Big News [knight, Diego]

knight

bonbonforrp.png

Bon Bon

Bonnie could barely look up from the pavement as she walked next to Lyra. They were close--she could feel it. Every inch of her body was trembling with apprehension. Oh, how she longed to get this over with. She was already completely positive that there would be no approval from either of their parents, and so in all actuality, this was all just a formality. She wanted the most important ponies in her life to know--she was a filly fooler--through and through, and Lyra was the light of her life.

As they neared Lyra's home, Bon Bon felt her feet stop, glued like anchors to the bottom of the see, and she stared forward, her heartbeat thudding in her ears noisily. She was absolutely terrified.

[[sorry so short, but it's a start, right?! :D]]

LyraBanner.png

Lyra was nowhere near as nervous as Bon Bon was. She had butterflies in her belly, true, but it was her parents up first, and while she knew that her mother would be difficult, she also loved her daughter dearly, and would eventually warm up to Lyra's girlfriend, if only to avoid a scene.

Bon Bon's parents, on the other hoof, were a complete unknown to her. She could see the fear in the earth pony's eyes, but Bon Bon had been less than forthcoming about what her family was truly like. Probably trying to spare Lyra more nerves, she guessed.

They slowly made their way through the busy Canterlot streets. The chill winter weather seemed to have no effect on the citizens of the mountain city, though Lyra could see that many of the little cafés were doing extra business, with plenty of ponies partaking in the pleasures of hot tea and coffee.

The path took them further around the mountain, to the residential district. Here, the marble and gold buildings were no less spectacular than in the city centre, though each house had an impressive garden or mosaic path to give the owners some individuality; though in true Canterlot style many looked alike, with elaborate topiary sculptures being "in" this season.

The pair eventually stopped at a modest (yet still grand compared to Ponyville) house overlooking the lakes to the far west. Decorative hedges around the perimeter prevented anypony from looking in, and a large golden gate barred the way in. Lyra pulled a small gold key out from her satchel and held it up.

"Well, this is it. You ready Bonnie?" Lyra said, looking at Bon Bon. She knew that the answer would be "no" but asked anyway. Moving close, she wrapped a foreleg over Bon Bon's shoulders and kissed her on the cheek. "Don't worry. No matter what happens, we'll still have each other."

bonbonforrp.png

Bon Bon quivered in her snow boots right where they stood, staring up at the beautiful home with her blue eyes tightly constricted, she could not help it as she nibbled lightly on her lower lip in her nervousness. Even as Lyra kissed her, the fear did not ebb, "Are....are you sure we have to do this....no, I mean of course we need to.....I mean...well, what if they don't like me? What if....what if they think I'm not good enough? I mean....what if...."

She quaked in her boots, and her words caught with a bulge in her throat, "I don't know if I can do this, Lyra.....I might faint...." she plopped her rear end down in a rather unladylike manner, crunching lightly into the snow, "I don't know.....I've never had to do this before....I just wish it would go well.....nothing has ever seemed so....so HARD...."

Lyra listened to Bon Bon's fears and felt her heart sink. Was this too much, too soon? She sat down next to her girlfriend and gave her a big hug.

"Bon Bon, if you really, really want, we can just leave. We'll say you got sick on the day and weren't fit to travel. But we're going to have to do this sooner or later, and you never know, it might go really well! And if they don't like you? Who cares!? I sure don't. I'm a big pony now and my parents don't get a say about who I can and can't love. And I will do my very best to get your family to like me. If they don't, well then I can say that I tried. Can't please everypony. As long as I'm with you, that's all that matters."

Bon Bon listened quietly to Lyra, hearing the love that was present in every single word spoken, and she knew--even if her parents disowned her and never spoke to her again--she would be alright. She had never felt so much love for Lyra as she did right now. She wanted to be with this mare. Forever. She wanted to be whatever it was two mares could be--for she was not certain two mares could get married--but if it was possible, it was what she wanted to do. Nopony else mattered.

"You're right, Lyra," she kissed her warmly on the cheek, smooching her lips into the cushion of Lyra's cheek with a smile, "I love you so much, Lyra. You always know just what to say!"

She puffed out her chest, a determined look on her face as she stood before the gate, adding to a positively adorable pose with her fluffy snow boots, mixed in with the determined call, "Let's do this!"

• 5 weeks later...

LyraBanner.png

"That-a-girl!"

Lyra opened the gate and went through, walking down the path. She hadn't been back for quite some time, but it sure brought back memories.

They arrived at the front door. Lyra took a moment for a quick, last minute straightening of her mane and brushing lift off her coat. Grasping the knocker on the door with her magic, she knocked three times and waited.

After a few moments, an older unicorn opened the door. He was a small stallion, with a dark blue coat and a tidy black mane with a single grey streak through it. A pair of small reading glasses were perched on his muzzle.

"Hi Dad!"

"Lyra, my dear!" he said, a wide grin on his face. Without warning, he swept her up into a hug. "How's my little sweetiecakes?"

"Daaaaaaaad!" Lyra cried, blushing furiously at the silly nickname. But she hugged him back all the same. "Um, Dad, I'd like you to meet Bon Bon. My... girlfriend."

Lyra's father released her from the embrace and turned his attentions to the cream coloured pony. "Ah yes, Lyra's... partner." He smiled. "Well it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Pencil Pusher, Lyra's father and a clerk working for Canterlot Bank." He held out a hoof for Bon Bon to shake.

bonbonforrp.png

Bon Bon couldn't believe how quickly Lyra just jumped right into that. She thought they'd...talk...introduce her as a friend from Ponyville....not....I mean...she hadn't even gotten a hoof in the door yet, and Lyra was--oh dear!

"Uh, y-y-yes!" A smile wriggled it's way up her face awkwardly, but somewhere from her childhood, living in the froo froo mansion at the foot of Canterlot Castle, attending fancy parties, and meeting the highest of names in Equestria--somewhere, that little well-groomed, highfalutin mannered little filly came out, and the awkward Bon Bon vanished in a rush of poise. As she placed her hoof into Pencil Pusher's, a look of supreme confidence, and a smile befitting a princess are what shown on Bon Bon's face, "It is an absolute PLEASURE to meet you, sir."

Her words were clean, and her tone measured. Even her stance had changed. She looked as though she could maintain a stack of books twelve feet high atop of her head, and still maintain a constant composure, "Canterlot Bank? How wonderful. I'm sure you've heard of my parents then, the Bonnevilles. Our family has had stock and bonds with Canterlot Bank since Canterlot was a town as quaint as Ponyville!"

She chuckled politely, batting her eyelashes at the stallion as she made polite conversation, yet brought herself into the conversation as an off-hoofed mention, "May we come in? It's simply blustery outside!"

As if on cue, the wind howled loudly, and tossed their manes and tails about roughly, as if to urge them inside.

• 2 weeks later...

(Being slow again. Sorry)

LyraBanner.png

Lyra's father seemed quite impressed by Bon Bon's introduction. "Ah yes, the Bonvilles. A most prestigious family." he said. "Oh, please excuse my manners! Do come inside, both of you!"

Pencil Pusher led the mares inside. Even the main hallway was spacious and well decorated, with many paintings of famous ponies along the walls and beautifully painted vases on the tables. "I'm just going to put some tea on, make yourselves at home." said the stallion. "Lyra, your mother is out at the moment. Said she had to go return a book she'd borrowed from a friend. She'll be back in a few minutes."

"Okay Dad, thanks." replied Lyra. She showed Bon Bon into the main living room, a cosy little room, with comfortable couchs and a warm fireplace. Lyra flopped down onto the couch, in her usual awkward way, leaning back with her rear hooves dangling off the edge. "I knew Dad would be easy." she spoke with a grin on her face. "He's always been pretty mellow about these kinds of things." She looked over towards Bon Bon with concern. "You doing okay? For a second there I thought you were going to panic, but I think you really impressed him."

As soon as Pencil Pusher left the room, Bon Bon heaved out a huge sigh, and her whole body slumped into the closest arm chair, "Good GOSH, Lyra....that was HARD." She tilted her head onto the arm of the chair, her curled locks cushioning against her cheeks as she sighed, "I thought I was gonna die...."

She sat up and straightened her mane out in a nearby mirror, "This is harder than I remember--making a good impression, that is..." She dusted off her torso and heaved a sigh, blowing her forelock out of her eyes, and nudging it with her forehoof to manage it up a little bit, "I'm okay, Lyra.....I can do this!"

She puffed up her chest and gave a big grin, "No problem! Bring on the mom!"

Lyra smiled at Bon Bon. Lyra's father being home first was a stroke of luck, his easy acceptance being just what Bon Bon needed to help bolster her confidence. Lyra's mother... well thinking about it, she had no idea how she would react, but knew about her "traditional" views. Oh well, no point in worrying about it now.

Lyra giggled at Bon Bon's new determination. "Don't worry, you'll get your chance. For now, just sit back and relax." Lyra slumped even further into her seat.

A few minutes later, Lyra's father returned from the kitchen with a tray of hot teas in dainty little mugs, and a plate full of fancy biscuits. Het set them down on the table, before taking a cup with his magic and sitting down in an armchair opposite Bon Bon. "Do help yourselves." he said.

"So, tell me, how did you two meet?" he asked.

"Oh, it was at the Ponyville welcome party. Everypony new to Ponyville gets one. Bonnie and I got talking about the chocolates at the snack table. Bon Bon is something of an expert when it comes to candy!" Lyra spoke, proudly.

"Ah, really? Are you in the confectionery business?" Pencil Pusher asked Bon Bon.

• 5 weeks later...

Bon Bon smiled warmly, perfectly, "I am!" She pulled off her jacket with her teeth and gingerly set it down on the arm of the love seat, somehow it looked folded, despite her simplicity. She turned to the side, lifting up her rear leg a bit to pull attention to her flank, showing off the twisty-tied sweets marking her talent, "I adore making sweets--and your daughter certainly loves to devour them!"

Bon Bon gave a well-placed chuckle at her own comment and through a trick of the hoof, she lightly kicked the table, sending one tea cup twirling into the air, and caught the cup on the bottom of her hoof, not a drop spilled. She shut her eyes, knowing her trick impressed even the stubbornest of ponies, and took a sip from the cup, politely commenting on it's taste.

Pencil Pusher laughed heartilly at Bon Bon's little trick, as Lyra beamed and clapped her hooves.

"Ohoho! Most impressive young lady!"

Just then, the sound of a door opening and closing from the hallway alerted the ponies to a new arrival.

"Ah, that must be your mother, Lyra."

Lyra bounced out of her seat and hoppped to the door. "Hi Mom!" she called out.

"Lyra, my sweet, it's so good to see you again! How are you?"

While Lyra and her mother spoke in the hallway, Lyra's father got up and drew closer to Bon Bon.

"Tell me Bon Bon..." he began, though he seemed uncomfortable about something. "Lyra... does she seem... happy? Does she have many friends in Ponyville?" he asked. "She's been away for some time now, but it always seemed like she didn't have many friends when she was here."

• 2 weeks later...

bonbonforrp.png

Bon Bon smiled at Lyra's father's words, and the sincerity they carried. She gave a smile, "I'm happy to report she's doing wonderful! She's one of the most popular ponies in town! I couldn't count on our two sets of hooves how many friends she has." she paused for a moment, "And did you know she WON the running of the leaves just this last year?!"

She jerked upright from the stallion as she heard the hoofsteps of Lyra and her mother heading to the room, and with a quick glance, double-checked her appearance in the reflection of a window, and then looked back to Pencil Pusher, giving a grin, and a quick whisper, "Should I be scared?"

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm happy to report she's doing wonderful! She's one of the most popular ponies in town! I couldn't count on our two sets of hooves how many friends she has. And did you know she WON the running of the leaves just this last year?!"

"Oh thank goodness, that's excellent news!" the unicorn said after a deep breath."We've been so worried about her, ever since she decided to set out on her own. I knew that this would be a good thing for her though. I'm glad she's making friends. And yes, I heard about the running of the leaves." he said, with a twinkle in his eye. "I was rather skeptical at first, I must admit. Lyra was never for for physical activity. But it made her mother and me so proud! Y'know, I used to do a bit of running myself back in the day." he said with a chuckle.

"Should I be scared?"

Pencil Pusher kept smiling and looked Bon Bon in the eyes. "You may find my wife a little intense at first. I'm often told that by ponies. Just be patient and she'll open up." he said, patting Bon Bon on the shoulder with a gentle hoof. "Just remember that she loves her daughter dearly." he added.

The sounds of hoofsteps rounded the corner into the room. Pencil Pusher had quickly seated himself back into his favourite armchair, a cup of tea now suspended in front of him with magic. Lyra entered first, giddy with glee from seeing her mother again after so long. After her came a lavender coloured mare, with an expertly styled blond mane.

"Ah, welcome back dear." said Pencil Pusher. "You were out longer than I expected."

"Ah yes, well you know how Violet Dream loves to chat. I tell you I could have been there hours." responded the mare with a smirk. "Lyra my sweet, who is this pony you said I just had to meet? Did you finally find yourself a special somepony?"

Lyra simply giggled and bounded over to where Bon Bon sat. "Mom, I would like you to meet Bon Bon." said the mint-coloured unicorn. Her mother raised a skeptical eyebrow. "She works as a confectioner in Ponyville. And yes, she is my special somepony." Lyra's mother tipped her head back a little, her eyes narrowing. Lyra, apparantly oblivious, continued: "Bonnie, this is my mother, Lyrica. She plays harp in the Royal Canterlot Orchestra." she said. She then stood back to allow the two ponies to speak, smiling all the while.

• 1 month later...

BonBonPostBannerwithtext.jpg

Bon Bon's pleasure at Pencil Pusher's attitude was complete. He was excited, happy, and engaging- she responded well to that. It was the best possible start to what she had so foolishly believed would be a difficult day, less of a meeting than the beating of the rocks by stormy seas. She was the rocks in that scenario, just in case there was a question. The only storm she could be responsible for was a storm of delicious sweets and candies being engulfed by the adoring public. Well, the friendly public, at least. Adoring might have been an overstatement. She was also happy that the banter was equally give and take and didn't hinge on controversy. Bon Bon smiled as he finished his part of the story.

"Well, now I see where she gets the running from. Truth be told it was a shock to everyone, but I guess my treats don't slow her down. I think some of the self-proclaimed more athletic types might have been really jealous!" She said and ending with a small giggle. A few moments later he answered her worried question regarding the other half of the successful couple, setting up her worries to fail. She nodded as she took it in and was ready to thank him for his support- both direct and in raising Lyra, who had in turn helped Bon Bon in ways unfathomable- when Lyra introduced her mother.

Lyra was excited, honest, up-front and earnest. It was everything she could have hoped for or expected from Lyra and it set Bon Bon at ease. That wasn't necessarily undone but the mother's reaction did its part o bring her down. It was the very start of a shocking reaction and Bon Bon knew the only way to pre-empt such a reaction was by being aggressively polite. It was oddly also the best way to handle unease and nervousness: break through that barrier and the only barrier that remained was on the other side and perhaps that too could be overcome.

She shook Lyrica's hooves energetically, if still politely.

"It's wonderful to meet you, Lyrica. I always wondered how Lyra turned out so wonderfully and its become quickly apparent. Your husband is a treasure and your daughter certainly gets her talents from you- a harp player in the Royal Canterlot Orchestra? Incredible!" Bon Bon lathered on the praise as she sought to lessen or perhaps extinguish the flame of shock or discrimination that naturally burned in the innards until it could no longer internally be contained. Or at the very least have Lyrica like her. That seemed more likely. Bon Bon stole a glance at Lyra and the sight was fine enough to shore up any lacking confidence.

"I'm sorry if I sound a little nervous. Just very excited to meet you. Both of you."