Feelings for Discord?

AgileFlourish

Hey Everypony! :D

I would love to hear what you guys and gals think of Discord :)

I personally think hes awesome :P I enjoyed the two episodes a lot. And even tho` he is considered "evil", he still made smile almost as much as Pinkie Pie :D Haha

(How can you not want to hug little Discord!?)

post-3104-0-89407700-1332253211_thumb.pn

I dunno if he's really evil per se. I'm sure this will be a topic of much debate. In fact, I'd even argue he's a martyr and his original kingdom was overthrown by the Equestrians!

Come at me, ponies! (Especially Ginger with her logic-fu.)

He's an interesting character. In my headcanon it would be neat to see him return in some way, but to help overthrow some greater evil or something (along with Trixie!). I know that will never happen, but I can dream! :mad:

I think this can look nice here...

For one I don't think he is all to bad. No one is evil to be evil, and he thinks what he is doing is good, heck if even thinks ever one must love it for he is making ever thing more fun. Heck, me and my friends think he may need a other shot, to show off he is not just evil, but a joker. He is a GOD of discord, not one of evil. He just makes ever thing more crazy, but no one got hurt from it. In truth, I think some pones may fallow him over the two gods of sun and moon.

hi hi

Rosewind's got me pegged. Indeed, I am going to have to disagree on the whole "discord's a pretty cool guy," thing. Even if he doesn't afraid of anything. :P

If you were to ask me, interfering with someone mentally would be on the same level of wrongness as interfering with them physically, if not more so. Beyond any material possessions in the world, your self is the one thing that should be unconditionally your own, not to ever be taken from you without consent. (Descartes' Second Meditation may not have been logically sound, but its not unreasonable to assume that your own thoughts form a significant part of the foundation of who you are.)

Discord didn't think he was making things more fun for anyone else but himself, he knew full well that he was making them unhappy. When he saw Twilight was miserable, he jumped for joy. He reveled as he tore their friendship apart. Far from turning Equestria into Pinkie Pie's ideal world, he left her almost totally unable to experience happiness. The tricks that made her giggle at the beginning, just made her angry after she'd been discorded.

You might not be able to see them on the surface, but emotional scars can last a long time.

Still, he was a compelling character with witty dialogue and an excellent pick for voice acting. He was the SPIRIT of discord, disharmony and conflict amongst ponies. I can't blame him for his inherent nature, but that doesn't mean anyone should have to tolerate his actions.

• Like 3

I'm not sure how anybody could say he was good. He is basically the poster child for evil. He did things for his own benefit with no regard to how much he was hurting others, despite being well aware he was hurting them. Discord is an interesting character, but you can find a character interesting without trying to defend their actions

• Like 1

Discord is the poster child for lovable antagonist. However that does not make him evil. He technically didn't hurt any pony he just changed six, making one miserable (the others weren't in any state of mind to be miserable until after twi's memory spell). That is naturally not right but not necessarily evil. He changed the world into one of chaos. That is his nature, why would you fault him for that? He is no worse than Loki. And honestly had he toned it down, it would have made for a more balanced world, as in Norse mythology. And honestly, if he was in a grand scale like the character he was based off of, Q, there would have been no issue as the universe moves towards entropy anyway.

He isn't good, he isn't evil. Like most beings he just is. And he is by far my favorite antagonist.

Discord is the poster child for lovable antagonist. However that does not make him evil. He technically didn't hurt any pony he just changed six, making one miserable (the others weren't in any state of mind to be miserable until after twi's memory spell). That is naturally not right but not necessarily evil. He changed the world into one of chaos. That is his nature, why would you fault him for that? He is no worse than Loki. And honestly had he toned it down, it would have made for a more balanced world, as in Norse mythology. And honestly, if he was in a grand scale like the character he was based off of, Q, there would have been no issue as the universe moves towards entropy anyway.

He isn't good, he isn't evil. Like most beings he just is. And he is by far my favorite antagonist.

This, all of it. And this is why i like him so.

I loved his episodes, and I really enjoyed him, but I am not sure that I ever want to see him again. It would cheapen his defeat if he managed to come back a year later.

I am going to disagree with many of you when I say he is absolutely evil:

e·vil

adjective

1.morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.

2.harmful; injurious: evil laws.

3.characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering;unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.

4.due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evilreputation.

5.marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known forhis evil disposition.

noun

6.that which is evil; evil quality, intention, or conduct: tochoose the lesser of two evils.

7.the force in nature that governs and gives rise towickedness and sin.

8.the wicked or immoral part of someone or something: The evilin his nature has destroyed the good.

9.harm; mischief; misfortune: to wish one evil.

10.anything causing injury or harm: Tobacco is considered bysome to be an evil.

Blue and Orange morality is still morally off, and thus evil. So he didn't physically hurt any one? So what? What he did to them was worse.

• Like 1

hi hi

Even if you can accept that there are many different views on morality, there are still some pretty basic core concepts that are accepted world wide as being wrong.

• Deliberately harming others. √

• Humiliation of people to diminish their psychological well-being, self-esteem and dignity. √

• Actions that cause indiscriminate destruction, pain and suffering. √

Discord was all of those things. So while it might have been his inherent nature, that nature is evil.

I think its largely unfair to the idea of Harmony to suggest that because there wasn't more Discord in Equestria, that the place was unbalanced. Harmony is, by definition, a balance between the consonant and the dissonant. So, as per Cheerliee's explanation, since discord is a lack of Harmony, he is also a lack of balance.

AgileFlourish! We must work to make a fan club for the grand the Discord.

As for alignments, he is a chaotic nature in my books. And ah think chaotic nature is the best way to go, doing what ever for the heck you wanting to do it.

hi hi

I think its largely unfair to the idea of Harmony to suggest that because there wasn't more Discord in Equestria, that the place was unbalanced. Harmony is, by definition, a balance between the consonant and the dissonant. So, as per Cheerliee's explanation, since discord is a lack of Harmony, he is also a lack of balance.

I think Discord is a representation of one part of balance. If chaos did not exist, how would we understand and know what harmony is in the first place? To understand the value of something you have to appreciate when something is unavailable or doesn't exist. His existence is a foil for Harmony, and gives it a pretty good reason to exist.

I have to agree with Starswirl's definition of Discord. His actions might be construed as fundamentally evil, but they are also his nature. To toss a bit more chaos into this argument, would an animal that kills another for food be considered evil? It's certainly hurting the thing getting eaten, but it's for a greater cause of survival. Is a function that a predator was designed to do make it evil? Discord's purpose is as a representation of chaos and disharmony, does that make him evil by nature because he's filling the role he was designed for?

Granted we don't know much of his back story, but I'm assuming he was born that way and didn't become a chaos god by choice.

Reading all the various analyses on Discord and his personality. A strange head canon formed for a crossover fic/episode. An episode where, Porky Minch phase distorts into Equestria and meets Discord. They hit it off and join forces, causing havoc and disorder through subtle psychology and outright magical power.

@Weesh and GingerMint, I'd like to suggest something quite interesting. Discord didn't actually *change* the mane 6 in the strictest sense of the word. Q, and thus by extension, Discord, does not possess that ability. He can only bring out and enhance personality traits through suggestion. If the mane 6 did not possess the inclination towards those personality traits, he would not have been able to do anything. Q (Discord) can change reality, not people/ponies. Each pony CHOSE to make that change because it was suggested by Discord, with the exception of Fluttershy. In S1 each pony showed an inclination to those negative traits at least to some degree. I believe I read from link here about the elements representing the qualities that the mane 6 hold in highest regard, not what they are the embodiment of. Fluttershy showed her ability to be mean when rejected by the animals, AJ wasn't always honest, Rarity not always generous etc... Just because they hold those qualities in highest regard does not mean that they are completely opposed towards the opposite spectrum. And that is what makes them interesting characters. If they weren't like that they would be as boring as the MLP of the past.

I was going to continue onto reiterate why Discord isn't evil, but Rosewind said essentially what I was going to say.

Discord is the Yin to Celestia and Luna's yang. He is part of the necessary balance of the world. Celestia and Luna are the pure representation of consonance (they are the combination of all three pony species in harmony within their body), Discord is the pure representation of dissonance (the combination of multiple creatures that are out of harmony within his body). Harmony can only exist with the existence of both.

I admit I like Discord. He's witty, and for some definitions of the word, funny. But that's not the main reason I like him. The main reason I like him?

He's a credible threat.

Take Nightmare Moon for example. At no point did we, as the audience think that there was no way the mane six could win without something completely from left field. With Discord, the mane six were all separated and the Elements of Harmony had failed. There was a darkest hour and it was only Celestia's timely intervention that saved Equestria.

I think that Discord was pretty much unrepentant torturer, which is actually why I like him, because that makes him a big threat.

• Like 1

I happen to like him, despite what others say.

I thought he was a fairly original, ingenius Character that had a short part in the story.

I don't believe was evil per say, as much as he wa just doing his job. He appears to represent an element of discord and chaos. So, let me compare him to my favorite dude ever, The Grim Reaper. Is he evil? Well, no. He just does his job. He represents death, and therefore it is his job to bring it. Discord is like this. He represents chaos, and therefore he must bring it. And, of course, he can do this however he would want.

That's how I see it, but there's probably some flawed logic there.

AgileFlourish! We must work to make a fan club for the grand the Discord.

As for alignments, he is a chaotic nature in my books. And ah think chaotic nature is the best way to go, doing what ever for the heck you wanting to do it.

Agreed! Maybe we should find a place somewhere, where he can do all the chaos he wants to :P And then Pinkie Pie could visit and drink Chocolate milk from the cottoncandy clouds! :D

...His actions might be construed as fundamentally evil, but they are also his nature. To toss a bit more chaos into this argument, would an animal that kills another for food be considered evil? It's certainly hurting the thing getting eaten, but it's for a greater cause of survival. Is a function that a predator was designed to do make it evil? Discord's purpose is as a representation of chaos and disharmony, does that make him evil by nature because he's filling the role he was designed for?

An animal that kills another for food is not evil. An animal that lies to other animals for the sole purpose of causing them misery is. I am honestly not understanding the other side of this debate. I've read the posts in this thread multiple times but they aren't getting through to me for some reason.

• Like 1

Since evil is a subjective term it is both easy to say that he is and is not evil. However, what is not arguable is that Discord's actions were a threat to Equestria and the ponies. He destroyed harmony. He did so through trickery and when that failed he did so through brute force. Discord's actions were entire selfish as he sought to end his own boredom through the changes to the world. While this had positive aspects on some ponies such as Pinky (I actually would have loved seeing Pinky as opposed to Rainbow as the center for the group's difficulty), the majority of Equestria was far from happy.

The fact that this is Discord's nature does not excuse his threat to Equestria. Whether Discord is evil or not is opinion, but Discord was certainly an antagonist. A very well done antagonist.