Broken horns?

korok132

I know that there's an option in the pony maker to have a broken horn, and I just want to see what the board-canon explanation would be if a unicorn were to break their horn.

Basically, what happens to the unicorn's magic when they break their horn? Do they just outright lose their magic, or is it that their magical ablities just get crippled? Does it grow back? Is it fixable by, say, taping it back on?

Not asking because I'm planning on breaking some horns or anything, it's just something that crossed my mind while derping around with the pony maker.

Also, would a broken-horned unicorn be acceptable for the mane RP? Given that there's a reason that's, well, reasonable.

• Like 1

I honestly was legit serious when I suggested taping the horn back on. And now I'm imagining a unicorn shooting sparks everywhere like when Ron broke his wand. And now I'm laughing.

But yeah, in all seriousness, I kinda want an answer to this, according to the mods/admins.

My personal opinion (and the staff may shoot this down) is that the horn is the source of the unicorn's magic, and if it's broken slightly they essentially lose a level or two in power, while if it's broken completely off they are in essance an earth pony minus the "earth connection" (a severe punishment in most fics I've seen is when a unicorn abuses their power to an extreme, their horn is removed, permanently removing their magic unless they find other means (depending on the fanon, this may be possible or may not))

Yeah, I was kinda under the assumption of "broken horn is like breaking a leg, both make it hard to use them (legs for walking, horns for magic). So a broken horn is just a crippled unicorn, making even levitating difficult. Complete removal probably would completely cut them off from magic, unless they're really, really good at it (see: Twilight Sparkle).

Wheather horns can grow back or be 'repaired' and 'heal' like other bones I've never seen addressed...

In my own fanon, the only way for a pony to use magic without a horn is a blood-pact or using Runes (both of which come with some sever penalties) though obviously these dont apply to canon or even site-canon... unless your in one of my crossover threads ;)

I'd like to think that if I were a unicorn and I accidentally did something stupid to break my horn that I'd still be able to do magic. And my mind immediately went to thinking "prosthetic horn." It's not nearly as good as a natural horn, but it still allows them to use some basic magic, like levitating. But for broken-but-not-broken-off, I think just being crippled and unable to do magic until it mends, again like being unable to use a broken leg or a broken arm.

The only problem we have here is the breaking of horns and how long it takes for them to be restored. Or even if they can be restored. We've seen that teeth can be re-grown via magical herbs, but there's been nothing that suggests horn growth or restoration which makes this kind of tricky. After discussing it with staff:

skye said:

It is my conclusion at this point that unicorn horn growth should be something that starts from birth and is a constant thing that takes a while to reach full length. Unlike Hair(The fastest), fingernails (Medium) or hooves (Slow), it is a very slow process that takes a very long time. How long, is really hard to say since we do not know how long ponies live in the series. But I would project that as an equivalency, it takes at least until the teens for a unicorn to reach full extension of their horn, say about 18 years of age when they are considered mature. Thus, full regrowth in a year is not possible unless some severe magic (Likely something that Zecora MIGHT be able to do, and that's a very very light might) is involved. Possibly there are unicorn healers that can restore broken horns (And likely, like a missing limb, would have to graft it back on somehow using magic) but this would result in the reduction of a unicorn's power for a while, if not permanently and so should never be taken lightly.

-stuff about Lanceguard-

Taken from Frain Breeze's Lanceguard bio.

It's alright for me to put my two bits in even though I haven't signed up to roleplay yet, right?

Either way, I'd like to think that horns do grow back like any other bone, especially since that part at the beginning of "Green is not your Colour" has Rarity getting her horn filed the way you would with your finger nails which does imply that it grows through-out the Unicorn's life.

Perhaps the way it works is that if it cracks or breaks off that it weakens the Unicorn's magical ability until it grows back and that it would take longer to heal than, for example, a broken leg (perhaps having the crack bandaged or the attatched part sanded into a smoother shape helps to speed healing and/or bring their magic a bit closer to what it normally is and maybe several times what it takes for regular bones)

Of course one question is does a Unicorn's horn actually do magic or is it meant to focus magic? Because it does end in a sort of point and it is where the third eye is supposed to be on humans so it could be for focusing magic rather than generating it....Sorry if I'm going a bit off topic but it's interesting to think about

Of course one question is does a Unicorn's horn actually do magic or is it meant to focus magic? Because it does end in a sort of point and it is where the third eye is supposed to be on humans so it could be for focusing magic rather than generating it....Sorry if I'm going a bit off topic but it's interesting to think about

My stance on this, which has never been adressed in-series afaik, is that magic is a force of nature, and the horn is the focal point. Theoretically and pony that somehow got a horn propery "wired in" to their brain (so to speak) would be able to focus magic. Likewise other creatures without horns can focus it, possibly in less effective ways (I'm a fan of the idea that ANYONE can do magic with the right tool and enough training) Example (from one of my fanfics, and depending on interpretation possibly very slightly canon): Fluttershy has a connection to earth and the animals, allowing her access to Druidic spells after enough practice.

The following is based largely through the treatment of unicorns and their horns in popular media. A unicorns horn is a very precious thing, and the loss of it tends to have severe consequences. An alicorn (unicorn horn ) is treated as a magical focus, or as magical in itself. When it is lost, the unicorns magic ability suffers. Either through severe impairment of magic abilities, or through the entire loss of magic ability. Think of an alicorn as a wizard's staff, or a wand in Harry Potter. Lose your wand, lose your spells. The most extreme penalty of a unicorn losing its horn is death, or sometimes a type of everlasting sleep from which the unicorn can only awaken when its horn is reaffixed to its head.

Alternatively, damaging a horn can lead to loss of control over a unicorn's spells, leaving the affected unicorn unable to precisely control the effects they conjure. This creates a sort of wild magic, with largely unpredictable effects. Wand analogy applies here too. Casting a spell with a damaged magic item can have tricky and sometimes dangerous results.

In popular fantasy media, Unicorn horns are almost always highly valued, and in themselves possess magic properties. A very good example of this is the movie Legend, where a severed alicorn can be wielded as a type of magic wand. In many other instances they have healing properties, and the ability to purify water.

I have played on another RP board with a character who had a broken horn. Basically his power was weakened that he could barely do simple spells like telekinesis. I think it would limit the ability of a unicorn, just like a broken wing would cripple a pegasus temporarily. I believe that like a wing a horn can heal but under great magic to do so.

As for magic, I believe each race has some magical affinity. Earth ponies have connection with the land and nature, pegasus ponies with the sky and elements, and unicorn with the more classical sense of magic like teleporting or telekinesis.

Welp, let me dig up some of the Applications that have broken horned Unicorns...

Also of note is that her horn is broken. It was like this at birth, thereby limiting her magic a great deal. Draggle essentially functions as an earth pony.
Lanceguard was still able to use magic after damaging her horn, but she practically never trains her spells anymore. She only really works on her magic when it's all she can do, such as when traveling by train or when recovering from an injury. Lanceguard's family occasionally picks on her for her low magic ability, but it's all in good fun. Her horn still isn't perfect since she got her cutie mark, so she wears a false horn over it to hide the damaged bit.

So yes, it does limit magic, to the point where some Unicorns may not be able to perform it at all. Horns can and do grow back, but it takes many years. But, they can break just like your arm if put under a lot of stress or exertion, etc.

The way I see it, Unicorn magic is controlled from their mind, and the horn is the vessel that turns their magical commands into action. So instead of losing a 'level or two' in magical capacity, you would simply be unable to perform it. As Tales mentioned above, breaking a horn is like breaking your arm. You'll still have it, but it won't work as effectively.

So in essence, you'll have all the magical ability you'd want, but your horn is not strong enough to transfer it.