the ponies, it's the mane 6 and Celestia. Later we see Spike as Rainbow Dash, but... how threatening is a baby Dragon, really?

Discord knew everything about the ponies and their weaknesses when he first confronted them and he saw Spike/new Rainbow Dash when Twilight tried to use the elements. It's a shame too, since based on "Secret of My Excess" a corrupted Spike would have been very useful for him.

1. Could be that he is a dragon and he might have some powers we might not know off.

2. Most likely, he wanted to corrupt the holders of the elements of harmony since it seems logicly to focus the biggest thread first. If they are out of the way, he could do whatever he wanted to.

Number 2 sounds like the correct theory. After all, Discord was smart enough to focus his main efforts on the Mane Six due to their connection to the Elements of Harmony. As we all saw when Spike was 'dubbed' the NEW Rainbow Dash during the episode, he was no threat to Discord's power or plans. Why bother to corrupt Spike? It would've been wasted effort on his part.

Yeah, as others have pointed out, He simply thought he did not need to do anything to Spike.

I think Discord's ego and plans simply did not consider Spike a threat to his grand scheme of removing the only thing that could stop his rampage; the Mane 6 and their control of the Elements of Harmony.

I mean he went out of his way to mind-raep Fluttershy when she was the only friend of Twilight who actually resisted his trickery. The STARE had to be a Major Threat to him even if the other elements had been corrupted, but a baby dragon? pffft!

Fortunately Celestia turned the non-threat into her hole card, sending all the friendship letters back through him to remind and rescue Twilight and the rest.

In yo face Discord! :D

Discord knew everything about the ponies and their weaknesses when he first confronted them and he saw Spike/new Rainbow Dash when Twilight tried to use the elements. It's a shame too, since based on "Secret of My Excess" a corrupted Spike would have been very useful for him.

Sure he saw Spike, but did he have any idea who he was? And though Discord could see their weaknessess... he obviously missed their strengths. :P

The comic is interesting. But remember, Discord was completely rebuffed by Fluttershy, and he still turned her. It was not enough to deny his lies.

Spike may have some special resistance as a dragon.

He may have been overlooked since he is a baby.

He may have been lower on the list because he wouldn't have been as much fun to corrupt.

He may have been lower on the list because he wouldn't have been as much fun to corrupt.

lol, I have a feeling that this was atleast a little bit of his reason ;)

I certainly agree with the fact that Discord's main target was the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. Note that although he did turn Ponyville into a his "Chaos Capital" no other pony was Discorded/Greyed like the six. He saw them as a threat and needed to take care of them via trickery and turning them against each other.

The other ponies and Spike weren't really threats in his mind, just possible pawns to mess with later.

I'd argue a few seperate things.

1) Spike is a dragon. Discord is no fool. He doesn't have to do much but wait until Spike hits puberty. And if it takes time, so what? He gets to watch a kid go crazy trying to keep it together.

2) Seeing as somehow Spike and Celestia are connected with some sort of mail-flame-chute, perhaps her magic wards him by default. It did seem like Discord really only dared to taunt her as opposed to the open war, or his version of it, that he unleashed on the Mane Six.

3) Spike is a dragon, and as a dragon fanboy, I'll just assume that even Discord doesn't want to mess with something on that level. This obviously has no relation to anything like sound reasoning. then again, PONIES.