[Canterlot] Journal I: Night Lessons (Closed)

From the surprised look on the filly's face who opened the door, Luna wondered if she had the wrong house. “Oh!” she exclaimed, her wings flailing in surprise as she stepped back a few paces from the door. She was trying to formulate an apology, though she had been sure this was the right house... In addition to checking the address, it was the only house with a light still on on the entire street. But, even princesses made mistakes.

However, she was unable to get a word in when she found her royal shoes being slobbered—nay merely kissed—upon. But at least she managed to make out that this was indeed the correct house, and she hadn't rudely aroused somepony from their sleep or studies. That was a relief, to be sure.

But was she ever exuberant. Luna plucked the pocket mirror from the filly with her magic, barely able to examine it for a moment before her attention was drawn back to the blabbering Unicorn. She could hardly believe her ears... Somepony who had heard of her, and actually cared? Not only that, but she willingly disputed the reputation that the history books had paved for her.

“The uh... extravagance is really not necessary.” Luna looked down at the bowing Unicorn. She had been practicing speaking normally—or, well, modernly. Judging by the letter, however, this pony wouldn't mind in the least if she slipped into old tongue.

“Pray tell, are we to believe we are in the presence of Blaze Bright?” she dipped her head, awaiting a response.

• 2 weeks later...

At the mare’s words, Blaze immediately straightened up. In her excitement, she’d forgotten proper decorum and presentation. She raised herself to all four of her feet, but bowed her head once more, this time in apology. “We are sorry, dearest Princess, but it is an honor we are not fully aware that we have encountered. Thou are a ruler of Canterlot alongside dearest Princess Celestia, and as such, is high enough on the social chain that we knew not what to expect.” She curtseyed and smiled brightly at the Princess.

Clearing her throat, she spoke, “I am indeed Blaze Bright. Author and occasional firework maker…when the inspiration strikes, that is.” She opened her saddlebag once more to levitate a hot, horn-baked chocolate chip muffin along with a bottle of Sweet Apple Whiskey imported from Ponyville. Resisting the urge to bow again as though she was offering tribute, Blaze offered them to the mare with an earnest smile and positioned herself with dignity. “We have prepared refreshments for thee. You simply must have one of these muffins, Princess Luna. We have attempted a method separate of that of convention, and used our skill in fire magic to cook these entirely by horn. And please, hold on to that bottle of whiskey. Tis for you, although we have also taken the liberty of bringing one more for thou sister, should she be allowed to partake of -ahem- such, common things…”

She walked outside, staring up at the sky, before looking quickly back to the Princess. Blaze meant to make the mare feel at home among her subjects, and could feel she felt as though she was walking on eggshells with gestures like that. The blush on her coat was now becoming more noticeable, for Blaze’s bright red slowly became an interesting shade of pink.

“But, erm, as we were. It is certainly an honor to meet you. Tonight, we will travel, and in that time, I will ask you so many of the questions I’ve only developed after my short stint in university, and I expect none, though if thou should feel the inclination, feel free to ask away.” Said Blaze, as she stepped away from her door and onto the path eastward, leading away from her home.

• 2 weeks later...

Luna smiled at the comment. She assumed that most everypony knew how to compose themselves around Princess Celestia, and really, she should be no different. Sure, she was a bit more used to old customs, but she'd been trying to adjust to an entirely new world. She and Celestia should technically be equals, and thus be treated the same way.

Ah, so she made fireworks. Of course that wasn't too hard to guess, judging from the Cutie Mark. A fine talent, that was. In Blaze Bright's case, it seemed that she was able to choose between her talent being a career, or a hobby... whichever she preferred. Although one still as young as she had a little time to better decide a more solid path in life.

She saw Blaze duck her head as she offered another gift, perhaps second guessing her action. Bowing as a greeting was alright, but doing it repeatedly was just likely to make both parties dizzy—and waste a lot of time. Simply nodding would suffice, should the subject feel the need to show respect.

“I'll see that she gets it, nevertheless.” Luna gave a small smile. It wasn't whether or not Celestia drank, but moreso her preference of drinkage. Being a princess could be quite a demanding job, and there were those few times when either of the sisters had allowed their mind and body to slip into the oblivion of a bottle or two.

She followed Blaze, breathing in the crisp night air. She inhaled deeply, giving a contented sigh. Though the night may have been lonely many a time, the fact remained that it was still her time, her realm. She knew every star, every constellation... Celestia had kept all of it unchanged in her absence. It was the only constant she had left to hold onto. Even her own sister had changed so much in that time.

“I am completely yours for the evening.” Luna nodded her head once to solidify the statement. She did notice Blaze's color change lightly... or so she thought. Moonlight reflected differently on things than the sun did. Of course, being this close to a princess would probably put anypony on edge, no matter which princess it was.

Celestia had actual private time with very few ponies, as most of her duties and meetings took place in more public settings. So perhaps a meeting like this was a bit unusual. Or perhaps she had not been entirely truthful in her confession of dismissing history, and was the slightest bit afraid. Even without the legend of Nightmare Moon, Alicorns were quite a bit more powerful than any one pony... and Luna supposed that could be a bit daughting.

Still, she walked along beside Blaze, just a step or two behind being neck and neck with her. She still carried the three objects with her, floating above her with a faint glow. It was a little awkward having to constantly direct and hint of focus so as not to drop them, but she was managing.

Only just then did she remember the muffin, which was edible and could be consumed immediately. She levitated it in front of her face, taking in the scent of it first. It was still quite warm, perhaps having to do with its imbued magic.

She bit it in half, and chewed slowly at first, allowing her tongue to caress the crumbling baked good. She savored the flavor, allowing it to sit in her mouth a moment longer before she swallowed. There were so many new things in Equestria that she needed to try, one of the most versatile being food.

“Mmmm.” she sighed, popping the other half into her mouth and eating it much more quickly. Her mouth already had the flavor in it, so there was no more need to savor. Still, she licked around her lips just to be sure she got every crumb. “That was quite delicious. Wherever did you get the recipe?”

• 3 weeks later...

"Wouldst thou hang me if I refrained from telling?" the filly joked, "Not that I could ever hide anything from your majesty, but it is a recipe that involves a complex amount of mathematical equation."

She giggled to herself before continuing. "Which in all honesty, means that my sister, Ashsmoke was responsible for the recipe, and has forbade me from sharing this information with anypony else." Blaze paused and leaned close to the princess after doing a double take to see if anypony was around her.

"It involves trace amounts of cinnamon, as well as vanilla extract. Super heated by one's horn for at least five minutes." she whispered, giggling once more before continuing on.

Blaze took the princess along the route leading away from the cottages, to the falls under the castle looming over the pastures and the residences outside of it. Agonizing over her first question, she refrained from saying much more whilst she continued to walk. It was important that she have reason to bring the princess outside of her home, where she could be sleeping right now. Her time was valuable, Blaze's, was not. But why weren't the queries coming? Was it because it was all too related to her past? Princess Luna had disappeared for an entire millennium. Her past rule was over. Was it something she was proud of or not?

"To begin, dear Princess, I wish to know... The books have portrayed you with a certain...lack of attention to detail. Thou doesn't look much anything like what I am walking with now. A Brief History of the Royal Family and Goddess: Sun and Moon have yielded information which suggests that somehow, you were anything less than benevolent. But, more admirably, that you pursed the answers to important matters alone, and of your own strength, while Princess Celestia continued the system of dependency that has become an ideology in this kingdom. Was your way not more effective? Does a pony not stand on all four of their own hooves to get the job done?"

• 1 month later...

“You may be surprised at the amount of mathematical knowledge I have acquired in the past couple thousand years. I've had quite a bit more time to devote study to such things.” she smiled. For somepony who seemed to have studied her personal history, Blaze was quick to forget just how old Luna was. Although the comment about “hanging” nagged Luna a bit, as something like that was always quite unorthodox.

“And don't worry about that.” Luna winked at her. “Your secret is safe with me.”

They walked along in silence for a bit. Luna was content, as she was frequently lost in thought. However, it was a bit awkward considering the Unicorn had been the one to request her presence. Surely she had things to say and ask? She did wonder where they were going though. It didn't much matter to her, but was there a reason this business could not be conducted inside Blaze's residence? Luna did much enjoy the outdoors, but she also liked to be informed.

She cleared her throat before answering the questions. “It's a bit complicated. Celestia is the guardian of the daytime hours, when all ponies are awake. Or, well, most of them.” she looked at Blaze Bright. “Therefore, she must conduct business with everypony, take care of diplomacy, resolve trivial issues... well, all the general royal duties.”

“She took the throne quite young, you know. But I, being the guardian of the night, have always had a lot of free time to devote to whatever I pleased. Celestia was always groomed to take over the kingdom, and I was groomed to be a princess, but more often than not I was left to my own devices. That was especially true once I took over the moon. Nopony was ever awake, so I could do what I pleased. Study, draw, invent, create, write, paint, build... well, anything, really. Celestia was constantly busy. Every day she'd have to pull herself away from working to get some sleep and have a meal. But running a kingdom is a big job. There was always something to be done.”

“So I had a lot of time to think, too. Time that Celestia could not allow herself. But...” Luna sighed wistfully, “things were already in motion at that time. Celestia was older, and everypony liked her better, and anyway, she was the one running the kingdom while I just sat by. So... my ideas involving change weren't really well received. But—” Luna pursed her lips. “—I always had some endeavor or another to keep me occupied. I wasn't always successful in everything I did.”