My little Dashie the movie

kunio18

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????? I saw the trailer but I didn't know they POSTPONED it. Might have to wait longer. Not might but HAVE to wait longer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

really? they're stifling creativity?

More like "Defending what's theirs"

If I make an awesome thing, and copyright it, and enjoy making money off my thing, I have the right to come get pissed at you for taking my thing and showing it off, and using it however you want without compensating me for my own work, you don't get to just take people's things without getting permission.

Heck, if you changed Rainbow Dash from a pony to a human then its the story of a man keeping a child isolated her entire life. It would be a horrifying tale of child abuse

That is why I can't stomach this story (aside from being a weak, manipulative piece of fiction as Steely mentioned). It's extremely unsettling and creepy. I get that the guy's trying to "protect" RBD but the way he tries to control every aspect of her life and the way he talks about her feels more like I'm reading from the perspective of a guy who's keeping a little girl trapped and raising her, being very careful she would never get caught in order to keep her "safe" with him forever. The way he talks about Rainbow Dash as a daughter, calling her "mine" is grody, and the way he plays "dad" makes the moments when he comments on her beauty unsettling because the writing simply doesn't capture the perspective of a father. It's not "Oh, I'm proud of who she became," it's just "wow she is sopretty."

There is nothing in the narration that convinces me the narrator is a dad - instead his comments have the tone of an admirer, which makes it really grody. This is especially true when you realize the "exercise" he brings her out for isn't enough and he recognizes that her life with him isn't as healthy as it should be since she can't get proper flying time in. He recognizes that her living with him is damaging for her, but instead of actually seeking out a solution he just keeps her trapped under that roof with him selfishly. That's not a father's actions. A father would be more concerned for the well-being of his child. Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Not to mention he has her for years without telling her who she is, which is wrong. It's gross. If he told her, she might have been able to remember who she was (through the magic of FRIENDSHIP! :3) and could plan a way to make it home. But he doesn't, because he wants her all to himself...blegh. It's extremely unsettling, it's an unhealthy relationship, it's not a father/daughter relationship is and the fact that he treats it that way is discomforting, and I couldn't finish the story for a long time because of the sour taste it left in my mouth. It was just a creepy and and uncomfortable experience all around.

Anyways, that's my two cents. I could go on but I won't just because I'm getting the heebie-jeebies just writing this much. I could probably present my case better with direct examples too, but honestly I have no desire to go back and read the story again just for argument's sake. Normally I don't like criticizing without using direct examples from the text, but...MLD gets to be an exception.

*Shiver*

• Like 6

Its also worth mentioning that it isn't hard to make MLD not so creepy. He keeps her hidden for some time, probably not years, and then one day Dash is seen flying by some lady. The lady finds out about the situation some stuff happens the guy realizes that he can't protect Dash from all the bad things in the world and still have her be happy so he gives her more freedom. There is probably some big event where Dash is revealed to the world then the other ponies come get her and erase the memories of everybody who saw her or she lives on in this world as some sort of celebrity. Its pretty by the books kid movie but definitely would be a step above creepy loner keeps a child hidden away.

The movie was good from a technical standpoint. I have read My Little Dashie as one of my first fanfics which inspired me to write.

What I am shocked at was the comments I read on Equestria Daily about it, how there was a such a negative backlash and how they disliked that this movie even was made as it brought up the fanfic. Ok, My Little Dashie is by no means the best fanfic but wow such drama.

It's because it'a a manipulative, grotesque, creepy and altogether wretched piece of work written from the point of view of a frighteningly possessive manic obsessive, and yet people are sympathizing with a story that borderlines on an unsettling reversal of Stockholm Syndrome.