Derpy's Dilemma

Rosewind

hi hi

I think everyone would probably be better off without making a big fuss about it. There's really no playing it safe in this case, because I know there's a lot of people (myself included) that got made fun of for looking different or sounding funny while they were growing up. I suspect that some amount of the back-backlash on the topic comes from people like this why might be upset by the argument that people who sound and/or look kind of funny shouldn't be on television. If the amount of fan art and fan fiction for Derpy is any indication, there are people out there that identify with the character, and thats a surefire recipe for people taking things personally.

Whatever the case, people could certainly all be better off without the kind of inflammatory statements that have been more of a trouble on other forums that aren't as nice and cozy and canterlot. :)

• 3 weeks later...

That was sweet. There's one person who actually has the right to find it offensive, and didn't.

Derpy has been spotted in several episodes since this thread started; she wasn't hacked out -- and I'm sure Hasbro is well aware of the fan reaction and how close she is to our community.

Wow, that was a touching link. (and it's not the first time people who have issues (either physical or mental) have said they are not offended by Derpy) I think it's becomming clear that Derpygate (lol) was caused by Knight Templar Parents and should be compeltely swept under the carpet.

@ Rose:

True, but also remember that this season and part of S3 have already completed production. While, no, they didnt edit her OUT they might not be adding her to any of the still-in-production shows (i.e. she may vanish in, say 317 or something) I'm betting they dont - even if she never gets another speaking role, I think they'll keep her in at her current 'wheres waldo level'

@ Rose:

True, but also remember that this season and part of S3 have already completed production. While, no, they didnt edit her OUT they might not be adding her to any of the still-in-production shows (i.e. she may vanish in, say 317 or something) I'm betting they dont - even if she never gets another speaking role, I think they'll keep her in at her current 'wheres waldo level'

I really hope they don't. The mare is out of the bag, so to speak!

What I would really like to see is another appearance with her, with her voice redone and in completely different situation that reserves everything we love about her. If pulled off right, I think it would help dispel this entire issue.

Alas, not so. Name removed, voice changed, eyes de-derped. I downloaded it from iTunes (after saving my "good" copy), and it's been totally PC-ified.

Cue "End of the world as we know it" make sure the Drama couch has been properly cleaned, we're gonna need it in this thread...

Eh her eyes are still a bit derped. I like how she actually sounds female, but did they need to go with generic valley girl and take her name out?

Full story here.

This is not the worst case scenario. I'm just glad they didn't yoink out the character, period. I am a bit fearful that her eyes won't be the same in future episodes, but only time will really tell.

Cue "End of the world as we know it" make sure the Drama couch has been properly cleaned, we're gonna need it in this thread...

This is the worst... possible...thing...EVER!

Actually, it's perfectly reasonable corporate CYA. We're not Hasbro's primary revenue source, and all it takes is a boycott by some PC parent group, and they've earned a world of hurt to their bottom line.

<IMHO>

If all you watch the show for is shout-outs, maybe you should find another show to watch. Is it disappointing? Sure. Does it ruin the show forever? Hardly.

</IMHO>

Look at it this way... The original is still out there. We knew this was coming, because it is a corporate tactic. I wish it wasn't, but hey... What can we do?

Also, I kinda don't mind the new voice, I wish it was less generic, but its not bad overall. However they botched up the flow of the scene. That is bigger issue. Also... Ashleigh Ball doesn't seem to be into it. Her voice felt stronger in the original. If you are going to change something, at least make sure its of the same quality, which they apparently didn't do...

Oh well, I still have the original...

ALRIGHT. BEFORE PEOPLE COME BARGING IN...

The episode is ONLY changed on iTunes. Besides iTunes, THE EPISODE IS INTACT. The On Demand version keeps Derpy intact, and apparently the Hub's version is still the same.

Judging by this, this MAY be un-approved, and is NOT an official edit. After all, those dubs do NOT sound official...xD

Look at it this way... The original is still out there. We knew this was coming, because it is a corporate tactic. I wish it wasn't, but hey... What can we do?

Also, I kinda don't mind the new voice, I wish it was less generic, but its not bad overall. However they botched up the flow of the scene. That is bigger issue. Also... Ashleigh Ball doesn't seem to be into it. Her voice felt stronger in the original. If you are going to change something, at least make sure its of the same quality, which they apparently didn't do...

Oh well, I still have the original...

*raises paw* I still got the 720p HD and I'm not letting go!

O_o they changed from Tabitha to Ashleigh? I didnt think she did any BG voices... Looking on the linked ED article, it looks like a lot of people actually like her new voice (I haven't heard it yet so I have no comment) I'm dissapointed that they 'underped' her and edited out her name though... I hope this isnt meant to be a symbol of Hasbro/StudioB turning their backs on the bronies...

ALRIGHT. BEFORE PEOPLE COME BARGING IN...

The episode is ONLY changed on iTunes. Besides iTunes, THE EPISODE IS INTACT. The On Demand version keeps Derpy intact, and apparently the Hub's version is still the same.

Judging by this, this MAY be un-approved, and is NOT an official edit. After all, those dubs do NOT sound official...xD

Woah! Woah! woah!

the OFFICIAL video on Hasbro's site is unedited?!!?

I'm smelling Scandal! (lol) seriously though, that *is* suspicious if the official video is still untouched...

*raises paw* I still got the 720p HD and I'm not letting go!

O_o they changed from Tabitha to Ashleigh? I didnt think she did any BG voices... Looking on the linked ED article, it looks like a lot of people actually like her new voice (I haven't heard it yet so I have no comment) I'm dissapointed that they 'underped' her and edited out her name though... I hope this isnt meant to be a symbol of Hasbro/StudioB turning their backs on the bronies...

Not what I mean... Ashleigh is the VA for RD, and that is whom I was referring to...RD. She seemed weak in the new scene. Her voice was stronger in the original. It felt like they took second best here, just to make it PC. This is clearly a half***ed effort to PCify the scene, and it shows. The flow is entirely off.

I'd have had no issues with it, if it were the same quality. Its like Ball was saying "Ugh...Really? you are making me rerecord this scene for THAT stupid reason...? Fine... Just pay me the money -_-"

edit: You know what? I think it might actually just be an Apple edit. That would explain the poor voice of Ashleigh Ball, and the poor voice direction. Also would explain the fact that it is still the same on the Hub On-Demand. So... Yeah... Apple is just being Apple most likely.

I think we were talking about Ashleigh not being into her role of RD. She was probably asked to redub and knew how many people she was going to be disappointing, and there was nothing she could do about it.

This is all speculation, of course.

Hasbro not having a united front with their content? These are the same people that hid G3 pony snacks in a G4 box for Celestia's sake!

I think the real issue is that this is the first real evidence we've seen that Hasbro did have a problem with the episode, and future content might suffer because of it -- the worst of it being we don't know what we might lose.

You ask me, this isn't an official edit.

I believe that iTunes threw this together, thinking there was a scandal, and ended up putting that...abomination out.

If this is Hasbro's doing, however.....I officially distrust them and do not have any respect for them any longer.

Not what I mean... Ashleigh is the VA for RD, and that is whom I was referring to...RD. She seemed weak in the new scene. Her voice was stronger in the original. It felt like they took second best here, just to make it PC. This is clearly a half***ed effort to PCify the scene, and it shows. The flow is entirely off.

I'd have had no issues with it, if it were the same quality. Its like Ball was saying "Ugh...Really? you are making me rerecord this scene for THAT stupid reason...? Fine... Just pay me the money -_-"

edit: You know what? I think it might actually just be an Apple edit. That would explain the poor voice of Ashleigh Ball, and the poor voice direction. Also would explain the fact that it is still the same on the Hub On-Demand. So... Yeah... Apple is just being Apple most likely.

Ah, I see... So is Tabitha till voicing Derpy then?

I think we were talking about Ashleigh not being into her role of RD. She was probably asked to redub and knew how many people she was going to be disappointing, and there was nothing she could do about it.

This is all speculation, of course.

Hasbro not having a united front with their content? These are the same people that hid G3 pony snacks in a G4 box for Celestia's sake!

I think the real issue is that this is the first real evidence we've seen that Hasbro did have a problem with the episode, and future content might suffer because of it -- the worst of it being we don't know what we might lose.

I'd agree, except for the lack of editing on the official Hub On-Demand. That would be the nail in the coffin for me with this story. I think this was Apple's doing, and it could have been in their contract that they were allowed to modify the content for iTunes. So I suspect if Hasbro and the Hub release any DVDs, it will retain the original edit.

@Ashton: I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised though.

Sorry for restating this again...but this can not be official.

If Hasbro wanted this done, they'd at least TRY.

This? Nuh uh. This was a slapdash attempt to "fix it" by Apple.

You ask me, it's just ONE COPY of the episode that everyone ignores anyway. I say, there's nothing to be afraid of.

My opinion? Our muffin-loving, derpy-eyed queen will stay... :P

I would be absolutely shocked if Apple did anything to the video, for several reasons.

1) They'd get sued out of their pants, it's not their intellectual property

2) They are the largest company in the world (market cap) right now, there's no way they're tracking minutia like this.

3) Who do you think did it, some mysterious Apple redubbing censorship department.

It's conceivable that Hasbro/Hub/DHX had to modify the version to get it back onto iTunes, after complaints to Apple. We'll know the next time the show reruns on the Hub.

Oh yes, and how the heck would Apple underp her eyes, they're not an animation house...

• Like 1

I'd agree, except for the lack of editing on the official Hub On-Demand. That would be the nail in the coffin for me with this story. I think this was Apple's doing, and it could have been in their contract that they were allowed to modify the content for iTunes. So I suspect if Hasbro and the Hub release any DVDs, it will retain the original edit.

@Ashton: I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised though.

According to ED, the DVDs still have the original Derp'd derpy on them (and also we've so far still seen good ol' derp'd derpy in the show since the incident, so... yeah, the evidence is piling up that Apple may be responcible... scary thought, but also a little relieving... hope things all straighten out...