Cashew Nut [Finished]

BaconofChaos

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Name: Cashew Nut (AKA Cash or Cashie to his sister)

Sex: Male

Species: Earth Pony

Eye Color: Orange

Coat Color: Vanilla

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Yellow and orange mane and tail, in a spiky style

Physique: He has a well-built physique for a colt his age from working on a farm.

Cutie Mark: Five cashew nuts arranged in a circle, with 3 magic sparkles in the middle.

Origin/Residence: Legume's Farm, near The Nimbusgate Lakes.

Motivation: Discovering and growing a variety of magical plantlife.

Character Summary:

Cashew Nut is the eldest son of Gabbon Nut and Cream Tea. Cashew has spent most of his life working on the family nut farm with his parents and younger half-sister, Peanut Butter. As the first born, Cashew took on many responsibilities at an early age. He became a very reliable young pony, albeit one with a tendancy to take steal from the cookie jar and make chocolate bar sandwiches when his parents weren't looking. When his sister was born, the first pegasus in a long line of earth ponies, there was a great tension between his parents that threatened to drive the family apart. While he didn't blame the newborn foal, he felt somewhat distant from her, finding his new baby sister as little more than an annoyance, until one day when she she said her first word: "Cashie".* From then on he and Peanut were close friends. He still occasionally teases her, but it's all in good fun. He wishes that she would accept who she is and maybe one day learn how to fly, but respects her descision not to.

Cashew found that he had knack for growing nut plants, gaining an instintive knowledge of when to water, what kinds of fertilizer to use, pest control and so on, but he never really felt satisfied with his job. One day he discovered a strange seed on the ground. Quite where it had come from he didn't know; he assumed that perhaps a bird had dropped it. He felt the urge to plant it, almost like he knew that the seed wanted to grow. After several weeks of care and attention however, the seed simply did not grow so much as a sprout. Growing frustrated, he spoke to the seed, asking "Why won't you grow? I've done everything I normally do! What do you need?" As he did so, a small green tendril sprouted from the ground, a small leaf already starting to form on it. At that point Cashew realised that this seed was special, and needed ponies to talk to it in order to grow. For the next month, Cashew tended to the seed, speaking to it as if it were a dear friend, even confiding some of his secrets to it. Eventually, the nuts of the plant grew and Cashew's cutie mark appeared.

Since that day, Cashew has dedicated himself to learning more about the unusual magical plants of Equestria, and currently tends to 8 different breeds of magical nuts on his family's farm, as well as a very small crop of magical fruits and vegetables that he has collected. His favourites of the magical nuts he grows include spicy flame nuts, which if properly tended to, will cook themselves once harvested; flutternuts, which fly away if not harvested in time; and ghost nuts, which are completely invisible and taste rather like vanilla, making them excellent for cakes and pies.

As a farmer, Cashew is methodical in everything he does, almost to the point of fussiness. Caring for magical crops requires much thought and care to prevent a bad harvest, which has caused Cashew to start taking meticulous notes about everything that can affect the plants, from the weather to what colour of pots they should be kept in. On his time off, Cashew simply does whatever takes his fancy at the time, prefering to live in the moment and get away from constantly planning ahead. One day he'll play hoofball with friends, other days he'll just go for a walk, read a book, or listen to music.

*The story of this, which I wrote months ago when I first came up with the character, but before I knew who he really was, is below, for those who wish to read it, but is not part of his app.

"So, one day, Ma and Pa leave me foal-sitting the kid, 'cos they're off to see a sick uncle or something. Now she was still pretty young back then, maybe one or two years. I didn't wanna look after her the whole time, so I left her in her room with some toys and figured that was that, y'know? So I go to the kitchen, to make me a sandwich. A chocolate and marshmallow one, 'cos when the folks ain't around, I eat what I like. So I've just cut the bread and I'm looking in the cupboard for the marshmallows when PeaBee comes in, rushing around the floor, tiny wings flapping like she's one of the Wonderbolts. Well I barely have time to react before she jumps up toward the counter, and knocks the breadknife down from it! I don't have to tell ya, those things are sharp, and this one lands, point down, I swear, this close to her nose. Oh my word, you have no idea how fast my heart was pounding! So I rush over and pick her up, and I yell at her: "What're ya doing ya crazy tyke! Ya coulda killed yourself!". Now of course, she don't understand. She's just a young foal. So she looks at me with those big blue eyes and with the biggest grin I ever saw she holds out her hooves and says: "Cashie!". Well now, my heart just melts right then and there. Her first word, and it weren't "Mama" or "Papa", it was my name.

The folks came back late that day to find me and her sitting on the couch just playing around, like we'd been doing for the past couple hours. The looks on their faces, oh man, you shoulda seen 'em! Ma had those happy tears in her eyes and Pa had the first real smile on his face I'd seen in who know how long. Me and PeaBee, we just laugh and laugh at 'em. And from then on, we were close, y'know? Best of friends. Oh sure, sometimes we don' get along, but that's brothers and sisters for ya. We fight and get angry, but we always make up after, 'cos that's what ya gotta do, right?"

CashewNut.png

(Will probably redo this picture at some point)

Edited by Diego Havoc

I love this character idea, I love his cutie mark story, and I love the magical plant you created forhis cutie mark story. :)

I've been pondering the SAME THING with Bramble, and one of the things I am doing is thinking up magical plants that Bramble can visit all across Equestria while he's travelling. :) And borrow their seeds and take them home and plant them in his greenhouses....

• Like 1

I love this character idea, I love his cutie mark story, and I love the magical plant you created forhis cutie mark story. :)

I've been pondering the SAME THING with Bramble, and one of the things I am doing is thinking up magical plants that Bramble can visit all across Equestria while he's travelling. :) And borrow their seeds and take them home and plant them in his greenhouses....

Thanks very much ^^

There's a lot of potential for RP with magical plants in the mix. Going on a quest to find a rare plant. Searching for the secrets to making them grow. Perhaps even dealing with with a few dangerous breeds (do plants have breeds?)

Perhaps we'll get Bramble and Cashew together to swap magical gardening tips sometime!

Title:

Oh yes, this comes first! Please place your character's name in the title, along with its species, and its status! It should look like this:

[Pegasus] Tales [FINAL]

The first set of brackets is for the Species, which is explained below. It'll be a Topic Prefix rather than in brackets though. No need to add it twice! In the middle goes the Name of your character (everypony needs a name!). In the last brackets goes the status. Still working on a character? [WIP]! All finished, edited, and ready for RP Helpstaff assessment? [FINAL]!

You know what? I like it - the story is very well crafted, the character really shines through and as far as the idea of the magical seeds goes?

Likin; it - I can see there's a lot of scope for the RP's involving him, so long as you keep realistic limits to how the seed magic works.

AppAssessed.png