Flutter Ponies and Breezies?

flutterscotch

But you do have the wild, wonderful worlds of Crossovers (which TECHNICALLY this could be a crossover with MLP G1) and Free-For-All. :)

Also. don't forget the Windy Wing and Summerwing ponies :D

BUT, one MAJOR issue with the flutter ponies, at least, had a magical sparkly secret weapon called "utter flutter" where they batted their wings and, basically fairy dust came out of them, and there's weirdness with them being some magical ancient race and reproducing in a bizarre way, and living in a valley hidden from the rest of the ponies. Pegasus + mild unicorn-like magic. At least in g1. No idea how they'd tackle it now.

But actually, Tales, this brings up a MIGHTY grey area. What about Ploomette? Regular pony with fancy wing extensions? In her box art she's a regular pegasus.

hs-1743_1z.jpg

Can we fudge the appearance of Flutter Ponies with either wing extensions, or just a weird fashion choice where normal earth ponies (or even unicorns, because then someone of them might have levitation powers strong enough to get themselves aloft for periods of time) just wear these weird gauzy wings? It could even be that it's a Pegasus with illusory magic performed on their wings, but I think that might require them to have unicorn friend to keep up the appearance, which might bring in a "vain vileness who exploits unicorns" edge that might not be board appropriate.

I did attempt to bypass the Twinkle-Eye Ban by just making them weird gemstone goggles and that seemed to work without too many troubles from anyone, but I am not sure how much mundane solutions to these kinds of questions flies these days.

But you do have the wild, wonderful worlds of Crossovers (which TECHNICALLY this could be a crossover with MLP G1) and Free-For-All. :)

Also. don't forget the Windy Wing and Summerwing ponies :D

BUT, one MAJOR issue with the flutter ponies, at least, had a magical sparkly secret weapon called "utter flutter" where they batted their wings and, basically fairy dust came out of them, and there's weirdness with them being some magical ancient race and reproducing in a bizarre way, and living in a valley hidden from the rest of the ponies. Pegasus + mild unicorn-like magic. At least in g1. No idea how they'd tackle it now.

But actually, Tales, this brings up a MIGHTY grey area. What about Ploomette? Regular pony with fancy wing extensions? In her box art she's a regular pegasus.

hs-1743_1z.jpg

Can we fudge the appearance of Flutter Ponies with either wing extensions, or just a weird fashion choice where normal earth ponies (or even unicorns, because then someone of them might have levitation powers strong enough to get themselves aloft for periods of time) just wear these weird gauzy wings? It could even be that it's a Pegasus with illusory magic performed on their wings, but I think that might require them to have unicorn friend to keep up the appearance, which might bring in a "vain vileness who exploits unicorns" edge that might not be board appropriate.

I did attempt to bypass the Twinkle-Eye Ban by just making them weird gemstone goggles and that seemed to work without too many troubles from anyone, but I am not sure how much mundane solutions to these kinds of questions flies these days.

Ploomette's wings are not 'butterfly' wings, despite their appearance. If you notice, her pet is a PEACOCK. Her own feathers are meant to look like the splayed feathers of a male peacock.

peacock.jpg

That being said, it'd stand to reason that somepony should be able to have wings like that--I'm personally against the limitation of 'wing shape' because the princess' 'can't have copies' or whatever---but that's a whole different matter.

Ploomette's wings are not 'butterfly' wings, despite their appearance. If you notice, her pet is a PEACOCK. Her own feathers are meant to look like the splayed feathers of a male peacock.

Obviously. But I was bringing it up in the mention of oddball wings that were not the normal lobed, feathered wings that are the only wings acceptable for use in RP on this forum in general. And considering she is g4 merchandise that is not either a main cast member, or a princess I thought it worth bringing up. Besides her name is an obvious give-away that it's referring to feather plumes and not insect wings.

Not sure why you put 'butterfly' wings in emphasis when not one single person called them butterfly wings. Flutterpony wings (which actually resemble fairy wings in the cartoon and iridescent CLOUDS in the toys) and Breezie wings (which more resembled Tinkerbelle Wings or Beetle underwings in the toys) weren't butterfly wings either. The only ponies who have ever had butterfly wings were the windy-wings and summerwings.

But in order for Rarity to keep those wings, she would have had to have exhausted Twilight every 3 days. Poor Twilight could have ended up her wing-enchanting slave! 0.0 THE HORROR, THE HORROR! And Discorded-Rarity would have been TOTALLY fine with it. Which means that Discord could have reigned FOREVER. Think of the implications. And how hilarious of a fic that would be.

I wonder if the spell to change a pegasus' wings would be easier than giving a unicorn wings!

We actually don't count the toys for any sort of canon. Actually, all toys are considered OCs unless they appear in show. However, another rule states that all Pegasi have to have the normal Pegasi wings.

With that out of the way, you also bring up a good point. Transformation spells seem to take a lot out of a pony. Speaking of which, isn't Twilight the only pony to use transformation magic? (Discounting the princesses.) In addition, she's also like, the most powerful Unicorn in Equestria. Also, as mentioned, (transformation) spells are not permanent.

We don't have a problem with people wearing wings for aesthetic purposes. That said, fake/accessory wings will not work. But, what about adding things to Pegasus wings? This is also allowed, however, it probably makes flight a bit harder. Weigh down the wings, and it's going to be difficult to get them going.

Short answer: When we see it in SHOW, we can consider allowing it.

. Speaking of which, isn't Twilight the only pony to use transformation magic?

I wouldn't go that far. She is the only one we've seen using it, but the spell was in a book regularly available in the public library. And a branch library at that, in a town founded by earth ponies, and not the royal canterlot library. (get it. Branch. 'cus tree. Wocka Wocka.). I'd think she's the only unicorn that could probably pick it up there and then, do it the first time and get it right, but if a pomy's talent was that type of magic they might be able to pick it up too. It might be just as hard, if not harder than it was for Twilight, but I'd think that because it was readily available in a book that some other pony could pick it up if their special magic aligned with doing such a thing.

I think that twilight's magic doesn't just center around be the only pony who can do certain spells, because clearly there are books readily available that teach all manners of spells, rather that she has the potential to learn and perform *any and all spells* short of Princess-level, not just those that pertain to her talent to begin with, since it is magic. And that would be a rare gift itself, and keep her interesting instead of being just the best instantly.. Sure, she's powerful, probably the most powerful ever, but she has a lot to learn and study because there's probably a lot of spells out there...and some plot devices that might be needed as well. She could even be a few years from even approaching Starswirl the bearded status since she is young, learning, but has the raw potential/power to surpass him by a long shot.. :) But that could just the way I am thinking about it since is seems weird to me that there would be so many convenient spell books around a bunch of ponies, none of whom are quite as studious as our favorite purple unicorn.

Not sure why you put 'butterfly' wings in emphasis when not one single person called them butterfly wings. Flutterpony wings (which actually resemble fairy wings in the cartoon and iridescent CLOUDS in the toys) and Breezie wings (which more resembled Tinkerbelle Wings or Beetle underwings in the toys) weren't butterfly wings either. The only ponies who have ever had butterfly wings were the windy-wings and summerwings.

*eyeroll* >_> Bug wings, then. Fairy wings are esentially waspy wings, but prettier.....also..............I thought......I mean......I thought you knew I <3 G1 :-( .....I know what Flutterponies are/look like I just.....I was......*shrug*

I wouldn't go that far. She is the only one we've seen using it, but the spell was in a book regularly available in the public library. And a branch library at that, in a town founded by earth ponies, and not the royal canterlot library. (get it. Branch. 'cus tree. Wocka Wocka.). I'd think she's the only unicorn that could probably pick it up there and then, do it the first time and get it right, but if a pomy's talent was that type of magic they might be able to pick it up too. It might be just as hard, if not harder than it was for Twilight, but I'd think that because it was readily available in a book that some other pony could pick it up if their special magic aligned with doing such a thing.

The problem here, then, lies with board canon. We don't like to allow magic that can alter, change, and/or influence another pony. Generally this is reserved for mind magic, but alterations to the body apply as well. It just leaves room open for abuse. :/ 'Haha, I just zapped your guy pony and gave him pretty girly wings.' It's about infringing on free will, basically.

Here's a quote from Skye on the subject, actually:

Also, don't forget that even though Twilight transformed the mice into horses, they were still mouselike in much of their outward appearance, so even she didn't get it exactly right.

I would say transformation magic would be possible, but very very difficult. More likely would be to transform objects into other objects (Though maintaining it was hard, as Twilight showed where the top hat turned back into a rock when she and Spike got distracted). As it has been pointed out, this isn't like a DND style play where someone would have to roll vs save, so if someone doesn't want to be turned into something they can't, and you can't force it on them, but at the same time regulating 'how powerful' it'd be or its actual use would be very difficult and potentially Mary Sue.

And a longer post from Manestream.

I'm also still upset about when I got Peach Blossom for Easter of '86 or '87 and her wings immediately broke off and were stolen by the cat. :-(

If they were canon on the board, their stupid wings being ridiculously fragile would be funny.