[Fillydelphia] Day Shift at Rock and Rhythm Records

DeepBass

"Yeah... you got me good, I'll give you that. Curse my inabillity to see the obvious in front of my eyes!" joked Beat, shaking a hoof in playful anger. before becoming a little more serious. "So... I gotta ask... I'm not sure what it is... but your name kinda rings a bell for me. I know I've heard it somewhere before... and I can't honestly say that it's from your music... I'd never heard it before, or recognized your band... no offense. But did you ever get that feeling that you know somepony from somewhere and you're not 100% sure of where? asked Beat, as he scratched his head.

Bass smiled innocently, as the red pony shook his hoof in mock anger. "So... I gotta ask... I'm not sure what it is... but your name kinda rings a bell for me. I know I've heard it somewhere before... and I can't honestly say that it's from your music... I'd never heard it before, or recognized your band... no offense. But did you ever get that feeling that you know somepony from somewhere and you're not 100% sure of where?"

Bass chuckled, and waved a hoof.

"You know, I have no clue, bud. I know quite a few ponies, to be honest. I don't really recognize you at all."

Just then, the bell over the door rang, signaling the arrival of another hopeful customer. A pale yellow unicorn mare with ruby red eyes, and a straight red mane with white stripes cantered through the door, a broken record in her horn's thrall.

"Hey, Bass! I broke another one."

"You know, I have no clue, bud. I know quite a few ponies, to be honest. I don't really recognize you at all."

Beat sighed to himself. He hated having that 'Where do I know you from?' feeling. As he was about to inquire further... the store's door opened with the sound of a bell, as a somewhat short unicorn entered the store. A broken record dangled from her horn, as she spoke.

"Hey, Bass! I broke another one"

Beat turned to Bass, nudging his head in the unicorn's direction. "Friend of yours?" he asked.

Bass planted a hoof to his forehead, just before the pony spoke. "Friend of yours?"

Bass sighed, and smiled at the pony.

"Yeah, we went to the academy, together, and have been friends ever since."

Bass turned, and looked at the mare, then quickly slapped his hoof to his forehead, again.

"Midsy, you gotta stop breaking records like that. This isn't the music academy. We can't just keep spending our budget on records every time you break one."

Midsy rolled her eyes.

"Yes, I know, but the crowd likes the 'Midsy Flip...'"

The mare looked at the red pony, and quickly trotted up to him and Bass, her more energetic nature being spewed out like a bad breakfast, a giant grin pasted to her face.

"Ooh! Who's this?! Hi! I'm Mid Wobble! But you can call me Wobble... or Midsy. All my friends call me Midsy." She nudged the red pony, with a foreleg, giggling. "If you know what I mean."

"Yeah, we went to the academy, together, and have been friends ever since." sighed Bass, with a smile.

"Academy?" pondered Beat, as Bass turned to the unicorn.

"Midsy, you gotta stop breaking records like that. This isn't the music academy. We can't just keep spending our budget on records every time you break one."

"Music academy? Wait a sec... those bells are ringing louder now..." thought Beat, memories starting to flow through his head.

"Yes, I know, but the crowd likes the 'Midsy Flip...'" pouted the unicorn, as she approached Beat with a big grin on her face.

"Ooh! Who's this?! Hi! I'm Mid Wobble! But you can call me Wobble... or Midsy. All my friends call me Midsy... if you know what I mean" she said, nudging Beat with her hoof.

"Oh, good to meet you then Midsy. I'm Thunder Beat. Everyone just calls me Beat for short." explained Beat, with a smile on his face. "She's a lively one..." thought Beat as her name floated around in his head. Mid Wobble... Midsy... now that one started sounding familiar too... Midsy and Deep Bass... the music academy... *SNAP!*

And then it hit him like a ton of bricks.

"The Fillydelphia School for Musical Foals!" exclaimed Beat as his eyes lit up. "I knew I remembered that name from somewhere! We totally went to the same school!" he shouted, happy to finally figure it out.

Bass simply stood back, and watched, as Midsy went off on her (more than likely) coffee-and-candy-induced rant, and began scratching his chin in thought once more, as the red pony spoke again. "Oh, good to meet you then Midsy. I'm Thunder Beat. Everyone just calls me Beat for short." Now, Bass was starting to wonder where he had heard that name before. To be honest, it was the second thing on his mind. Any moment, now, Bass was expecting Midsy to start bouncing around, singing something along the lines of "I made a new friend today." It didn't bother him, but he was sure that it would've been kind of awkward for Beat, and that's bad for business. Now, what Bass wasn't expecting was what actually happened. The pony shouted, breaking Bass's train of thought. "The Fillydelphia School for Musical Foals! I knew I remembered that name from somewhere! We totally went to the same school!"

Bass shot back, in surprise. Not from the revelation, but from the sudden outburst. After a split second, Bass finally grasped what the pony was saying. Apparently Midsy did, too. She stood, staring at Beat with an expression of disbelief.

After a short silence, Bass finally spoke up.

"I knew I recognized your name from somewhere, too!"

"Really, Bass? You sure? I mean, there are a lot of ponies in Equestria, and I mean A LOT of ponies... and Griffons... and Dragons... animals, and even plants, for that matter! I could go on all day!"

Bass looked at the energetic yellow mare, and gave her an odd look.

"Please... don't." Bass turned back to Beat, and grinned. "So, it's good to see another classmate around here, after all these years. Most of them have turned tail and left town, by now."

"I knew I recognized your name from somewhere, too!" exclaimed Bass as Midsy piped up. "Really, Bass? You sure? I mean, there are a lot of ponies in Equestria, and I mean A LOT of ponies... and Griffons... and Dragons... animals, and even plants, for that matter! I could go on all day!"

Bass looked at Midsy, giving her an 'Oh boy... here she goes again' look. "Please... don't." he begged before turning back to Beat with a grin. "So, it's good to see another classmate around here, after all these years. Most of them have turned tail and left town, by now." he explained.

Beat cringed. "Ooh... uh... that's awkward... that's kinda what I did, heh... I only just stopped back in town to visit my folks. I saw the store here and thought it might be good to pick up a few records while I'm at it. I was... kind of planning on leaving town soon." explained Beat, as he grinned nervously, trying to make the situation feel a lot less awkward than it was. "But uh... certain opportunities have come up that might have persuaded me to stick around for a while. I heard through the grapevine that a bassist was looking for a band. I myself was in that same predicament. Figured I might seek him out." hinted Beat with a sly grin.

Bass raised an eyebrow, as he saw the pony cringe, and begin speaking again. "Ooh... uh... that's awkward... that's kinda what I did, heh... I only just stopped back in town to visit my folks. I saw the store here and thought it might be good to pick up a few records while I'm at it. I was... kind of planning on leaving town soon. But uh... certain opportunities have come up that might have persuaded me to stick around for a while. I heard through the grapevine that a bassist was looking for a band. I myself was in that same predicament. Figured I might seek him out."

Bass opened his mouth to speak, only to be beaten to the punch by his friend. "You mean Bass? He's been looking for a band for like... Ever!" After a second, she gasped. "NO! You're not gonna take my best friend ever away, are you?! Can you take me, too? We're a package deal, you know."

Bass let off an awkward smile. "She is a pretty musical mare. I don't know where I'd be without her."

The hyperactive and bubbly Mid Wobble interrupted Bass before he had a chance to speak. "You mean Bass? He's been looking for a band for like... Ever! NO! You're not gonna take my best friend ever away, are you?! Can you take me, too? We're a package deal, you know."

Bass smiled awkwardly as he turned to Beat. "She is a pretty musical mare. I don't know where I'd be without her."

Beat smiled back. "Well I'm not going anywhere just yet!" explained Beat, as he chuckled. "I was gonna stop home and catch up with my parents first. Plus we don't have to leave Filly straight away either. I've got nowhere else to be, so it's up to you guys. But if or when we leave, you'd totally be welcome to join us, Midsy" said Beat, not wanting to get too far ahead of himself.

Bass smiled at Midsy as Beat smiled, and chuckled. "Well I'm not going anywhere just yet! I was gonna stop home and catch up with my parents first. Plus we don't have to leave Filly straight away either. I've got nowhere else to be, so it's up to you guys. But if or when we leave, you'd totally be welcome to join us, Midsy."

At this point, not even Bass was expecting Midsy's next plan of action, and he jerked back as the yellow mare began bouncing up and down.

"WOOHOO! YESYESYESYESYESYESYES!"

After recovering from the shock of the unexpected, Bass raised a hoof to Beat, and grinned.

"Well, Beat, it looks like you've got yourself a bassist, vocalist, and a keyboard...ist?"

"WOOHOO! YESYESYESYESYESYESYES!" shouted Midsy in joy as she bounced around. Bass looked shocked, but Beat took it in stride. He could relate to hyperactivity pretty well on occasion. As Bass recovered, he grinned and spoke. "Well, Beat, it looks like you've got yourself a bassist, vocalist, and a keyboard...ist?"

"Awesome!" exclaimed Beat as he extended a hoof. "Alright guys, put your hooves in. On three! To the band!"

Bass took a mental note at Beat's handling of Midsy's attitude, and thought to himself for a second, then was cut short in his thoughts by Beat's voice. "Alright guys, put your hooves in. On three! To the band!"

Bass, being the calm and collected type, usually, pressed his hoof to Beat's, and was quickly followed by two more hooves from a smiling pale yellow mare. "Yeah! To the band!"