Your FIRST Anime

Very first anime without knowing it was from Japan? Maya the Bee, when they had it on Nick Jr. waaaaaaay back in the early 90's.

Then of course Sailor Moon and Pokemon, and then I delved into the wondrous world of anime fully when I started watching Cowboy Bebop.

My god I thought I was the only one who remembered Maya the bee!

But as for my first Anime, it has to be just about every show from the 80s XD Voltron, Maya, Fairy Tales, you name it. Seen it all and its so dear to my heart!

• 2 weeks later...

That is a very hard Question to think about but it would have to be Eather Pokemon, Gigantor, astro boy, or speed Racer the first Anime that actually destroyed my sleeping habits would be Gurren lagann

It's a hard question, for I can't remember what was first.

Without knowing would be either Maya or Moomin for I was six or seven years at a time. Then was Sailor Moon and DB.

However the one watched with full knowledge would be Gundam Wing.

It's a hard question, for I can't remember what was first.

Without knowing would be either Maya or Moomin for I was six or seven years at a time. Then was Sailor Moon and DB.

However the one watched with full knowledge would be Gundam Wing.

Maya I could live without, but I am SO jealous that I did not grow up with the Moomins. I only really looked into them as an adult, because the first time I saw any of their books I was already jaded and too cool for school and didn't want to read about "Stupid Hippos". They would have changed my life at 7, though. I am trying to rectify this shortcoming in my niece and nephew.

Holy crap did Kindergarten!Scotch LOVE Belle and Sebastian! The Little Prince was OK too, but Belle and Sebastian stuck with me forever and was my first "I know this is made in Japan, and cheaply at that, and I am missing something in translation and wasn't originally in English, but I still love it". (I had the benefit of a young mother who loved Kimba and Speed Racer as a kid who explained it to me though.)

And I watched this on my 6th Birthday (long sad story about how I was made to stop watching it and go to school, only to find out that school was closed because it was election day and then when I came home it was over and since it was satellite in the 80s meaning one giant dish that had to be pointed at satellites, there was no TV guide for it at the time and then it took me 18 years of obsessing to figure out WTF it was. SADFACE :-( :-( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y5XFTc7aXc

i own it now. It's very pretty but kind of annoying, especially Bibble.

And I weirdly somehow watched a lot of Captain Harlock related stuff, That HORRIBLE brutilization of Naussica that even at 6 i thought was a load of confusing crap, and of course Voltron, G-Force and Speed Racer. But I didn't love or obsess over these like I did Belle and Sebastian and the Sea Prince and the Fire Child. I watched them because they were on. We got some weird stations on that satellite dish, and only had it for a year and a half before a time of no television until I was almost 9, so it was compressed and deeply embedded and pretty much guided my childhood tastes after that.

This is probably why the only anime I really watch now has the kind of classic look, like Miyazaki's stuff. It was pretty deeply ingrained in me because that's pretty much the only look that was around growing up.

I HATED Monchhichi though. H A T E D. You have no idea how much. From the very first time I saw it. So of course my parents got me a Monchhichi doll. Because they were jerks like that. But I guess that doesn't ENTIRELY count since I am fairly sure it was Hanna Barberra produced.

And I watched this on my 6th Birthday (long sad story about how I was made to stop watching it and go to school, only to find out that school was closed because it was election day and then when I came home it was over and since it was satellite in the 80s meaning one giant dish that had to be pointed at satellites, there was no TV guide for it at the time and then it took me 18 years of obsessing to figure out WTF it was. SADFACE :-( :-( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y5XFTc7aXc

i own it now. It's very pretty but kind of annoying, especially Bibble.

Was this the predecessor to Shark Boy and Lava Girl?

Was this the predecessor to Shark Boy and Lava Girl?

Oh, yes, Tales, didn't you know? It was a franchise that started in the early 80s.

Nah, Sea Prince and the Fire Child (it's also called the Legend of Sirius) is a Sanrio-produced loose, weird retelling of Romeo and Juliet, with elements of the Little Mermaid (even though it was released before that), and some visual elements that would have been at home in Fantasia. It's pretty, but it's kind of a mess. Maybe it's the translation/dubbing that makes it so weird and I am missing something. But the dubbing is clearly using the same folks who did The Adventures of Unico (and as much as I liked unicorns, Unico was way WAY too saccharine for me).

1286481888_4.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

definitely pokemon. Once my older cousin came over when I was five and popped it in the vcr and I was instantly brainwashed by the pretty flashy lights @_@

then their was DBZ in second grade and then after that I didnt watch any anime for a LONG time. around 15 I started watching DBZ again.

Still never really got super into it like a lot of the nerd community. Kept up with some of the first season of naruto when it was on toonami, and recently started watching tri-gun. Not the greatest anime but the silliness keeps me entertained

• 4 weeks later...

First I read through or first I actually watched? I read through the annotated script for Sonic Anime (the original, not SonicX, though I have seen part of that too), the first I actually watched was the MOVIE of Escaflowne, or the series of Neon Genesis Evangelion (heck of an anime to start off with, eh? lol) After NGE I watched the SERIES Vision of Escaflowne (never finished it, sadly... really need to start that one over sometime...)

I was born the year pokemon came out, so I was raised on it by birth. Then Digimon, then (sadly) naruto). Then I progressed into actually searching for shows online, which is where I found soul eater, Kamen No Maid Guy, Negima, A huge a depressingly long list of ecchis (I blame puberty), and a few other random's. I'm currently obsessed with One Piece!

I don't exactly remember, but I think my first anime was either My Neighbor Totoro, or Unico.

Both are amazingly cute and pretty darn well written!

Totoro? I LOVE YOU. XD JK, but really, I have a totoro pencil holder. Any Studio Ghibli productions like that, Grave of the Fireflies, or Howl's Moving Castle, are in my book of #1 animes.

Hey all- it's interesting to note that so many MLP fans are also anime fans. I wonder if there's something to this crossover in likes, similarities/differences between MLP and anime, and bronies and otakus (not sure if that's right, that the plural of "otaku" is "otakus").

My first was Pokemon, the original in the 90's. I then played the Red and Blue games, some of the Yellow- that one was owned by my sister. I haven't really followed the show since G1, but I played Silver and Gold, so I got some familiarity with the post-150 pokemon, but not much. Then I watched some CardCaptors, that was kind of cool. Eventually I joined anime club while in college, which definitely opened up my exposure to anime. Got introduced to Samurai Champloo (not sure of the spelling), Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist, and others- faves are Ah My Goddess and Death Note. Very different animes but both are awesome.

Not too sure what my first anime was, it was either the original Dragonball, Sailor Moon, or Robotech. After that I hit the pretty much same shows as every one else (pokemon, yugioh, digimon, dragonball z, and all of the toonami weekday goodness). My first anime movie though I'm pretty sure was Kiki's Delivery Service, such a nice and cute story. :)

BTW, if you watched the original Transformers cartoon, that counts too. Toei Animation, the studio behind Dragonball, did some of the "cleanup" on the show itself, and the entirety of the original movie.

I never watched much TV as a kid. Well, that's not entirely true. I watched a lot of Discovery Channel documentaries and stuff, but I rarely watched what everypony else my age was watching. It didn't help that, despite the fact that I had cable, Cartoon Network didn't supply to my area until I was older.

Anyway, my first anime would be Digimon Adventures. Though, like a lot of others, I didn't really think of it as anime at the time. I still love Digimon, especially the games. Not too fond of the series from Frontier on, but I loved Adventures 01-02 and Tamers. :geek:

I really, really love Pokémon, but boy do I hate the anime. :scream: I kept wanting to like it, because I love the games so much, but I just couldn't do it.