Friends New and Old (Phil the Time Wizard and ShadowStorm88)

It had been a day like any other for cheery Canterlot University Student Dazzle Dawn. She had woken up early, visited her favorite coffee shop, had her favorite tasty sweet coffee drink, went to all her classes, eaten her lunch and then left for her stroll around town, looking for something fun to do. A small, privately owned used book store had caught her eye and she wandered in, looking for something exciting to read.

As she started looking over the latest Daring Do book, wondering what it might be like to go on some exciting adventure, she spotted a book that was at once familiar. It was a dusty old book, several decades aged. The cover was green and the text was faded. It was a book on rare monsters. The book itself was very rare. It brought back memories. This book had been read to her as a foal by her dearest friend.

"Arcana..." Dazzle whispered as she picked it up. Her mind flooded with thoughts of her dear friend. They had been so close as foals until Dazzle had moved away. She hadn't thought they'd ever see each other again, but when she enrolled at the university, she was shocked to find Arcana a fellow student. Though Arcana had become more jaded in sorrowful in the years they were apart, Dazzle had wormed her way slowly back into her friend's heart. After the first couple years at the university, they were as close as ever. Shortly after that, however, Arcana disappeared suddenly. She had left not the slightest notification of where she was going or why. She just vanished entirely, leaving only the memories behind.

Dazzle lifted the book. She flipped through it carefully. Certain pages had scribbles on them. Scribbles she could remember making. Her eyes lit up. This wasn't just the same book Arcana had read to her. This was Arcana's copy! All at once her heart swelled with emotion. Drawing it in closer, she took it to the owner of the shop.

"Excuse me, sir," she asked as sweetly as she could. "Can you tell me who you bought this from?"

"Ah... that's a rare one. Worth quite the number of bits. Just bought it the other day," the stallion replied. "It was a pink unicorn mare in a hat and scarf. Rude and demanding thing. Sounded like she was up to no good."

"She's my friend. I haven't seen her in a year!" Dazzle started. The description left no doubt in Dazzle's mind. "Can you please tell me if you know where she was going?"

"She mentioned needing the money for a ticket north to Stalliongrad," the book store owner said. "She asked me if I had any books on the far north frontier beyond the city she could have cheap, so I assume she's headed up that way."

Dazzle's eyes lit up. After all this time, she had a lead on Arcana's location. She needed to leave at once, while she still had a chance of catching up to her. She looked down at the book again.

"So, how much is this book?" she asked. "It kind of has sentimental value to me..."

"As I said, it's rare. Fifty bits and its yours," the store keeper said.

Dazzle frowned. That was too much, especially if she was going to have to travel to the far North. She hung her head and sighed. "Umm... I'll come back for it then."

"Fine with me. Hope it's still here for you," the stallion replied.

"Thank you so much!" Dazzle replied as she put the book down and left.

Dazzle returned home immediately after that, and packed some things. She hated having to miss school, but bringing Arcana back was far more important to her. After an hour or so, she was dressed in a winter coat and had full heavy saddle bags on her back, stuffed with everything she thought she'd need.

It was only when she left her home again that she realized how scary the idea of going so far from home all alone on some big adventure would be. She wasn't some brave pony like Daring Do, she was just a humble magic student who save for a few excursions to the Whitetail Woods with Arcana as a foal, had never left the greater Canterlot area in her life.

She had a little money on her. Maybe she could hire a guide to help her out? Where could she even find somepony like that? She didn't know any brave ponies who went on adventures. She didn't know where she could find one in Canterlot either. She really had no idea where to even begin. That's when a simple thought occurred to her.

Usually when she didn't know something, she just asked somepony for help. Maybe that would work here? At the very least it was worth a try. Walking up to the first pony she saw, a black colored pegasus stallion, she offered a wide smile. She hoped she could count on this stranger's kindness to point her in the right direction.

"Hello there! I was wondering if you might be able to help me find somepony," she said cheerfully as she approached him. "I'm trying to find a strong, brave pony who has experience going on adventures. Do you know where I could maybe find somepony like that?"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valoren snored softly as he wondered if today was gonna be a good day, as he then slapped his hoof against his face to keep himself awake. Shaking his head radpily from the sudden strike, he looked around radpily for what had struck as he realized it was he. Sighing, he grunted "Ooof, that felt weird". His eyes looking around, he than realized that he was in the canterlot market. Personelly, he didnt like the majority of the ponies in Canterlot. Mostly because they acted stuck up, snobbish; like a buncha real jerks. It made him made whenever one would talk in a tone that was suggesting that he was beneath them just because he came from a lower social class or something. Stumbling through the market, he rememberd that he was exhausted becaues he hadnt gotten a lot of sleep last night. He had stayed up really late working on sorting through an old map, only to find out that the pony who had sold it to him was a dishonest, crook. The map had been a fake and the creep had stolen his bits. Finding a water fountain, he splashed some water into his eyes to hopefully wake up. Moaning as he rubbed his temples to help get some of the tiredness out. Laughing sheepisjly, he let out an oof as a pony bumped past him; keeping his head high as he spoke in an extremtly snobbish voice "Harumph, watch where you step urchin "he sneered with contempt at Valoren before turning away as he contiued on his way. Glaring in anger, Val wondered what he should do next when he felt somepony tap him on the shoulder. Turning around thinking it was the snob, he went to yell he noticed it was another pony. Staring at the unicorn, he remarked "Oh sorry about that". Hearing her statment on askin for an adventurer, he chuckled as he commented "Ah, well Im an advenutrer to be honest with ya".

"What? Really?" Dazzle started, her bright hazel eyes becoming wide with excitement. "You're a real adventurer? So that means you go on exciting adventures all the time, like Daring Do?"

Dazzle gave a gleeful little jump and bobbed her head up and down excited. "Oh, please, you have to help me! You see, my best friend ever disappeared last year and for the longest time I haven't had any idea where she was and I looked everywhere for her, but I never ever found anything and it made me sad because I wanted to find her really, really bad. But then today I went to a bookstore and the stallion who worked there had seen her!" she spoke quickly, barely taking the requisite time to breathe.

She then gave a long sigh. "The only problem is that apparently she was headed to the frozen wilderness north of Stalliongrad... and I don't think I should got that far from Canterlot all on my own, especially when it sounds so dangerous..."

She stared at the stallion, hoping she wasn't overwhelming him with too much information at once.

Val blinked as he watched Dazzle jump up gleefully into the air, as he gasped "Ahh, alot of energy I see". Watching as she asked for him to help her, he remarked "Ahh, well you see I..". Blinking, he stopped as she asked to search for his friend. That was enough for him since he really believed in helping others; weather ofr reward or not. "Oh i see..." Looking down, he then glanced up as he smiled "Ahh, well alright than. If you want help then sure since I always am up for an adventure". Remembering the original quetsion, he smiled "Why yes, just like Daring Do. She was sorta an inspiration for me when I was younger". Admitting that aloud, he gently blushed.

Dazzle giggled as the other pony responded. If he was a fellow Daring Do fan, she knew he must be a great adventurer. "Is that so? Awesome! Her books are so much fun! I've always read them and wondered what it would be like to go on an exciting adventure of my own."

"But you'll really join me?" she started, tilting her head. "I mean, I can pay you for the trouble... but I don't really have that much. I'm just a university student... And since we're going to have to buy train tickets and everything..."

Dazzle gave an awkward laugh. This pony really seemed nice, but she wasn't expecting him to work for nothing, and she really didn't have a lot to offer.

Val waved his hoof casually in dismissaly towards Dazzle, offering her a energetic grin as he remarked "Hey, for me adventures and the experince of them is reward enough. Im sure I'll probbaly find something along the way to help pay for any bills, or stuff to keep me goin". Chuckling, he remarked "Yeah, her books are rather inspiring. For me, its what helped get me intersted into advenuring when I was a foal".

"Really?" Dazzle started, surprised that the pegasus would be willing to go with her without pay. "I think that's really cool!"

She gave a cheery giggle and nodded brightly. "I just love reading in general. I read all sorts of books. Stuff like Daring Do has always been particularly exciting for me though."

It was about then that Dazzle realized she hadn't even introduced herself yet. She gave a soft laugh. "I'm Dazzle Dawn by the way! It's very nice to meet you, mister adventurer."

Dazzle shook the pegasus' hand and smiled. "it's so nice to meet you, Valoren!" she said. "I'm so glad I ran into you when I did!"

"So, is there any adventuring stuff you need to go get before we leave?" she asked, head tilted. "Or should we head to the train station right away?"

"I've never done this before... I want to make sure I do it right," she said with a soft giggle.

Heh heh, likewise. Im glad to have bumped into you as well" Val chuckled back in response as he grinned "It'll be alotta fun to go on another adventure so soon since I can get kinda restless at times". Shrugging, he nodded as he said "Ahh, well what we should do is that we should collect basic supplies like food, water, maybe some flash lights. Anything that can give us an adventage whenever we need to go into dangerous territory". Shrugging, he than grinned "Apart from those basics, I'd say we'll be ready to go". Giving her a serious look, he siad "This could be dangerous, and the unpreditacley of this adventure could prove much".

Dazzle nodded in understanding. "I know it will be dangerous. I have go anyway," she said, her voice momentarily showing just how serious she was for a moment.

After a brief pause, the young unicorn became all smiled again. She nodded toward the saddle bags she was wearing. "I already have some food and stuff like that packed," she said steadily. "I'm not sure it will be enough. I guess we could stop by a store on the way to the station if you think we need to."

"So, Valoren. Do you live here in Canterlot?" she asked after they had been walking for a while, just to make conversation.

"Hmm, oh no. I dont live here" Valoren shook his head in disagreement as he shrugged "I used to live in Cloudsdale when I was a foal, but I moved on and started to train myself to become a stronger pony, adventuring all over just like Daring Do. I havent been back ever since I was old enough to leave". Smirking, he flew up at high speed into the air before landing right down next to Dazzle once more. "Heh Heh, training myself in speed, strenght, agility. Everything". Sighing as they reached the store, he grinned "I just love how unpredictable the danger can get".

Walking into the store, Dazzle smiled at Valoren.

"That's really cool! Sounds like it must have been exciting," she said. "As for me, I've always lived in the Canterlot area. When I was younger, I used in a smaller, quieter, more humble part of town, but when I was a filly we moved here to the heart of the city." She gave a soft giggle. "It wasn't even to another city, but even that felt like a huge move to me... I'm a little scared about venturing so far away now..."

She looked down and then focused on the store. "Well, I guess you'd know the best kind of supplies to get," she said, a little unsure. "I'll be happy to chip in to pay though."

Val nodded as he listened to her tale of her youth. Nodding at her fear, he responded with a wave "It's completly understandable. When I first left Cloudsdale, I was terrified of going out into a world which I knew nothing about. I was so scared that I almost backed off". As he started to go through the supply store, he picked out some bars that would help give them a boost in energy and adrenaline that would help in dangerous sitatiouns as well as keeping awake. He picked out some flash lights as well, and a couple of batteries before getting some rope. "I slowly weaned my way towards the outside world, and when I left; I never felt anything like the freedom that greeted me once I was beyond Cloudsdale. The first place I ended up in was Ponyvile, it was much different from Cloudsdale but thats what made it so much fun".!

Dazzle listened closely as her new friend spoke. She smiled some more and nodded.

"Yeah. I like that sort of thinking," she said. "It sounds really nice to me, going out and seeing the world. Actually, I've always planned to travel once I finished school. I really want to see everything and do whatever I can to help as many ponies as I can smile easier."

Dazzle gave a shy laugh. "I just wasn't expecting to leave Canterlot quite yet, that's why I'm a little anxious." The unicorn nodded resolutely. "But for Arcana's sake, I have to."

She looked at the items Valoren had collected. "So, is that every thing?" she asked.

Valoren looked over the equipment he had collected carefully to ensure that he had'nt forgotten a single thing. Safitisfted with what he had, he gave a slight nod as he turned around to face Dazzle with a grin. "Heh heh, guess what? We got all we need" he remarked with a grin. Going up to the front, he pulled out his bits as he started to pay. "Its been along time since Ive been on a train to be honest, even longer since Ive been to the destination that were heading towards". Shrugging, he grinned "Not to say that Im not excited, oh no. Far from it". Chuckling, he remarked "Hmm, wonder what sort of monsters, traps, and perils we'll have to face..hopefully they'lll all be big ones"!!

Dazzle was unsure what to say to Valoren wishing they ran into big monsters and traps. She kind of hoped it didn't get that scary. Knowing Arcana though she'd be headed to the most dangerous place she could find. She was already expecting that. She hoped Valoren was strong.

"Well, that far north, I know for one thing that it's going to be really cold," Dazzle said, shivering just thinking about it. "That's the part I'm most worried about."

She gave a laugh and shook her head, trying not to think about the potential bad stuff like being frozen solid by icy winds and mountains of snow. "I've actually never been on a train myself. This will be the first time. I'm actually really looking forward to that part."

She smiled. She looked at the bits that Valoren was paying with "Oh, did you want me to help you pay?" she offered, reaching into her saddlebags with her magic to grab her bits.

Noticing the look on her face when he mentioned all the possible danger, he chuckled as he siad "Not that Im gonna go lookin for danger or any trouble since that wouldnt be right to bring anypony who wanst lookin for danger". Chuckling, he said "Ooo, I havnet been in a cold climate in a long time. Last time, was when I went to Stalliongrad during the winter. Wow, was that cold". Looking up, he grinned as he smikeled "Hmm, I wonder what the trains are like. How fast they move or if they even are comfy at all".

As he heard her offer to pay for some bits, he smiled "Only if you really want to, but I insit that I pay for it all".

"Well, okay then," she said, a little unsure. "But I'll pay for the train tickets!"

As she watched him pay for the supplied she nodded. "It can get kind of cold here in Canterlot during the winter... though I'm going to guess this is going to be much worse than that," she forced a smile.

"That's why I'm glad that I was somehow able to find somepony like you to tag along with me," Dazzle said steadily, as she moved toward the store exit. "I could never attempt something like this on my own."

Val let out a pfft at the last statment, giving her an encouraging pat on the back. "Ahh, dont say that. Im sure that you could do this journey solo if you really wanted to. The fact that you first went out to search for somepony, or at least for something to help you get started I believe carlifies that". After getting their tickest, they both headed for the train. Grinning, he spotted the train as he trotted alongside Dazzle to get on board. WHistling, he spotted a good booth as he stepped inside; finding a small table with chairs, with two bunk beds, a couple of drawers and a small mini fridge. "Well, it looks like we have all the comforts one needs" he chucklled with saftifcation towards all of the nessecities.

Dazzle smiled as she sat in the train. It was just like she'd imagine a train would be like. She supposed the train might take a while to reach Stalliongrad. Now was the perfect time to get to know Valoren even better, she supposed. That made her smile. Making friends was her favorite thing ever.

"Yes this looks really nice," she said with a nod. "And thanks for believing in me. I really appreciate it."

Dazzle looked out the train window as it started to move. She then looked back toward Valoren. "We might have a while," she said smiling. "So, why don't you tell me a little about one of your adventures to pass the time?" she asked, curious.

Valoren blinked at the request to hear about his adventures as he put a hoof to his chin in curiosity. "Gosh, Ive never really told anypony bout any of my adventures. At least Ive never been asked" he admtted softly. Smiling, he responded "But okay then!! My last adventure was when I went to retrieve a fire crystal". That seemed to catch her attention, as he recalled what he had to go through in order to get to the crystal. "Entering the temple, the lava bubbled and boiled below me; sending an intense heat throughout the room as I had to cross over a long narrow bridge". To explain more, he used his hooves to almost act out the scene. "Every so often, a stream of lava would shoot up into the air before falling down; almost always hitting me".

Dazzle listened to the story and watched Valoren closely, smiling as she did.

"Wow, that sounds really dangerous, but also really cool!" she started in a particularly animated fashion, her eyes going wide with excitement.

"So what happened? You weren't hurt were you? Did you find the crystal?" Dazzle asked rapidly, very curious to hear more. It was just like reading a Daring Do book, only Valoren had actually been through it. That made it even cooler, she thought.

"Oh, I got hurt yeah" Val admitted, as he pointed to his left hoof; showing some burn marks. "One of the lava streams caught my back hoof, burning it. Luckily it wanst too severe or serious to stop me from going" he shrugged. Smiling as he had her attention, he remarked "Well, what what happened was their sitting on a pedestal; was the fire crystal". Leaning in, he grinned "I could feel the antcipation of the prize i had been seeking right before my eyes; causing me to step slowly towards it as I could barely containt myself". Sitting back, he than spoke "Nervously, I reached out and took it; worried that I had triggered a trap. Yet..nothing had happened". Thinking I was lucky, I turned to leave when all of a sudden; out of the lava pit emerged a monster!! A dragon, completly made of fire!!!

Dazzle gasped, her eyes still wide. A dragon made of fire? Wow! That sounded awesome. She had met a couple young dragons before and they had seemed nice, but she doubted one made of fire would be very nice at all. She wondered if Arcana knew anything about dragons made of fire. Rare, unusual monsters were her favorite after all. She'd probably know all about it.

"So then what happened?" She asked, giving a little excited jump.

"Did you get away?" she asked. She then laughed, before continuing with considerable energy, "Well, I mean of course you got away since your here talking to me now, but what I mean is, how did it happen? Were you able to keep the fire crystal?"