Rainbow Dash [Final]

post-72-0-78324600-1330623986.png

Rainbow Dash's the name, going fast's my game! Maybe you hearda me? Awwww, yeah, that's right! Of course you know who I am! Winner of the Best Young Flier's competition, only living pegasus to have ever performed the AMAZING Sonic Rainboom, rescued the Wonderbolts once, and, oh yeah, the filly who helped save the world TWICE! I'm in two stained glass windows in the palace! Yeah, I know, I'm awesome!

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria RP

Name: Rainbow Dash

Sex: Female

Species: Pegasus

Eye Color: Violet Rose ( #B80962 )

Coat Color: Sky Blue

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Rainbow striped - medium-length, rough-cut, and ragged from lack of attention

Physique: Lean and athletic - built for speed, speed, and more speed!

Cutie Mark:

A cloud with a red/yellow/blue lightning bolt striking from it.

The cutie mark represents lightning-fast speed - Dash's special talent - but more importantly, the desire to strike out from the cloud of her childhood, the need to prove herself, to show she is good enough.

Origin/Residence:

Born in Cloudsdale, lives in a cloud house just on the outskirts of Ponyville

Yeah, I was born and raised in Cloudsdale, learned all the ins-and-outs of taking care of the weather, just like my dad! I'm currently the head weather coordinator for Ponyville, which is nice enough, but it's just a temporary gig till I join the Wonderbolts!

Rainbow Dash is the main weather pony for Ponyville. Under normal, lazy, sunny conditions, she takes care keeping the sky clear of the idle clouds. When fending off neighboring cloudsystems or setting up a proper storm, she leads the weather team in their duties.

She's very dedicated to her job - but she really only gives it her full attention when there's something serious to do, a team to lead - something big to challenge her. Only her weather team have ever seen her when she's focused, serious, and determined to do her job and do it well. She's proving herself, against that weather - it's a challenge, and she wants to win, and she knows that she needs everyone's help to do it.

Unfortunately, when she doesn't have a challenge, it's much harder for her to stay focused on her task. Those lazy, sunny days where she's supposed to be cloud-hunting to keep the skies clear, she knows she could start clearing the skies when somepony started to complain and finish her job before they finished their sentence ... but it's not really an *effort*. She brags about it, but it doesn't really feel like a challenge, or anything to be proud about.

Motivation:

post-72-0-12921200-1330865130.jpg

What else? Every day, every week, every month, I'm practicing better and crazier stunts to show off for the Wonderbolts! I mean, I already KNOW I'm awesome, but I need to show THEM that I'm awesome!

Dash really wants to prove herself. It's all-or-nothing for Dash: either she's number one, or she's failling. She's especially susceptible to flattery, and craves those moments when she is praised, making her feel like she's decent - but those moments are few and far between, and she can never convince herself that she's all that special. She has a few friends who seem to think well of her, and she would do anything, absolutely anything, to protect them, and never, ever let them down.

The Wonderbolts, winning, sleeping, the need for speed, The Wonderbolts, praise and recognition, pranks, Tales of Daring Do, The Wonderbolts

Dislikes:

Herself, inactivity, anything that threatens her friends

Character Summary:

All right, you wanna know about me? Well, I always knew I was awesome! Sure, followed after my dad in the weather industry, but it's only a matter of time till the Wonderbolts take me on, y'know? Darn good at it, too! Can clear a sky faster than anyone, and no cowpony can herd clouds the way I do! Lead off the weather teams for my area's Winter Wrap-up, every year. Didn't expect to save the world, but I did that twice, too! Ever see a giant rampaging Manticore, kick a full-sized fire-breathing dragon in the snoot, or jumped over a speeding train? Yeah, I've done *all* of that!

History

post-72-0-78180000-1330625366_thumb.jpg

From a very young age, it was assumed that Rainbow Dash would be a gentle, peaceful pegasus - like rainbows, lovely and peaceful across the sky. She started crawling early, started talking early, her grades in school were almost perfect. She was quiet, reserved, and acted exactly as everyone expected of her - a perfect little angel. Her greatest goal in life was to make momma smile. Her mane was always neatly styled, and she wore a nice bow in it, she bent dilligently over her homework, and she would spend hours staring out the windows at the rainbows her dad spread across the sky. She wanted to make everyone happy, and to be just like the rainbows her parents had named her after.

Her dad would sometimes bring home a little jar full of liquid rainbows for her to play with. He hadn't *technically* been supposed to snag some, but all the workers did. Rainbows were ever so much fun, and cleaned up so easily. Rainbow Dash was delighted at how she could throw the colors across the room, watch them glow brilliantly and peacefully before they faded. She would bound across the room happily, chasing the floating ribbons of color. Her dad would use his greater skill to make little rainbow bubbles, or complicated shapes with the rainbows, and sending them zooming across the room. Rainbow would chase eagerly after them as fast as she could - crashing into the soft cloud wall more often than she caught the colors she loved so much.

Then, one day, she licked a bit of rainbow from her hoof, and steam shot out of her ears. She dunked her head under the water and drank desperately till the burning stopped, and that's when she had the realization that changed her life -

Rainbows weren't peaceful.

Rainbows were *spicy*. And that's when everything she'd learned in weather class started to sink in - rainbows marked the edges of storms and peaceful air, they stood as a warning for places that didn't fit in anywhere else - warning pegasus ponies about that choppy in-between area. They signaled the start or the end of terrible weather. The story of the Sonic Rainboom suddenly leapt out at her with whole new meaning - you didn't make a Sonic Rainboom by being pretty or gentle! You had to be fast and tough!

Dash was a different filly after that. She was very good at going fast - but her control needed work. She found whole new meaning as she started experimenting with going her own way, instead of what everyone expected of her. At first, other ponies were very encouraging - the sight of the quiet, demure pegasus filly charging out onto the playground all tomboyishly, trying to compete with the more athletic ponies, brought great amsuement to others. As time went on, though, the cheerful laughter turned into jibes and taunts. Dash was clumsy, unused to all the physical activity she sought. She wasn't very good at making new friends - but she never forgot the other quiet, peaceful pegasus pony she had been friends with when she was quiet, too: Fluttershy.

Dash's grades suffered. It wasn't that she didn't understand the material - it's just that it was too easy, and she couldn't focus, and her parents could barely get her to stay in place long enough to finish her homework. Dash was no longer content with reading boring, stuffy old textbooks - she wanted to be out there, doing it! She wanted to get her hooves in the clouds, and really accomplish something other than scribbling forever over dry old questions.

And everypony seemed so ... upset with her. She was torn, now - everyone had approved of her when she'd been everything they'd expected. Part of her wanted to return to her old life ... and part of her wanted to be the fierce and dangerous rainbow! But if everyone was always making fun of her ... calling her by that hateful jibe, "Rainbow Crash," and jeering at her mistakes. She missed the days when everyone was nice to her, and was on the verge of turning her back on her new life, and returning to be the scholar, the quiet and pretty Rainbow for everypony to admire.

Cutie Mark Story

post-72-0-25242300-1330865369.jpg

Rainbow Dash saw her old friend, Fluttershy, being teased by the same bullies who teased Dash all the time - and for Fluttershy's sake and her own, Dash stepped forward to stand up for her. In the race that followed came her realization - she didn't just like going fast, rough, and tumble - she liked to *win*. She liked a challenge. She liked standing up to the ponies who told her who she was, and proving that she could do it her own way! This was the moment that she decided that it didn't matter if everypony was always making fun of her, if nopony believed in her, if everypony thought she should be one way or another ... she was going to do things her own way, and be herself, and win out over all the neigh-sayers!

Of course, it took years before she could figure out how to say it that way - at that time, all she knew was that she liked to win.

Personality

Despite her realization and new determination to be herself, she wasn't immune to the mocking of her classmates. In fact, as time went on, it was only sheer stubbornness that kept her on her path, a refusal to admit she was wrong, even if everything seemed to show that being herself meant being something that sucked. She knew she was awesome, it's just that it got lost in the flood of mockery - a mockery that multiplied when she let it repeat itself to her in her own head. She knew she needed to believe in herself, so every time she heard another foal - or her own brain - tell her that she sucked, she just repeated, over and over again, "I am awesome." She makes sure to list her successes to herself, and to everyone else, to keep her spirits up and remind herself that she's worthwhile, and that she can win - because she's won so many times before, already.

Even as such, every time someone challenges her to prove her words, she gets a faint bout of nervousnesses. Will she win this time? But she just keeps repeating to herself, "I am awesome," and presenting a confident front to the world - even when she can't seem to get through a month without her friends needing to show her, yet again, how she's been screwing up and needs to learn yet another lesson.

The one and only thing she truly believes she's good at is flying fast - because she has incontrovertiable proof to that fact. She really *is* the best at it, and nopony better!

Flaws

post-72-0-52647000-1330624011.jpg

Rainbow Dash does EVERYTHING fast. She flies fast, she reads fast, she learns fast, she heals fast, she takes quick naps ... but she has no control or reflection. She crashes a lot - but this makes her durable. She falters a lot - but this makes her stubborn.

She finds it hard to focus on things that aren't a challenge - reading, studying, walking, normal exercise, all of these things are dull and repetitive and pose no challenge, so she simply can't make herself believe in them... and except for her physical speed, all the things she seems so good at are so easy to her that it is hard for her to believe that they're actually valuable, no matter how much she repeats it to herself - unless others tell her how awesome she is. Dash is especially susceptible to flattery - it makes her feel invincible for a short time.

Finally, she's headstrong. Given a solution, Dash sees exactly one way through - up the center, to headbutt whatever's in the way till she either knocks herself out or breaks it down.

post-72-0-87246000-1330624001_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would cut out the part where she needed to visit therapists and needed therapy and give her back at least some confidence in herself. Yeah she can fear failure and struggle with the fear of rejection, but she still has real ego and bravado. If the applciation is tweeked this way it will be stronger, trust me.

I really like your mane.... I mean app! I look forward to seeing the final version of this.

*brushes her hoof through her mane* it is pretty rad, isn't it? Go on, go on!

I would cut out the part where she needed to visit therapists and needed therapy and give her back at least some confidence in herself. Yeah she can fear failure and struggle with the fear of rejection, but she still has real ego and bravado. If the applciation is tweeked this way it will be stronger, trust me.

Ah, good idea. I've tweaked that a bit, let me know if that's any better!

This application's gone from 'good' to 'excellent' with each iteration of improvements you've made. I definitely like how you've given her some amount of conflict with her youth without having it necessarily being 'external' to the character, and how you've put her alacrity as both a benefit and a malus to her life.

Honestly, this is a very solid application, and I cannot think of any way to improve upon it. You have both my congratulations on a piece of writing well-done and my sincere hopes that you manage to get the part!

...WHOADANG!

Grats, bramble! I guess by 'tomorrow' I meant 'the next ten minutes'. Still, seriously, this is a deserved win and I hope you aren't too flooded by requests for Dash's appearance! Have fun with her!