Your FIRST Anime

Even though I stopped watching it last year the very first anime I ever saw was Pokemon. I used to be really really interested in that show I had all the video games, several toys and all the movies. I didn't decide to watch my favorite anime of all time Dragon Ball Z until 2002 when Budokai 1 come out. I also really used to like all Yu-gi-oh! shows except for Zexal. Anyway Bakugan, Beyblade, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Dragon Ball GT, Naruto, Naruto Shippuden and Sailor Moon are the anime shows that I watch. I used to be into Bleach until last year oh well.

Whenever this kind of discussion pops up in real life among people in my age group I think, "What is everyone talking about? We all know everyone's first anime was Pokemon!"

Because honesty, I think Pokemon was the catalyst that launched the interest of anime for kids my age, which made the genre pick up in popularity and soon Kids WB and Fox Kids were dominated by Japanese cartoons. The rest is history.

Now, if we're talking the first "non-saturday morning" type anime I watched, it was probably Cowboy Bebop along with the rest of the old Toonami lineup. But Cowboy Bebop sticks out the most for me. :)

There's also the Kimba the White Lion videotapes I rented from the local video store when I was little. And I'm pretty sure Inspector Gadget was made in Japan. Did you know The Brave Little Toaster is half-Taiwanese? xD

Whenever this kind of discussion pops up in real life among people in my age group I think, "What is everyone talking about? We all know everyone's first anime was Pokemon!"

Because honesty, I think Pokemon was the catalyst that launched the interest of anime for kids my age, which made the genre pick up in popularity and soon Kids WB and Fox Kids were dominated by Japanese cartoons. The rest is history.

Now, if we're talking the first "non-saturday morning" type anime I watched, it was probably Cowboy Bebop along with the rest of the old Toonami lineup. But Cowboy Bebop sticks out the most for me. :)

There's also the Kimba the White Lion videotapes I rented from the local video store when I was little. And I'm pretty sure Inspector Gadget was made in Japan. Did you know The Brave Little Toaster is half-Taiwanese? xD

Cool story I liked it.

I watched Shaman King every Saturday morning when I was like...six. :P And I watched a lot of Pokemon. And Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service and things of the like, movies like that.

The first anime I watched when I actually knew what anime was was Naruto, and Inuyasha and Bleach shortly after.

I watched Shaman King every Saturday morning when I was like...six. :P And I watched a lot of Pokemon. And Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service and things of the like, movies like that.

The first anime I watched when I actually knew what anime was was Naruto, and Inuyasha and Bleach shortly after.

Ok I used to like Shaman King too but I didn't know that that Beyblade, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-gi-oh! or Pokemon was anime until either 2003 or 2004.

Ok I used to like Shaman King too but I didn't know that that Beyblade, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-gi-oh! or Pokemon was anime until either 2003 or 2004.

Ooohhh, forgot about DBZ. I watched that all the time too...and Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade as well... I forget lots of things like that, because I didn't think of them as anime until later.

Freaking loved DBZ though. :P

Ooohhh, forgot about DBZ. I watched that all the time too...and Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade as well... I forget lots of things like that, because I didn't think of them as anime until later.

Freaking loved DBZ though. :P

I still watch Beyblade, DBZ, DBGT, Yu Yu Hakusho and Sailor Moon plus I also like Naruto, Naruto Shippuden and Bakugan is awesome too. p.s. I don't like Yu-gi-oh! or Pokemon anymore.

Well, the first animes I watched were probably the Yugioh and Pokemon snippits I caught on television when I was younger. My little brother was far too small to be interested in anything with a continuous storyline, and whined whenever I played them (usually until I changed it to something like spongebob in annoyance). :/

The first anime I was passionate enough about to go the extra mile and watch online was Avatar: The Last Airbender, and even now I'll watch it when I catch it on; it's a terrific show!

Well, the first animes I watched were probably the Yugioh and Pokemon snippits I caught on television when I was younger. My little brother was far too small to be interested in anything with a continuous storyline, and whined whenever I played them (usually until I changed it to something like spongebob in annoyance). :/

The first anime I was passionate enough about to go the extra mile and watch online was Avatar: The Last Airbender, and even now I'll watch it when I catch it on; it's a terrific show!

Actually 2 days ago I found out that Avatar The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra aren't anime because they weren't made in Japan.

My friends and I were talking about all the old shows and pulling up clips. They truly were ridiculous, some of them!

Digimon, Pokemon, Shaman King, YuGiOh, Monster Rancher, Medabots, Beyblade, Flint the Time Detective, Fighting Foodons, Bobobo, Ultimate Muscle...and I know these aren't anime but remember Reboot and Cubix: Robots for Everyone? God, so incredibly ridiculous! xD

My friends and I were talking about all the old shows and pulling up clips. They truly were ridiculous, some of them!

Digimon, Pokemon, Shaman King, YuGiOh, Monster Rancher, Medabots, Beyblade, Flint the Time Detective, Fighting Foodons, Bobobo, Ultimate Muscle...and I know these aren't anime but remember Reboot and Cubix: Robots for Everyone? God, so incredibly ridiculous! xD

Oh man how did I forget about Ultimate Muscle I used to really really like that show especially since I love both wrestling and comedy that makes me LOL which Ultimate Muscle did. P.S. remember Galactic Wrestling Featuring Ultimate Muscle that game was awesome. :kissy::)

I still watch Beyblade, DBZ, DBGT, Yu Yu Hakusho and Sailor Moon plus I also like Naruto, Naruto Shippuden and Bakugan is awesome too. p.s. I don't like Yu-gi-oh! or Pokemon anymore.

I still watch DBZ, but I read most of the others. I was sooo mad when they cut Yu Yu Hakusho out of Shonen Jump... I loved that manga. I have a giant Bakugan blanket that I sleep with. xD It's super fuzzy. *dork* :P

Never watched Sailor Moon. I never liked...'girly' stuff, for lack of a better word. Too predictable, too many Mary Sues.

Then you should check out Princess Tutu. That's a really great girl-themed anime with no Mary Sues at all.

I think my boyfriend likes that... Maybe I'll check it out sometime. :D

I still watch DBZ, but I read most of the others. I was sooo mad when they cut Yu Yu Hakusho out of Shonen Jump... I loved that manga. I have a giant Bakugan blanket that I sleep with. xD It's super fuzzy. *dork* :P

Never watched Sailor Moon. I never liked...'girly' stuff, for lack of a better word. Too predictable, too many Mary Sues.

Minus the whole Mary Sue thing though most people thought that My Little Pony before Friendship is Magic was girly, stupid and boring.

Minus the whole Mary Sue thing though most people thought that My Little Pony before Friendship is Magic was girly, stupid and boring.

Which is why I didn't like it then. xD I didn't jump on the MLP thing till FiM. :)

Never heard of it.

That's because it's pretty old 1989 (Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma) incredible amount of blood and gore. I remember my first movie I watched, it was Interview with a Vampire. I was 3 years old. My first question was, why is the sunlight burning them? I was 3 years old... give me a break, I didn't know what a vampire was.

Of course I forgot I had even seen the movie until I bought it when I was 18. And then when that one scene with claudia burning in the sunlight I was like... OH MY GAAAAAWD I'VE SEEN THIS BEFORE!

In fact you could say that it was because I distinctly remember not being able to understand the concept of sunlight setting people on fire, that I remembered it so vaguely.

That's because it's pretty old 1989 (Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma) incredible amount of blood and gore. I remember my first movie I watched, it was Interview with a Vampire. I was 3 years old. My first question was, why is the sunlight burning them? I was 3 years old... give me a break, I didn't know what a vampire was.

Of course I forgot I had even seen the movie until I bought it when I was 18. And then when that one scene with claudia burning in the sunlight I was like... OH MY GAAAAAWD I'VE SEEN THIS BEFORE!

In fact you could say that it was because I distinctly remember not being able to understand the concept of sunlight setting people on fire, that I remembered it so vaguely.

Huh ok

• 2 months later...

[colour=#800080]My first anime was "Kiki's Delivery Service". My BBBFF used to take me to his conventions. (To this day, I don't think he realizes that I always knew I was his "Chick Magnet"!) I don't remember what the con was called, but they had a special showing of Kiki, and I was completely captivated by it! When it finally came out on Video in the United Satates, I got a copy on VHS. I now own the DVD. It's still one of my all time favorite animated films![/colour]

• 4 weeks later...

Wow I saw the posts on the first page and thought to my self holy cow that screen shot is samurai pizza cats. I had a friend in junior high that showed me that. The first shows I followed were dragon ball and anything that ws ever shown on ytv in canada. After that anything I could rent from the video store.

First anime eh? I'd have to say Ronin Warriors

250px-Ronninwarriorsdvd1.jpg

Even if they did reuse some fighting scenes here and there, I still loved it! This thread is hitting me hard with the nostalgia, especially Sailor Moon and DBZ. Well, if you'll excuse me, I've got some animu to download :geek: