[Canterlot] Pegasi of a Feather: In the Land of the Bored and Broken

SteelEagle

Pegasus ponies were a tragic lot, all things told. They were gifted with stunning wings which gave them the greatest gift that anyone could ask for, the ability to fly into that great sky above. It allowed for them to traverse a near endless horizon. Their abilities with the weather and, truth be told, superior physical being were attributes gifted to them by their wings. But, the curse was that they did so alone, only graced by a handful of other life forms. The sky was a lonely place, and ponies were naturally social creatures. So it only made sense to fly towards the ground.

But then again, as she was laid up in the hospital, Pathfinder figured that there were many solid reasons why Pegasi normally didn't careen into the ground often. First, they were raised not to, which had the practical effect of not getting them injured and the symbolic effect of not making them appear idiotic as a species. Secondly, they tended to look at where they were going as they neared the ground. The Earth ponies looked both ways when they pulled those silly carriages, Unicorns looked where they were using their magic, and Pegasi kept a close watch where they were flying. Normally. Usually.

But then again, how often had Pegasi been reading at the same time?

Pathfinder had been returning from a meet-up of the Fan Club Presidents in Canterlot. She had amazed and befuddled them with her amazing stories of adventures and daring deeds, as well as her recitation of her fan fiction. They had been scheduled to go for only a few hours, but she had been able to make it an overnight party due to her force of will and forty-five chapter long story. A few had tried to leave to get food, turn off stoves, and otherwise get stuff done, but it was a time for enjoyment and she would have none of it!

But, despite all the fun they were having, that buzz-kill Fandom blurted out that the author had sent him a snippet of the next novel. Pathfinder didn't consider herself rude, but she was overwhelmed with the desire to protect safeguard cherish do what Daring Do would do, and take the very first snippet. In her glee, she flew out of the window and was soon over Canterlot, reading the work feverishly.

The window had been at an odd angle, pointed down. So enamored was she with her gift, so caught up in the thrill, that she had paid no heed to the ground. It paid her all the attention it could as she slammed into it, skidded along the ground, did some flips, and eventually twisted her way at high speeds into a pillar. As poor a decision as that was, it wouldn't have resulted in a trip to the hospital save for the fact she had careened into the pillar at a side angle, jamming her right wing against the pillar as her body pushed against it until it had broken. Bad.

She hated hospitals.

Not because she thought they were unneeded, oh no. They were vital and the ponies who worked their magic, figuratively and literally, were truly marvellous. But the cost at the end of the day always seemed to be a few thousand bits more than she had on herself. Of course, in Equestria, one was never denied care- but it was also true she had mountains of debt in at least two hospitals. Well, make that three- between all the magic and work required to repair her wing and a hospital stay estimated at a week was more than a handful of bits.

It could have been worse. Pathfinder was certainly a talkative, sociable mare and her roommate was quiet. He always seemed to be in thought and patient, which was something she herself wasn't. She was a mare of action as the two spoke, it was clear that his mind was more soothing and analytical. He was a botanist with a love of travel, something which very quickly bonded them. While he did not have the same travel log as her, it was nice to meet another pegasus who used wings for purposes other than looking cool. He seemed nice, and the visitors he had helped, his sister and uncle. Anypony with a good relationship with family was probably solid.Of course, his interests were anathema to her. Studying flowers and stuff didn't hold the same power as being out on an adventure, and her story was more entertaining than being poisoned by some flower. They got along as well as two ponies in a hospital could, but she didn't have plans on continuing their friendship past the trip.

But nothing could bring her down!

She still had her snippet, which she read out loud and recited before she slept almost as if it were a prayer before squealing with delight and kicking her hooves. And during the day, she would retrieve from her saddlebag beside her bed one of the sixteen books in the series as well as ream after ream of parchment for her fanfiction and letter writing needs. Did she need anything else for the week? She thought not, and informed her kind roommate of this when he ordered a set of books from somepony close- she admitted she hadn't heard him, as her ears had been listening intently to the goings on in the room next to theirs where she could swear that some sort of pig-pony was being kept- to entertain himself.

And so the situation persisted cordially and occasionally loudly as the mid-afternoon on the third day rolled on in boring fashion.

• 4 weeks later...

Canterlot general was always known to be one of the best in all of Equestria. Its reputation was easily credited to its professional staff, large comfortable rooms, amazing results, and of course, the food. The response time was also something that one can’t complain about. It was some time in the afternoon when he blacked out. He was rather lucky that his longtime friend, Maple, was there to request aid. Rain Leaf couldn’t recall any details of the incident but from what he heard, it wasn’t pretty. The toxin worked its way through his body quickly. If help had arrived any later he might not be in the situation he is now. He was thankful for that.

How could he have made such a mistake? He always did all the research he could before consuming a wild specimen. No, it wasn’t his fault. Maple told him to do it. That is why she pledged to pay for the majority of his bill. It was a rather nice gesture. They should have known that anything from the Everfree could be dangerous; being professionals and all. Well, Maple was a professional. Rain Leaf might as well consider himself a student still. He wouldn’t be where he was now if Maple hadn’t been there to start him off.

What a position he was in now. His hospital bill had been split between his uncle and Maple, something he appreciated greatly. Still, being bed bound for a week wasn’t something he had planned for. There was so much to do. He was supposed to fetch cardinal flowers for the Manehatten Aviary, desert star seeds for Dodge Junction, and Everfree bloodroot for the Fillydelphia Botanical Garden. Instead he was lying in a rather comfy hospital room with nothing to do. The mare in the cot next to him was one of the most peculiar ponies he had seen. She was a traveler as well, or as she put it “an adventurer”. Despite their different interests, the mare was a pleasure to talk to. She was a little overbearing at times but she did brighten up things with her stories.

The first two days were rather dull. His sister and his uncle visited him on both days. He greatly appreciated the fact that they took the time out of their days to check on him. There still wasn’t a sign of mom or pop but that wasn’t much of a surprise to him. Aside from that, the only entertainment he got was from his conversations with Pathfinder and those only took up a small part of the day. The mare would often lose herself into her own activities leaving him with nothing to do. He wasn’t quite sure who this Daring Do character was, only that the mare seemed to have an odd obsession with the stories. From what he gathered, the main character was an adventurer that would undertake a perilous journey to retrieve some artifact. It seemed rather bland to him but it did give him an idea. He decided to request some books from his uncle. Anything new would be fine for him. He hoped that his uncle’s bookstore had gotten some copies of Dr. Evergreen’s latest report. It was supposed to be something good this time around. He asked Pathfinder if she wanted anything but she declined stating that she had everything she needed right there with her.

Sleeping was the one thing that he didn’t have any trouble with. The medication they gave him at night made him feel incredibly relaxed; a nice change from the muscle cramps he had during the day from the toxin. His roommate performed the strangest ritual each night before she went to sleep. He heard her recite some small part of a story on both nights. It wasn’t very long and she would usually finish with an excited squeal. The mare surely didn’t notice that it woke him up. He didn’t want to be rude so he pretended to be asleep until the mare finished before going back to sleep.

Rain Leaf received his package around the mid-afternoon after an uneventful morning. The box was larger than he expected. An elegantly typed letter from his uncle wished him well and listed the books inside. One title caught his attention and he opened the box with excitement without reading over the other titles. He inhaled deeply and enjoyed the wonderful smell of new books. None of them even appeared to have been opened. He pulled them out one at a time, gently setting the books on the nightstand next to him until he came upon the book he was looking for, Dr. Evergreen’s Report on the Iris of Immortality. The title intrigued him. He had heard of the flower but he had never actually seen one. They were supposed to be incredibly rare. The legend behind them was one of his favorites.

Rain Leaf opened the book to the table of contents before he noticed something. One last book still sat at the bottom of the box. He set his book down and pulled the other one out of the box. It was a Daring Do book. He couldn’t tell if it was a new release or not but the smell indicated that it was freshly printed. The mare on the cover instantly caught his attention. He immediately looked at the mare in the other bed next to him. Both she and the mare on the cover were nearly identical in appearance. Just who exactly was the mare in the room with him? He did his best to shrug it off. “Hey, Pathfinder. My uncle dropped a Daring Do book into my box. Not sure if it is new or not. You interested?”

There were so many specks on the wall, such a veritable army that she had lost count, started counting again, and then lost count. Her imagination had given them names and rank and they did battle with the overwhelming forces of the white wall around them. It was far less exciting that she could make it, even with her amazingly creative mind.

Of course, it was all busywork. Not only to keep her sane in the hospital, but to take time off from counting the seconds to the new Daring Do book. Two days, all that was left, two days. Two days. Two days to high adventure! Two days to excitement and danger! The Mystery of the Manehattan Minute had been a stunning success and while it was true this new book was not staring Daring Do- rather, it starred Bravado, Daring Do's hunky rival and love interest- it was such an important read and thepreviewwassogoodohmycelestiawhyisn'titherenow-

- darnit! She had been doing so well! She bit her lip, wanting to pass out until the day it was released- but first, she would need to get out, and that meant...something. Could she just walk out? Naw! Of course not. Not only was that too simple, but the doctors would probably demand she rest and heal. What good was the body if the soul would never heal from the wound of not being there the day of rel-

"Hey, Pathfinder. My uncle dropped a Daring Do book into my box. Not sure if it is new or not. You interested?” Rain Leaf asked kindly, tossing the work over to Pathfinder. She had a mini-heart attack before she looked at the cover.

"'Daring-Do and the Synergy of the Saxon Staff'? Not new, but definitely one of the more unusual books! And freshly printed? Ooooh, this must be the THIRD printing! I have a signed first edition, a signed first edition paperback, and a pristine second edition as well! I wonder if my third edition copy is waiting for me at home?" Pathfinder starts excitedly, sniffing the book.

"New book smell! You can always tell a new print, because the heat of the print is still somewhat present. See how the pages are still warm? So cool! I love new books, d you? Daring Do has a new book coming out in just two days and I'm dying to get it! this is cool too, thanks Leafy!" She squeeled with joy, plopping back into her cot to read it. Yeah, she knew it back to front and even had an older copy with her, but a hardcover new printing was deliciously different from her older, signed first edition paperback.

She read aloud, talking about the mystery of the Saxon Staff and all of its various myhtholigical references, using a blend of some historical fact and weaving a complex fiction. She squealed when it was revealed that it was not a narrator, but a somewhat aging Daring Do in an auditorium, holding it in hand.

"'And this,' Daring Do said with a smile, twirling the priceless staff effortlessly, white-stricken administrators covering their faces in horror as the greatest of disasters flashed before their eyes, "'is how I retrieved it and saved Equestria.'"

She gave another squeal. It was such a fun adventure, though it had unusual parts in it and at least a few questionable canon flaws, but nonetheless, it was a high-octane adventure.

Pathfinder continued reading, the story flowing partially from memory. It started, and ended, with the Iris of Immortality, an ancient ruin, and a Staff with ill-repute...

• 1 month later...

"'Daring-Do and the Synergy of the Saxon Staff'? Not new, but definitely one of the more unusual books! And freshly printed? Ooooh, this must be the THIRD printing! I have a signed first edition, a signed first edition paperback, and a pristine second edition as well! I wonder if my third edition copy is waiting for me at home?" Pathfinder started. The mare paused to sniff the fresh print.

“Wow.” Rain Leaf said with a chuckle. He found it amusing that the mare was so devoted to the series. Then again, he was guilty of owning at least three copies of Dr. Evergreen’s Everfree Forest guide, something that had gotten him out of more than just one sticky situation. But then again, it really wasn’t really the same, right?

"New book smell! You can always tell a new print, because the heat of the print is still somewhat present. See how the pages are still warm? So cool! I love new books, do you? Daring Do has a new book coming out in just two days and I'm dying to get it! This is cool too, thanks Leafy!" The mare squealed with joy and plopped back into her cot.

Who didn’t love the smell of a new book? He could almost remember all of the times he bought a new, freshly printed book from his uncle’s store. There was almost something magical about it. “No problem at all. You know, if you really want that new book you can always drop my uncle’s shop, Tartaran Text. Just mention my name and I am sure he would be more than willing to get you a copy. Who knows, he might even be able to get you an autographed copy.” Rain Leaf said with a chuckle as he returned to his reading. ‘Leafy?’ He wasn’t sure how he felt about the nickname Pathfinder gave him.

Rain Leaf returned to his comfortable position and turned to the first chapter in his book. He always loved to read the good doctor’s notes at the start of every chapter. Sometimes he would write about a behind the scenes blooper, other times he would do a recap on previous events. It was easy for Rain Leaf to lose himself in the book. There was a problem, though. Pathfinder was reading the book he gave her out loud. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem but he found himself listening to this story about Daring Do more than he was reading his own book.

It wasn’t long until he just set his book down all together. He just couldn’t stay into it. “Maybe on another day.” he muttered quiet to himself. "So, Pathfinder, how long are you in for?” he asked casually. The prison humor seemed appropriate for their current predicament. What he wouldn’t give to be back out in the field with his trust trowel and his field guide. From what she had told him, Pathfinder certainly wasn’t a pegasus that wanted to be trapped in a sterile white room all day.

• 2 weeks later...

Pathfinder.png

The Synergy of the Saxon Staff had many endearing flaws, as befit a book written by a pony recovering from a fit of lunacy. Some claimed that it was due to pressure but Pathfinder chose to take heart in the author's post mental hospital release statement: "I wasn't checked-in because I was insane. I was checked in because I was too sane." He had been committed for reasons that didn't make any sense to Pathfinder. Who could possibly have a breakdown to fan persistence? Silly.

And so the book that resulted from his madness was quirky. He had lots of time to read and from an interview she had devoured some time later, Dr. Evergreen’s Report on the Iris of Immortality had been one thing he had taken the time to truly study and understand. It had formed the basis for the depiction of the Iris as it was in the story and one of the better researched, if at times vague, legends ever portrayed. It made for an exciting read, thinking about the reality(even if alleged reality at best) of something as awesome as a flower that gave immortal life, a warlord-prince from ages past, and a staff of such power that it cmmanded both! Awesome! Almost awesome enough for her to ignore her admittedly cool roommate. Almost.

“No problem at all. You know, if you really want that new book you can always drop my uncle’s shop, Tartaran Text. Just mention my name and I am sure he would be more than willing to get you a copy. Who knows, he might even be able to get you an autographed copy.”

As kind as the offer was, Pathfinder knew it was more talk than anything. Why, she went through all channels available, legal and otherwise, to get her works autographed. The author knew her so well that she didn't even have to tell her name to him, the police, or his lawyers anymore! But it was still good to know her roomie's uncle's shop, if for no other reason than if banned everywhere else she could worm her way in there.

"So, Pathfinder, how long are you in for?”

Pathfinder moaned in disgust.

"A full week! It's already been a few days and I feel as though I'm about to insane! Almost as insane as the author before he was committed to the looney bin and read up on the Iris of Immortality! But don't you worry, I'm fixing to get out of here the second I feel up to it, doctor's release or not!" She yelped as excitedly as she could, good wing flapping as if devastatingly frustrated.

Rain Leaf continuously found himself looking back down at the book on the nightstand beside him. He was pretty surprised that he actually put down something by the great Dr. Evergreen. The stallion was a genius! Everything that Rain Leaf was had come from reading the doctor's reports. They had everything! Every last detail was described and every location shown. Obviously he wouldn't be in the situation he was in now if he would have picked up the guide that the doctor published a few months back. He didn't think that he would need a guide. He thought he knew better. He thought Maple knew better. Nope, instead he had to spend a few more days in the hospital until his system was cleared. If only the hospital had something decent to drink. Water was fine for a while, but after a few days of nothing but water he was really beginning to crave something with flavor.

Every now and then he would begin to wonder what kind of havoc his cat, Yarrow, was wreaking upon his couch and his other furniture. Hopefully his sister would get there soon enough to feed the poor thing. He could only hope that the cat hadn't tampered with any of his projects.

Pathfinder moaned with disgust. "A full week! It's already been a few days and I feel as though I'm about to insane! Almost as insane as the author before he was committed to the looney bin and read up on the Iris of Immortality! But don't you worry, I'm fixing to get out of here the second I feel up to it, doctor's release or not!" she replied in answer to his question.

"Doctor's release or not?" The mare's answer was both exciting and worrying. The question of who the mare really was started to poke at his brain again. She couldn't be hinting at the idea of possibly breaking out. That would be absurd. The mare did seem eager about something. Maybe she was planning a new "adventure" of some kind once she was out of their small white cell. "What are you planning exactly?" he asked cautiously.

Pathfinder.png

"Doctor's release or not?"

Pathfinder grinned wide and hungrily.

She never waited for the doctor's release, oh no. While she was sure their eyes were purely on healing the sick and injured, it was all too convenient that you were booted out just as the bill was done. Maybe it was just because the work was finished, or maybe it was so they could be sure you'd pay. She'd been told that she would be cared for regardless of debt but truth be told an adventurer didn't become awesome by nodding one's head and agreeing with what authority told her to do.

"What are you planning exactly?"

She nodded her head, a slight hint of arrogance etched in her voice.

"Oh, nothing much. Just gonna sneak on outta here once I know I'm ready. It doesn't mean I'll be fully healed but an adventurer such as me can't just sit and wait to heal up, ya see. I've been in ruins with arrows in my wing and had to push on, so ya know, this ain't a big deal. Just gonna find a way out and after that...well, I have no clue! I know in two days the new Daring Do novel comes out and I'll be first in line for that. Might even start camping out later tonight, who knows? After I read the book seven or fifty times, I'll probably bounce out of Canterlot and dig around some ruins. The Synergy of the Saxon Staff ALWAYS made me want to find the iris of Immortality! That'd be fun to get but if not that, I can always go back to the desert and canter around some ruins," She blabbered on and on, excitedly leaping to her hooves and defiantly pointing out of a window, posing for several seconds before immediately returning to her laying position.

"What about you, Rainy?"

"Oh, nothing much. Just gonna sneak on outta here once I know I'm ready. It doesn't mean I'll be fully healed but an adventurer such as me can't just sit and wait to heal up, ya see. I've been in ruins with arrows in my wing and had to push on, so ya know, this ain't a big deal. Just gonna find a way out and after that...well, I have no clue! I know in two days the new Daring Do novel comes out and I'll be first in line for that. Might even start camping out later tonight, who knows? After I read the book seven or fifty times, I'll probably bounce out of Canterlot and dig around some ruins. The Synergy of the Saxon Staff ALWAYS made me want to find the iris of Immortality! That'd be fun to get but if not that, I can always go back to the desert and canter around some ruins," The mare made a pose just like a hero straight out of a action novel before falling back into her cot. "What about you, Rainy?"

Rain Leaf just stared blankly at her for a moment before bursting into laughter. It all sounded so absurd. The mare had to be a part of some troupe. His laughter slowly died down to a stop as he looked back at the mare. "Oh wow. You're serious." He quickly brought his hoof up to his mouth hoping that he didn't offend his roomie."Eight days. I am supposed to stay here for eight days. It really sucks. I was supposed to be out in Rapterclaw Canyon today." He lowered his hoof and slowly shook his head. "Instead, I am stuck here. I might not even be able to travel for a couple days or so after I am released!"

He laid his head back and stared at the ceiling for moment. Something mare had said previously popped back into his head. "Wait a second, the Iris of Immorality?" The mare didn't seem to have any interest in plants when he brought them up previously. Why now? He jumped up with excitement. "What interest could you possibly have in it?"

Pathfinder.png

"Oh wow. You're serious. Eight days. I am supposed to stay here for eight days. It really sucks. I was supposed to be out in Raptorclaw Canyon today. Instead, I am stuck here. I might not even be able to travel for a couple days or so after I am released!"

Pathfinder threw both of her hooves swiftly up to her mouth as her irises shrunk to the size of pins. This poor, unfortunate stallion must have been the victim of something far worse than he was letting on for the clutches of Canterlot General to so tightly control him in such a way. And here the poor dear was supposed to be out in Raptorclaw Canyon, which was breathtaking this time of year. She jumped out of her bedm crossed the gap, and hugged Rainy.

"Aww, that's awful! Simply awful! To be cooped up in this hospital room instead of being out there at Raptorclaw Canyon and to be stuck here for eight days...that's awful! Horrible!" Pathfinder said softly into his pelt, stunned at the sheer amount of horror the poor stallion was going through.

"Wait a second, the Iris of Immorality? What interest could you possibly have in it?" Rainy asked, jumping up with excitement that also played out in his voice.

"Well, you know all about the legend, right? They say that millenia ago, there was this prince that was poisoned by his younger brother and was whisked away by his supporters to a hidden temple, where they used all manner of magic to imbue the Iris of Immortality with his spirit. The Iris of Immortality could never be destroyed, and therefore, neither could the Prince's spirit and when a cure was found for his illness, they could bring him back. Now in the book," Pathfinder said as she trotted over to the Saxon Staff and brought it over to Rainy, jumping on his bed and laying next to him, "The younger brother became a warlord-prince and, finding out about his brother being kept alive somewhere, ordered the creation of a powerful staff called the Saxon Staff. It used the very same magic as the one that created the Iris of Immortality and the warlord planned on finding the flower and using them together to give himself immortality and unlimited magical power. Of course, he and his staff vanished en route and no one knows where the staff or the Iris are. Well, that is until I find it, my good stallion," She said, only slightly arrogant as her ears perked up.

The nurses were coming. She leapt off of Rainy's bed and back onto hers, throwing the covers over herself and exaggerating her snoring as she pretended to sleep.

Rain Leaf certainly didn't expect a hug. He feared that he had insulted her with his mocking laughter. Instead, she had sympathy for him. That just made him feel even worse.

"Well, you know all about the legend, right? They say that millenia ago, there was this prince that was poisoned by his younger brother and was whisked away by his supporters to a hidden temple, where they used all manner of magic to imbue the Iris of Immortality with his spirit. The Iris of Immortality could never be destroyed, and therefore, neither could the Prince's spirit and when a cure was found for his illness, they could bring him back. Now in the book," Pathfinder said as she trotted over to her book and brought it back to him, jumping on his bed and laying next to him. He scooted over just a bit to give her more room. "The younger brother became a warlord-prince and, finding out about his brother being kept alive somewhere, ordered the creation of a powerful staff called the Saxon Staff. It used the very same magic as the one that created the Iris of Immortality and the warlord planned on finding the flower and using them together to give himself immortality and unlimited magical power. Of course, he and his staff vanished en route and no one knows where the staff or the Iris are. Well, that is until I find it, my good stallion," she finished.

"Ok, I know about the legend, sure. But are you really tel-." Rain Leaf was cut off by the sound of some nurses that were coming. Pathfinder leaped off of his bed back over to her's where she quickly threw the covers over herself and started to snore, obviously pretending that she was asleep. Rain Leaf just shook his head while one of the nurses entered the room.

"How is everything going for you in here, darling?" asked the nurse. Her contagious smile instantly lifted his spirits and even forced a smile out of him.

"Uh, everything is just great. I could use some good old apple juice, though!" Rain Leaf said, maintaining his bright smile.

"You know I can't do that for you. Not yet. Don't you worry, you'll be able to drink whatever you want in a few days. The doctor just wants to make sure that the toxin is flushed from your system first. That is actually what I came in to talk to you about. She thinks that you should stay at home for a week or two once you are released." The older mare looked at him. Her smile had all but faded. He could tell that she was being sincere.

"Don't worry! I don't plan on doing anything soon." he lied.

"Is she actually asleep?" the nurse asked, taking a few steps towards his roomie's bed.

"Oh yeah! Out like a log! Weird huh? She probably just wore herself out."

"Poor dear." she said with a hint of sympathy in her voice. "Well I am going to let you two rest. We'll bring up some crackers for you in a bit." the nurse turned and exited to room, taking one quick look back at Pathfinder before she did.

Rain Leaf waited for a few moments just to make sure that the nurse was gone before turning towards his roomie. "As I was saying, Pathfinder. What is it about this story that makes you think they even exist? The real Iris. Well, the one that makes you live forever. I mean, it is just a work of fiction, right?" he said. He picked up the book and start flipping through the pages. "The Iris of Immortality. Huh, what a find that would be."

Pathfinder.png

The nurse was awfully nice and Pathfinder felt a twinge of sorrow at having to deceive her in such a manner, but such was the life of an adventure on the edge. Deception and misdirection were as vital tools of the adventuring trade as cord and maps. After a few minutes, the nurse was gone yet Pathfinder found herself still laying down. It would have been highly unfortunate for her to bounce back up and be discovered by the nurse on a return trip.

"As I was saying, Pathfinder. What is it about this story that makes you think they even exist? The real Iris. Well, the one that makes you live forever. I mean, it is just a work of fiction, right? The Iris of Immortality. Huh, what a find that would be," Rainy said with all of the emergent expectations that could be expected.

Pathfinder waited for the confirmation that trhe nurse was truly gone before she roused herself from her bad and then trotted back to Rainy, a dumb, wide grin on her face.

"Well, nopony's really ever tried, right? Everypony just assumes its a legend and it isn't true, but how many times have we found out that there's truth to a legend? It happens all the time! And something like the Iris of Immortality would be amazing if it were true! Not only do you find the flower but there is an awesome legendary staff, an ancient prince, all of that cool stuff. There's truth to every legend and even if only one thing in this legend were true, any one piece alone would be worth the adventure to find it! And what an adventure it'd be, Rainy! No one knows where it is, meaning that whoever finds it would have to piece it all together and find the pieces anyway and geeze louise more than half the fun would be the adventure itself!" Pathfinder said, getting increasingly frantic and excited as she started to piece together how terrifically awesome and exciting the adventure itself would be.

Pathfinder hopped off the bed and strutted towards her bed.

"It's going to be so freakin' awesome! Well, if I decide to do it, that is. It's quite a long-term project since there are no real clues, only a few vague hints to even start. But I'm gonna go look for it, have an awesome and dangerous adventure, and then I'll find it! Huzzah!" Pathfinder said, blasting out the last word far too loudly. A few seconds afterwards, Pathfinder still in pose, the nurse shot her head in.

"Shush! Ponies are trying to sleep!" And with that, the nurse took her head back out. Pathfinder gave an embarrassed smile and rubbed the back opf her neck.

"Hehe, well, after I get out of here, of course."

• 2 weeks later...

Pathfinder waited for a brief moment before hopping off of her bed and trotting over to his. She had an amusing grin on her face. "Well, nopony's really ever tried, right? Everypony just assumes its a legend and it isn't true, but how many times have we found out that there's truth to a legend? It happens all the time! And something like the Iris of Immortality would be amazing if it were true! Not only do you find the flower but there is an awesome legendary staff, an ancient prince, all of that cool stuff. There's truth to every legend and even if only one thing in this legend were true, any one piece alone would be worth the adventure to find it! And what an adventure it'd be, Rainy! No one knows where it is, meaning that whoever finds it would have to piece it all together and find the pieces anyway and geeze louise more than half the fun would be the adventure itself!" The mare said, practically beaming with excitement.

The conversation was exciting to Rain Leaf as well; not because he thought that the mare had a legitimate shot, but because he felt as if he was actually talking to a character out of some old story. It was a unique experience for him. The mare seemed to have it all together, even though Rain Leaf didn’t believe there was anything there in the first place. He could only sit there with a slight smirk of skepticism, listening intently to the mare’s grand scheme.

What an existence that the mare lived; devoting her life to adventure and fortune. It was a lifestyle that many certainly could envy. Even on slow weeks, he might have found himself desiring something more. His life had enough adventure; he just had to remember that.

The mare hopped off his bed and went back to her own. "It's going to be so freakin' awesome! Well, if I decide to do it, that is. It's quite a long-term project since there are no real clues, only a few vague hints to even start. But I'm gonna go look for it, have an awesome and dangerous adventure, and then I'll find it! Huzzah!" Pathfinder said loudly, striking a pose.

The nurse heard her from the hallway and poked her head in. "Shush! Ponies are trying to sleep!" The nurse’s interruption caught Rain Leaf off guard. He quickly pulled his sheets up to his neck, knocking both of the books off his bed onto the tiled floor below.

"Hehe, well, after I get out of here, of course."

“Well you certainly do have an adventure ahead of yourself, Pathfinder. That is if you choose to embark on it, of course.” Rain Leaf said as he put both of the fallen books into a pile and picked them up. “I’ll be back to work soon enough. That is enough adventure for me. Who knows, we might bump into each other again!” He smiled. “If the legend is out there, I am sure that you can find it.” He poked at her ego slightly while legitimately wishing her luck.

He picked up the glass on the stand next to him and drank the last bit of water in it. The water didn’t taste great but it still soothed his parched through. If only they could bring him up a nice cup of cider. He could only dream.

“So, about this escape plan you have concocted…”

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder would have taken some manner of offense at this thought that she may ever not consider an adventure had it not been so laughable a notion. "That is if you choose to embark on it, of course." Bah! Of course she would take the minotaur by the horns and leap at the chance of such an amazing adventure. Added to the fact that Rainy was apparently content with his boring schedule. It wasn't fair to call it boring, since she was sure being a botanist would require some great deeds. After all, poisonous and pony eating plants had to exist and if anypony would have experience with them first-hoof, it'd have to be Rainy, right? Her mind soon filled with images of her brave stallion friend having to escape the clutches of sapient carnivorous plants with a penchant for poaching ponies. It was an entertaining fiction to be lost in when little else was available!

“So, about this escape plan you have concocted…”

Pathfinder giggled as she tossed the covers over her, allowing the clean sheets and comforting warmth they promised ride over her form. After a few seconds of silence, she turned to look over at him. The mare figured that telling him her plan could do little that would send her into a fit since, after all, she was an unstoppable machine of adventure.

"Well at first I was going to do all sorts of crazy things, but then I figured that they're sorta lazy around their shift change, so I'll get a running start, use my one good wing, and slide down the staircase pretty fast and then jet out into the city before security catches me," Pathfinder said, herself completely unenthused with the prospect. It was a bad plan, a boring plan, one conceived just to do it rather than due to its inherent quality. She wished her plans were better, but in the continued absence of good ones, Pathfinder decided to go with the one that promised the most exciting ex-filtration.

"You should break out of here too, you know. Isn't it really boring?"

((Don't worry the Beakbreak story will come soon. I am just waiting for the right time to add it))

"Well at first I was going to do all sorts of crazy things, but then I figured that they're sorta lazy around their shift change, so I'll get a running start, use my one good wing, and slide down the staircase pretty fast and then jet out into the city before security catches me," Pathfinder said. Rain Leaf noticed that she didn't sound very enthusiastic. The "simplicity" of her plan amused him. He quickly started to wonder what other plans the mare could have possibly thought of. He mused at the idea of taking the bed sheets and tying them together into a rope. Would it be long enough? It wouldn't really matter. He was sure that he could just fly out through a window if he really wanted to escape.

"You should break out of here too, you know. Isn't it really boring?"

The mare's question really didn't come as a surprise to him. Somehow, he knew that it was going to come up somehow. He already had his answer as well. "Boring? Sure, it is boring, but I have to stay." he said, looking down at his sheets. He was disappointed with his answer. It seemed so lame. It was the right answer. His stay was being paid by somepony else and he wasn't absolutely sure if the damage cause by the poison had healed. "It's only a few more days anyways. Plus, my sister would go crazy if she were the find out that I broke out of a hospital! Well, no, she would probably laugh hysterically if somepony told her that I, Rain Leaf, broke out of something." he laughed at the mental image of his sister's probable reaction. "It would just be so absurd."

Another thought pushed its way into his head. Pathfinder's hospital bill must be pretty high. There were surely going to be consequences for her actions if she were to run out without paying, especially in Canterlot! "Pathfinder, you know they will probably be after you as long as you stay in the city, right?" Now that he thought about, how times had the mare done this? The bounty on her could be huge! There wasn't anyway that he was going to turn her in; not after what he did in Beakbreak. He still remembered what the kind old griffon from Beakbreak did for him.

He still wondered what will happen to her after she escaped. Crimes in Canterlot didn't go away like they did in cities like Manehattan. She made it this far so she obviously knows what she is doing, possibly. Then again, it woudn't do her any good if she were to stay here if she couldn't pay the bill. There was one thing that he could do to help her. He could pay the bill for her after she escaped. He cringed that the thought of draining his savings just to help a mare that he knew wouldn't repay him. It was better than having her sent to jail and he knew it. He considered it as payment for what the griffon from Beakbreak did for him.

Rain Leaf decided that it would be best to keep his plan to himself. Pathfinder didn't seem like that kind of mare that would accept charity. "Well, you have your escape plan all thought out. Is there anything that I can do to help?"

Pathfinder.png

"Boring? Sure, it is boring, but I have to stay. It's only a few more days anyways. Plus, my sister would go crazy if she were the find out that I broke out of a hospital! Well, no, she would probably laugh hysterically if somepony told her that I, Rain Leaf, broke out of something. It would just be so absurd."

Pathfinder giggled. He was worried about what his sister would think? It was cute in a way and it made Pathfinder wonder if he was in charge of his life of if his sister called the shots. He seemed well-heeled, so either way he was in good hooves. And the thought of somepony like him escaping in this manner was causing some amount of joy in her heart due to the sheer absurdity of it.

"Well, your sister at least has your best interest at heart, I guess. Boring is sometimes the best for other ponies, even if the thought of being bed-ridden for another day drives me up the wall. Still, ya gotta learn to take some risks there Rainy or you'll never get anything done!" Pathfinder laughed as she slid under the covers of her bed, the warmth causing her as much annoyance as it did comfort.

"Pathfinder, you know they will probably be after you as long as you stay in the city, right?"

She knew what he was referring to. That fear drummed into ponies at an early age regarding debt was a fine one to have, seeing as it was intended to stop ponies from taking advantage of others. It was also unfounded. The Equestrian Health Care system wouldn't turn away ponies with health problems no matter the debt, and debt concerns themselves weren't criminal offenses. Well, not initially and as long as you showed some willingness to pay and she had. Of the fifteen hospitals she owed money and the four towns she was indebted to she had made at least one payment. Equestria was a land of love; they weren't going to do anything about her debt unless she laughed in their faces and refused to pay. She didn't have any bits; what were they going to do?

"Oh, Rainy! You need to get sick and hospitalized more often. I already owe like seven hundred bits just to this hospital alone and if I had to tally all my debts...ohhh...maybe like twenty thousand bits out of...twenty-two total? You've gotta try to make payments but Equestria ain't like Germany or Roam. They aren't going to pursue you over something as trivial as bits as long as you try to make payments. I do when I can, but I don't have any bits right now," She said as she fluffed the pillow and laid down on it, sighing contently.

"Well, you have your escape plan all thought out. Is there anything that I can do to help?"

Pathfinder shook her head with a sly smile.

"My friend, if you are planning on sitting this out, then you can continue reading. Dontcha worry, 'cause I know the botanist to call in my adventures!"

• 2 months later...

Well, your sister at least has your best interest at heart, I guess. Boring is sometimes the best for other ponies, even if the thought of being bed-ridden for another day drives me up the wall. Still, ya gotta learn to take some risks there Rainy or you'll never get anything done!"

“Take some risks?” Rain Leaf said with a small chuckle. He repositioned his pillow against the bed frame and pushed himself up a little higher. “Yeah, I’ll keep that in mind next time when I am out and about. Who knows? I might even take a drink of milk without checking to see if it’s fresh. Live life on that edge!” He said with a smile. It’s true; he wasn’t known as an edgy pony, especially within his own family. His sister stole the spotlight and worry. He was thankful of that. He was just a boring young pegasus who picked flowers and weeds. At least, that is what most ponies thought of him; an image that he was content with having.

"Oh, Rainy! You need to get sick and hospitalized more often. I already owe like seven hundred bits just to this hospital alone and if I had to tally all my debts...ohhh...maybe like twenty thousand bits out of...twenty-two total? You've gotta try to make payments but Equestria ain't like Germany or Roam. They aren't going to pursue you over something as trivial as bits as long as you try to make payments. I do when I can, but I don't have any bits right now," Pathfinder said in response to his concerns.

Twenty-two thousand bits! He could barely even comprehend the concept of anypony owing that much. He could understand he reasoning behind the matter, and she seemed to be at peace knowing that she made payments when she was able. She was ready to break out and he was willing to offer what little help he could. There’s no way he would he turn down a part in something as unusual as this.

He raised his brow as she shook her head at his offer.

"My friend, if you are planning on sitting this out, then you can continue reading. Dontcha worry, 'cause I know the botanist to call in my adventures!"

Rain Leaf slumped back down into his sheets. He knew where he stood on the matter. As much as it tempted him, he had to stay. There was plenty of adventure ahead of him and many foolish decisions to make. Plus, he only had to stay for couple more days and he had no reason to leave. He was set. He had received his pay a few minutes before he got himself in this mess. His sister was taking care of his cat. Well, she was supposed to. The only thing that needed attention was his garden, but that could wait until he got home. He couldn’t wait to sleep in his own bed again or to drink whatever he wanted to. What he really wanted was an apple and caramel sandwich and he knew exactly where to go for one when he got out. 'Just a few more days!' It ate away at him slightly but he knew that he had the patience he needed.

Rain Leaf opened up his book and turned the page to where he had left off. “So that’s it then? It all happens tonight?” He shook his head with disappointment. All he was going to be able to do is watch and the only thing he was going to be left with was a story nopony would believe. “It’s going to be pretty boring around here without your crazy stories.” He said, offering her one last smile for good luck before returning to his reading. Nothing Dr. Evergreen could have written would even compare to what was about to transpire, especially the snooze fest that sat in his hooves. Pathfinder was mere hours from her freedom and all he could do was wait.

Pathfinder.png

He had an odd concept of what life on the edge was, this silly botanist. Living life on the edge meant spending the better part of your day wondering whether your next meal would come through the dwindling amount of bits that settled uneasily in your cut pocket or whether you'd have to inspect some odd-looking mushroom for an hour before coming to the realization that whether or not it was going to produce epic hallucinations or not, it was the only edible thing for miles and your stomach didn't have quite the power to resist such temptation. It was the feeling of having a griffon's talons wrapped around your neck and squeezing and knowing that the only thing that stood between you and venomous unconsciousness was your quick wits and coping mechanisms in the following seconds. It was getting wounded and considering it such a fact of life that instead of planning how to avoid next time, you plotted how to better cope, push through, or do the same thing and achieve a different result. Living on the edge was being crazy and Pathfinder doubted Rainy was insane enough to live on the edge.

Of course, his comment had been a joke, a sarcastic quip aimed at himself. She laughed at it, acknowledging the precise comedic timing it required. At least he recognized how silly the comment was, not an ounce of serious intent behind it. A joke. But was it a real joke, like one of those ha ha funny ones, or one to be considered with considerable sadness? Living on the edge was insanity but to an adventurer such as Pathfinder, it was the one true gateway to life's pleasures. Was Rainy joking or was he the joke? It felt awful to consider such a thing but the joke had struck her in a peculiar way. Oh well- different strokes for different pones, she figured. Maybe one day he really would be so cavalier with his milk drinking and his little world would be rocked so hard he'd be moved to epicness.

She made herself comfortable awaiting the coming of sleep and night, but the poor fellow beside her seemed to be itching for a role to play in some way, or at the very least wanting more information. She'd scratch that itch; silence was not something she practiced willingly. Or unwillingly, for that matter- few things could shut her yap-box.

"Yep! Just gotta pass the time until, well, the time is right. Then BAM, I'm out of here like a changeling in Canterlot," She said, eyes glittering with excitement and epic anticipation as she snuggled her pillow like it was the autographed limited edition Daring Do plushy she had. Well, she assumed it felt this good- she wouldn't dare sully such a beautiful, precious thing with her ragged mane. Some things even she considered sacred. Besides, she had a few dozen backups. Pathfinder sighed and buried her head into the well-made bed and dreamed of the reality that was swiftly approaching her. Escape would be easy and the fact that all that laid between her and escape was a simple passage of time-

-It was suddenly dark and her head shot up.

"Wow, that was super easy. I guess you really can will yourself to sleep!" She pondered, pulling herself back up and sitting on her bed. One by one, she started to remove the various hospital equipment that was attached to her or wrapped around a hoof. She pulled off a Velcro hoofband and with a victorious crack, she was free of all encumberments. Thank Celestia clothing came off easily. She stretched her body, making sure to keep her sore and still wrapped wing from feeling the strain of movement. It was not yet time. Well, not yet time to fly.

"Time to break bank and taste freedom."

"Yep! Just gotta pass the time until, well, the time is right. Then BAM, I'm out of here like a changeling in Canterlot," Pathfinder said.

“Yup, you get to go free and I have to stay here for a couple more days.” He chuckled. “I really doubt my next roommate is going to be anywhere near as interesting.” He couldn’t think of how he might spend the next few days whether it was with somepony who is just as boring as him or with no one at all. He had a box full of books but none of them even appealed to him now. All he could think of was whatever crazy adventure the mare was going to set off on; that and how much work was waiting for him when he got out.

He turned the page only to be met with an image of a beautiful violet flower, the Iris of Immortality. He managed to let out a small sigh as he started to day dream. ‘That flower is going to be mine one day. Magical or not, I will find it.’ After a few moments he managed to slip away into his own thoughts, the usual interest he had took over once again. The sun hung lower in the sky now and the traffic outside their room was nearly gone. He could no longer hear the sounds of visiting ponies coming to visit their friends and family. The day had come and gone in boring fashion leaving the two to their own respective thoughts.

Rain Leaf gently woke from his nap; his eyes slowly adjusting to the small amount moonlight shining through the window. He was now on his side facing the window. The blinds were nearly closed leaving only a small opening for the light to creep through. His book was now sitting on the nightstand beside him along with a full glass of water. A nurse must have seen it on the ground when she came to check on them. He didn’t even recall falling asleep with all the excitement from earlier. His eyes shot open. It was now night time! A cracking sound came from the other side of the room. He pushed himself up and turned just in time to see Pathfinder removing the last of the medical equipment that was still attached to her. He wasn’t entirely sure what to say in the current situation.

"Time to break bank and taste freedom." Pathfinder said.

He wasn’t even sure if the mare was aware that he was now awake. “It’s really time, huh?” he said softly. The sound of a sneezing stallion from the room across the hall nearly sent him tumbling off of his bed. His cheeks turned red from embarrassment while he quickly regained his composure. He glanced at the clock and was barely able to make out that it was almost at the half hour mark. “So is it really going to be that easy then? A ‘simple’ slide down the stairs and you’re gone?” It sure didn’t sound simple to him but then again he wasn’t the self-proclaimed adventurer.

Rain Leaf hopped off his bed. His legs nearly buckled due to the fact that he hadn’t been allowed to walk much at all in the last few days. He flared his wings, stretching his flight muscles for a few seconds before retracting them and made his way along the border of his bed. The metallic stand holding various pieces of medical equipment rolled with him as he pulled it along with him to the other side of the bed. “Well, Pathfinder, I guess this is it then, right?” He stuck out his front right hoof. “I wish you the best of luck. Whatever you do, don’t get caught!” he finished with a smirk. “And don’t worry, I didn’t see a thing.”

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder shook her flank for a few standard seconds as she prepared herself for escape. It wasn't a plan of great complexity nor did she foresee the need for her to

display some specialized skill. few things were to be as simple as the jaunt out of this facility, even if in her constantly excited mind it took the form of something

infinitely more dramatic. It was a quirk of hers that she was, at times, somewhat aware of how silly she was. That didn't help her in preventing the oncoming tide of

silliness nor was she particularly concerned with stopping said silliness; unlike others, she believed that silliness was second only to adventuring in the great keys

to happiness. So while she realized, vaguely if nothing more, that this simple walk-out would be nothing more dramatic than any of previous fifteen walk-outs, she

allowed herself to drink from the cup of silliness once more.

That also meant she would continue to indulge for the brief moment that they were destined to be together the faltering imagination of Rainy, who would now be alone

and without the awesome mental stimulus she provided. What sorrow she would feel if she was capable of feeling anything but excitement at the prospect of removing

herself from the hospital. From across the way the sneeze of a stallion shook her hospital buddy up, who reacted none too well and ended up in a decisively noticeable

shade of red. He looked like a bright red tomato if he looked a shade redder than usual! Poor fella couldn't even handle the simpliest of shocks. Now Pathfinder didn't

know who to feel such great pity for, Rainy and his somewhat easily shaken mindset or the sister that had to watch over him apparently and make sure a particularly

scary looking houseplant didn't ambush him! Pathfinder patted him on the head and ruffled his mane like she did the many colts at a convention who marveled at her

look.

"Yeppers peppers! Walk out, slide down railing, walk out. And you don't need to be all conspiritorial about it, silly filly- well, you're not a filly I, I think, but that's just the phrase- because it isn't like they're gonna toss you out on your flank!" She said with a giggle before cracking her back and looking at the door.

"Ciao!" She vanished out the door, only to poke her head back in for a flashing second, "That's how they say bye in Roam! I picked that up at a restaurant called The Itailian Stallion. I think I'll go there next! Maybe spend a few days there, a friend could help me out."

And with that, she was gone. The initial move to the staircase was easy. The floor was relatively abandoned during the shift change, meaning the sound of ringing hooves cantering about went unheeded for a while, more than enough time at least for her to leave. She then approached the staircase and briefly considered it. Silent, just as it should have been, Canterlot's main hospital not under threat from Changelings and little more than the mild cold running through the streets providing anything out of the unusual. Pathfinder perched herself on a rail and slid down nearly soundlessly, popping off at the end and landing on her hooves with a great clank against the floor, the sound of which drew the stares of at least one nurse.

"He-" she started, but Pathfinder was already galloping away. The shock of the mad mare making her escape took a few seconds for the ponies around her to come to grips with and she used that time expertly- by moving as fast as possible! She made one move to avoid a half-committed doctor and the path to the door was clear. Behind her, the sound of six sets of hooves crushing the floor behind her added to the drum beat of heart, the rhythm of life. A medicine cart glowed blue and was reversed into position in front of her, but it proved little more than a fun test. She leaped over it, proving once and for all that Pegasi didn't have weak foal leg muscles, and slammed the door open before running off into Canterlot.

• 1 month later...

[colour=darkgreen]"Yeppers peppers! Walk out, slide down railing, walk out. And you don't need to be all conspiritorial about it, silly filly- well, you're not a filly I, I think, but that's just the phrase- because it isn't like they're gonna toss you out on your flank!" [/colour]Pathfinder said with a giggle.

Rain Leaf rolled his eyes at the mare’s response. [colour=#ff0000]“Right.” [/colour]he said with a huff. He felt so left out although he knew that it was by his own lame choice. His own sister would have leaped at the opportunity to do something like this. Even cousin Torrent would have taken the chance, although he probably wouldn’t have gotten very far. Sometimes, he even wondered how he grew up to be this timid and cautious. He was far more like his uncle than his own father. Honestly, what was the point of all his caution if he was just going to end up in a hospital anyways?

[colour=darkgreen]"Ciao!" [/colour]Pathfinder said before vanishing through the door. She popped her head back in a split second later giving Rain Leaf a small feeling of hope. [colour=darkgreen]"That's how they say bye in Roam! I picked that up at a restaurant called The Itailian Stallion. I think I'll go there next! Maybe spend a few days there; a friend could help me out." [/colour]With that, the mare was gone, leaving Rain Leaf alone in a dark room.

The grey stallion lowered his head with a sigh. The feeling of disappointment had made his heart heavy. The sound of a small commotion came from below. Rain Leaf chuckled and shook his head. It was all over. Pathfinder was off to continue her life of excitement while he was here to continue his normal boring routine. He closed the door and walked back over to his bed. The empty cot across the room caught his attention. It felt like he had been in this room for a month. He had memorized every detail of it even down the chip in the tile to the left of his bed. It seemed empty without the mare. It was empty without the mare.

Rain Leaf jumped onto his bed and fidgeted until he was on his side facing the window. He stared through the crack in the curtains at the rising moon. There was no longer a face there to look back to him; no longer another entity to talk to. No, he was alone with nothing more than his own thoughts. Still exhausted from the lack of solid food in his current diet, he nestled his head into his pillow and let out another deep sigh. Within a few minutes, he was able to slip away into a slumber filled with dreams of freedom and adventure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been four days since the mare had escaped from the hospital. Most of the staff could hardly believe it even happened. There was a small investigation and her roommate was questioned lightly, but other than that, no action was taken. Such a bizarre occurrence but it wasn’t long until the hospital returned to normal.

The only crime Pathfinder could truly be charged with was leaving Rain Leaf with such a bore of a roommate. It wasn’t the stallion’s fault; Rain Leaf just found art to be an incredible bore. He didn’t mind talking about the art itself, no, this stallion insisted upon going deep into every detail in the art book he brought. Every moment he spent talking was a moment Rain Leaf regretted the fact that he stayed. Was this how he sounded to Pathfinder?

It wasn’t all bad, though. Rain Leaf felt his health improving and his muscle pain was completely gone! They were even giving him solid food now. It tasted awful but he didn’t care. Anything was an improvement over six days of carrot soup and water. He envied the fact that his second roommate was released the previous day, but still, the good news that left a smile on his face was the fact that today was his last day in this white cell. He could return to work; against the nurse’s advice of course. He just hoped that his dear Yarrow hadn’t caused too much trouble while he was away. And with that, the final day slowly rolled on in boring fashion.

[colour=#0000ff]“There’s my big brother! Glad to see that the loony mare didn’t take you with her!”[/colour] Silvermist said as she entered the room.

Rain Leaf shot into a sitting position at the sight of his little sister. He was happy to see her. He let out a little chuckle before greeting her. [colour=#ff0000]“Hey, sis, I take it one of the nurses told you what happened?”[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]“Yea, I heard the whole thing. Is it true that she looked just like Daring Doo?”[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]“Yes, she did. It certainly was an interesting experience. I’ll tell you all about it once we get out of here.”[/colour] He said as tossed his covers off and jumped out of bed.

A feigned look of horror formed on Silvermist’s face.[colour=#0000ff] “Oh my! You're all scrawny and feeble looking now! Good to see that you are back to your old self.” [/colour]She said with a smile.

[colour=#ff0000]“Oh you’re making jokes already, eh?”[/colour]

She ran up and gave him a big hug. [colour=#0000ff]“Only for you, big bro. Also, look who decided to drop on by!”[/colour]

Rain Leaf looked past his sister to see a light brown mare standing in the door way. She looked oddly out of place with her rather large sun hat on.

[colour=#8b4513]“I’m glad to see you on your hooves again, Rain Leaf. Work’s been piling up while you have been on vacation.”[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]“What can I say? I needed to see the sights, catch a breath, and recover from a dangerous poison. I’ll hop right on the cactus flowers in a few days, don’t worry, Maple.”[/colour] Rain Leaf said, trying to pry his sister off of him.

[colour=#8b4513]“It isn’t just that. I have had a lot of requests coming in during the last few days. One of them came from Dr. Evergreen himself!”[/colour] Maple turned her attention to Silvermist. [colour=#8b4513]“Hey, Silver, how would you like to make some easy bits? Your brother is going to need somepony to help him out next week.”[/colour]

Rain Leaf’s eyes brightened with glee at the mention of his idol. [colour=#ff0000]“What did he want?”[/colour] he asked, trying to drown out his sister’s groans of protest.

[colour=#8b4513]“Something big. I'll tell you about it later. Now, come on, I already paid for your stay. Let’s get some lunch. My treat. I have Torrent holding a table for us at The Spark of Flavor.”[/colour]

Silvermist jumped at the mention of the restaurant. “[colour=#0000ff]You got a table there? What in Equestria are we still doing here then?!”[/colour] she exclaimed. She grabbed Rain Leaf’s box of books and giddily skipped out of the room.

Rain Leaf giggled at his sister’s antics.[colour=#ff0000] “How did you manage to pull this one off?”[/colour] he asked as he walked over towards the door.

[colour=#8b4513]“Let’s just say I know a colt.”[/colour] Maple responded with a sly wink.[colour=#8b4513] “Now, come on, I want you to tell us all about this crazy mare I have been hearing about.”[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]“It’s a bit of a story, but a good one.”[/colour] He said. With that the two walked out of the room. Rain Leaf stopped for a second and looked back into the empty room. It was just two empty cots now. All the excitement from a few nights ago was gone. Pathfinder was surely long gone by now, off on some crazy adventure. Still, he couldn’t shake the feeling of disappointment from that night. What would he be doing right now if he said yes?

[colour=#8b4513]“Coming, Rain Leaf?”[/colour] inquired Maple from the end of the hallway where she and Silvermist were eagerly waiting.

[colour=#ff0000]“Uh, yeah.”[/colour] Rain Leaf looked into the room one last time and let out a deep sigh before joining his friend and his sister. With that, the three pegasi were on their way, a day full of merriment and leisure ahead of them.

((END OF THREAD))