I am EXTREMELY Angry...

Thoth

And everything went better than expected...

Glad your parents were understanding. Parents usually are, even if they come off as pretty harsh at first. I'm probably even more glad to see just how fast we rallied to show our support.

Anyway, have fun at Bronycon Thoth and company. I wish I could go but I have classes through the summer that I can't miss. Perhaps I can make it to the one next January.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned a very valuable lesson in friendship. When other people think of me differently because of what they have heard from the media, I thought there was no other way but to succumb to the bitter reality that I would never change their minds. But after sharing my dilemma with my friends over at Canterlot, I felt a wave of understanding and support that could only make me grin as wide as Pinkie Pie. They showed me the positive traits of this community and how open-minded and understanding we all are. That we aren't just like any other fandom out there, but a special one that marks a profound meaning in our lives and in our hearts.

Your Faithful student,

Thoth

:D

• Like 3

I just typed up a 10 page paper on the brony community and a 25 page outline of research. I could email them to you if you'd like, the outline itself covers almost every aspect of the community itself, good and bad, but mostly good. I would just have to correct the grammar, I was up till 2 o' clock typing it, so it gets pretty bad near the end.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, didn't realize it was taken care of before posting, sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...

im going through the same thing...

sorta, my mom is putting the wrong 2 and 2 together, the face that she sees pink and rainbows in the show makes her think that im gay

how do i explain THAT to her without her thinking that im just trying to be "unique" or "popular" in school? Even more importantly, me being gay?

i mean really, its a kids show, why would she guess that?

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: unless you're really gay (as if there's anything wrong with this), if someone infers that you are, in fact, gay for liking FiM, ask them how watching or liking a cartoon can decide what your sex preference is. See what they say.

• Like 6

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: unless you're really gay (as if there's anything wrong with this), if someone infers that you are, in fact, gay for liking FiM, ask them how watching or liking a cartoon can decide what your sex preference is. See what they say.

I have said the same thing. Usually when people are faced with such a question they stumble. Same thing with what is wrong with being gay (unless they follow the Bible and cite Leviticus, and so help them if they pull that card with me, I didn't suffer through 15 years of Catholic schooling for nothing! Or they pull out the "it's unnatural" card, and same thing... I didn't survive a science major for nothing if I couldn't handle a little thing like that!).

• Like 1

I have said the same thing. Usually when people are faced with such a question they stumble. Same thing with what is wrong with being gay (unless they follow the Bible and cite Leviticus, and so help them if they pull that card with me, I didn't suffer through 15 years of Catholic schooling for nothing! Or they pull out the "it's unnatural" card, and same thing... I didn't survive a science major for nothing if I couldn't handle a little thing like that!).

Science? Check!

Religion? Check!

All you need is a social science like philosophy or psychology, and you can debate anything!

well its more of dealing with a family-obsessed mom...

trust me, last time i did something rainbow related, she freaked and spent 35 minutes talking to me... 35 pointless minutes of my life that i'll never get back...

all i really need is a way to just get her to understand or to just zip it (sorry if that last part sounded a little vulgar)

well its more of dealing with a family-obsessed mom...

trust me, last time i did something rainbow related, she freaked and spent 35 minutes talking to me... 35 pointless minutes of my life that i'll never get back...

all i really need is a way to just get her to understand or to just zip it (sorry if that last part sounded a little vulgar)

So... Your mother's reaction was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq0MdXnZem0

(OK not really, but same word and subsequent reaction I'm sure)

Edit: Also... why does everyone forget the awesomeness of rainbows? Rainbows have and always will be awesome! And at the very least, you can always convince gold seeking XD

I love rainbows too! Especially dashing rainbows. Or double rainbows. All the way across the sky.

About your mom having a strong reaction, say this if you get another sexuality lecture: "Don't worry, your grand kids are safe."

Zing.

I showed my grandma on my stepdads side, a shirt from WeLoveFine called "The Balance" and she kinda questioned my sanity about as she put it, this fantasy I have been letting consume my days. I'll get the post and copy it if you wanna see what she said

Here is what she said,

"Sian, I question all this fantasy you are letting consume your days. Are you interested in the art side of it? Reality isn't always easy to understand nor fun to be in but childhood does change as we grow into adulthood. And this is a good thing for God's plan is that we enjoy childhood, learn responsibilities along the way to becoming an adult, where we find an job to support ourselves. He gives us interests, which maybe you enjoy the story line/art work and could design a series yourself. But just to sit and play in this fantasy land is not a good thing for a young man your age. Sian, look into finding a computer class that will help you in finding a job to get out into the job world and establish your own home. See you Sat. G"

She makes some valid points and at least understands a little.... But I feel that she would flip if she saw my blind bags... And she's coming tomorrow! Should I wear my pony swag or be Fluttershy and be very quiet? I am so nervous!

Here is what she said,

"Sian, I question all this fantasy you are letting consume your days. Are you interested in the art side of it? Reality isn't always easy to understand nor fun to be in but childhood does change as we grow into adulthood. And this is a good thing for God's plan is that we enjoy childhood, learn responsibilities along the way to becoming an adult, where we find an job to support ourselves. He gives us interests, which maybe you enjoy the story line/art work and could design a series yourself. But just to sit and play in this fantasy land is not a good thing for a young man your age. Sian, look into finding a computer class that will help you in finding a job to get out into the job world and establish your own home. See you Sat. G"

She makes some valid points and at least understands a little.... But I feel that she would flip if she saw my blind bags... And she's coming tomorrow! Should I wear my pony swag or be Fluttershy and be very quiet? I am so nervous!

God has a plan? What happened to free will? Wouldn't free will get in the way of that plan or was free will all a farce? That always confused me as a kid and no one was able to give me a legitimate answer when it came down to "Well do I have control over my life or not????" The ending answer was always something like "Yes you have free will, but you are following God's plan" What the hay?! That means my life is predetermined and I have no control! And they wonder why I became atheist!

That said, it has been shown, pretty conclusively that people who tend to fantasize more tend to be smarter. That is because fantasy leads to imagination, and imagination leads to usable intelligence. Nothing comes of doing the same things over and over. Even Albert Einstein said "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." In the end, if living in a fantasy world helps you think and be creative in ways others are incapable of, then it is only beneficial. This fandom has inspired more creation than most. And that is to be admired, not scoffed at.

As for what you should do... Do what you feel comfortable with.

I think everything happens for a reason, even if we don't like the reason -- and the reasons are often the consequences of our choices, unconsciously or otherwise. You choose to like pony. What's the real consequence? You're watching a cartoon that promotes kindness, understanding, and friendship. You're so misguided!

Good luck, Silver! I really wouldn't sweat it.

Well, nothing really happened! I showed her my shirts and she liked them! Especially the Fluttershy Noiveau shirt. The subject of me watching the show didn't even come up! Granted, I did spend a bit of time in my room as well.