http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_yLodI1CQ

The fact that this video is already filled with comments about Flim Flam and Cider astounds me XD

Altogether, great episode. I'm beginning to find that their episodes with various allusions to pop culture really shine, and they do it in a subtle enough way that makes it really fun to spot them. XP

Loved Dash's minor breaking of the fourth wall as well. "Is this some kind of sick joke...?" Maybe. XP

As many before me said: "that ending Letter was just freaking AWESOME!!!

It was a great Episode for AJ though, I did not like the Song that much (yes I did see the monorail in it) but still somehow I didn't like it that much.

Also I have to agree with Fallenfox13 on it being a tiny bit too predictable and easy for my liking.

Overall quite nice though...

Oh and I dislike Flim and Flam a lot, they in an instant went to the 3rd place of my least liked characters xD

I liked it, but it felt a little too predictable to me...(Spoilers) Mane 6 helping in the end, Flim & Flam's cider being a worse quality where no one would buy their cider making their win purposeless...just seemed too predictable. It needed more of the cake babies too!

Agreed, as soon as the vehicle was pulling up i realized exactly how the episode would be like... Predictable but it was satisfying... And be honest, how many episodes have you started watching and within 5 minutes knew EXACTLY what was gonna happen? Apple bucking season? party of one? both of the season premieres? I dont think just because it's predictable doesnt mean it can't be enjoyable.

Oh and I dislike Flim and Flam a lot, they in an instant went to the 3rd place of my least liked characters xD

Oh? and the other two?

Well my sister and I were somewhat alarmed throughout, since we didn't actually know cider was non-alcoholic overseas, so we had to assume that the whole of ponyville were alcoholics and Rainbow Dash was their queen. This clarifies things a bit :lol:

So, yeah, not a *great* episode, for me. I predicted pretty much the whole thing from the synopsis, it's a story that's been done a ton of times, so... not great. The song was nice as always, I liked that it once again had a focus on the whole of the mane six rather than just the one character it was 'about', and I, like everypony, loved Applejack's letter. But after what I considered to be a fair run of 4-star episodes, I'm afraid to see this only makes up to a combo-breaking 3-star episode for me :sleep:

Agreed, as soon as the vehicle was pulling up i realized exactly how the episode would be like... Predictable but it was satisfying... And be honest, how many episodes have you started watching and within 5 minutes knew EXACTLY what was gonna happen? Apple bucking season? party of one? both of the season premieres? I dont think just because it's predictable doesnt mean it can't be enjoyable.

Oh? and the other two?

I enjoyed it, but there are some episodes where surprises hit you (or at least me), like RD siding with the buffaloes. I liked that car/cider press machine, and Apple Bloom needs a lesson in fractions/percents...

You know, I'd like to mention that I really like how many call backs this episode makes:

-Applejack biting Rainbow's tail

-Rainbow's wub face

-Lyra hogging the camera

-Bonbon's voice acting

-Twilight's organisation skills from Dragonshy/Winter Wrap Up being put to use near the end

It's been a while since I've seen these moments: heck, some of them haven't come up since the first half of Season 1.

I just wanted to mention that it is these little things that push episodes to be a little better than they are to me. :)

EDIT: Ooh, can't forget Fluttershy squeaking. :eek:

hi hi

I also like how they implied that the two groups could have gotten along just fine if the Flim Flam brothers hadn't been out to run the Apple Family out of town. If they'd struck a fair bargain at the beginning, it wouldn't have been a huge ordeal, and in the end, the Apple Family still accepted outside help to get enough Cider made, but you know they'd have treated everyone fairly.

So with that machine they used. Does this mean Equestria has some steampunk aspects?

For board canon at least, I'm pretty sure the Griffon kingdoms largely rely on steam based technologies being that they don't have the magical abilities that the ponies do. They're much more likely to have a more steampunk-esque society.

But in that same vein, ponies don't rely too much on any form of technology being that they can accomplish almost anything they might need with magic.

With some exceptions though, such as mass producing cider :P

So I believe so. SOME steampunk-ish aspects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_yLodI1CQ

The fact that this video is already filled with comments about Flim Flam and Cider astounds me XD

Altogether, great episode. I'm beginning to find that their episodes with various allusions to pop culture really shine, and they do it in a subtle enough way that makes it really fun to spot them. XP

Loved Dash's minor breaking of the fourth wall as well. "Is this some kind of sick joke...?" Maybe. XP

I made a pony version of it :D

hi hi

I'm pretty sure the Griffins have friendship, and friendship is magic, so I personally don't see what the difference is. I'll try to not make a huge argument out of it though.

Law 3: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clark

Law 3a: "If technology is distinguishable from magic, it is insufficiently advanced." - addendum

Law 3b: "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science." - Phil & Kaja Foglio

Law 3c: "Any technology, regardless of how advanced, will seem like magic to those that do not understand it." - Mark Stanley

Of course, I often times cant help myself, much to my own misfortune.

((Edit: and here I go, now I can't help but ponder it... Technology's fundamental purpose is to change the way things are. It is driven by a need for change due to problems that are influencing the inventor. It is limited by the inventor's understanding of the world around them.

Ponies in Equestria live in relative peace and harmony, so they have little need to invent new things, however, their understanding of the world around them is very high, so when a need does arise, they're able to create things that are a lot more advanced than what is normally used.))

I enjoyed it, but there are some episodes where surprises hit you (or at least me), like RD siding with the buffaloes. I liked that car/cider press machine, and Apple Bloom needs a lesson in fractions/percents...

:/ Dont use your fancy mathematics to muddy the issue

joking aside, i agree, a surprise really does make an episode better... i was honestly expecting Rarity needed to be rescued in the diamond dog episode... a real shocker when she actually took care of it herself....

• Like 1

In all honesty ( heh ) I really loved this episode.

"Dear Princess Celestia, I learned nothing!"

I love you, Ashleigh Ball. I always have, but I think your about to get sent to the moon..

These past two episodes have really shown Applejack's positive traits. Sometimes, I think that her and

Rainbow Dash' elements of harmony should have been reversed, because she's really loyal to Twilight

and co.

On that note, I really wish they'd stop portraying Rainbow Dash as some overly-competitive athlete who

hates everything when she can't win. I guess that's sort of how she works, but nowadays, I feel that I

can't feel the cuter, feminine side of her anymore. Hopefully, things will shape up once more episodes of

her are released. It's a bit exaggerated, and I'm sure that the younger audience that are fans of Rainbow

Dash aren't be too pleased with all of these agressive appearances of hers.

Fluttershy.. I'm not even going to.

But the animation in this episode was surprisingly fluid. The Flim and Flam brother's machine and their expressions

were so accurate, I almost felt like I was watching a live-action movie.

Um. Studio B?

Barbershop Quartet ponies. I won't take no for an answer.

So I guess this episode confirms magitech as canon.

As for thoughts:

- The brothers are awesome in a seedy way...pretty much until the end.

- Big Mac gets /a/ new line. Oh well. Making progress in small steps I suppose.

- Speaking of Big Mac, love his steampunk goggles.

- DAT END LETTER

- Is anyone else catching a distinct change from season 1, in a good way? Like, less focused on pure friendship lessons and more telling stories?

That letter to Celestia felt like more than just a satire of the idea to me. It made two very important points (besides making all of us double-take): 1. You can be proud of keeping to your values. 2. Learning something virtueous (or not) doesn't always have to come off the heels of a negative or a consequence, something we've grown used to for 40 episodes. I think it was very well done.

I like how the other Mane Five considered themselves part of the Apple family, it was a real touching moment. I know that AJ seems like she hasn't had "her turn" since Applebuck Season, but I'm just fine with the "AJ episodes" revolving around the dynamic and trials of her family as a whole.

Also RD willingly eating cider-dirt was great.

finally had a chance to get on my computer to read all this. my friend called last minute today asking for a pony marathon, so I was gone all day XD

but I don't really have much to add. :/ it's all been said.

I'm off to look for granny smith is scootaloo jokes >_>

One part stands out to me in this episode...

Dear Princess Celestia, Ah'wanted to share my thoughts with you...*ahem*... I DIDN'T LEARN ANYTHING! I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They should have shown Princess Celestia reading that letter! The look on her face would have been priceless!!

And the music that followed that with Applejack skipping along? AWESOME

:kissy: :kissy: :kissy: :kissy: :kissy: :kissy: :kissy:

The Flim Flam Brother's music number? Simply catchy as hay!