[Park] To Reach the Stars!

Meow

taxi.png

Taxi maintained his silence on their trip as Fluttershy went on to answer Starlight's question and then... to Taxi's surprise the foal piped up with the most interesting tid bit of information. It caught Taxi a bit off guard and he came to a halt no doubt jostling the foal on his back but his wings kept the small one from falling as he did. Switchly his head rotated and he peered over his shoulder to the foal.

"You.. went into Everfree..? Along?" He questioned, his eyes narrowing a bit and for a time it almost looked like the elder was going to scold him.. but a second later, Taxi burst into laughter, his whole body shaking slightly with just how deeply he was laughing. "Well I'll be a donkey's uncle, I knew you had spirit kid, but I didn't know you had that much! That must have been quite an adventure!" Taxi was grinning again and soon enough he was trotting onward again, still chuckling under his breath.

As they passed over the bridge and continued on towards Fluttershy's cottage they'd made a slight detour to the right where a moderately sized structure was established. Taxi's Traveling Station was scribed across the front of the yellow building with a black and white band that replicated Taxi's cutie mark wrapping around the square building, there was one normal door that lead into the main foyer and a larger garage door that accessed the garage where he and employees stored their carts. It was here that Taxi would approach, letting Starlight off his back so that he could work and tug the lines and hoist the garage door.

Inside everything was neatly organized, carts of various sizes lined up against either wall with a work bench and tools set against the back which is where Taxi headed. Off to one side was a separate door into a closet which Taxi opened so he could dig through it, shuffling and rearranging things until he found what he was looking for. "Ah ha!" He exclaimed before withdrawing the scooter, the paint was a bit chipped but it seemed to have a Wonderbolts theme to it, Taxi flipped it over and tested the wheels to make sure they were in working order before wheeling it towards Starlight. "Here kid, give this a try.. lemme know if you need me to shorten or lengthen the handlebars."

Fluttershy looked a little shocked as she blinked and turned her attention to Starlight. He'd been in the forest, alone? She didn't want to sound scolding but that was a dangerous thing to do. Before she could really say much on it though, Taxi had chimed in. Spirit? Well that was one way to put it, but she wanted to make sure the foal knew he shouldn't try that trip again.

'My, you are brave... but I hope you won't try to go in there again. Everfree Forest can be very dangerous. There are a lot of strange creatures and plants in there. If you have to go, you should never go alone.'

As they reached Taxi's place of work she just stood next to Starlight as the stallion went to look for the scooter. When he brought it out, she smiled. Maybe Starlight would find a little boost in his confidence using it. Not only that, a Wonderbolt theme surely was something the young Pegasus would love.

'I bet you'll be getting around in no time. Do you have a helmet?'

Blinking at the two contrasting words of the adults, his head tilted and he moved to sit himself further down Taxi's back to look to Fluttershy. Rolling a hoof almost in guilt, it may have been spirited but...it was still wrong, he admitted that and with a small look up to the mare he nodded. He wanted to go back to see Aven, but maybe going with an adult was less hazardous to his health.

As they stopped off at the building, the newness of it brought the little foal to cling ever so slightly to the pale yellow mare's side like a magnet to metal and peered at all the different aspects of the garage. The carts. The boxes. The tools. His ears fluttered under his leather helmet till a scooter was wheeled out.

It was beautiful.

Glancing up to the pink maned pegasi tentatively, he stepped closer to the scooter as it wheeled forward and he tentatively placed a hoof against the chipped paint. Rearranging his helmet he smiled reassuringly towards Fluttershy and placed himself on the scooter, forehooves outstretched to the handlebars which were a little too tall for him.

But he got hold of them eventually, now....what did he do> Glancing at the floor he furrowed his brow in confusion.

"W-What do I do now?" He asked, looking to the pair.

taxi.png

Taxi chuckled to himself at Fluttershy's gentle scolding - he supposed that was wise to offer the kid some sort of light discipline and warning about his adventures. He'd let the mare handle that further as he fetched the scooter and brought it back. He watched then as Starlight situated himself on the scooter and took a grasp on the handle bars. For awhile Taxi eyed it a bit nervously trying to decide if the handlebar was to high.. yes, a bit and though Starlight got a hold of it Taxi wanted to make sure he could always keep a firm grip when he eventually got good on the thing.

Turning and departing Taxi approached one of the work benches and went searching through the toolboxes before finding a wrench and returning to the pair. "Shftep bacah.." Taxi mumbled around the wrench and gave Starlight a light nudge before he went to work. Screws and bolts loosened and suddenly the handlebar sank. He waved Starlight back and with the foal standing nearby reaching for the handles Taxi adjusted it to the youngster's height before firmly tightening it back.

"I think his flight helmet will serve the same purpose." Taxi remarked after setting the wrench aside with a slight chuckle before he wandered around behind Starlight as the kid got back on to the scooter. "Well, other ponies, they usually have to use their hooves, you put one on the ground and use it to push yourself. But. We as pegasus can use our wings.. Think of it as.. flying on the ground? It'll be a great way to make your wings stronger."

Fluttershy watched as Taxi adjusted the scooter for Starlight and then smiled. That would make it easier for the small foal to hold on to. And of course that meant it would over all be safer. There wasn't really much she could offer, but maybe she could help Starlight get going now that the scooter was already for him.

"It'll probably take a little getting use to.... keeping your balance that is." she walked over behind the scooter and gently put her right front hoof on it. "How about I give you a little pushing first. You can work on getting a feel for balance... and practice flapping your wings. And I can move you push you and help stabilize the scooter."

Her plan was to just push until he seemed to be getting the hang of it, then stop. Kind of like a giving him training wheels. That way when he saw she had let go and he was doing it on his own, it would boost his confidence.

Fumbling slightly as the scooter was adjusted, the foal watched on for a moment or two before taking his place again, feeling it wobble slightly on its wheels as he rested his chin on the bar to get a feel for it all and found himself liking it just a bit.

Until the wings were mentioned. Blinking his large purple eyes at the pair of them, he glanced to his tiny, meager wings and suddenly he felt a lot more unsure of himself on the contraption. His wings could barely lift him off the ground, how would they do with ANY sort of propulsion?

With a gulp, he almost immediately agreed to Fluttershy's proposal as he outstretched his little wings and flapped them weakly. Batting more like a sunning butterfly than anything else, deffinately not strong enough to offer any sort of thrust.

But by golly was he trying. Tongue stuck out the corner of his mouth and little face scrunched up in focus, he continued to try and beat his wings.

He wanted to fly. And if Mister Taxi said this would help with his wings, he wanted it to work, a small, strained noise escaped him as he began to fluster himself, hoping that Fluttershy's little pushes would help in the initial take off.

taxi.png

Taxi laughed a bit under his breath and allowed Fluttershy to take over before turning back to his establishment. In a few moments he had the garage door pulled back down into place and kicked the lock back. He felt mighty good about himself.. it was always nice to meet the neighbors, even more so when they were pegasi, though he and Fluttershy reacted different there was no reason why they couldn't be friendly - and he rather liked the kid, he had spunk and spirit.

Chuckling to himself Taxi turned and moved to trot behind and follow the pair for awhile. At first it did seem like all the movement was from the pushing female.. but after awhile the kid's flapping wings would at least give him the balance Fluttershy had mentioned. After awhile of watching Taxi came to two conclusions.. one, he was tired, he'd never made it home after all; two, Fluttershy seemed to have it under control.

"Well, it looks like you two have a handle on this.. I'll be going, just got back from a long trip and my aging wings can use the rest.. not to mention these eyes.." As though to accent the point Taxi gave a rather large yawn.. "That scooter is yours now kid so don't you worry about returning it, but if it gives you any trouble you just let me know and I'll fix it good as new. Nice to meet you Miss Fluttershy, I'm sure you can handle him from here." He remarked, patting Starlight on the head and giving Fluttershy a slight nod - "You two have fun."

Stretching and wiggling a bit to ease out some sleepiness Taxi took off, he was still pretty fast despite getting older as he headed back towards Cloudsdale where he was sure he'd sleep a whole day away.

(Taxi is Out. :))

As Taxi took his leave, Fluttershy nodded and offered a good bye, 'We'll have fun, I'm sure.' She hadn't said it yet, but Starlight reminded her a bit of herself. Not that she had been small like him, but she'd been a weak flier.

She continued to give him little pushes, but as he started to flap his wings, the yellow Pegasus backed off a little. And then, without saying anything, she just stopped. She hoped that soon Starlight would notice he was doing it, and with his own power.

'I was a weak flier too.' Fluttershy felt her story might be a good distraction first, so he wouldn't panic when he saw she wasn't pushing anymore. 'I struggled a lot... and even fell once. That was very scary. But a huge swarm of butterflies caught me. It just takes practice to build up your wings.' She smiled. 'I'm still nowhere as good as my friend Rainbow Dash, but I'm able to fly like any average Pegasus. And you will too. I just know it.'

There was a brief glimpse from Starlight, he tried to wave, but he didn't want to let go of his scooter incase he fell. But there was that thankful, big eye'd gawk from the tiny foal as he clung onto his new posession with a soft plink of his eyes as his smile was aimed to Taxi.

His new friend.

Older friend, but still a friend and an ex-Wonderbolt too. It'd been a good day afterall...even if a scary beggining.

Glancing back to Fluttershy, there was a soft squeak as he was pushed and tried to flap his wings as he best he could to aid his propulsion, because that's what this was for right? To aid his wings? He felt more like a baby bird than anything, his wings so pathetic and small.

Listening to the yellow mare as a tiny hoof pushed against the floor to aid some rolling as the other's help increased his confidence quite a bit. Tongue stuck out in concentration as his ears fluttered softly beneath his helm. Still thinking she was there, even AFTER she'd stopped and fluttered his wings as best he could.

"My daddy said I will be able to fly soon and I should be patient." He said weakly before slowly realised...she wasn't pushing him. She wasn't there. Soon the confidence bubbled and fizzed and he wobbled slightly before the scooter wheeled to a stop and a soft clatter as the tiny foal just sat atop it with a small and forlorn sigh.

"But I can't even stand on clouds properly...so if I fell I don't think there'd be any nice swarm of butterflies to save me...that's why I'm down here."

Fluttershy smiled when Starlight seemed to be able to push himself just fine. But when he noticed she'd stopped and then did so himself she couldn't help feeling a pang of sympathy for the foal. The best she could do was to try and cheer him on and encourage him.

'You were doing good there, I didn't even have to push anymore,' she trotted over and sat next to his scooter. 'Pretty soon I bet you'll be zipping around all over on this scooter, and then, even the sky.'

He looked rather sad being stuck on the ground and she could imagine it was probably hard from him to be away from his parents. She wished there was more she could do to help, but at least she could try and get his confidence up.

'Your dad is right, you'll be flying soon. I know it must be hard to be here, and have them be there. I bet you feel lonely. But they just want you to be safe. Even being able to walk on the clouds doesn't mean you might not fall. I was knocked off by accident. And had a been a stronger flier I would have been able to help myself. I was very lucky those butterflies happened along.'

She reached out and put a hoof on his head and smiled gently. 'You know what... if you keep working at it, you'll get it. You could even be one of the best fliers in Equestria. Even the Wonderbolt's themselves had to start somewhere, right?'

Blinking up from underneath his helm, he gently pushed it up to watch the mare curiously as she spoke as he seemed to do often. He was much better at listening than talking in the long run, his voice was too small and he was too shy...and such a small guy too. Raising a hoof to gently rub away any sniffling he may have in his nose, he felt a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

You could still fall? Even from up there? Even if you could stand on clouds...?

Glancing up at the ceiling and then briefly out of the garage up at the sky as Fluttershy spoke and his mind wandered over his parents. What they told him. What they must've done to start flying...and what they must've had to do to get up there.

The hoof on his head made him smile a tad brighter as he looked back to the nice yellow mare, eyes glancing up at her as they sat there and he placed a hoof gently on his scooter. Looking over the motif as his ears flattened against his skull. Thoughts ticking away.

"You think any of the Wonderbolts were as small as me...?" Came a soft, unsure murmur as he looked up to the other curiously.

'Well,' Fluttershy acted like she was thinking for a moment and then smiled. 'Maybe. Everypony has to start somewhere. There could have been a Wonderbolt just as small as you. And they could have had a little trouble learning to fly.'

It made her happy that she could encourage the little foal. Starlight reminded her a bit of herself and perhaps that's why she felt such a draw in helping him. If only there was more she could offer, but she didn't know how well of a flying teacher she would be. And when she thought of Rainbow Dash, well she thought her friend may be just a bit much for Starlight.

'Oh I know, you could find out for yourself.' She nodded with a large smile on her face. 'I bet there is a book all about the Wonderbolts... and I'm sure it would have their stories in it. Maybe there is something in the town library.'

Listening to Fluttershy, he blinked his large eyes gently as those equally large ears of his swivelled and swished slightly with every word, every now and then he would shift where he would sit to make himself more comfortable and that soft sound of fur landing gently against stone floor let out the faintest of sounds as he sat himself down in a new place.

It wasn't because he was bored, not at all.

He just liked to position himself so he could hear his new friend better.

And he did consider Fluttershy a friend, she was very nice, not too loud or overbearing and that made him feel very at ease.

The thought of a Wonderbolt as small as he'd been made him...feel much better...being this small was a weighty disadvantage for him. It made it harder for him to get up places and such...and stairs were a nightmare of Equestria sized proportions at times.

"A book?" He chirped curiously, ears twitching beneath his helm before he tilted his head in thought. A book! Now why hadn't HE thought of that? A small embarassed look came to his face as a soft blush tinted his white cheeks.

"That's a good idea, miss Fluttershy."

That face could melt even the coldest heart, but with Fluttershy, a pony who was already kind and sweet, she had long since turned to mush while taking to Starlight. And seeing his redden cheeks and somewhat embarrassed expression just made her want to coo. Of course she kept it in to keep from embarrassing the foal any more than he already was.

'Maybe that could be your um.. goal for today,' she smiled. Maybe she could coax him back onto the scooter to get his confidence with it back up. 'You could go to the library to look for a book on the Wonderbolts, but get there with your new scooters. It'll be a lot quicker that way.'

Now she just had to make it sound like it would be safe and something fun as well. She knew he was probably nervous trying the scooter, especially without another pony stabilizing it. So she had to make situation sound just right.

'Think of it as a small step to being as great as the Wonderbolts themselves. It might be a little challenging but if you can do something like this, then what's stopping you from reaching your next goal. I'll even walk along with you if you like.'

The foal's smile couldn't have been any broader, shuffling onto his scooter he straightened himself up on it and soon tried to wheel himself around with just his hooves and such pushing softly along the ground. It worked for the moist part, not that his wings would give any satisfactory form of momentum to even get him past the entrance of the garage.

But his hooves were a different story.

Little flaps of his helm flopped over his cheeks as he rested his chin on the handlebar, looking to Fluttershy with that smile as he rolled in small jolts of motion that wheeled to a slow and steady stop two or three feet from the place he'd started. This would take a long time to get used too.

A really...really long time.

But he was sure he'd get it eventually and miss Fluttershy was sure of that too, that filled him with a great confidence.

Maybe when he was a Wonderbolt he would be able to make his mommy and daddy super special happy with him"

"I'd like that, miss Fluttershy!" He piped up happily. "I don't know where lots of places are..."

• 2 weeks later...

It really made her smile to see Starlight get a boost of confidence and start pushing along on his scooter again. He was such a sweet little foal and the more they talked the more Fluttershy felt he was like her in ways. Especially since he was struggling to learn to fly, which had been a problem for her as well. At least she could give him some assurance and get him excited to keep trying.

'It can be hard learning where everything is. But that's okay. While we head to the library I can point some things out to you. That way you can remember certain places to help you know where you are. There are plenty of buildings that stand out and make good markers.'

She nodded down the path that led into town and smiled. 'Now there is a little bit of a hill as we go into town, so be careful. You don't want to accidentally get rolling too fast now. But I'll be close, so there is no need to worry.'

Starlight was beggining to feel all the more confident with the mare by his side, smiling happily as he trudged himself along with his hooves seeing as the confidence in his wings wasn't the most outstanding at the moment. But he could see his future bright and clear.

A proud pegasus, with large wings and one of the best flyers in Equestria!

He knew that if he worked toward it, he'd be good enough to fly up and up and up and count the stars and everything and then he'd be able to make his mommy and daddy so proud of him!

He stopped when Fluttershy mentioned the hill and looked over it, bracing his hooves either side of his scooter as he walked with it. Hoof by hoof. Edging slowly over and over the main bit of the hill.

"L-Look Fluttershy! I'm doing it! I-"

One of his hooves slipped up and even down the small hill he began to roll down it faster than he expected, flopping onto his back upon the scooter as it rolled to a stop and he just blinked up at the sky. A little bermused at what happened. Flopping his head back he smiled rather impishly. That...was more embarassing than he'd wanted it to be.

• 2 weeks later...

At first she was going to give him some praise since he seemed excited that he was managing to move along on his own. But when he slipped Fluttershy bit her lower lip, ready to chase after a run away scooter if need be. But luckily he rolled to a stop and appeared to be just fine. She let out a sigh and trotted to meet up with Starlight, a smile still on her face.

'Are you alright?' Even if the foal didn't look hurt, she wanted to make sure. Though with a quick glance over she was sure he was just embarrassed about ending up on his back more than anything else.

'You were doing very well. Even if you slipped a little, you didn't fall off completely. That's better than some do their first time with a scooter.'

Fluttershy herself had never used a scooter, but she'd seen plenty of foals playing with them. And of course that meant seeing her fair share of spills. At least Starlight didn't have a scraped flank or bruise. She'd have felt horrible then.