Working the Kinks Out [Closed - PM for invite]

Bramble Rose

Working the Kinks Out [Closed - PM for invite]

Rainbow Dash waited impatiently, pacing in a circle around the stargazing hilltop just outside of town. She flexed her wing experimentally ... the waiting was interminable. They'd let her out of the hospital ... but she still hadn't been able to fly for days. DAYS. Not without her wing seizing up in pain. Even with her discovery of Daring Do books, she was getting ... antsy. She needed to fly, not read about Daring Do flying!

And even now, when she could finally get airborne, the doctors didn't want her flying alone. They'd assigned her a physical therapy *partner* so they could keep an eye on each other. Didn't they understand? She was Rainbow Dash! The best flier in Equestria! She couldn't be reined in by some slowpoke pegasus with a busted wing!

But they'd exacted a promise from her, and Rainbow Dash always kept her promises. So here she was, waiting. She hated waiting SO MUCH. Experimentally, she fluttered her wings, lifting herself a hand or two above the ground. Her wing was sore, but no more than if she'd slept on it wrong. She just needed to flex it out, get a few miles worth of flying in.

Maaaaan, when was he going to *get* here!?

Tobias sighed as he was heading for the hill outside of town to meet his flying therapy partner. Tobias was a red pony with a wild mane that was light blue with white streaks. The tail was the same colors and his left wing was injured, and he has green eyes. He didn't think he would ever be able to get help with flying again but apparently they found someone to join him in the therapy. He was wondering who it would be but he heard it was someone that just got released from the hospital from a failed flying trick. He got closer to the hill and saw a blue pony with a rainbow main and tail he was wondering was it really Rainbow Dash THE Rainbow Dash! He was getting a little bit nervous now knowing that it was Rainbow Dash that he was going to doing flying therapy with. He goes up the hill. "Hehe sorry I'm late Rainbow Dash really I'm sorry." He scratches the back of his head nervously.

Rainbow Dash brightened upon seeing a pegasus finally approaching. Yeah, his wing looked like it'd been hurt pretty bad. She smiled at his greeting, but then her face went blank. "Hi there, uh ..." Ponyfeathers. What had the docs said his name was? It was some weird name... "Storm Buster? Tomb Bless? What was your name, again?" She dropped the two inches down to the ground and offered her hoof in greeting. "Nice to meet you, anyway! Yer not gonna slow me down, are you?"

Tobias smiled see she had a brighter face when she saw him coming and then she forgot his name. He was kinda disappointed by that but she must've had a lot more on her mind so he didn't blame her. But really Storm Buster and Tomb Bless. He saw her put out her hoof and he took it and shook her hoof. "Hehe I'm uh Tobias Salil its nice to meet you Rainbow Dash. After I had a friend help me to fly up to Cloudsdale I was at the young flyers competition rooting you on. Also um I hope I...I uh dont slow you down." He looked away with a disappointed face again. He knew he couldn't keep up with her because of his wing but he didn't want to tell her because he would feel embarrassed at the fact.

Rainbow Dash blinked at Tobias' disappointment, a bit of a hollow pit forming in her stomach. She was in a cranky mood for being downed for a couple days... and he hadn't been able to fly for months? The very thought horrified her. Poor guy. "Oh," she said, a little meekly. "Um. Rainbow Dash. Nice to meet you." She shook his hoof mildly. "Ah-heh. Um. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do great." Maybe the doctors did trust her ... maybe they just needed her awesomeness to help this guy. "And I'll help! I'm a GREAT trainer!"

She hovered up into the air, feeling awkward. "So, uh ... Toe Biosla-whatnow? Man, that's a weird name ... that musta been rough in school! I had enough problems with name-calling, and I have an awesome name!"

Tobias laughs at the mention of his name being weird. "I guess its weird but I wasn't made fun of to much because well I was one of the top flyers in my flight school....ok I cant say I wasn't made fun of I was. But I didn't quite care what they said because I always came out on top of the class so I didn't care what the bullies said because usually they never out did me. But ya...then this happened." Held up his wing that had half of it missing. "Then I got made fun of a lot more and lost some of my friends and that's when I went traveling Equestria myself." But then he smiled at when she said she would help him. "But Im glad that you can help me I really hope you can help me get flying a bit better."

Rainbow Dash winced panifully. He was the best flier in his class, and then this happened? Dash had been horrified at the thought of being laid up for a few days ... he'd needed help to get to the Young Flier's competition? How long had he been laid up?! The thought horrified Dash, and she mentally shied away from it. "Well, um... no worries, we'll do everything we can! Cause we're a team, right?" She lifted her hoof for a hoof-bump, then stepped away a bit for some room, facing away so he wouldn't see the scared expression on her face. What could she do to help when he had a wing like that? Well, the important thing was to keep his spirits up.

"First, let's do some proper stretches." She said, still not looking at him, but making sure her voice was bright and excited as she could make it. She stretched out first one hind leg, then the other, then stood on both hind legs as she leaned low over her front legs, stretching them out along the ground, letting out a soft "nnnnnnngh". Then came the really important stretches - the wing stretches. She was a lot more careful about those, flexing them in and out, in and out, up and down, up and down, feeling the soreness in the one game wing that told her flying was still going to be a bit of a trial for her, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Tobias smiled and nodded. "Ya we are a team!" He gave Dash a hoof-bumb back. "I really like you helping me Dash thanks really." He saw Dash look away for a moment and wondered why she looked away. He wouldn't worry about it now though because he needed to start working out with Dash. Tobias started stretching out just like Dash was stretching standing on his hind legs and stretching down to his hoofs. He then looked over at Dash noticing she was still not looking at him for some reason. He hoped that he didn't scare her with his story. He then started stretching his wings too. He stretched them in and out then up and down. He wanted to know if he scared her our not now would be a good time. "Um I hope I didn't scare you with the story of my wing...I didn't mean to scare you like that." He still continued to stretch.

Rainbow Dash let out a snort. "What, me? Scared? I'm Rainbow Dash! I don't get scared!" Except her fear of letting him down, of course, but he didn't need to know that. Not that it was being *scared*, exactly ... she just needed to make sure she did her job well.

Oof, that wing was sore. Even that short hover had it throbbing. Well, a good strong flight should work that soreness out! But she needed to make sure Tobias was up to it, first. She finished her stretches and started her wings a-flutter, lifting up into the air, and offering her hoof down to Tobias. "Shall we take a few short laps around the field to test out how we're doing?"

Tobias noticed she wasn't really scared about his wing but she did seem nervous about something. He wanted to know what she was nervous about but didn't want t really push the issue with her if she didn't want it pushed. "Well if you say so I wont push the matter any further then." He wouldn't push it now but maybe later. He tried to make himself hover and he could do that at least a little he wasn't sure what his limits would be or if he could fly fast or not because he hasn't tried to fly much since the accident happened. "Ya I can try I just dont know my limits since I haven't flown since the accident happened." He was ready to fly now he was just waiting now for Dash to start flying to so they could start.

Rainbow Dash nodded encouragingly to Tobias, then her wings buzzed and she lifted up into the air. "Then we'll start nice and easy, just like back at flight camp!" she encouraged him. Of course, the drill instructor at flight camp had pushed them all really hard, but Tobias didn't need to know that. She started off in graceful circling glides around the field, taking it easy, just thrilling to the feel of the wind through her fur and feathers once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Tobias nodded smiling. "Ya thanks Dash its pretty encouraging to just have you here helping me since your the best flier I've ever seen." He then lifted himself up at least 5 feet above the ground and started flying around with her. It felt pretty good to have the wind in his mane again. He smiled trying to go a bit faster trying to catch up with Dash. He eventually did since she didn't seem to be going as fast as she usually went. "This feels great to fly again the wind in my mane the thrill of flying especially with another pegasus." He really did enjoy having be able to fly with one of her favorite flyers around. He smiled and kept flying with Dash hoping that his wings wouldn't give out like the other times.

Rainbow Dash glanced back over her shoulder from time to time, looking past her streaming rainbow tail to watch how Tobias was doing back there. He seemed a bit awkward in the air, and she circled around to watch him a bit. Her own wing felt sore, but fine - she couldn't imagine what he was going through.

"Hey, you're gonna wear yourself out that way! You're flapping way too much! Don't worry about flying yet - just get back into the hang of gliding! You'll probably pull to the side a bit, so get used to that for a bit, first!"

• 2 weeks later...

Tobias looked forward at Dash flapping as hard as he can but still flying a bit awkwardly. He saw that Dash would look back at him every once and awhile happy that she was looking out for him. He then watched as she flew back around next to him. She gave him a good tip to star with gliding instead trying so hard to fly. He started to glide a little feeling it being a bit easier then trying to fly at the moment. He looked over to Dash and smiled. "Thanks for the tip this feels a lot easier then trying to flap my wings." He glided next to Dash trying to keep next to her and he was pretty successfully. He was hoping this would last for awhile because he enjoyed Dashes company and thought they could be good friends from this event.

Dash took Tobias round and round the field for a while, following the way where his weaker wing would make him naturally turn that way, anyway. Then she did a deadpony's turn to glide back in the other direction, so that he could practice banking in a rather more difficult direction. She wanted to go faster *so much*, but she couldn't just leave him behind, not injured as he was... so she gritted her teeth and made herself be as patient as she could, only occassionally giving a barrel roll or a loop-de-loop because she just couldn't take the slow pace...

Finally, though, she asked, "OK, so ... gliding turns, great! Ready to get some altitude and see if you can keep a straight line?"

Fluttershy glided gracefully out of a thermal, heading out over Ponyville. Since she'd helped with the tornado to get water to Cloudsdale, she'd been doing more recreational flying than before. She didn't want to get that out-of-shape ever again. She knew she'd never be as fast as Rainbow Dash, but, then, she didn't need to be.

Speaking of her rainbow-maned friend, Fluttershy spotted Rainbow Dash flying over a nearby field. Dash wasn't moving at her full speed, but she was doing some aerobatics. Dash was still supposed to be recovering from her recent crash, and not putting any strain on her wing. Fluttershy angled her glide toward the field, diving just a bit to pick up some speed. She quickly caught up with Dash, who had stopped to hover for a moment. Flaring her wings to brake, Fluttershy stopped in front of her friend. "Now Rainbow Dash, you know the doctor said to take it easy on that wing!" she admonished, never noticing the other pegasus circling the field.

• 2 weeks later...

Tobias was enjoying gliding around with Rainbow Dash but he did notice she wanted to go fast in the biggest way just by the expression on her face. He also noticed though she was trying to grit it in and deal with it so she could stay with him and help. He smiled just know how well she really shows how loyal she is. He then saw her go the other way and he followed finding it a bit more difficult to fly like this but he tried going still with the difficulties. He saw that she was getting ahead of him and doing some little stunts that weren't to big. He then saw a delicate little yellow pegasus with a pink mane and tail coming towards Dash and stop her in her tracks. Tobias then stops and watches for a second and then floats over next to Dash. "Um hello. My names Tobias Salil Dashes recovery partner." He gives a warm smile to the pegasus.

Rainbow Dash back-flapped, her hooves scrambling in mid-air as Fluttershy suddenly seemed to appear right before her. "Fluttershy!" she cried in surprise. "How ... what ... " She stammered a bit as Tobias introduced himself, then confirmed, "Yeah! I'm here on Doctor's orders! I'm doing physical therapy and stuff! Gotta get my wings back up to full strength!" She hesitated, then blustered a bit, "Not that I'm not awesome just now! Just gotta stretch out a bit, you know!" She stretched out one wing, then the other ... but twitched and dropped a few feet in the air, as her wing spasmed, then came flapping back up.

Fluttershy squeaked and back-winged a bit as an unfamiliar red stallion approached Dash and her.

"Um hello. My names Tobias Salil, Dash's recovery partner."

"Err... um... recovery partner?" she stammered out in response.

"Yeah! I'm here on Doctor's orders! I'm doing physical therapy and stuff! Gotta get my wings back up to full strength!"

Oh! Now Fluttershy understood. Tobias must have some injury to his his wings as well. "Um, well, it's nice to meet you, uh, Tobias... I'm, um... Fluttershy.." she managed, nervously.

"Not that I'm not awesome just now! Just gotta stretch out a bit, you know!" Dash said, in her usual boastful manner, before dropping from position as a twinge went through her injured wing.

Fluttershy resumed her stern tone of voice toward her friend. "Rainbow Dash, you may be flying on doctor's orders, but I'm sure he also told you not to strain yourself again." She looked at both the pegusii with her, and noted that both their hovers were labored. "Um, I've helped plenty of birds recover from wing injuries. Is there anything I can do to help?"

• 3 weeks later...

Tobias watched as Dash conversed with her friend then her friend introduced herself. "Oh hello Fluttershy its nice to meet you." He gave her a bit of a reassuring smile noticing that she was acting a bit nervous and shy. He then watched as Dash tried to be her boastful self then start dropping because of her wing and then flutter back up. Then he was surprised as this shy and nervous pegasus started to have a stern voice with Dash. Tobias could definitely respect how she is shy and nice at one point then stern at another. He then noticed that she said she could help us with anything if she could but he wasn't sure what she could help with. "Personally I wouldn't mind at all if you helped I would definitely welcome it, but I'm not sure what you could help with at the moment.

Rainbow Dash instantly burst out, "No! .. I mean, yes! I mean ... " She floated in mid air, three hooves dangling as the other rubbed at the back of her head. "Kinda. Except I'm not straining myself, this is EASY stuff!" She suddenly felt all defensive, and cried out, "come ON, Fluttershy!" as she held her forehooves up, dipping forward to look her in the eyes, "I mean, I haven't flown in DAYS! I gotta let loose!"

• 2 weeks later...

Fluttershy softened her gaze on Rainbow Dash. She'd known Rainbow long enough to understand her; flying wasn't something Rainbow Dash, did, flying was something she was. Her forced grounding had been hard on her, and taking it easy would probably be harder. "Ok, Rainbow Dash," she told her friend, "I understand. But please remember you're not healed yet! You have to take it easy and get your wing back to full strength! So, um, no Wonderbolts stunts, and no Rainbooms for a while, ok?"

"Personally I wouldn't mind at all if you helped I would definitely welcome it, but I'm not sure what you could help with at the moment."

"Oh, well, um..." Fluttershy stuttered, her normal shyness reasserting itself when speaking to the unfamiliar stallion. "I know some wing calisthenics and strengthening exercises you could try... if you want to..."

Tobias watched Dash as she talked about she was so anxious to fly and do some tricks he could understand how bad she could want to go do more tricks. He could also though understand where Fluttershy was coming also because of him being there and having to take it easy after his accident. But the feeling of doing a dangerous face paced trick was something he wish he could do again so bad. "I think you both have good points. I have to say when I could fly there was nothing like doing a fast dangerous trick and pulling it off it was the best thing in Equestria. But I can understand Fluttershys point too after I lost the ability to fly I didn't want to mess up again so I tried to take good care of my wing and it might of not fully healed but it felt better."

Rainbow Dash let out a few desperate noises. "but ... but ... but ..." she sighed, and sagged her head. "Fine, whatever," she grumped. "But only to make you feel better, Fluttershy, not cause I couldn't do them if I wanted to." Dash felt anger roiling inside her ... she HAD to fly! She had to be awesome! And seeing Tobias there just made it worse ... what if ... even though her wing looked normal ... what if she, too, would never fly like she used to? But when Fluttershy had those big, sad eyes, begging you ... BAH! It wasn't fair.

Flustered and upset, Dash turned towards the horizon. "Anyway, we got the warming up out of the way. Time for a distance flight!" Her wings lifted, then dropped with a rush of wind. Dash rose into the air eagerly, her face alight with excitement and energy. "Come on!" she cried, as she rose higher and higher into the sky.

• 3 weeks later...

Tobias shrugged and watched as Dash rose. "Well I guess it is time." He started to rise a long with her. He wasn't sure how well he would do distance at the moment. But he could tell Dash really wanted it. He got up with Dash. "Hey Rainbow Dash I hope there's no hard feelings between us I was trying to be on both of your sides not trying to limit you." He hoped she didn't hate him for that he didn't want to get on the bad side of someone he would be flying next to. He couldn't wait to actually do this because its been so long since he actually was able to fly. He could tell though it was pretty much the same with Dash but a lot less longer. "So I'm ready for this are you Dash." He smirked looking over at her.