[Canterlot] Far Past the Dawn [CLOSED]

Neoniie

The white unicorn was quite pleased that the earth pony had agreed to allow her to travel with the two to Lily's destination. In discovering the filly's profession, she had developed a very genuine interest in it. Though it was only a secondary pursuit, she found herself focusing more intently on it than her original purpose for accompanying the filly. Herbalism was a dying art, from what the scientific unicorn understood. Books on the subject were both uncommon and out-of-date, as it was not a subject often researched by those who found themselves in the position to write novels. As books were Flux's only consistent way of obtaining information on most subjects, the lack of them on this subject had left it a mystery to her since her discovery of it. So, in light of her newly discovery source of information, Flux quickly placed any thoughts of Lily's eyes on the metaphorical back-burner.

She noticed Dagger's gaze lifting from her in favour of another pony, which she was grateful for, as the stallion was quite intimidating, but she found herself following his line of sight. Anything that the clearly military stallion thought worthy of observation would be something she would not do well to neglect study of as well. It was a black unicorn who watched their procession closely, scribbling down what were likely notes as he did. Flux found it odd that two ponies so far had taken interest in Lily Dawn, but she remained silent about it. Dagger and the unicorn could work that out for themselves. Instead, she focused her thoughts on herbalism once more, eager to compile as much foreknowledge as she possessed before asking Lily anything more than cursory questions on the subject.

Lily was sure her face must have brightened slightly when Dagger praised her art. I know... It just isn't very becoming to say it myself, she thought, an amused smile crossing her features. When he regarded Flux again, he sounded gentler than before and Lily couldn't help but let the smile grow slightly. If he's relaxing that has to be a somewhat good sign, right? she mused to herself, still trying justify her earlier actions. She let out a somewhat deep breath, casting the matter aside as Dagger turned his attention to the other pony, named Ink Soul apparently. From his voice, Lily was sure he was a stallion, and given that he'd been taking notes while walking she was quite sure he was a unicorn.

As the pony introduced himself, a two things seemed to pound at Lily. Firstly, this pony was possibly one of the morose she had met. Secondly, if she took too long, her grandfather was likely to worry, and possibly become upset, and that would leave him and her both in foul moods for a good few days. Neither sat well with her. "That's a..." Lily frowned, searching for a way to express her opinion without offending the stallion, "curious way of looking at it" She glanced at where she'd last heard Dagger's voice. "Lieutenant Dagger, I have no objections to him coming if he'd like, but I don't believe we can afford to dawdle much longer if I'm to harvest anything of use."

Novelist and poet, eh? Dagger had no problem with writers. His little brother wrote songs and poems. It was a fine profession for the right pony. Furthermore, this pony, this Ink Soul, seemed more trustworthy then the others. Dagger doubted there was any more to the story than what he had given. He nodded and shook the hoof extended to him.

Dagger then turned to Lily. "Very well, kid. If you want to let yet another stranger follow you to where you're going then that's your decision. Doesn't concern me none."

The Honor Guard officer gave a shrug. "But in that case, we should definitely hurry onward. Let's hope yet another pony doesn't crawl out of the woodwork to stalk us."

Ink Soul looked at Dagger, and nodded. Putting down his hoof, he looked at the group. "Hopefully I'll not be a bother, but a help." The black unicorn smiled a bit, and looked at them all. "And thanks for trusting in me."

The black unicorn introduced himself as Ink Soul, a pony of literature. The contrasting unicorn found the name fitting, as it matched his inky coat perfectly. Briefly, the mare considered the stallion. He certainly seemed like a nonthreatening pony, just interested in information, much like herself. Now the world of novels, though a world the visited often, was never one she would have considered for herself. The finer arts hadn't ever appealed to Flux as anything beyond a medium to be appreciated and admired, but never dabbled in. It contrasted so heavily with the world of fact she took comfort in that the unicorn could never put herself in the proper headspace for ficitional writing at the very least. Regardless, the stranger didn't seem particularly noteworthy to the mare, until she noticed a swirl of green in the stallion's orange eyes.

It would seem today is quite the day for unique eyes, Flux commented to herself, wondering how such luck could grace her. Ink Soul's eyes were much more of a puzzle of pony genetics, which was another subject that Flux lacked anything more than a cursory knowledge of. There was truly so much to learn about, that Flux doubted she would ever stop her quest for knowledge. Deciding not to betray her interest too quickly, she just nodded at the unicorn in a friendly way and returned her focus to Lily Dawn, who seemed to trust the stallion as well. Then, she chimed into the discussion between Dagger and Lily to give her agreement. "I have no objections to pressing onward," she stated simply, bobbing her head rather than fuly nodding in a more unconscious reaction to the suggestion

Lily Dawn nearly let out a heavy sigh, but managed to stop herself this time. Good, it seems we're in agreement then, she thought as Dagger acquiesced to her request. He seemed less hesitant about the stallion than he had been towards Flux, so that must have meant something about the writer. Admittedly she was slightly uncomfortable with the idea of the new stallion, Ink Soul would be doing. What possible ideas could he gather from something like this...? "He knows his art best..." she mumbled under her breath, turning slightly in the novelist's assumed direction when he seemed to be addressing her.

She forced a smile at Ink Soul's words. "It's nothing Ink Soul. Thank you as well, I appreciate your kindness." Hopefully we can get moving along now, they can talk all they want on the way there. The pink earth pony turned to Dagger and gave a gentle nod. "Let's be off then. If you would be so kind Lieutenant..." she said softly, slightly embarrassed that she wasn't quite sure where the honor guardspony was standing at the moment.

"Alright then," Dagger started with a nod as he began to move in the same direction as before. "Follow the sound of my voice. We should get to the outskirts of town before long."

He continued ahead at a steady pace. He supposed it was somewhat fortunate that the other ponies had joined them. A larger group made it easier for Lily to move around without running into something.

Of course they still had a little ways to go, and some conversation could help liven some things. Maybe he could learn a little more about these ponies along the way. Dagger nodded and then decided to speak to the other stallion. "So you say you're a novelist, Ink Soul? You have any published works yet?"

Ink Soul trotted along after them, looking about at the birds and the sky, the mountain tops and the roads. No bother coming up with ideas...this was its own sort of story, being written out in the path they took. Hearing Dagger's questions, the stallion looked up and put his notebook away and placing it back in his vest pocket.

"Ah, yes. I have had at least a couple published, though they never really took of. The feeling of finishing even a small poem gives you this feeling of accomplishment, so some of the stories I have written never were published, but I always keep them hidden away in my dad's cafe." Then, Ink's attention was grabbed by a small pebble in the dust, and picked it up with his horn. Dusting it of, the pebble shimmered in the light, a small, crystalline emerald glow. Tucking it away, he hurried back over. "Sorry, I have an eye for things, so I couldn't resist..."

• 2 weeks later...

Quantum Flux had been absorbed deeply into her own thoughts once again when Dagger spoke. It was unexpected for the white unicorn, pulling her out of her reverie and focusing her on the black unicorn once more. Again, the writing process was something oddly mysterious to the mare and so she did listen as Ink Soul spoke. It may not have been an area of particular interest for her, but the unicorn was a seeker of information and wouldn't just pass up a possible chance at learning, even though she didn't foresee a use for it. She had found that a bit of knowledge of some more obscure topics might be of help someday, even writing was a craft that could be of help to her.

Success was something hard-sought among writers, she found, so Ink Soul seemed to be more fortunate than most. It was the stallion's talent, but a competitive market was not always easily traversed, even by those with true talent. However, the scientist found herself oddly interested in reading whatever published works the stallion had. She made a mental note to search for some on her next library trip. His discovery of the emerald pebble caught her attention as well. "An eye indeed," she commented, having seen the shimmer herself as he lifted it. "It seems your eye is not just for good influences for your writing. Speaking of, you mentioned a cafe of your father's? Would that be here in Canterlot, by any chance?" The unicorn found herself being oddly chatty for a mare on a mission. However, she found her interest piqued by discovering a bit about each of her companions. My interest is obviously a fickle thing, she noted dryly.

Lily smiled slightly as Dagger began to move. Truthfully, it would be somewhat easier to move along now, the sound of multiple sets of hoofsteps moving together was far easier to pick up that just one. Plus, with a group this large, she doubted anyone would remain in their path; making the situation a great improvement on the previous arrangement.

At least in theory, she thought as the others turned their attention to Ink Soul, idly chatting with the stallion. Lily admittedly didn't get an opportunity to talk to ponies other than her grandfather outside the business setting. Don't get her wrong, the ponies who visited were always quite polite and friendly, they merely weren't exactly there for a social visit and acted as such. As the two stallions discussed Ink Soul's writing, she couldn't help but feel a tinge of jealousy. The worst part was she knew exactly why, at least partially. There was nothing she could add to their chat, nothing she could pipe in to make this bit of social activity somewhat memorable. On top of that, she would never really know what to say even if she tried to participate. Lily had just learned to read when she had accident. Learning braille... well that had been an endeavor all it's own; one she still felt hadn't truly been worth the time since there were precious few books to be found in the special text. Whatever Ink Soul had written would elude her lest she could find someone to read it off to her, something she was far too embarrassed to ask anyone, even her grandfather, to do. There was a rustle and the conversation changed subjects, something about a 'good eye'.

Again, another conversation to pique her irritation. Still, the change was enough to rescue the earth filly from the deep depths of her thoughts. Lily realized she'd been pouting and quickly let her smiling facade retake it's comfortable position on her face. She didn't want to worry those around, they were making her trip to the city's edge more manageable by coming along after all. Lily simply trotted on, staying close to Dagger's side, and hoped those around her had missed the slip.

Dagger nodded at what Ink Soul said. Quantum Flux's motives continued to be rather hard to define, but she now seemed to have some interest in Ink Soul's eyes, which come to think of it were a kind of odd color. Interesting. Dagger supposed that meant that with his entirely normal blue eyes he was the least interesting here to the mare. Heh. He almost felt left out.

As they continued, he noticed some peculiarity with Lily. She lost step. Her breathing changed slightly, and anxiety appeared on her face. Something about the conversation didn't set right with her. After a moment of thought, it seemed clear to him. The pony likely was dejected about her lack of sight and how it prevented her from reading. Talk of written works was a bitter reminder of the things she couldn't do. How sad.

"Ah, so you write poetry too?" Dagger started in reply to Ink Soul, deciding to continue the conversation but point it a little differently, perhaps. "My little brother dabbles in poetry. He's got some real talent for it. He's a little more of a songwriter though, I suppose.... Guess it's more or less the same thing in a lot of ways. Well... a good song's maybe a little easier for a pony like me to appreciate; something about how some pretty words sound set to music sound and imagery it can evoke..."

He gave a sigh. "Of course, I can't write music, poetry or prose. It's one of those few things I have no talent for. All I can do is appreciate what others produce. But eh, I guess that's enough..."