Rarity [Final]

RarityDash

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Name: Rarity

Sex: Female

Species: Unicorn

Eye Color: Bright blue

Coat Color: Soft white

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Rarity's mane is a deep purple in color, and styled elegantly so that it curls tightly both in the front and back. Her tail is similarly colored and is worn in a single long and flowing curl.

Physique: Rarity is about average size for a mare her age. She is relatively thin and trim, but hardly athletic.

Cutie Mark: Three beautiful blue diamonds, arranged as seen here:

236px-AiP_CM_Rarity.svg.png

Origin/Residence: Born and raised in Ponyville, where she still resides in her home and business, Carousel Boutique.

Occupation: Sole proprietor, designer and seamstress of Carousel Boutique, a quality dress shop located in Ponyville.

Motivation: Rarity's primary motivation is to make others happy, mainly through her dresses. She is further motivated by being as successful and perfect at her craft as she possibly can be. Though doing what is right by others invariably wins out for her, she nevertheless keeps an eye always on her reputation within the fashion community.

Likes: Beautiful gems, all that goes into making dresses, making others look beautiful, her friends and family, Canterlot high society, the greater world of fashion, and receiving attention.

Dislikes: Dirt and messiness, her reputation being damaged, boring old rocks, rude or crude behavior, the unfashionable, disappointing anypony -- especially her friends and family, and anything she does being any less than perfect.

Character Summary:

You wish to know my story, darling? How fun. I must say that I do love interviews. It only follows that the more they want to know about you, the bigger you've made it! Further more, it's simply a delight to recount my story. Let's waste no more time! I'll start from the beginning...

I owe a lot of my success to my parents. They're fairly ordinary ponyfolk of relatively common taste, yet from early on they pushed me to follow where my heart leads. Needless to say, that was to the fabulous world of high fashion! I knew I wanted to work in fashion from very early in my foalhood. There was but one problem... one obstacle that stood in the way of the young me: I simply wasn't good enough!

As they all say, one's harshest critic is always oneself. This is true for me to an extent that can be almost shameful at times. I accept nothing less than perfection at my craft, and as a filly this was no different. Again and again, all my attempts to express the creative energy swirling within my head crashed in horrible, inevitable failure and disgrace! It was one particular instance that changed all of this. I was to make the costumes for a school play.

I toiled on those things endlessly to produce something that would satisfy me. Alas, I failed once more! The teacher lacked a discerning eye and insisted what I had produced was adequate; I however knew the costumes I had made lacked something -- they lacked that exciting spark that would have the audience captivated by their beauty! It just wouldn't cut it. No, not at all!

I had become all but resigned to my failure, when suddenly something occurred. A magical force grabbed a hold of me by the horn and started to pull me away! The weirdest thing really; at first it terrified me, but by the end, I knew it was leading me to my destiny. When it dropped me off before a massive old rock, I was needless to say offended. Yet, just as I was questioning it all, a blast of rainbow light exploded overhead, splitting that rock in two!

I would learn later that this was caused by my darling friend Rainbow Dash awakening to her own destiny, but in that moment I didn't even think to question the cause. Before me, from within the split stone, a wealth of jewels lie, shimmering beautifully as I gazed upon them! Immediately I knew what must be done. I gathered those gems and took them back to the school! Using them, my costumes shined brilliantly! Finally I had made something I could be proud of! For once, I knew I could do it! I could be a star, I could take the fashion world by storm! *laughs* Oh, and my Cutie Mark appeared that day too.

From there, it was an all too gradual process. You see, it's a lot of hard work getting started. I had to build everything up from nothing. Getting a business like Carousel Boutique going at such a young age, needless to say, was a demanding process. Getting it all to work became the center of my life for the longest time. Eventually, however, it all paid off! I was greeted by just the sweetest feeling of success. My shop had opened and was instantly accepted by the ponies of Ponyville. I worked hard to make everypony happy. I was confident in my dresses. I knew that if I could please my customers, soon the world of fashion would notice!

Now, I can say with all certainty my star is on the rise! First it was the famed Hoity Toity who set his eyes upon my dresses, then I find the one and only Sapphire Shores wandering into my shop to place an order! After a recent foray into Canterlot, my name is even more well known among the fashion elite; why I've even made a friend of Fancypants himself! Orders coming into the shop have, needless to say skyrocketed as of late. The work is consuming, but to tell the truth, I couldn't be happier with my life on the business end. Success feels good! I definitely welcome this newfound fame.

On the social end, things are looking up as well. Sure, there aren't any stallions in my life; to be honest, that's no longer a high priority of mine after the thorough disappointment I faced at the Grand Galloping Gala. However, I do have just the greatest group of friends now! After years of it being just my darling cat Opalescence and I, with the Boutique being the sole center of my world, it's delightful to have some other ponies I can just simply be with and enjoy myself.

It was Twilight Sparkle who brought us together. She's darling really, and her magic is incredible -- far greater than anything I could ever hope to manage. I just question how a Canterlot unicorn could ever be so hopelessly unfashionable! With her came Spike, who is just the sweetest little guy. I feel kind of bad sometimes about how far he'll go for me, but I'm nevertheless extremely flattered by how he feels. He is a great friend.

Applejack was the hardest of the group for me to warm to. We're polar opposites really, and at first I just couldn't see past her messy, unkempt exterior to the wonderful, firm friend on the inside. We're closer now; it was her who helped me prove myself to my darling sister, Sweetie Belle, after I had made some critical mistakes by her. I'm not the best at dealing with Sweetie, you see; growing up, we never had quite the closeness that a lot of sisters share. Yet she's nevertheless extremely important to me. I'll always be thankful to Applejack for helping me set that right.

Fluttershy is probably the one in our group with the most common interests to me, and we needless to say get along swimmingly save for the occasional communication hiccup. Pinkie Pie is fun; I actually have a fairly high tolerance for her brand of craziness. Only on occasion does she really push it with me. Goes to show there's always such a thing as simply too much. And finally, I have so much respect for Rainbow Dash. That's a pony, like me, living for a dream with only her passion to guide her. She's a great friend too. I was shamefully callous to her in Cloudsdale, which lead to me placing myself and others in mortal peril; despite how I acted, Dash pushed herself past her own limits and saved my life. As I told Celestia herself that day, she truly is the greatest flier in all of Equestria.

That's about the full story, I suppose. Unless of course you have something else to ask? What's that? 'How would I describe myself as a pony?' Well, I like to think I'm a good friend. When Twilight came and we had to fight Nightmare Moon, it was the Element of Generosity which was mine. This is suiting I think. Nothing matters more to me than pleasing others in addition to myself. I spend so much time making sure every customer I get is truly happy with what they receive. No exceptions! If I can't please everypony, the anxiety I suffer is overwhelming.

I do work to always please myself as well -- perhaps the more daunting task. I'm a perfectionist; there's no two ways about that. Everything my hooves touch has to be perfect down to the last detail. I know I take this too far sometimes; I'll miss a lot of the bigger picture while focusing on the minute. I'm likewise perhaps excessive in my dramatics on occasion, and I do like to be the center of attention. I have a bold, vibrant personality and I definitely have no qualms about flaunting, and even on occasion using it to my advantage. Do I suffer from vanity? Perhaps, but as I see it I have reason to be a little vain.

More than that, I'm just a dedicated young mare, running her own business, guided by her passion to make beautiful dresses, working hard toward realizing her dream of fame within the fashion world while taking just enough time to enjoy herself with her friends. To tell the truth, darling, I couldn't be happier with that!

Picture:

636px-Rarity_opening_theme.png

I always like to submit finished Apps. I just like to do everything at once. :)

I doubt I'll have the advantage for long. You guys will finish your apps and probably a bunch more will appear before it's time for a decision.

I always like to submit finished Apps. I just like to do everything at once. :)

What nobody seems to realize is the timer starts as soon as an app appears, WIP or FINISHED, so I try to get mine up ASAP so the timer starts then.

I noticed a lot of cast, and especially Mane 6 applications had color in them. I was under assumption the rules were different or something. Same reason I went ahead and wrote most of it from Rarity's perspective when last I checked that was kind of frowned upon in the rules as well. :blush:

I noticed a lot of cast, and especially Mane 6 applications had color in them. I was under assumption the rules were different or something. Same reason I went ahead and wrote most of it from Rarity's perspective when last I checked that was kind of frowned upon in the rules as well. :blush:

Not that rules are necessarily different, per se... but it does add spice.

As for the Rarity POV thing, some of the staff don't like first person Applications, some do. But, whether POV or omniscient, it doesn't change the content!

I think character POV is good for cast apps. Gives a chance for us to show off the voice we have in mind for writing the character.

I actually disagree with this because it limits the information you can give to what the character knows... Think about the episodes with entwined plotlines where one effects the other but nobody knows it (such as Spike in "Lesson Zero," Fillie Dash in "Cutie Mark Chronicles" Zecora in "Bridle Gossip") and think how much clearer (if duller) the plots would have been if you had seen all sides of the story.

Now, granted a good writer *can* tell a story from any perspective and it still be coherent, but I personally feel 3rd person allows one to add far more detail than first (especially since 3rd INCLUDES first)

That's a fair point. You definitely can be more comprehensive with third person. I would never even consider using first person for an OC app.

But with these contested Main cast ponies, I feel an important part of it is displaying our personal take on the character. I mean, the staff know who Rarity is. The question they face is who is best to play as her. I think writing the application in Rarity's voice gives me a chance to show how I'd approach writing her.

That's a fair point. You definitely can be more comprehensive with third person. I would never even consider using first person for an OC app.

But with these contested Main cast ponies, I feel an important part of it is displaying our personal take on the character. I mean, the staff know who Rarity is. The question they face is who is best to play as her. I think writing the application in Rarity's voice gives me a chance to show how I'd approach writing her.

Meh, my argument is that you'd be writing her in 3rd person (I hope... gawd I hate 1st-person RPers... but that's a pet-peeve) you do have an interesting point though, since one might consider the whole app to be a "sample RP" them... certainly some food for thought...

Meh, my argument is that you'd be writing her in 3rd person (I hope... gawd I hate 1st-person RPers... but that's a pet-peeve) you do have an interesting point though, since one might consider the whole app to be a "sample RP" them... certainly some food for thought...

Yes. However, RP mostly seem to be done in third person limited rather than omniscient; a post is still largely written from the character's point of view and her point of view only, even if it isn't told explicitly in her voice. Additionally, a lot of writing RP posts is getting the dialog right, and of course that part is always in first person.

For cast apps when I read them, I prefer first person. It gives me a much greater idea of how the character is to be played than just a block of information. Block of information is fine for an OC, but since Cast characters are contested and valued a bit more, it is nice to see the 'voice' being used for the character.

Both first or third person is acceptable and the difference is trivial, really we are looking at quality and the ability to take the character beyond what is just known already from the show. We will not count it against you for doing third person (nor would we if it was first person). :) Your fine.

I like a mix of first-person and third-person in an app - first person does indeed give more of a feel for how you see the character, while third-person gives more information. So I see both sides of the issue, I just think you don't have to do it only one or only the other.

What I really like about this application is that Rarity does sound much more like she's just fondly remembering events, but if it had a flaw, it'd be that it really doesn't extrapolate any from the show - it's just what we've seen of her in the show thus far.

I like a mix of first-person and third-person in an app - first person does indeed give more of a feel for how you see the character, while third-person gives more information. So I see both sides of the issue, I just think you don't have to do it only one or only the other.

What I really like about this application is that Rarity does sound much more like she's just fondly remembering events, but if it had a flaw, it'd be that it really doesn't extrapolate any from the show - it's just what we've seen of her in the show thus far.

Thanks! :)

It's largely intentional that I didn't go too far beyond what is shown in show (though I did make some assumptions about her career focus prior to Twilight's arrival, her massive increase in business lately, and a few other such things). I don't know if it's the right strategy or not, but with this app I was more intending to find and convey a voice for Rarity and make it at least somewhat believable as a simple interview. The details themselves weren't as important to me, so I tried to be relatively concise and keep it just to what I thought was important (in this case: Cutie mark story, career, relationships and personality).

I won?! :-o:?::?:shock::-|

The other apps were so good. I seriously didn't think I was going to get her. :blush:

Can't say I'm not happy about this though. Hopefully I do this great character justice. ;)

I won?! :-o:?::?:shock::-|

The other apps were so good. I seriously didn't think I was going to get her. :blush:

My sentiments exactly! lol. Seriously, please do not take this wrong, but I really wasn't expecting you. I must go back and study your app and see what your approach was, clearly there was some hidden genius at work that slipped past my ADD ;) (actually I think I'm starting to get a picture of what the staff really want... but if I'm right, it's VERY hard to pull off - extra props to you for doing so!)

Congrats!