[TER] Scopin' out Appleoosa [closed for now]

brianblackberry

Braeburn laughed and smiled, “Ah’ll say, airships over Appleoosa! Ah could hardly believe such a thing mahself, but stranger things have happened! Ah should tell y’all about flyin’ cactuses sometime. Ah’m curious t’see on, though – an airship, that is. Ah’ve never actually seen one ah those contraptions, cept from very far away. Do y’all own one of those incredible flyin’ doohickeys, Miss Snowfall? Not that y’all need one, bein’ a lovely Pegasus an’ all.” Braeburn slipped his Stetson back on, figuring everything must be going well – after all, everypony was smiling. Sort of. “That what yer company does? Make airships?”

He looked over to Max as the white stallion interjected. A business trip? Perhaps, but who wouldn’t want to take time out from business to get better acquainted with such a very nice Pegasus? “Alright Max – Ah kin call y’all Max, right? Anyway, Ah won’t pepper our beautiful guest with any more questions , but Ah’d be plumb tuckered if’n ah got t’know each of y’all more! After all, AAAAAPLEOOSA is the friendliest town in all the West, and we pride ourselves on getting to know and get along with everypony here.” He turned back towards Snowfall briefly and winked, “well if’n y’all want a tour of th’ orchards, or have any questions once y’all are done here, ah’d be right tickled t’answer them for y’all! An’ our orchards *are* our pride an’ joy!”

Braeburn walked over and sat in his usual spot by the Sheriff and his special marefriend – or at least, Braeburn assumed, with the way they were flirting and how much time they spent together at the hoedown and all. “Good to see you two; you’ll have to tell me if y’all ever took that trip ta get her story scoop!” Braeburn took off his Stetson and laid it on the table, “some of your finest apple cider Caramel ... I mean, Madame Bistro!” He gave a rather flirtatious wink, figuring at least she, of all the mares here, would appreciate it.

"Well, we've been absolutely bombarding you with comments, I think it's only fair for you to ask us some questions of your own about our town."

"Yes indeed, please Miss Snowfall, ask us anything about our fine town. I'm sure the Sheriff and Braeburn will be happy to answer any questions you may have, right Sheriff?"

"Yessiree! Be pleased as punch to tell ya all ya wanna know about Appleoosa!"

Everypony seemed inclined to let Snowfall now ask the questions. Well, everypony but one. Snowfall stared at the farmer as his words continued to pile up rapidly.

“Ah’ll say, airships over Appleoosa! Ah could hardly believe such a thing mahself, but stranger things have happened! Ah should tell y’all about flyin’ cactuses sometime. Ah’m curious t’see on, though – an airship, that is. Ah’ve never actually seen one ah those contraptions, cept from very far away. Do y’all own one of those incredible flyin’ doohickeys, Miss Snowfall? Not that y’all need one, bein’ a lovely Pegasus an’ all. That what yer company does? Make airships?

“Alright Max – Ah kin call y’all Max, right? Anyway, Ah won’t pepper our beautiful guest with any more questions , but Ah’d be plumb tuckered if’n ah got t’know each of y’all more! After all, AAAAAPLEOOSA is the friendliest town in all the West, and we pride ourselves on getting to know and get along with everypony here. Well if’n y’all want a tour of th’ orchards, or have any questions once y’all are done here, ah’d be right tickled t’answer them for y’all! An’ our orchards *are* our pride an’ joy!”

When she was sure the strange pony was finished speaking to her, she gave a sigh and decided to formulate a reply. Ignoring his questions wouldn't be polite after all.

"I appreciate the offer of the tour, Mr. Braeburn. I will... I'll definitely keep that in mind," she said, forcing a smile. "As for my company, we do not actually make airships. We make a variety of machine parts, some of which are used in the construction of airships."Closing her eyes and resisting an urge to sigh again, she added. "And for the record, being a pegasus does not invalidate the need for airships. The distance a single pony can travel efficiently without exhausting herself is very small in comparison to the distances airships are able to effectively cover."

Turning to the others, she nodded. "I suppose I do have some general questions about this town that perhaps you all might be able to shed some light on."

"What is a good estimate of the size of the town's population? What are its viable resources? I know you have your apple orchards, but is there anything else in particular? Does the town, as remote as it is, have any issues with criminal activity?" Snowfall asked a series of questions in an even voice, nodding to the ponies as she asked.

"Furthermore, and perhaps more importantly, there's the railroad itself. I'm sure you understand what I and Rockerfilly, along with Ms. Silverbeak have planned. Does the promise of a commerce line with Stalliongrad as well as a line to Aquelia and Rockwington mean anything to the ponies of Appleloosa in particular? Is the general opinion on the undertaking in this town positive, negative or indifferent?"

Maximilian could only tense up as Braeburn continued to talk, and talk, and talk. The Rockefilly was convinced that the farm pony was going to singlehoofedly ruin this entire project by talking Snowfall out of town. The mare from Stalliongrad simply shrugged it off and continued with business, as was to be expected from a professional of her caliber.

She started to ask some very good questions, ones that Max had prepared for. The entrepreneurial stallion grabbed a map he'd stashed nearby and rolled it open on the table.

"Well, the size really is hard to estimate, considering that we have new ponies showing up by the dozens almost every day. It's a few hundred now, but I feel like it will easily be a thousand in a matter of weeks, not counting the labor coming in."

Max tapped his chin thoughtfully."There are a few mines nearby, those are the main natural resources we have around here. Copper, Iron, some Nickel, even a few gold mines around these parts."

He glanced over at the lawpony and grinned."Criminal Activity? Well, unless you count the occasional rowdy pony at the Salt Lick, there ain't crime around these parts. Besides, anypony that tries to break the law gets a few days in the brig, courtesy of the sheriff himself!"

Max bit his lip tentatively and nodded to the others. "I believe this is a question exclusively for them to answer..."

"Yep, Miss Bistro, we'll have our usual," Sheriff Silverstar said with a nod.

"That'll be fine, Miss Bistro, thank you," added Louise as she and the mustached stallion turned to face Snowfall.

"Well ma'am, Mr Rockefilly here pretty much told ya about our population situation. We ain't had a good headcount in this town since it was founded."

"Maybe that's something we can do in the future. And to add about the crime situation here in Appleoosa, there isn't much of that to speak of."

"Louise is right, Miss Snowfall. The last outlaw band that was here moved on and ain't likely to return. Sure, ol' Pick-axe Pete'll git too much salt sometimes at the Salt Block, but other than him, all of the ponies here live peacably together."

"And I believe I can speak for all the ponies in town when I say that we'd welcome further expansion of the railroad and increased commerce with other remote parts of the Equestrian frontier."

"In fact, we're currently in negotiations with ponies from Dodge Junction about opening their markets fer our apples in exchange fer bringing their cherries to Appleoosa!"

Madam Bistro suppressed a giggle at Braeburn's slip and calling her Caramel before the V.I.P., smiling as she took his order. "All right, your orders will be coming right up" She had a light blush as she trotted behind the counter, busying herself with the coffees and foodstuffs.

The machine hissed at a proper pitch as it put forth it's frothy brews while she collected her nerves, heightened by the pressure of impressing Miss Snowfall and having two stallions flirt with her.

She moved gracefuly as she set the cups on the tray, then slices of pie topped with cream.

Another tray, loaded with the usual coffee, donuts, and a large glass of apple cider was scooted onto her back saddle as she picked up the tray for Maximillian and Snowfall on one hoof.

The Mocha Mare swayed her fully skirted hips to move forward on three hooves without hobbling -a difficult trick she made look easy.

Bistro bumped her hip gently at the first table to slide the tray on her back off and in front of the three ponies without spilling a drop.

She then set the tray in her hoof down on the table shared by the Very Important Ponies and served them their coffees and pie.

"Here we go. Please let me know if you need anything else." before busying herself with serving The Sherrif, Louise, and Braeburn.

Braeburn smiled happily. "Ah reckon that does make sense, same as an Earth pony takes th' train, though ah'll reckon y'all would be th' prettiest filly in th' skies of Appleoosa." He smiled and tipped his hat to Miss Bistro with a wink and a big ol' smile as she set their slices of pie down in front of them, admiring the way she sashayed round the joint. "an' we're eager for th' chance for more business. Our apples are fine, it's true, but we're even moreso proud of our Apple Pies, they're a right tasty treat, as y'all will shortly find out! Th' apples we grow here are specially suited fer pie-makin'."

He pondered a moment, tapping his hoof to his chin. The other ponies had already covered most of the questions quite well. "An, of course, theah's that old abandoned Diamond Dog city we found underground jes' outside of town. Why, archeologists and tourists are pourin' in t'take a gander at such a rare cultural find! Once we cleared out th' burnin' blue flyin' cactuses and th' giant train-eatin' ghost lamp, a'course."

Rockerfilly had responses ready for all her questions. Snowfall wasn't that surprised. In the short time she had known him, this pony was nothing if not prepared for whatever got thrown his way. He was doing a good job of selling this town that he had obviously taken some manner of advanced interest in, even if Snow could tell she was basically hearing a sales pitch.

She was more interested in how Silverstar and LaMare answered the questions. These two struck her as very earnest, honest ponies with a firm grasp on their town and community, so their words held weight. As they essentially confirmed what Rockerfilly had said, she bought into it a little more. Appleloosa really might be a profitable and clean town worth investing in.

As they spoke on her questions about expansion and the railroad, she nodded. They seemed to welcome it, but were still thinking local. She was talking Stalliongrad and Aquelia and they were still thinking about the next nearest frontier town, Dodge Junction. She couldn't fault that train of thought for them, but it was definitely something to make a note of.

About that time, Madam Bistro expertly served them their coffee and pie. SNowfall looked down at what she was served. She had to admit, it looked quite delicious. She was rather eager to dig in.

"Ah reckon that does make sense, same as an Earth pony takes th' train, though ah'll reckon y'all would be th' prettiest filly in th' skies of Appleoosa."

The farmer Braeburn replied to her. How crass. Was he honestly trying to flirt with her or something? And all the while he seemed to be eyeing Madam Bistro with a goofy smile on his face. It certainly didn't speak well to this pony's character, at least as far as Snowfall was concerned.

"an' we're eager for th' chance for more business. Our apples are fine, it's true, but we're even moreso proud of our Apple Pies, they're a right tasty treat, as y'all will shortly find out! Th' apples we grow here are specially suited fer pie-makin'."

This statement didn't raise any flags like the last. In fact, Snowfall was quite eager to take a bite of the pie sitting in front of her.

"An, of course, theah's that old abandoned Diamond Dog city we found underground jes' outside of town. Why, archeologists and tourists are pourin' in t'take a gander at such a rare cultural find! Once we cleared out th' burnin' blue flyin' cactuses and th' giant train-eatin' ghost lamp, a'course."

Snowfall wasn't entirely sure what an abandoned underground city had to do with anything being discussed, but she did have to admit it sounded pretty interesting. She wondered if that was the sort of thing Pathfinder would be interested in examining. Maybe she'd write her about it?

"An abandoned city, under the ground? How curious. That actually sounds like something to see," she said with a nod, honestly surprised that this pony had said anything that had remotely interested her.

Nodding, Snowfall decided to sample Madam Bistro's product. She started with the pie, taking a healthy bite of the sweet treat. The taste was quite pleasing. If it lacked the intricacies of the deserts prepared by her personal chefs, it definitely made up for it in terms of sheer flavor. She next sampled the coffee. Snowfall liked her coffee strong and was generally rather picky with the taste. She sipped at the Breakbeak Blend and nodded. It passed her test. She could maybe do a little stronger; she'd have to try this Midnight Watch next, but this was perfectly drinkable. It had a strong, rich taste with just the right hint of sweetness.

"This is quite lovely," Snowfall said as she enjoyed herself. "My compliments to you, Madam Bistro. You have an excellent product here."

Max nodded gratefully as he recieved his coffe, still mulling over everything that had been said thus far. Braeburn continued to say the wrong thing, Miss Lamare and the Sheriff were being very helpful, and Madame Bistro was bringing everything together nicely. The Rockefilly sipped his coffee, deep in thought, and let the ebony liquid brush past his lips and invigorate him with new energy. It was strong, very strong, it almost knocked the air out of him. Max smiled and looked at Madame Bistro, raising his cup.

"Madame, I've had too many cups of coffee to count, but they all pale in comparison to this. I asked for sweet as a kiss, and I believe you've fooled my lips.. Bravo." A few mind games with Braeburn wouldn't hurt, and besides, if she was still available, Max wouldn't hesitate to sweep her off her hooves.

He took another quiet sip and munched thoughtfully on his apple pie, another delectable treat.

"Miss Snowfall, the question of the Diamond Dogs has yet to be answered yet. And while I know that we can negotiate with the Buffalo, I'm less certain about our chances with the canine criminals up in the mountains. I've never dealt with them before, and I'm wondering if asking for government assistance wouldn't be the best route. I can call in some favors and secure at least a small amount of soldiers, enough to create the illusion that Equestria itself is behind this project. Maybe then we can force the diamond dogs into a favorable position, rather than trying to appease them."

Max sipped his coffee again and looked around the room. "The last thing I want is violence, I know full well how the dogs could tunnel under our town and sink it in the sand. I just don't see how we're going to reach terms with them without a show of force. Of course, I need to hear what you'd think about that, I can't just gallop in and sink the whole project myself..."

"Speaking of negotiations... Sheriff, what's our situation with the buffalo? Would we be cleared to enter their land and build part of the railroad on it? And Braeburn, would any trees be in the way of a Northeastern or Northwestern rail from here?"

He already knew the answers to those questions, having spent the last few weeks learning everything he could, but part of this was to improve Miss Snowfalls opinion of not only the town, but him as a partner. Sipping his coffee again, Max waited for answers.

Madam Bistro supressed a giggle as Braeburn gave her a wink, then turned back to the guests. "Why thank you, Miss Snowfall. I take particular care in selecting the shipments of coffee from each region. -And, the recipie for that pie is from the Apple family members, and I am pleased to hear when I do it justice."

This time, when Maximilian praised her coffee and pitched the voice to carry to Braeburn, she did blush lightly again.

She hmmed as Starfall sounded intrigued about the hidden city, then looked toward Braeburn "Since that incident happened before I moved to Appleoosa, It might behoove me to order some of the books from that mysterious unicorn about it, at least for the tourists to buy and so I can answer their growing number of questions when they stay here. Braeburn, would you mind if I asked you for a first-hoof account at a later time? Louise might want to listen in as well."

Sheriff Silverstar gave a moment of thought as to how to answer Max's question about the buffalo.

"About that," the mustached lawpony began to speak. "the leader of the buffalo seems willing to work out a deal, like we Appleoosans did over to apple orchard. I was able to convince one of the more friendly buffalo, ThunderClap, of how important this project is and he's been actin' like an unofficial 'go-between' betwited us and the Chief. Mr. Rockefilly, what exactly are ya gonna offer them in return fer the use of their land? Would ya like to talk ta ThunderClap directly to present yur proposal to the Chief?"

Braeburn looked down at his meal and wasted no time consuming the pie as only a hungry farmer could - he slammed his hoof into the table, popping the plate and the slice of pie up into the air, opened his mouth wide, and ate the entire slice in a single bite, before washing it down with one long drink of the cup of mocha coffee. It was as delicious as ever - and he'd usually compliment it, but he was motivated even more to do so by Max's own verbose compliment. He had this feeling Max was interested in someone, but had he misunderstood? He'd assumed that Max would be interested in the fellow high-class businesspony ... but what if Max was interested in the lovely Miss Bistro?

Well, Braeburn knew how to test the waters there, and see if Max was truly interested. He lifted his cup towards Caramel and drawled, "Well, Miss Bistro, what a mighty fine pie this is! Y'all ne'er disappoint! An' ah must say, that's a mighty fetchin' saddle y'all are wearin', too! Suits ye but good!" He smiled to her warmly, wondering how Max would respond to that. Compliments were polite and fun, but these out-of-towners seemed to read more into compliments than the usual pony.

He left that be, though, and turned back to their esteemed guest. back to businesss it was! He smiled broadly at her interest - after all, the fantastic tale was his own story! He was rather proud, not that he wanted to brag too much. "Well, darlin', ah'd be plumb happy t'give y'all a personal tour if'n y'all like. Show y'all the city itself, not t'mention th' lost train, which is where a few brave ponies ended th' hauntin' an' opened up th' ghost city! Ah reckon th' tourism might be a good boon t'this town, specially with yer railroad brinin' in ponyfolk an' more from far an' wide!"

He grinned a bit. "Course, y'all are askin' a lot of what we bring t'y'all. Now, th' rail an' airships are all nice, but it's hardly somethin' we'd use very much by itself ... an' business goes both ways. What far off fancy gizmos an' goods do y'all reckon we're gonna be gettin' heah in Appleoosa? Ah know that we've got a few treaties we need t'be careful of if'n folks are gonna spread too far, and ah'd like t'know what ah'd be bringin' our Buffalo friends in return if'n we're gonna be infringin' on their stampedin' grounds."

Braeburn thought that the idea of the Diamond Dogs causing such trouble was amusing - but that humor drained away at the idea of soldiers marching through the desert making demands. "Now hold on, Mister Rockefilly! If'n y'all go up t' the settlement up in arms an' makin' demands, that'll be causin' trouble! We here in Appleoosa are good, decent, independent folk who work hard and abide th' law. We're fine with the railroad, but we don't need all them royal guard types round here tellin' us what to do. Sure, there's a few troublemakers here an' there, but the Griffins and the Diamond Dogs have always left us alone." Braeburn was visibly upset - he didn't like the idea at all. He had respect for the military, but the way Max was talking about using them just rubbed him the wrong way - especially given how they'd barely avoided that violence with the Buffalo. theyd idn't need that again! "We're workin' round these parts t'understand an' work together! Don' need you pushin' around our neighbors an' makin' it harder to be all friendly-like!"

Rockerfilly and Braeburn dominated the conversation. She watched as both of them ate their pie, Braeburn doing so in the most impressively unsophisticated manner Snowfall had ever witnessed. Both complimented Madam Bistro and seemed to flirt with her. Snow didn't envy the other mare. She wondered if she had to put up with this sort of behavior ever day. Looking at her, however, she seemed at least somewhat taken with both of the completely antithetical stallions. How very curious.

"Well, darlin', ah'd be plumb happy t'give y'all a personal tour if'n y'all like. Show y'all the city itself, not t'mention th' lost train, which is where a few brave ponies ended th' hauntin' an' opened up th' ghost city! Ah reckon th' tourism might be a good boon t'this town, specially with yer railroad brinin' in ponyfolk an' more from far an' wide!"

Braeburn started in regard to his underground city. Snowfall nodded. While being called "darlin'" mildly irritated her, she had to admit it sounded like quite the curiosity. She thought more about Pathfinder and what use she might have for such a thing. It was definitely worth mentioning to her at least.

"It does sound like something to see," Snowfall nodded. "As it is, somepony dear to me is something of an... archaeologist, and would likely be quite interested to explore such a find. You'll have to tell me more."

Snow was a little unsure about applying a term like archaeologist to a pony like Pathfinder, but she supposed the free spirited adventurer qualified, at least in the loosest sense. She wasn't that sure if she should say anything more about the other pegasus mare for any number of reasons, but it had been hard not to think of her since their meeting roughly a week ago.

The conversation soon turned to the other land owning creatures in the area, namely the buffalo and the Diamond Dogs. Rockerfilly expressed his concern with the diamond dogs, and suggested maybe getting the government REA involved. Braeburn questioned what exactly the project would brining to them and their buffalo allies and expressed a distaste with the idea of mobilizing soldiers to convince anypony of anything. Rockerfilly asked Silverstar about the buffalo situation, and he replied by mentioning a buffalo envoy they would need to contact. Snowfall just listened and ate some more of her pie, trying to figure out her own opinion of it all.

"From what I understand, your buffalo friends are a very traditionally minded nomadic tribe," she said, mostly in response for Braeburn's comments on the matter, nodding. "Their use for NSI parts may in fact be quite small. But this project is not just about what my company produce. This railroad is a new avenue for commerce. Rockwington is a paradise for artisans and metalworkers. Beakbreak and my Stalliongrad are cities of industry. Bareback Gulch has a vast number of deep, resource filled mines. Las Pegasus is a haven for tourists hoping to have a good time. Our railroads will bring Appleloosa and all of these disparate towns and cities closer together, allowing for an exchange of goods and culture we've yet to see before. Surely you and your buffalo friends will see the value in that."

She paused before turning to the proposal on the Diamond Dogs. "But I must agree with this stallion here on the matter of the Dogs, Rockerfilly. REA soldiers would send exactly the wrong message to them. A little force applied carefully may be in order, but too much and we'll find ourselves with new enemies. We should strive to use proper diplomacy where we can, even if it ends up costing us a pile of bits."

Oh no, Max would not play that game. Normally the Rockefilly leapt at the chance to have a battle of words, a grammar slamma jamma, or giving Braeburn a diction affliction, so to speak. Of course, such actions would surely have a less than desirable effect on his esteemed guest, and Madame Bistro couldn't possibly condone such juvenile behavior.

Snorting softly, Maximilian turned to face the settler pony. "About the buffalo, they seem to be much friendlier, despite the war that almost broke out. I feel a lot more comfortable dealing with them, and I'm completely ready to give them whatever they ask for in exchange for use of their land. Sheriff, if you could schedule a meeting with them, I'd be pleased to go myself. At least they'll listen to reason."

He lifted his mug for a slow sip of the black elixir within. "I see your concerns when it comes to the diamond dogs, they are a real threat that we must deal with carefully. Though bringing in the military is to defend us, not create a police state!  A few soldiers, in their shining armor, might at least make the dogs think twice before trying anything. I certainly don't wish to blatantly attack their settlements!" 

Max eyed the orange stallion carefully, reading him for clues. That subtle shift from left to right, the fidgeting with his hat, each little nuance told Max something different, but Max didn't care about the small details, he wanted to get right at him. He would find a way to both impress Madame Bistro and make a point, both without resorting to such obvious tactics like flinging compliments around.

"Braeburn, I have no intention of creating such an abrasive situation. Diplomatically, a large show of force would serve to do nothing but inflame an already volatile situation, assuming we handle it wrong, of course. Miss Snowfall is correct, to try and use overwhelming force against the diamond dogs could never be completely successful, if even one got away we'd have a critical predicament in our hooves, and that's not a chance I'm willing to take."

The Rockefilly stared into his coffee, thinking deeply about how to handle this.

"I still think a military presence would be preferable to none at all, even a small one. But Braeburn, they won't be ordering anypony around. They're disciplined ponies who's job is to protect and serve. Maybe you should meet a few before jumping to conclusions? Just as not all city ponies are stuffy, not all ponies in uniform are oafs!"

He sipped his coffee, punctuating his speech with a small pause to think things over. That last sentence came out a bit harsher than he intended. Slowly he put the cup down and cleared his throat.

"Pardon me, I'm afraid the intensity of the situation is getting to my head, although that's no excuse."

Thoughtfully, the unicorn levitated a forkful of pie to his maw and slowly and politely chewed the delicious treat. 

"You may be fine leaving the security of appleoosa up to chance, but I'll tell you right now that there is no way of rationalizing Diamond Dog actions, even if things are going well, the could still try something. I don't want to see anything happen to this beautiful town, or the ponies in it. We

will bolster our security, although only by a small amount. Even one or two soldiers would be acceptable, any sort of presence is preferred."

The rich stallion turned his attention to the less talkative ponies, namely Miss LaMare and Madame Bistro. "Certainly you two must have thoughts on the matter."

Maximilian sipped his coffee, and listened. This was only going to get more interesting as the night went on.

The Mocha Mare was going over Maximillain's comments in her head about the possibilities. Her train of thought derailed as Braeburn ate his pie.

She was still amazed at how Braeburn or anypony could eat pies like that, then smiled at the compliment about her coffee and her saddle. "Why thank you, Braeburn. I had this one special made in Ponyville. I am glad it has the desired effect on ponies."

Bistro listened pleasently as he offered up thought on showing Miss Snowfall the lost train and playing up the tourisim angle. She then ulped as Braeburn blew up at the suggestion of bringing in REA soldiers.

The mare hmmed thoughtfully as Miss Snowfall agreed with Braeburn and looked at Max as he asked for her and Louise's opinion.

The business mare nickered thoughtfully. "This is a ticklish situation we may face with the Diamond Dogs. I heard from travelers one pony was kidnapped for her gem talents by a different tribe in Ponyville last year. She was quickly rescued but this underscores how unpredictable they can be.

I would welcome their cooperation, even if it turns out to be expensive to do so, but I really think we should keep our options open in case they get... dangerous."

She nodded toward Braeburn, "Given Braeburn's reaction as well, a visible REA presense may cause ponies and even buffalo to get the wrong idea. Perhaps we should keep the REA on call for emergencies with the Diamond Dogs, but none in town. Surely a flight of Pegasi could be here from the Dodge Junction area in under an hour?"

She tapped a shiny-shod hoof for a moment, then flicked her tail at a thought. "The two buffalo that come to town regularly.. They mention their herd have had trouble with Diamond Dogs and Griffons before. Would a mutual defense agreement with them help matters? Would that impress the buffalo at how much we trust them?"

"Madam Bistro's right," added Louise LaMare. "Any military appearance in Appleoosa could upset not only the buffalo, but the griffins and the Diamond Dogs in the area too. So far, the Sheriff and the townfolk have kept the peace here."

"That's right, ma'am," Sheriff Silverstar said. "Now, about the buffalo. I would suggest that you first speak with the two buffalo that come to town regularly. The Chief of the herd ain't likely to attend a meeting with you without their counsel. Gotta play this by ear, if ya know what I mean, Mr. Rockefilly."

Braeburn was disappointed that Max hadn’t risen to the challenge – he’d hoped the city pony had truly been interested in Caramel, but the stallion seemed to have simply give up. Braeburn let it go for now – he loved playing matchmaker as much as – perhaps a bit more so – than the next pony, but there was plenty else to do now, so he just smiled and tipped his hat to Caramel as she smiled at the compliments. He wasn’t giving up on Max – but he’d bide his time for now.

Braeburned smiled confidently Snowfall’s way, “well, it is pretty safe fer yer archeologist friend t’ take a look-see. Ah look forward t’findin’ out more of it. Ah never did get a chance t’get a good look at th’ place, what with them tryin’ t’eat me an’ all.”

He listened patiently to each pony chiming in their opinion, then put in his two bits again -

“Don’t know if it’s a good idea to judge the diamond dogs here off what a couple out near Ponyville did. If’n one pony was an outlaw an’ shanghai’d a young diamond dog lass, would y’all want the Diamond Dogs t’blame all ponies on that? We had similar problems with th’ Buffalo – thinkin’ there was no reasonin’ with them, till we finally found ourselves some common ground. Ah reckon y’all could find that y’all could reason Diamond Dog actions, too, if’n y’all could jes’ get a chance t’meet with ‘em and get t’know what’s important t’them.”

He smiled to Snow. “That’s why ah’m rather askin’ what, more specifically, we’d find Appleoosa getting’ from this railroad. Ah’m all for opportunity, y’all see, but Appleoosa has some values towards getting’ along with our neighbors. Opportunity’s a lovely thing, but y’all can’t eat it, nor sit on it, if’n it doesn’t turn out th’ way y’all expect. We hear about th’ industry out that way, but what does that mean to th’ pony, everyday, if it means that folks are gonna come in here an’ change things, even just a little, for our own good? We’ve a sheriff. Ah reckon he’s done a right good job so far keepin’ things peacable.”

“Well, it is pretty safe fer yer archeologist friend t’ take a look-see. Ah look forward t’findin’ out more of it. Ah never did get a chance t’get a good look at th’ place, what with them tryin’ t’eat me an’ all.”

Snowfall was mildly confused by these words from Braeburn. If there were things trying to eat ponies, how exactly could he call it safe? That said, she hoped it wasn't safe. Pathfinder had no use for safe. That was a pony who thrived on danger and adventure. Thrills meant more to her than the things she'd find at the end of her adventures.

But that was something to probably ask about later. The conversation had moved on and Snowfall had as lot of ponies to pay close attention to. Rockerfilly took charge of the conversation, but everypony chimed in regards to the situation with the diamond dogs and the buffalo. Snowfall nodded as she listened to every point made, most all of which were fair. Even Braeburn was proving surprisingly capable and making some decent points.

"Perhaps we need to get a little creative here. It seems clear from what I'm hearing that, REA presence would not only unsettle the diamond dogs and the buffalo, but the ponies of Appleloosa as well," Snowfall said with a gentle nod.

"What does the REA get us with the Diamond Dogs?" the pegasus spoke, coming to a pause after the question before answering it. "They represent strength and authority. From what I know of the dogs, authority is not something that compels them very much, and the REA is not the only means we have to show strength. I suggest we entreat with them civilly, relying on for our display of strength the local law enforcement from here in Appleloosa, as well as on the other side of the mountains in Rockwington, something I'm sure our third partner, Miss Silverbeak can arrange for us. If we can get a representative of the buffalo on board that would make it even easier. If such a unified party were to meet them, I'm sure they'd feel pressured to the point where if they didn't agree outright to allow production, at least they'd be willing to be bought for a more reasonable price."

Having said her piece, Snowfall turned to Braeburn and his words directed at her. “That’s why ah’m rather askin’ what, more specifically, we’d find Appleoosa getting’ from this railroad. Ah’m all for opportunity, y’all see, but Appleoosa has some values towards getting’ along with our neighbors. Opportunity’s a lovely thing, but y’all can’t eat it, nor sit on it, if’n it doesn’t turn out th’ way y’all expect. We hear about th’ industry out that way, but what does that mean to th’ pony, everyday, if it means that folks are gonna come in here an’ change things, even just a little, for our own good? We’ve a sheriff. Ah reckon he’s done a right good job so far keepin’ things peacable.”

"As I just said, you'll have eased access to goods and services that you wouldn't otherwise have," Snowfall said with a steady nod. "Perhaps more importantly however, you're own goods and services will now open up to new and distant markets. I've seen your apple orchard here. Surely that produces more apples than a small town like this and the neighboring towns rightly know what to do with. With this railroad opening up, you'll now have access to a number of new markets without easy access to apples who will be willing and eager to buy your excess supply, and for more bits than you could ever sell them locally. This railroad represents not just a vague sense of opportunity but a very real boon to your economy, a tangible influx of bits for this town."

Everypony seemed to finally be coming together, and while it wasn't totally in support of Max's ideas, it was progress nonetheless. Braeburn had actually managed to make a few fair points, and the support of the other Appleoosans drove the point home. Maximilian had to pause for a moment, finishing his coffee and putting the mug aside as he chose his words carefully.

"Miss Snowfall, I see now that your suggestions, and those of my associates are... the more level headed approach. This is no crisis in capitalism, there are livelihoods at stake, not bottom lines. Normally I'd be inclined to take the hard line approach towards the diamond dogs, show a strong hoof, as it were. Although, after listening to the points presented, I must admit that my approach may not be the most effective one available. It seems I still have a bit to learn about my new home."

The Rockefilly chuckled a bit to himself, finding the whole situation a bit amusing. He didn't like admitting his own mistakes, but if he continued on, arrogantly struggling to press home a futile position to much more informed ponies than he, it would only end badly. Thankfully he knew these ponies well enough to not feel bad about it. Mistakes could be made, a pony merely needed to redeem himself and all would be well.

Glancing slightly to his side, Max shot a quick glance to the mocha mare nearby. Normally he'd be quick to talk to her, maybe even see what would develop, but now was not the time nor the place for such pleasantries. Braeburn seemed to be quite interested in Madame Bistro, making it quite obvious with his manners and even more so with his words. Let him be so crass, Max knew that there would be better opportunities to chat with the pony he fancied.

"I'll send word for a detachment of ponies to be kept on alert nearby, but not in town. They'll be close enough to help us out, but not close enough to be noticeable. Also, I'd love to talk to the buffalo first hoof, it's the best way to make an honest deal, it builds trust. Braeburn, I think things would go better if you were to accompany me, you've already dealt with them, it seems. I think you'd make quite the difference."

"Sheriff, you will of course have complete control of Appleoosa's security, and I know we all trust you to ensure that the troops on alert are never called up. Madame Bistro... if there is anything you wish to help with, I'll do my best to accomodate you, although maybe a few cups of coffee could calm those dogs down!"

Max chuckled again, quite pleased with the situation at hoof. Sure, he may have lost a small amount of face by switching opinions, but his response more than made up for it. He knew Snowfall's type, she was much like him. While she may have been brought up to believe that a strong, ruthless business pony was the best kind, she'd have an inherent appreciation for handling things with a more dignified touch.

"Now... any more questions or concerns? Or shall we take a break for the night?"

(OOC: My apologies for the delay since the time I posted i would be off for helping with a move. I hurt my hand yesterday so my posting was quite limited)

The Mocha Mare smiled and nodded as the two stallions seem to have finished sounding each other out in a civilized manner. This was exciting and scary in some ways as she had never had two ponies flirting with her at once. This was going to be... interesting.

She looked at Braeburn, a little surprised at the wisdom reguarding not judging all Diamond Dogs by one tribe. "I see, thank you Braeburn. That is something to consider."

Max went with the group consensus and announced he wished to meet the buffalo chief. "At least one of the visiting buffalo has developed a taste for my donuts so it should not be hard to arrange a meeting with those two, and they can get the Chief's attention in no time."

She beamed at Max's asking if she has any way to help out she would wish to do. "Oh certainly! At the least, I'll personally make the pies you will need to bring the chief. He cannot get enough of Appleoosan Apple Pies. As for coffee, I might have some blends that would put Diamond Dogs at ease."

The mare nodded to the donkey, Thorn as he brought Miss Snowfall her room key. "I have no further points to bring up at this time. If anypony would like a refill though. I can accomodate them."

Sheriff Silverstar glanced over at the tall grandfather clock in Madam Bistro's dining room.

"It is gittin late, Mr. Rockefilly, maybe we should go ahead and call it a night. I do wanna chat with ya a little more about that security force of yours, but that can wait till tomorrow."

"It is rather late," added Louise LaMare with a yawn. :"Mr. Rockefilly, Miss Snowfall, are you staying here at Madam Bistro's? I've been staying here since I moved to Appleoosa. Someday I hope to purchase a house or property near town to build a house on."

Braebrun pondered on the subject of the Diamond Dogs for a bit. Perhaps this filly wasn't underestimating him after all – most ponies who were giving him that sort of cold stare would have just dismissed him as a rube, especially with his accent and, strangely, his profession. Braeburn even used this stereotype and misconception to his advantage from time to time to appear less threatening and even harmless, but a pony doesn’t start their own successful orchard out in the dry plains by being dumb, nor ignorant of the world around him – a lesson that'd been brought home by the buffalo.

“Well, y'all only need talk ter th' local tribe of Diamond Dogs, and any that might be near yer tracks. No need t'chat in Gaberott, wouldn't help ye none. Diamond Dogs are all bout th' local pack an' th' top dog. That's why hasslin' th' troops is such overkill.” Braeburn turned to the sheriff next to him, “Ah reckon just our good Sheriff here t'head the mission would be enough, he's talked with 'em before … though, takin' a couple temporary deputies wouldn't hurt none.” That last part was more to assure any worry LaMare had then a true assessment of danger. He'd never known a Diamond Dogs to harm ponies just for fun – they were more focused on stuff below-ground, from the few dealings he'd had with them.

“As fer mah apples, Miss Snowfall, Ah rightly appreciate that they'd be in such high demand ah'd have t' expand mah orchard … but ah kin already use th' current track t'take them inter th' heart of Equestria, an' ah don't reckon that Griffins would have a higher demand than ponies fer th' tasty treats. An' far as expandin' goes, there's only so many trees one stallion kin buck. As fer what goods they offer us ... we do pretty well here, without them. Don't reckon we need them … but ponies might want them, true enough. If we can find out what those fancy goods are.” Brabeurn gave a sweet smile, “don’t worry your pretty wings none, I won’t stand in the way of your guys’ railroad as long as it doesn’t ruin the natural landscape or take away the Buffalo’s roaming paths, you may want to pay special attention to the latter, it's probably yer most important concern.”

He pondered a moment, then decided to show his support for the project by giving one last piece of advice – something important to him professionally as well as personally. “An' ma'am, don't take this th' wrong way, but y'all might want t' change yer approach. Ah don't have t'tell y'all that th' first rule of business is t' know yer customers. Ah know other places, bein' all professional th' way y'all are is how y'all do yer dickerin'. When ah take th' apples teh Canterlot fer market, ah tone it down a right heap, so ah'm just charmin'ly exotic rather than seemin' a country bumpkin. Sheriff n' Ah, we're somethin' of Appleoosa's welcome wagon, an' th' lovely Miss Bistro's used t' th' outside, though she's fittin' in right nicely round here. Now me, ah make it mah job t' make every pony happy here, but also t'test the waters t'see if t'other pony fits in here. If'n y'all really want t'get ponies other than us on yer side … y'all can't keep yerself at a distance like y'all are. We don't step t'the same tune yer used to, when doin' business. Y'all look at us that way, y'all underestimate us … well, ah don't reckon y'all need t'be told how dangerous that is in business! Here, we respect ponies who are open, who kin smile an' laugh, lift up yer hooves at a wild west tune – or even a mild west tune – an' if'n a pony flirts wi' y'all, then y'all flirt right back, don't mean nuthin' cept makin' somepony smile.” He gave her his most winning grin, and a nod, and settled his hat on his head as he leaned forward over the table. “Let yerself have a lil' fun, darlin'. Pretty filly like y'all shouldn't have a problem with that.”

Braeburn was satisfied; he laid out any objections he could think of. He didn’t oppose progress; he just didn’t want the special feel of the town ruined, or the beauty of the desert spoiled, but he felt these two out-of-towners would understand. “I would like another of your magnificent pies Caramel, perhaps with some ice cream. Your recipes are a work of art after all. I can’t get enough!”

Snowfall considered Braeburn's comments. To be fair, this pony deserved more credit than she had first given him credit. All the same, he represented a sort of stubbornness that Snowfall did not at all favor.

"The Trans Equestrian Railroad we have planned is much more than just the line to Rockwington. Rockerfilly, Ms. Silverbeak and myself have a number of other lines proposed for construction. The Rockwington line might not provide you with much, but another line we have planned to trace through the Roughrider Ridge, up to my Stalliongrad will. Fresh fruit sells at quite a premium there where it is too cold to grow it after all," Snow started in a low voice. "But the Rockwington line will help others in this town. It's a town of artisans, metal workers and the like. They have fine goods which I'm sure will aid some here in Appleloosa."

Snowfall then sighed before shifting to the stallion's other comments. "As for my disposition, I'll have you know that I'm perfectly capable of both flirting and having fun," she said rather forwardly, blushing just a little, thinking of the all too recent encounter where she had done plenty of both. "With just the right pony, you might actually say I have a talent for it."

"I am just a firm believer that there is a time and place for such things, and this is not it. My father taught me to keep my public image tightly controlled. First and foremost, this is a business meeting. Politeness and civility are as important here as ever. If you expect me to abandon such things for what is still public discourse, you will be sorely disappointed," Snow said with a final nod.

Turning to the others, Snowfall spoke some more, "I have no complaints with any of that when it comes to the dogs, or much in the way of anything else to add."

She glanced at Madam Bistro for a second. "Though I suppose that I too would be quite delighted to have more of that pie. It's sweetness truly was impeccable," she said.

Max snorted loudly at Braeburn's comments, he was a smart pony when it came to country living, but the last thing you want to do is lecture a business pony on their practices. Who was he to criticize the hardliner approach? It wasn't like anypony was telling him how to operate and run his apple orchards! Of course, such things weren't worth getting worked up over, and the larger picture at hoof was more important anyway. It was just a small annoyance.

"Braeburn, business has no place for flirting or the like, it's a far cry from farm work, as I'm sure you know. However, there are far more pressing concerns than a lack of tact, most importantly, the issue of the dogs." Max shrugged off the blatant verbal attack, a little surprised by his words, but unwilling to apologize. The farm pony's words had hit home, and he only wanted to return the favor. He coughed lightly and changed the subject.

"When it comes to the diamond dogs, I think we've said all that we can. Two plains clothed soldiers will be moving in, while I'll make sure the nearest outpost is on alert while we attempt negotiations. I'll meet personally with the buffalo, along with anypony else that wishes to join. In all honesty, I feel fairly confident about the next few weeks. Once construction is done here with the living quarters and other facilities, the staff will begin construction on the Appleoosa to Stalliongrad line, the most important of the two. Once that's done, or at least near completion, our attention will shift to the Rockwington to Appleoosa connection. Once those two are done, the Trans-Equestrian line will be complete, and we can then deal with any smaller lines that we wish to build, especially the ones out west."

Maximilian cleared his throat and adjusted his jacket, he wasn't sure where things would go from there, hopefully they could retire for the night in a more civil fashion. "If we're all done here, I would like one more slice of pie before bed, Madame Bistro. Does anypony have any more concerns?"

(OOC: what a week, first I hurt a finger then my ankle. at least my finger's a lot better ^_^ )

Madam Bistro listened to Braeburn as he spoke, bringing up things some of the local business ponies might ask, then kept a poker face when he suggested Miss Snowfall loosen up and flirt and have fun. She thought * I'll giggle later, in private... Neither of them would take it right. I've heard Stalliongrad ponies take being serious very seriously. -and I've heard they make up for it when they do cut loose... *

Then Braeburn asked for more pie and ice cream. "If you promise to enjoy the pie a little longer, Braeburn..." she lightly teased.

She listened as Miss Snowfall cooly let Braeburn know she does indeed have fun, in the proper time, and smiled when she too asked for more pie. "Thank you Miss Snowfall, coming right up!"

Maximilian was definitely feeling testy now as he sent Braeburn a sharp barb.

Now might be good to defuse the situation a bit before the stallions started getting their blood up.

"More pie for you as well, Mr. Rockefilly, very well. As the hour grows late, we might wish to think over how to put our best hoof forward and impress each other tomorrow. All of us have had a long day, either in a hot train or bucking trees, and may not be at our best. Excuse me for a moment..."

She trotted off and quickly returned with more pie and extra ice cream, smiling at those gathered. "For those of you staying here for the first time, somepony will be on call at all hours if you need anything. I have Griffon made alarm clocks in all suites, but if you wish the personal touch, leave a message with Thorn and he will come to awaken you."

Caramel Bistro smiled "I will be happy to speak with you all again tomorrow, and if there is no further business, I bid you all good night."

As the mare waited, she suddenly had a thought. if the pies were this popular, how would they sell in Stalliongrad when it becomes a day's travel by rail...? Something to speak with Braeburn or Maximillian about later...

• 2 weeks later...

((OOC Note - I didn't think it was my turn but the thread wasn't moving to its conclusion, so I figure I would post and move it towards there))

Braeburn didn't truly expect either Snowfall or Maximilian to truly embrace the way things were done around here, but he hoped they would at least understands them. Still, many businessponies seemed to think that 'doing business' meant being stuffy - where Braeburn felt it meant making your customers feel comfortable. Well, he supposed he could be wrong ... but ... "Ah don't reckon y'all quite understand what ah'm sayin'. There's an informality t'live here in Appleloosa - in the way we relax, the way we play, and the way we do business. Being all formal like may be all well and good in Stalliongrad or Canterlot, but doing business is different heah. If'n y'all want more than just a few ponies heah to sign onto yer plan, y'all need t' make them feel ye belong heah - otherwise, mah lovely filly, y'all might be sorely disappointed."

Braeburn was being unusually stubborn about this particular aspect. Ponies out here were rugged individualists, average hard-working ponies who wanted to start a new life away from all the stuffy trappings and stratified society that were the hallmark of the more "civilized" regions of Equestria. If the ponies here wanted business sorts that would be all stuffy and distant, they'd never have come to Appleloosa - that was part of the town's frontier values.

He turned to Maximillian, looking even more determined. "An' yer right, it ain't like farm work, yer business has a whole lot more talkin' and a bit less sweat. If'n ah told y'all that jes cause yer a businesspony, y'all don' know nothin' bout hard work, y'all wouldn't feel all too civil an' wantin' t'do business with me, would ye? Well, same goes th' other way. If'n y'all tell th' farmers round these parts that they're just common farmers, an' that their work an' their ways don' mean nothin' to y'all, then they aren't gonna wanna do business with y'all. Y'all might wanna understnad us better, seein' as y'all are comin' t'us, and we're not comin' t' y'all. We might benefit from y'all bringin' in yer rail, but we don't need it, and we don't need you - y'all need us a lot more." He snorted a bit, holding in a few of his personal opinions about what constituted honest work. Then he took a breath and let it out calmly - he was starting to get a bit more agitated than he would have liked. "Mah apologizes Miss Bistro, Ah wasn't meanin' t'bring bad vibes here to yer wonderful establishment and yer fine guests."

Braebrun stood up and look directly at Max, and tipped his head politely, his back straightening, his posture shifting. When he spoke again, he had lost the Appleloosian accent almost entirely, he took on the more moderate, only slightly accented tone he used whenever doing business on the road, and then turned it up a notch to the tone he used when doing formal business with produce distributors on behalf of all the farmers of Appleloosa, suddenly sounding like a cultured Western gentlepony. "Good sir, m'lady, I ask you both to strongly consider our views on this, especially with the Diamond Dogs. Insisting that Big City ways are superior just create the impression that you are lording it over us, and the Diamond Dogs often feel the same way. Customs change from place to place - we must change with them if we hope to profit. I would never presume to tell you how best to do business in Stalliongrad or Manehattan ... but I would hope that you would trust my advice on how best to do business in Appleloosa. The Diamond Dogs really are not a bad lot, just a touch hot-headed, something we all can find ourselves victim to from time to time. I assure you, the Sheriff will be a capital escort." Well, he hadn't grown up in Appleloosa, after all!

He put his hat back on, and stood up to leave, his accent returning in full force. "That said, pardners, ah won't be leaden' any sorta charge against yer rails, if'n it's what's best for the folks here. As long as y'all keep things honest, we'll stand with ye. Nopony minds a few more bits."