Would this be an ok species?

Stonetribe

Would it be ok to submit a rp application where the creature is a giant, talking, sentiant praying mantis? I don't mean godzilla sized. it would only be about twice the height of a normal sized pony. He wouldn't be strictly carnivorous, adapted to eat fruit, vegetables, and other accepteble pony food. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. Thanks.

This is the approved species list. I'm afraid you're only allowed to RP as species on it in the World of Equestria Mane RP.

The site also has a crossover RP section though, where you're able to play as other species.

EDIT: Or, what Winter said... :P

MLPTales being double-ninja'ed? My dreams came through! :kissy:

Anyway, I'm here just of strict curiosity. No offense or anything. But just, that question bounces in my head, why a species like these on a site like that o.o'? I mean... you know...

I've already read the playable species list, but thought it would be better to ask first before making an application. Would it not be allowed just because it's not on the official list, or because of ballencing issues? I don't think the idea of a giant talking bug would be too out of place seeing as how equestria is full of magical creatures and such. As for why I would want such an unusual choice, I always tend to try and think out of the box when it comes to these kinds of things. That and I love insects. Whatever the reason, thanks for your time.

I've already read the playable species list, but thought it would be better to ask first before making an application. Would it not be allowed just because it's not on the official list, or because of ballencing issues? I don't think the idea of a giant talking bug would be too out of place seeing as how equestria is full of magical creatures and such. As for why I would want such an unusual choice, I always tend to try and think out of the box when it comes to these kinds of things. That and I love insects. Whatever the reason, thanks for your time.

Before I say anything else, if I am prying into the subject too much, then for the love of the lord, please tell me so! The last thing I want to do is to be pushing the topic farther than it should. That being said would there happen to be a certain official I could ask and see if I can't get an "ok" from them? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work or shouldn't be so other than that nothing like a pony sized talking bug has ever been featured on the show, even though It could most likely fit in considering FiM's already wide and colorful cast of characters. Can I get a bit of feed back on this? Like I said before, if I should just drop the matter, please say so and I will be more than happy to oblige.

For that, it would be best to do a proposed lore for the creature in mind here - http://www.canterlot...and-discussion/

After that is finished, you should PM a moderator to take a look at it. Actually, here is a nice link detailing how you should format that, too! http://www.canterlot...-proposed-lore/

Currently, because the creature is not on the accepted creature list, an application for one in the Mane RP/World of Equestria RP wouldn't fly, you would have to get your creature lore approved first. But, again, Crossovers and FFA should be fine, if you want to try it out there first!

Rule of thumb is that if it isn't in the show it isn't in Mane RP.

Sentient insects are never shown in the show. At most insects can be companions as per May the Best Pet win. But nopony has one so that isn't even confirmed, just alluded to as they are in the animal list that fluttershy uses to help Dash find a pet.

For that, it would be best to do a proposed lore for the creature in mind here - http://www.canterlot...and-discussion/

After that is finished, you should PM a moderator to take a look at it. Actually, here is a nice link detailing how you should format that, too! http://www.canterlot...-proposed-lore/

Currently, because the creature is not on the accepted creature list, an application for one in the Mane RP/World of Equestria RP wouldn't fly, you would have to get your creature lore approved first. But, again, Crossovers and FFA should be fine, if you want to try it out there first!

Hey, thanks for the support! I'll be sure to keep these things in mind. But I think It would be a good idea to first test out the idea in free role-play like you suggested as well as spend a bit more time on the forums before I submit a suggestion to the accepted species list. Thanks again!

Of course, Perytons, Hippocamps, Hippogriffs, Cynogriffs, and mules are all in the Mane RP, as well as a proposed lore for a Jackalope that hasn't been approved. So, try to keep it something that would appear in the show or has appeared on the show, like Starswirl said, but if you really want this to happen it doesn't hurt to try! Maybe it would be helpful to read through the approved species list and get some ideas on how to make it work, Stonetribe :D Keep positive and do your best. If you don't make it, at least you can say you tried and had fun with it.

As starswirlthebearded pointed out, we've never seen one in show. Sure, it's a land of magic... but from what we've seen, the creatures there tend to be real-life comparable—at least proportionately. If it were to be a species, there has to be good reason for it to exist. Why, how, and like Winter said, what's the Lore? Where do they come from, where do they live? How would they fit into the FiM universe? Would it be possible to see one in show at some point?

I'd say pretty much the same thing for any new species, even ones that are more normal.

I wouldn't consider them to be normal insects (I'll use insects as an example for now) I think they would lean more towards the idea of an uncommon variant of the insect that's bigger than what they would normally be and gifted with sentience and speech capabilities. I'm not sure if they would come from the continent of insectia (again just an example) or if they would just be born in varies scattered places of equestria. If you wanted me to flesh out a backstory, I wouldn't mind. That being said, the concept wouldn't necessary be limited to bugs. I could see it working for any creature that usually isn't associated with being remotely intelligent or capable of conscience like say a frog or a crab ( I know this might be a bit stretched in equestria standards, example; a wasp and butterfly participating as candidates for rainbow dash's pet; but you know what i mean) This would mean that animals such as dogs or cats wouldn't be possibilities for this as they are already capable of some form of personality. I suppose this is all subject to change, especially since I'm writing this half asleep, just before I go to bed. Like I said, I'm content with leaving it for now. I'll spend some more time on the forums and test it out in free role play to see how it works before trying to submit anything officially.

I wouldn't consider them to be normal insects (I'll use insects as an example for now) I think they would lean more towards the idea of an uncommon variant of the insect that's bigger than what they would normally be and gifted with sentience and speech capabilities. I'm not sure if they would come from the continent of insectia (again just an example) or if they would just be born in varies scattered places of equestria. If you wanted me to flesh out a backstory, I wouldn't mind. That being said, the concept wouldn't necessary be limited to bugs. I could see it working for any creature that usually isn't associated with being remotely intelligent or capable of conscience like say a frog or a crab ( I know this might be a bit stretched in equestria standards, example; a wasp and butterfly participating as candidates for rainbow dash's pet; but you know what i mean) This would mean that animals such as dogs or cats wouldn't be possibilities for this as they are already capable of some form of personality. I suppose this is all subject to change, especially since I'm writing this half asleep, just before I go to bed. Like I said, I'm content with leaving it for now. I'll spend some more time on the forums and test it out in free role play to see how it works before trying to submit anything officially.

The only insect-like creatures that have sentience are changlings and parasprites (and are the parasprites even sentient?). And we all know how those go... But basically, insects are not shown at all to have sentience. The only insects in Equestria that have been shown have been average run of the mill insects... Thus far, only animals on similar scale or bigger than ponies have been shown to possess sentience. IE: Zebra, Sea Serpent, Dragons, Ponies (obviously), Sheep, Donkies, Mules, Griffons. The others on similar scale haven't even shown to be verbal (manticore, Cereberus). Smaller creatures, pretty much anything Fluttershy needs to take care of (which seems to include insects), are nonverbal and non-sentient. They aren't even self-reliant outside of the Everfree Forest.

Unless there is precedence shown in the show, it is unlikely to be accepted in Mane RP.

The only insect-like creatures that have sentience are changlings and parasprites (and are the parasprites even sentient?). And we all know how those go... But basically, insects are not shown at all to have sentience. The only insects in Equestria that have been shown have been average run of the mill insects... Thus far, only animals on similar scale or bigger than ponies have been shown to possess sentience. IE: Zebra, Sea Serpent, Dragons, Ponies (obviously), Sheep, Donkies, Mules, Griffons. The others on similar scale haven't even shown to be verbal (manticore, Cereberus). Smaller creatures, pretty much anything Fluttershy needs to take care of (which seems to include insects), are nonverbal and non-sentient. They aren't even self-reliant outside of the Everfree Forest.

Unless there is precedence shown in the show, it is unlikely to be accepted in Mane RP.

while there hasnt been any precedence for talking insects, they have been shown to have some intelligence, mostly in MTBPW, and putting your hoof down. They show an ability to understand pony speech, and an ability to interact with them on a more thought required basis (helping fluttershy with her training, participating in a contest). While they seem to need a pony to care for them, that also seems to be the case for every animal not in the everfree forest, no matter its intelligence. sentience != language

also, cows dontcha know.

while there hasnt been any precedence for talking insects, they have been shown to have some intelligence, mostly in MTBPW, and putting your hoof down. They show an ability to understand pony speech, and an ability to interact with them on a more thought required basis (helping fluttershy with her training, participating in a contest). While they seem to need a pony to care for them, that also seems to be the case for every animal not in the everfree forest, no matter its intelligence. sentience != language

also, cows dontcha know.

Also, in Equestria, goats seem to have a high level of intelligence (as in 'Putting Your Hoof Down') and sheep can actually talk (as in Sisterhooves Social):

also, cows dontcha know.

But ALL companion animals have been shown to have ability to UNDERSTAND language. Owlicious, Tank, Angel Bunny, Winona, Opal... all seem to understand their owners... They also seem to be able to communicate in some other way through some close connection. But again, that does not make them sentient, nor verbal. There are plenty of animals that are shown to have sentience, companion animals are not one of them. They are companion animals at most with the ability to understand.

I'm pretty sure Stonetribe could make an RP character and make a strong case for a Praying Mantis to be the companion. But a sentient insect is pushing it IMHO.

Apologies for forgetting cows... I knew I was forgetting some of them....

Goats do seem to have higher intelligence, yes. And also seem to be able to communicate with Iron Will... But is it talking? It would make sense since they are wearing headsets....

Thing is, the world of Equestria is mostly populated by creatures of mythology, be it Greek or Norse or similar. Giant insects are not part of any mythology. In fact, I only know them in context of early black and white monster movies.

As such, giant insects are kind of a stretch, I think.

• Like 1