Your FIRST Anime

So, I thought this topic already existed, but I guess not so here it is. What is the first Anime you ever watched?

Alright, so before anyone asks, what counts as first? I don't personally know, but I'll give you my personal History on the manner and let you draw your own conclusions.

I had one friend who was into Inuyasha, back when it used to play on Cartoon Network. Now, at that time, I wasn't technically allowed to watch it, but she liked it and it was her house, so I didn't have large amount of say in the matter. So ya, I did see a couple episodes or a couple pieces of episodes, I don't know it was like five or so years ago.

However, sometime after that I started to get in with a different crowd, who was ever more so into Anime. By that time, I had reached the age of eighteen and could watch pretty much whatever I wanted. I started dabbling in Anime, and a friend had me watch D.N.Angel. Now, I had (or maybe this occurred sometime after) seen a little bit of an Anime that I couldn't identify while I passed by her house one day. I didn't end up staying long though, and it wasn't until later I found out it was Ouran High School Host Club.

Now, about D.N.Angel. This friend I guess liked subs... so while I was trying to follow what was going on, I was kinda too busy reading the dialogue. I felt a bit stretched trying to take it all in, so I didn't get passed more than a few episodes.

Then I saw the first disc (or maybe first two discs) of the Anime Wolf's Rain sitting on her shelf. I asked about it and decided it sounded and looked interesting enough to borrow. However, there were only the first 5-10 episodes included, but I had been intrigued and hooked by it. YouTube had the episodes up at that time, so I got to finish it there since my friend didn't have the rest of the series.

So I would count that as my first Anime. It's the first one I sat down and enjoyed, and also finished.

However, upon watching The Nostalgia Critics review of Felix the Cat - The Movie, I was reminded of when the red glowing yellow ends eyebrow bird things had given me a nightmare. Around that time, my family was in the process of packing up and moving to a different state... so we were downsizing and leaving some things behind. That movie was one of them, along with another which I could only remember had GiGi in the title... who was obviously the main character.

Thanks to Google, I found the Wikipedia page for Magical Princess Minky Momo, who had a similar look to GiGi if I could recall right. Upon a further search, I found an image of the cover, and thus, the full title:

51HWRCMGG5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

'The Magical Princess Gigi'

And then it kind of hit me: Holy cow that was my first Anime. It was an animation that came from Japan that I watched as a child. This thing was like pre-Sailor Moon. So... I dunno, it kind of makes me happy a little bit because I did watch an early Anime even though I couldn't watch Sailor Moon or Pokémon (or even Cowboy Bebop). My first Anime is from the 90's, not 2004! :)

Now that I've got that story out of the way, shoot with your first Anime and how you discovered it in general or whatever.

Also, that Gigi movie is on YouTube, in English or Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLEJfV3jtkE

mm, tough. I watched a fair bit of anime on youtube before I knew what it was.

I watched a couple episodes of pokemon, but after mom saw how violent it was, I wasn't allowed to watch it anymore.

after that, I tried watching card captors, but once again mom didn't like me watching it. I found the story so interesting that I got up early to watch it before my parents woke up (and this was from a kid who was terrified of doing something wrong-- moreso than I am today XD I felt so guilty watching it).

years later, I was finally let loose on the internet. my next anime would either be PPGZ or the animal crossing movie (I think I found them around the same time)

my first anime after I knew what anime was? ah, I'm not 100% certain, but I think it was either the subbed version of card captors or lucky star. never got into anime really :\ I'm more of a manga person. my first manga was definitely yotsuba.

I know for certain that my first exposure to anime was Sailor Moon, which I watched on and off again when it was brought to my country. After that, I really got into Dragonball, which was all the rage among my age bracket back then.

I pretty much soaked up anything that was aired in the afternoon timeslot on television. I do remember destinctly that I watched all of Record of Lodoss War, while being totally too young for it to understand what it was about. And I also remember that it got aired completely out of order. XD

I remember watching episodes of old anime stuff like Speed Racer in the days before Toonami, though I didn't follow any of it regularly.

Dragon Ball Z was probably the first thing I regularly tuned into and followed.

I didn't really become hugely into anime until 2001, after Outlaw Star and then more importantly, Cowboy Bebop, showed on Toonami and Adult Swim respectively.

This (technically they were considered the same series)

Then Sailor Moon when I was 4

And of course Pokemon, Digimon and Cardcaptors were early ones too, I also watched the original Dragon Ball series (the one that resembles Journey to the West)

There's also one that ran when I was 8 and 9 that I really loved, Flint the time Detective that's the one that made me want to go into animation

Saint Seiya on its full violent glory since when i was 4, i turned out fine, thanks.

i had some of a grey area when i was 10 through 13~14 since there werent really any means to watch any quality anime besides DB/DBZ here (remember im from Colombia.... and pokemon as an anime has always been crap and you know it) but i got to see some stuff later on the anime frame of a channel named Locomotion, including NGE and most of Cowboy Bebop, then Locomotion turned to full anime when i was 16 showing Hellsing and FMA among others, fan since then.

edit: oh wait, Digimon and Shaman King have been part of my life since i was like 8 or 9, cant remember

Eugh... can't rememeber. I remember watching DBZ as a kid, but was never interested in it. So I guess Sailor Moon. Or... if your talking about animes that I got into... than around a year ago, my first anime was Azumanga Daioh. Cute show.

Than I watched some more slice of lifes, including Chii's Sweet Home and I'm still trying to work up the courage to watch Black Butler...

Where to begin...

Well, I was about 6 or 7 when I first started following Dragonball Z on Toonami. I suppose that could be my "first anime" since it's the only thing I can recall watching regularly, and was produced originally in Japan.

However, I never really followed Naruto, Bleach, Sailor Moon, or any of those. I watched Zach Bell, and Pokemon, but not the new Pokemon. Most of my "primetime" for anime was when I was about 9-11.

However, I watched a lot of anime movies, that iddn't follow a sieres (at least, to my knowledge) like Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and a lot of other Hiyo Miyazaki works.

Just a few months ago, I watched all of Elfen Lied on Youtube in 720p. The Anime is great, and I recommend you all watch it. However, it's VERY GORY and a lto of naked scenes.

I classified it as a hardore gore / softcore hentai, really. It's NOT all about breasts, but they don't 'censor" any scenes where one would be naked. (Coming out of a shower, as an example.)

Also, if any of you don't speak Japanese...I RECOMMEND LEARNING IT! I had been learning Japenese over the Summer last year, and am still now. Watching animes without subtitles or (mostly) terrible English dubs REALLY gives a lot more immersion. Learning how to read and write Japanese now.

I watched all of Elfen Lied on Youtube in 720p. The Anime is great, and I recommend you all watch it. However, it's VERY GORY and a lto of naked scenes.

I classified it as a hardore gore / softcore hentai, really. It's NOT all about breasts, but they don't 'censor" any scenes where one would be naked. (Coming out of a shower, as an example.)

I saw Elfen Lied recently, too, and...yeeeeeeeeeeah. :-|

I think it's most (in)famous for its opening scene. And what an opening scene it is...

Also, if any of you don't speak Japanese...I RECOMMEND LEARNING IT! I had been learning Japenese over the Summer last year, and am still now. Watching animes without subtitles or (mostly) terrible English dubs REALLY gives a lot more immersion. Learning how to read and write Japanese now.

I really enjoyed learning Japanese. It was the most fun of the three languages I tried. Also the one I got the most mileage out of, even before considering anime and manga.

When a Japanese friend told me that he watched anime back in 2002, my response was to download the first anime that I found to check it out. A google search lead me to, of all things, Stelvia of the Universe. I watched two episode of it. Fortunately, I didn't give up on anime with that experience.

My very first anime?

I have two anime that I remember seeing when I was a kid. And I mean kid as in 3-4 years old, so 24 years ago or so.

The first one was Astro Boy, the 1980 remake. It was my gateway anime to things like Gundam, RoboTech, etc.

The second anime though... is a mystery. I cannot, for the best of me, remember what the name was. It was about a man dressed in all white who wore a cape and rode around on a white motorcycle. His emblem was a yellow crecent moon and he threw crecent moon shaped projectiles at his enemies, kind of like "batarangs" for Batman. His enemies though, were an alien species trying to destroy and enslave humans. The monsters he fought were almost always humans mutated and twisted by the aliens. Also, from what I can remember, the animation was something similar to a late 70's style of anime.

Does ANY pony know what this anime was called?

The second anime though... is a mystery. I cannot, for the best of me, remember what the name was. It was about a man dressed in all white who wore a cape and rode around on a white motorcycle. His emblem was a yellow crecent moon and he threw crecent moon shaped projectiles at his enemies, kind of like "batarangs" for Batman. His enemies though, were an alien species trying to destroy and enslave humans. The monsters he fought were almost always humans mutated and twisted by the aliens. Also, from what I can remember, the animation was something similar to a late 70's style of anime.

Lord Wikipedia says (found it since i know the spanish name :P)

Moonlight Mask (月光仮面 Gekkō Kamen?) is a fictional superhero that has appeared in Japanese tokusatsu and anime television shows and movies since his TV debut in 1958. Created by writer Kōhan Kawauchi, Moonlight Mask is best described as Japan's answer to The Lone Ranger and Batman.

(...)

The 1972 anime series

The anime adaptation Seigi wo Ai Suru Mono - Gekkō Kamen (正義を愛する者 - 月光仮面), translated as The One Who Loves Justice: Moonlight Mask, was produced by Knack, and aired on Nippon Television from January 10, 1972 to October 2, 1972, with a total of 39 episodes (divided into three segments). The show also became very popular in Latin America under the title Centella (Fang Note: spanish for Sparkle.... no, really) . Japanese voice actor Michihiro Ikemizu provided the voice of Jūrō Iwai/Moonlight Mask.

Lord Wikipedia says (found it since i know the spanish name :P)

Moonlight Mask (月光仮面 Gekkō Kamen?) is a fictional superhero that has appeared in Japanese tokusatsu and anime television shows and movies since his TV debut in 1958. Created by writer Kōhan Kawauchi, Moonlight Mask is best described as Japan's answer to The Lone Ranger and Batman.

(...)

The 1972 anime series

The anime adaptation Seigi wo Ai Suru Mono - Gekkō Kamen (正義を愛する者 - 月光仮面), translated as The One Who Loves Justice: Moonlight Mask, was produced by Knack, and aired on Nippon Television from January 10, 1972 to October 2, 1972, with a total of 39 episodes (divided into three segments). The show also became very popular in Latin America under the title Centella (Fang Note: spanish for Sparkle.... no, really) . Japanese voice actor Michihiro Ikemizu provided the voice of Jūrō Iwai/Moonlight Mask.

How the...

Sweet Celestia that's it! Well... and here I've been trying for ever to remember the name and all it took was one day. Should had thought of this sooner :blah: