A important OC idea question...

synkyd

Okay, next year, Im going to make another OC. A while off, but I dont want to get the main idea veto'ed after going tthrough the effort of making a backstory behind it. The idea is that a young colt's dream is to join the wonderbolts team. He has everything a wonderbolt has: bravery, agility, compassion, kindness and is increadbly nice.

But, hes an earth pony.

Is this just too sad or dark for FIM? No rule states you cant do this, but .... I just have this nagging feeling about it...

hi hi

A related question, are Pinkie Pie style flying machines allowed in the Mane RP these days now? Or are they still non-board canon?

[]http://knhauber.phpwebhosting.com/scraps/wintergreen_flight_wip01.jpg

No, you may not have any pony in any way fly except pegasai.

Okay, next year, Im going to make another OC. A while off, but I dont want to get the main idea veto'ed after going tthrough the effort of making a backstory behind it. The idea is that a young colt's dream is to join the wonderbolts team. He has everything a wonderbolt has: bravery, agility, compassion, kindness and is increadbly nice.

But, hes an earth pony.

Is this just too sad or dark for FIM? No rule states you cant do this, but .... I just have this nagging feeling about it...

Technically under the new rules this is not allowed.

1. Earth ponies have no interest in flying, ponies are incapable of feeling jealousy or desire. (covered by skye in the "state of equestria" post)

2. only pegasai can fly. Absolutely no way in tartarus can any other race fly at all, even with the aid of flying machines and they dont want to (see #1) (again "state of equestria")

Previous characters were "Grandfathered in" new ones are not capable of it.

im not saying he'll ever fly. in fact, its only IMPLIED he wants to fly. my plan all along was that eventuly, he could join the team by becoming a technical member of the team (Planning, planning routines, B.g, etc.)

, he just wants to join the wonderbolts, with or without flying.

No, you may not have any pony in any way fly except pegasai.

I think Pinkie Pie's flying machine may be more of a gag item. But, hang gliders like Apple Bloom tried to use in Call of the Cutie are okay.

1. Earth ponies have no interest in flying, ponies are incapable of feeling jealousy or desire.

I would say that this is pretty incorrect. Earth ponies may have the desire to fly, just as Pegasi may desire to use magic. It's just not something they can ever truly accomplish. Gliding is not flying. Also, I'm sure there have been plenty of OCs past and present that are jealous... and saying that ponies do not experience jealousy seems a bit ignorant. After all, aren't the Cutie Mark Crusaders, especially Apple Bloom, jealous of Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, and pretty much anypony else with a Cutie Mark?

2. only pegasai can fly. Absolutely no way in tartarus can any other race fly at all, even with the aid of flying machines and they dont want to (see #1) (again "state of equestria")

Again, gliders are fine, but machinery such as fake wings and the like are kind of pushing it. After all, we don't see Earth ponies flying through the sky on a regular basis, using ANY type of flying thing. Just Pinks in that one episode.

Previous characters were "Grandfathered in" new ones are not capable of it.

Well, there weren't even any characters that got grandfathered in who were flying non-Pegasi. Nothing really changed at all, the topic was more for future reference when creating characters.

I would say that this is pretty incorrect. Earth ponies may have the desire to fly, just as Pegasi may desire to use magic. It's just not something they can ever truly accomplish. Gliding is not flying. Also, I'm sure there have been plenty of OCs past and present that are jealous... and saying that ponies do not experience jealousy seems a bit ignorant. After all, aren't the Cutie Mark Crusaders, especially Apple Bloom, jealous of Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, and pretty much anypony else with a Cutie Mark?

I'm trying to hunt down Skye's exact quote, because I remember being a little surprised when he said ponies felt none of these things...