Explains why they have no visible means to transfer electricity (do you see any electrical wires? Sure they can be underground but how do they get to Dash's place?

Google Nikola Tesla Free Energy Principle (also called "Radiant Energy" or "Wireless Transmission of Electricity")

And it's not *US* that are mucking things up but the writers, they could have had an older "Medieval" hospital with no electricity easily (although I dont think the cencors would have been to keep on the doctors cure for Dash's wing being leeches ;) lol)

Unfortunately, yes:

1.jpg

I personally don't think they meant around the room, so much as around Equestria which is why they mentioned underground. We see no visible wires around Equestria, and we have seen quite a bit of Equestria.

I personally think that it makes sense that electricity is from magical reserves, either crystals or otherwise. The usages of electricity is quite sporadic. EKGs, cool, some lights, cool, Twilight's strange technological devices (which could have been powered by her), Flim Flam's machine (powered by flim and flam).... But not having wide spread lights, and a lot of lights being from elsewhere (candles and fireflies) to me says that only certain important things use electricity means limited availability (stores, aka batteries). Everything else is used sparingly if at all unless a unicorn is powering the things themselves (or they have other method of power, like good ol' fashioned hoof work (ie conveyor belt)). It just screams limited availability. So perhaps they have an underground system of crystals that are recharged through some way, that permeates electricity to wires. (again this is all theory) Perhaps certain buildings have crystals that are in the basement that are recharged periodically by unicorns specializing in magic that powers (the equivalent of electrician ponies). I'm not sure, but the fact that none of this is wide spread and we know they have dams (that could easily power the area that they are in with the amount of power that they apparently use) means that they don't have a method to produce electricity without magic).

hi hi

Technically, the button Rainbow Dash pressed on the lamp could have just been for a shutter that was opening and closing with each press, and there were glow bugs or something inside that were on the whole time.

If there were lightning bugs in that lamp, then I sure pity them when that angry new patient (the one that claimed RD was stealing his slippers) threw that same lamp at her and BROKE it when it missed her.

Crushed bugs...... oh my...... does Equestria have an 'insect' hospital too?

:D:D:D:D

I personally don't think they meant around the room, so much as around Equestria which is why they mentioned underground. We see no visible wires around Equestria, and we have seen quite a bit of Equestria.

I personally think that it makes sense that electricity is from magical reserves, either crystals or otherwise. The usages of electricity is quite sporadic. EKGs, cool, some lights, cool, Twilight's strange technological devices (which could have been powered by her), Flim Flam's machine (powered by flim and flam).... But not having wide spread lights, and a lot of lights being from elsewhere (candles and fireflies) to me says that only certain important things use electricity means limited availability (stores, aka batteries). Everything else is used sparingly if at all unless a unicorn is powering the things themselves (or they have other method of power, like good ol' fashioned hoof work (ie conveyor belt)). It just screams limited availability. So perhaps they have an underground system of crystals that are recharged through some way, that permeates electricity to wires. (again this is all theory) Perhaps certain buildings have crystals that are in the basement that are recharged periodically by unicorns specializing in magic that powers (the equivalent of electrician ponies). I'm not sure, but the fact that none of this is wide spread and we know they have dams (that could easily power the area that they are in with the amount of power that they apparently use) means that they don't have a method to produce electricity without magic).

So in essence, this theory sort of follows Star Trek universe physics (dilithium crystals for power).

The only problem with that theory is, IF there are stones/crystals that can STORE or GENERATE magic, why hasn't a villain arose who stockpiled these power gems and tried to take over the kingdom? There are SOME evil/bad/shady characters in Equestria already (like Trixie, Flim and Flam) who could really put 'magical crystals' to work for their evil goals. And what about the dragons? They have at the least, primitive intelligence and are (by definition in "Secret to My Excess") naturally greedy (and the BIGGER the size, the GREEDIER they are) then if there were magical gems wouldn't these dragons use them to 'take over' parts of the world?

Wow! The more we try to answer the questions of Equestria, the more questions we get!

Are we 'overthinking' this thing? If so, then I plead GUILTY as charged and throw myself on the mercy of the Princess sisters!

:D:D:D:D:D

magical crystals

O_O :D CHAOS EMERALDS!

Thats it! Equestria is really Mobius! The historians were all wrong, the ancient civilization WASNT Echidnas, it was PONIES! It all makes sence!!!

Lol, seriously though...

I'm standing by my theory that Magic is cheep and Tech is expensive, so where ever possible magic is used. (Though I'm not ruling out wireless transmission of electricity, or very efficient batteries... magical or not...)

@ Mojo:

Who says that's not the plot for the S3 Big Bad? After all, you must have a LOT of magic stockpiled to overpower a Goddess like Luna......

So in essence, this theory sort of follows Star Trek universe physics (dilithium crystals for power).

The only problem with that theory is, IF there are stones/crystals that can STORE or GENERATE magic, why hasn't a villain arose who stockpiled these power gems and tried to take over the kingdom? There are SOME evil/bad/shady characters in Equestria already (like Trixie, Flim and Flam) who could really put 'magical crystals' to work for their evil goals. And what about the dragons? They have at the least, primitive intelligence and are (by definition in "Secret to My Excess") naturally greedy (and the BIGGER the size, the GREEDIER they are) then if there were magical gems wouldn't these dragons use them to 'take over' parts of the world?

Wow! The more we try to answer the questions of Equestria, the more questions we get!

Are we 'overthinking' this thing? If so, then I plead GUILTY as charged and throw myself on the mercy of the Princess sisters!

Pretty much yes. That is where I got the idea from tbh. The only difference is that a pony's special ability is to charge them. Not just any magic can be used because magic is an extension of a pony's special talent. And unless you have the ability to charge or have the ability to learn that (twilight/princess sisters) you are out of luck.

Google Nikola Tesla Free Energy Principle (also called "Radiant Energy" or "Wireless Transmission of Electricity")

And it's not *US* that are mucking things up but the writers, they could have had an older "Medieval" hospital with no electricity easily (although I dont think the cencors would have been to keep on the doctors cure for Dash's wing being leeches ;-) lol)

Why would you think because a hospital didn't have modern mundane electrical power that it has to be "medieval' in medical technology and theory? I guess all them centuries here between the end of the Middle Ages and widespread power grids there was no advances in medical technology or understanding whatsoever and doctors were using 15th century ideas such as herbs, bleeding, and leeches right up tot he early 20th century, oh wait...

I also have to point out again that Equestia isn't Earth and ponies are not humans; there is no reason to believe their technological road has to parallel ours. How terribly unimaginative if we went that route. In a world so imputed with magic, where magic itself is both one of the fundamental forces of nature and something that can be controlled and channeled, they development will be vastly different from our universe where magic simply doesn't exist. Electricity and internal combustion simply isn't needed nearly where magical manipulation can be used to similar effect and lets face it, ponies are much more sensitive about their environment than we are and consequently, much more likely to consciously want to avoid damaging it.

That and coming up with cool magical tech is just so much more creative and whimsical.

AHAH! It took a few days, but the real debate came to the surface. :-o

I have a theory about electricity in the FiM universe: Hamsters. There's a little hamster generator embedded in the wall. Fluttershy feeds them twice a day.

I also have another theory, but it's not as popular around here: this is a cartoon universe, with no real set canon except for what the story decides to use on a by-episode basis, with recurring themes, characters, and certain elements only when it makes sense to the story (Lesson Zero, Pony Pets, Luna). I know it's not popular theory, but one day...

(I think you RPers would have less of a headache if you would use a by-session canonization of what's acceptable for that particular RP, rather than having to change the rule book every Saturday.)

Why would you think because a hospital didn't have modern mundane electrical power that it has to be "medieval' in medical technology and theory? I guess all them centuries here between the end of the Middle Ages and widespread power grids there was no advances in medical technology or understanding whatsoever and doctors were using 15th century ideas such as herbs, bleeding, and leeches right up tot he early 20th century, oh wait...

I also have to point out again that Equestia isn't Earth and ponies are not humans; there is no reason to believe their technological road has to parallel ours. How terribly unimaginative if we went that route. In a world so imputed with magic, where magic itself is both one of the fundamental forces of nature and something that can be controlled and channeled, they development will be vastly different from our universe where magic simply doesn't exist. Electricity and internal combustion simply isn't needed nearly where magical manipulation can be used to similar effect and lets face it, ponies are much more sensitive about their environment than we are and consequently, much more likely to consciously want to avoid damaging it.

That and coming up with cool magical tech is just so much more creative and whimsical.

Lol, I was actually joking about the leaches, but you are correct, to an extent they were used widespread untill rather recently (chronologically speaking) and even as late as the 1990s people were talking about there STILL being some legitimate uses for them (I want to say it was called BioTherapy or something) in draining blood from sores and such.

I'm not trying to say electricity is widespread, though the canon seems to be heading that way imo, I'm just thinking that as somone else said, magic requires a special tallent to use and is often limited in what it can do (and roughtly 1/3 of the population cant use it, possibly more depending on other species such as griffens, zebras, etc) so I think it makes more sence to say "they have both but magic is more common" And who's to say that certain ponies like Dash dont live "off the grid" or have other means of gennerating electricity (all those flowing rainbow pools, she could easily have a hydroelectric gennerator if she wanted)

heh... magic is clean... Look up Magitech, specifically in reference to FinalFantasy III/VI, Magitech destroyed the world... (but then it could be argued it's the same as nuclear power - in the right hands it's a powerful tool, in the wrong, a devastating wepon) I do completely see your point and I do agree with you to an extent.

The problem here is we're human and humans tend to try to make things as familiar as possible, wheather by design or accident, which is why these Achronisms pop up. (Also some of us like a set-in-stone TechLevel for writing/RP purposes)

Sorry if this is rather dissorganized, I'm a little tired...

(I think you RPers would have less of a headache if you would use a by-session canonization of what's acceptable for that particular RP, rather than having to change the rule book every Saturday.)

Yes, that fun little conversation at the front of every RP session where you hash out every technological detail...

Or instead, perhaps, the joy of discovering that you're RPing with some powergamer who wants a laser gun.

You don't have to hash out every detail -- just foot a note saying "Yeah, there will be electricity in this thread based on what was seen in this episode," or otherwise.

I haven't really prodded around the RP forums too much, maybe my version of what's to be expected -- or what different forms RP can take -- is from a different school of thought and practice.

I'l go for power christals, unstable christals, like in "pile anything further what takes to power like uhh... 500W and it goes kablooei (like on collapsing on them dissipating all power they have) also are very fragile (Dunno if somepony here knows about vacuum tubes) so, no electromagic on the go, flashlights should work on fireflies, the hospital can use a bedroom basis storage to keep an amount of christals to power whatever in the room via Cooper/brass/gol/iron wires with cloth insulation.

Consider: this explains anything, stationary turntables like Vinyl's, the floodlights of model stage, home light fixtures... Those work on home electricity. The mane six's iconic 'RCA-HMV' turntable, is seen as portable, on the girls "Conga line" of "sweet and elite" , in "Party of one" was on a barn.

Street lights are firefly powered, because they are too powerful to work on christals... The dam's electric looking equippment can be just to christal generation-recharge.

I'l go for power christals, unstable christals, like in "pile anything further what takes to power like uhh... 500W and it goes kablooei (like on collapsing on them dissipating all power they have) also are very fragile (Dunno if somepony here knows about vacuum tubes) so, no electromagic on the go, flashlights should work on fireflies, the hospital can use a bedroom basis storage to keep an amount of christals to power whatever in the room via Cooper/brass/gol/iron wires with cloth insulation.

Consider: this explains anything, stationary turntables like Vinyl's, the floodlights of model stage, home light fixtures... Those work on home electricity. The mane six's iconic 'RCA-HMV' turntable, is seen as portable, on the girls "Conga line" of "sweet and elite" , in "Party of one" was on a barn.

Street lights are firefly powered, because they are too powerful to work on christals... The dam's electric looking equippment can be just to christal generation-recharge.

I like this theory. It makes sense to a degree, seeing how many times electricity has come up...which would probably be equivalent to say, 1930s electricity?

hi hi

I'm sure I've said it before, but its a common folly in speculative fiction to get bogged down in the little details of why things work when the question of what things are capable of is much more important in the grand scheme of things. The only thing you really need to know about technology in Equestria is what it is capable of and how well it does it. Everything else is fluff.

• What can technology do? It can reasonably emulate the kind of things ponies can do.

• How well does it do that? Sometimes better than an individual pony working alone, but not as well as a small group of ponies working together.

Bam! There you go. That should take care of most every kind of technology, from Twilight Sparkle's steam powered computer thingy to horse drawn train engines and cider squeezers.

• Like 1

Reminds me of 'Batman The Animated Series'. It was supposed to be set in the present, but the tech was all weird. They didn't have color movies/TV, and their computers were of the LARGE FONT variety. The bloop bloop types, but they also had VR. They also had Police zeppelins. I think they just went with whatever looked cool or worked with the script. Note we still haven't seen any TVs or movie theaters in MLP and considering the lines they get for APPLE Cider, there probably isn't a lot of entertainment options around Ponyville.

As for the episode, I was HAPPY not to see the generic Indiana Jones rolling boulder cause EVERYONE does that in Indy parodies. While watching this episode, I was sitting there, WAITING for the boulder to come,and was thankful when it didn’t. :)

I think the tech fits in nicely at different levels, They only have the tech levels they need for a given problem. since they can get around just fine without a car and there's no real road infrastructure to give cars an advantage, thee are none invented. (though they seem to have a 'speedy' enchantment on wagons to make them faster when a pony team pulls it ;-)

They are herbivores and would tend to be conservative on developing or improving tech. only taking jumps when it is something that earth ponies need to do when there arent pegas or unis to do it for them. essentially a tech based on matching what can already be done by a pony type but for convenience sake. I can see the hospital needing a generator or unicorn initiated power plant in the basement to run life saving devices since I imagine unicorns who are powerful in healing magic are a comparative rarity. (no pun intended) ;)

Another example, Trains seem to be recent since moving freight by wagon trains take a while and trains on rails would have helped (train puller ponies unite! ;-) ) but having a mechanized train engine puling would seem to be safer and still be faster. (whether the train is conventional steam or unicorn powered magitech steam is up for debate)

• Like 1

Ok, wow there is a lot of stuff to respond to...

Angie: I agree the ceiling alligators were great. Who is feeding them?

Zane (and others): yes the "reading rainbow" silliness is quite enjoyable.

Regarding battleship: is this the first indication that RD also likes board games? I suspected as much, but was concerned that maybe she only liked outdoor sports.

Regarding reading speed: I am not a fast reader, and my favorite books generally take a solid day to get through, but might spread out over more if I have to work.

Regarding technology: If you could figure out how to make fireflies an efficient, practical and steady light source would you rather use them or incandescent bulbs? Aesthetics are important...

Regarding ninjas: I thought the costume was wonderful because it wasn't a sleek ninja-like costume. It was closer to black PJs. They were cute and comfy looking, but not terribly serious.

On the "Ninja Costume', I kind of chuckled when I saw that. The black works, but it's going to be hard to be sneaky when you have a rainbow colored tail hanging from the back there.

Yeah, she wasn't trying very hard to hide her identity. I think Rainbow just thought it would be cool, and I think she missed the mark in a very appealing way.

Also, the montage of RD going crazy with nothing to do made me laugh. There was an homage to "The great escape", as thought she were a prisoner, and after the whole thing was done, we discover that only a minute has gone by? HA! Her poor roommate!