[Manehatten] The Denouement of Dreams [Open]

Neoniie

As the two other musically-inclined guests and Dunder Blust spoke amongst themselves, Dazzle was focused on the Captain's words. She was truly quite interested in gathering as much knowledge of her future destination as possible. Canterlot was not a place to which one should travel without at least minimal knowledge of the city. Especially not for one much as Dazzle, for whom competition and observation were as much a part of the job as the singing itself. However, she was quite surprised by the appearance of a pink unicorn whose entrance she had not noticed. Falling silent and merely watching the conversation between the two unfold, Dazzle had to admit that even the unfinished advice he had given was quite sound. Scouting sucessfuly require appearing much less accomplished than one truly was, but aiming quite high on the 'celebrity ladder'. Deciding that she would certainly take his advice to heart, Dazzle returned her attention to Fletcher as he announced his leave. "The honour was all mine, Captain Fletcher. May your own travels be just a fortunous," she ended with a bow of the head as the two military ponies exited.

Now with one less table guest, she focused upon the two newest arrivals. The zebra and pegasus were in her element, which made the conversation far easier for her to partake in than the previous one had. The unicorn had personally never visited Marelem, but her parents had always expressed a certain fondness for the place that had rubbed off on their daughter to a degree. "I can't say I've visited either, but my mother had always enjoyed Marelem. Perhaps I should travel there once my visit to Canterlot is concluded." She leaned back as she spoke, feeling much more relaxed around these less formal patrons. It felt more as though she could slip out of her stage persona, though she never really did, even without anypony around her. It had melded to her to a degree, meaning she could only lessen its influence on her behaviour, rather than entirely lapse into her naturally casual way of interaction.

When Dunder stated that he didn't know what a wavi vichwa was, Slick laughed lightly. "Well I can't say it here. Moms would give me a whoopin' for talkin' dirty in front of a lady." He gave a sideling smile to Dazzle.

"And those Canterlot ponies likin' the good ol' Stripe Sound? Heh heh heh, remind them to thank us zebras for all their light and civilized Rock and Roll and sensible Swing. The Blues Stallion was the genesis of machinery making modern music, son."

Dazzle then spoke up about Marelem, and Slick was glad to hear that somepony she had known visited Marelem at some point. "Your moms has got good taste," he said to Dazzle. "Hey, I gots an idea. Try an' force whoeva you meet in Canterlot to visit Marelem with ya. Peeps always get a kick outta Canterlot visitors, and if you manage to find me at a venue, I'll put on a good show for yas. But hey, everypony else'll put on a good show every night they can. You gonna see allota passion up in the 'hood."

Dunder felt left out when Dazzle said her mom was fond of Marelem. It sounded like a good place to visit, escpecially if this zebra was going to be there, he was indeed a very interesting character.

Dunder laughed a bit when the zebra admitted the foreign phrase was a curse in addition to his way of phrasing it. "My mom would whip me if she saw me cursing at all." He said. He missed his mom for a moment, but the zebra continued. Dunder laughed again at the thought of Canterlot ponies thanking zebras for modern music. "Like Canterlot ponies would thank Zebras. Some of them would, others won't. They're probably too good for Zebras anyway." He said in a sarcastic tone. He leaned back in his chair.

He looked back at Slick when he mentioned a show that he would play for the Canterlot ponies in Marelem. "A show? I'd go to one of your shows. You seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to music and that's always good." Dunder said. He would like to go to Marelem and to see a zebra that he knew playing would make it even better.

• 2 weeks later...

The light pink unicorn found herself surprisingly enjoying the much more relaxed turn that the conversation had taken. Their earlier topics and manner of discussion had been much more formal, as she would expect from conversing with a member of the Royal Guard. However, the more relaxed feeling of the talk between the hostess and her guests was not unpleasant in comparison. Though Dazzle did enjoy the finer things in life, she was far from unable to hold a more normal conversation. After all, it was a showmare's job to know her audience.

She did notice the cynicism with which Dunder spoke of the Canterlot ponies. From what the unicorn knew, it wasn't an uncommon perception or an uncommon truth amongst most of Equestria. However, Dazzle had little interaction with the nobility of the Shining City, so she couldn't really vouch one way or the other. Instead, she sipped her drink lightly at listened with interest, knowing that listening could be just as important as contributing in a conversation. Slick's mention of a show in Marelem did prompt a response from her, though, and she couldn't help but find it to be an interesting idea. "I would love to. After all, I haven't really heard much of the zebra's music before. I'm sure it would be quite the experience. And, with Canterlot ponies, I doubt finding a venue would be much trouble. I'll have to look into it, but I'm certain I can work something out." She smiled, returning to her drink after she spoke.

Slick nodded and smiled at the two ponies sitting before him.

"Yeah, all the pubs and dives back home would like an extra customa or two, spread the word 'round. More fo' the local economy, ya know? All the bands'll be into it too, mo' exposure. You'd know where to find me too. Not ta brag, but bruthas and sistas make it a big deal wheneva I'm playin' at a gig. They'd have signs all up and down on the venues like pegasus pox." Slick chuckled to himself.

"Be sure ta see my Mom's Soul band too if ya find yaselves in Marelem. The Celestial Roots is her group," he added. Slick looked to Dazzle.

"When I head back to the 'hood I'll be sure ta let my peeps know about this place and you. You'll mos def get some more zebras up in this joint. They'll make the place jump a'ight." He laughed again, this time a little more mischievously.

• 2 weeks later...

"Hmmm. Sounds like a party. I've never been to a zebra party. Sounds like the kind of party I would like to go to, especially if you'd give me a special pass to one of your shows." Dunder said to Slick. "And I'd be sure to check out all the music I can when I'm there. It's not like I'd be in a hurry. I'll also be sure to ask around to see if any of the musucians know you, Slick. You seem like the kind of po--er, zebra that has established themself already inside of Marelem." He said to the zebra. This zebra was definitely interesting. Meeting more of his kind was something to look forward to.

DazzleDreamsUserBar.png

Dazzle nodded, appreciative of Slick's offer. "Well, I daresay it could use some livening. Perhaps Manehattenites have gotten too used to the daily grind of The Denoument. Adding some spice to the main course wouldn't go amiss." The unicorn chuckled ever so slightly, realizing that the cooking metaphor would sound strange coming from a musician rather than a chef like Dunder. But, it was quite true. The performances and audience lately seemed to have fallen into a repetitive routine, which would not do at all for business, monetary or entertainment. The atmosphere truly could use some fresh air. She made a mental note of the group mentioned by the zebra as well, before motioning over to another of the seemingly abundant hired help. A quick exchange of words followed and he began to clear up the finished meal. Almost simultaneously, another performer took to the stage, which directed the unicorn's attention toward the stage again. It would likely be seen as polite if she, as the owner, didn't show at least a cursory interest in her fellow performers.