Poking the Hornet's Nest: FiM Casting

MyLittlePonyTales

I just assumed that bringing up a topic suggesting a change in the RP system would get a negative response as well, since the people here take pride in it, and take it very seriously. I wasn't wanting to step on any hooves by sticking my nose into it, yanno?

You can suggest changes all you want, that doesn't mean we have to listen/respond! ;)

You might get a negative response if you consider 'no' negative, lol.

"since the people here take pride in it, and take it very seriously"

You better believe it.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I have the time to write out a post here:

I personally agree with almost everything Rosewind said, since I have been here I've noticed a trend of how the Tier 1 characters are handled and how they change hands. Ashton and Rosewind covered the main points but I'd like to reemphasize how, circumstances willing, they can be held by the same person FOREVER.

I understand how continuity and stability is prized from an RP point of view, BUT I think its only fair that everypony should get a chance to play.

My proposal is: Tenure for the Tier 1 characters are to be awarded for a period of 6-9 months, after that period, we can have a period of re-electons where that character will be reopened up for applications to everypony except the incumbent

When I first joined Canterlot, I made a joke about an RP map and had a pretty sour run-in with the powers-that-be. I just assumed that bringing up a topic suggesting a change in the RP system would get a negative response as well, since the people here take pride in it, and take it very seriously. I wasn't wanting to step on any hooves by sticking my nose into it, yanno? I know I've more than done that at this point -- probably more than I have a right to since I don't participate in the game myself.

If I remember correctly, you were making a joke about the quality of the maps and basically ribbing the person that had done them, which was what got you in hot water. A joke was fine, but the ribbing at the person who did them was something we took seriously, since it was not very nice to take a dig at someone who had worked so very hard to produce what we -do- have.

However, we -do- take suggestions, and we take them seriously, and we will respond to them if they seem like a good idea or even if they seem like a bad idea, as long as they're suggestions and not demands. Ask us for a change, provide some suggestions on how they could work, and we can see if they can be integrated. Demand that something be changed and then don't offer any insight on how it could be implemented and we'll pretty much ignore it. We thrive on innovation and shaping, and that's how the site works.

However, in regards to the Game A and Game B thing, I really don't think that'll work or is even necessary. One thing that I would like to encourage peoiple to be doing is to be making use of the 'Logs' section. Take a look at some of the logs in there, see how people are using them. Particularily my own, if you can dig them out. The reason for this, is that if people start keeping track of the roleplays they're in and what state they're in, it will help them keep thing straight, and should a new system be implemented, it will also shunt the work of keeping track of that stuff onto you guys where it belongs, instead of forcing us to have to chase things down. Especially if we need to find your roleplays for whatever reason. The system I have in mind in the future will most definitely take advantage of this.

If I remember correctly, you were making a joke about the quality of the maps and basically ribbing the person that had done them, which was what got you in hot water. A joke was fine, but the ribbing at the person who did them was something we took seriously, since it was not very nice to take a dig at someone who had worked so very hard to produce what we -do- have.

Yeah see, the joke was, my map was inferior to the good map. I'm not sure how that could be misconstrued as ribbing. I spoke to the creator of the map privately, and we both agreed that there was no blood and no foul.

However it's all a matter of perception, and it ended up creating an issue I never intended.

I will say that this community is one that thrives on tolerance, respect, friendship, love, and understanding (at least I hope it does), and those elements should influence how you choose to treat others, regardless of your place in the community, leadership role or not.

My proposal is: Tenure for the Tier 1 characters are to be awarded for a period of 6-9 months, after that period, we can have a period of re-electons where that character will be reopened up for applications to everypony except the incumbent

Canterlot is barely a year old. In that time, most of the Tier 1 and 2 Cast HAVE changed hands hooves. There isn't really a need to implement a time limit, because it happens on its own. Even Twilight Sparkle is on her second player. We just had Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy open. I think that was Dash's third player, Fluttershy's second. That was in the span of 12-13 months.

We're not big enough at this point to warrant switching characters around often. It really isn't necessary now, especially since Canterlot is still so young. In time, characters seem to switch players on their own. :)

• Like 1

Canterlot is barely a year old. In that time, most of the Tier 1 and 2 Cast HAVE changed hands hooves. There isn't really a need to implement a time limit, because it happens on its own.

I'm quoting this so that you can easily find it when you have to eat those words ;)

Seriously, I suspect when you find the right players, the characters will never swap players again. If someone who is truly passionate, identifies, and loves the character, they will never give them up till the site/series/etc is completely dead. There are a few characters that I would bet money on never changing again now, and there will only be more in the future.

I'm not saying this is good, I'm not saying this is bad. I'm just stating my observations.

Seriously, I suspect when you find the right players, the characters will never swap players again. If someone who is truly passionate, identifies, and loves the character, they will never give them up till the site/series/etc is completely dead. There are a few characters that I would bet money on never changing again now, and there will only be more in the future

That's what we thought about MudBug, a great artist who played Dash and Celestia. All of a sudden, she just stopped coming to the site. Basically, grew bored of the show/fandom. Same with buxy, who played Zecora. She was a really cool gal, but IRL reared it's ugly head. Flutterscotch was a long time user, and she recently lost Apple Bloom. It happens to the best of us.

Ashton, even in that scenario you stated, an act of god or other real life issue can cause a player to give up the character. Permanence is an illusion. I wouldn't wish for something like that upon another player, but it happens.

Ashton, even in that scenario you stated, an act of god or other real life issue can cause a player to give up the character. Permanence is an illusion.

Ironically one of my favorite quotes "Nothing is forever" (humerously it actually originates from one of the old claymation Xmas movies I saw as a kid... but that's severely off-topic)

There's a difference, though, Acts of God tend to happen very very rarely, when was the last time we had a plague of Locusts? (and dont say 9/11, that was an act of human-shaped monsters (to put it nicely) not God) I'm not even bothering to keep notes, much less update any apps I had saved for certain ponies I had wanted. (though on the bright side, that does mean continuity will be good...)

I quantify an act of god to include natural disasters. That is what I meant as those can happen more often.

Well, some of us might argue that's actually Gaia's Vengeance (no I'm not joking)... but I see what you mean... Still, those things are *very* rare and I for one dont count on them happening...

• 2 weeks later...

Canterlot is barely a year old. In that time, most of the Tier 1 and 2 Cast HAVE changed hands hooves. There isn't really a need to implement a time limit, because it happens on its own. Even Twilight Sparkle is on her second player. We just had Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy open. I think that was Dash's third player, Fluttershy's second. That was in the span of 12-13 months.

We're not big enough at this point to warrant switching characters around often. It really isn't necessary now, especially since Canterlot is still so young. In time, characters seem to switch players on their own. :)

I'm quoting this so that you can easily find it when you have to eat those words ;-)

Seriously, I suspect when you find the right players, the characters will never swap players again. If someone who is truly passionate, identifies, and loves the character, they will never give them up till the site/series/etc is completely dead. There are a few characters that I would bet money on never changing again now, and there will only be more in the future.

I'm not saying this is good, I'm not saying this is bad. I'm just stating my observations.

both of you are unfortunately absolutely right which is why I forsee nopony budging in this arguement

I'm gonna put it bluntly; all we can do is hope that RL shats on the RPer if you ever want to get a shot at the character they are playing. I know my statement is mean and crude but I believe from the bottom on my heart that it is the hard truth

Which Is why I believe the only way that will satisfy everypony is a tenure system, its only a matter of how long the tenure is

I thought I was going to lose the Apple Bloom application and afterwards was going to come here in defense of the current system. I then avoided it after I won since I didn't want to appear to be just defending my position, but since this topic is bumped and I find it interesting, I want to say what I was going to say back then.

The current system is perfectly fine. Let good, active players who are selected keep the characters active. A tenure system, while interesting on paper, murders creativity.

RPs tend to take months to do. If you are only going to have a character for, say, three months, that means you will only be able to have a minimal impact on the character. You can't do anything long term nor anything not strictly in line with the character, because you will end up running out of time and then the character will act different if he/she/it comes back under new management.

While we may focus on who gets to play the cast characters, we need to remember that the majority of interactions for those cast characters are with OCs. Most characters period in the RP are OCs. I do not entirely understand the belief that, "its only fair that everypony should get a chance to play." in relation to this.

Well...agreed. Everypony should get a chance to play.

That's why you have OCs. Everypony already gets that chance to play.

But being a cast character is different.

Imagine you are on a little league team. Everyone gets to play, but not everyone gets to pitch.

Also, why would anyone be upset that they lost? Interacting WITH your favorite character when well-roleplayed can be just as much fun as roleplaying as that character. You should be happy that your character isn't dead or inactive but out there spreading great justice, and you can have fun with him/her.

I'm distracted by a crying baby and am not making much sense. In the end, cast characters do not drive the RP, they flavor it. The real stars are your OCs. As such, if someone is active and plays well, the cast characters shouldn't change.

• Like 1

Wow this topic just will NOT die, will it?

I have issue with one point you made:

As such, if someone is active and plays well, the cast characters shouldn't change.

What if they DON'T play well or are only as active as required? Technically unless they do something forbidden, there's no way to remove them. (now as far as I know this has never happened and likely never will because few low-quality RPers will pass the application process, but lets say someone did, someone wrote a gorgeous app, got accepted with open arms, then proceeds to produce horseapples for posts or plays the character very poorly or incorrectly (Twilight as a upper-class twit "she's from canterlot!" Dash as a brainless jock "all she does is trail she must be!" Pinky as a true, deranged, psychopath "she acts crazy all the time!" etc.) Then, unless they get banned or go inactive, there's no option except to put up with them untill they either get bored and give up the character (and in some cases it wont happen) I know there are many ways to interpret some of the characters, and I have heard that in the past people have been very unhappy with a player's portrayal (not naming any names because I dont know how true any of it is, could all be simple butt-hurt from ppl who lost the app)

I'm not saying that a tenure system is the solution to this, but I do see a need for *some* system to be in place in case it happens.

Prestige aside, I don't really see the appeal in playing one of the Mane 6. Puts you basically on autopilot, since they are already so well defined. The lower tiers I kinda understand, they leave room for some freedom.

Anyway, If someone doesn't like the portrayal of a certain cast character, I think it's important to differentiate between personal preference and objectively lackluster roleplay. And no, there doesn't need to be a system like that in place, because what that leads to is a bunch of people who are blinded by their own jealousy trying to pick apart the current cast players post in the feint hope to find something report worthy, so that they can have a shot at applying for a certain cast character again.

Wow this topic just will NOT die, will it?

I have issue with one point you made:

What if they DON'T play well or are only as active as required? Technically unless they do something forbidden, there's no way to remove them. (now as far as I know this has never happened and likely never will because few low-quality RPers will pass the application process, but lets say someone did, someone wrote a gorgeous app, got accepted with open arms, then proceeds to produce horseapples for posts or plays the character very poorly or incorrectly (Twilight as a upper-class twit "she's from canterlot!" Dash as a brainless jock "all she does is trail she must be!" Pinky as a true, deranged, psychopath "she acts crazy all the time!" etc.) Then, unless they get banned or go inactive, there's no option except to put up with them untill they either get bored and give up the character (and in some cases it wont happen) I know there are many ways to interpret some of the characters, and I have heard that in the past people have been very unhappy with a player's portrayal (not naming any names because I dont know how true any of it is, could all be simple butt-hurt from ppl who lost the app)

I'm not saying that a tenure system is the solution to this, but I do see a need for *some* system to be in place in case it happens.

Actually if its that bad where people are just obviously playing the character poorly on purpose or trolling with them any people are all noticing, then what you can do is let us know because it is possible to remove a cast character from someone if they are just going to abuse said character.

The "system" as you say is called the staff. If a person is playing the character way off of how they described them in the app, there's obviously a problem. Problems are dealt with by the staff. Thus, said system already exists. :)