Out For Lunch (Phil)

IceStorm

It had been little over a month now since Ice Storm had moved to Ponyville, and only a couple weeks since she'd gotten Frozen Delights open and it had been a hit in the town, something that she was very much happy about. The fact that she actually had the bits to do things for herself now took a lot of stress off of her, and made her feel more comfortable with herself without having to rely on the generosity of the ponies here in Ponyville, which even as kind and generous as they are, can only go so far. She was glad that she didn't have to test how far. Today was a day of redemption for her though. Well not really redemption, but it was to her. It had been almost a month since she bought her glorious dress from Rarity and has even since been to a Gala with it since. Now that her views on Canterlot had changed somewhat, she figured that she would be getting more use out of it, and would eventually be another dress if for nothing else other than variety. That wasn't why she was going to Rarity's today though. No, as for now the dress she had was perfect. Today she was going to pay off the last ten bits that she owed Rarity as well as treat her for lunch if she was interested.

Ice Storm approached the boutique and opened the door seeing that the sign said open. She looked at some of the other dresses that were on the racks, and just like before she found herself mesmerized by the sight of them. They were so elegant and magnificent, that some of them even made hers look simple. Which, in all honest it was, but it was still perfect for her. She did purchase one of the cheaper dresses she though, but then again she wasn't sure because she suspect that Rarity dropped the price a bit for her. Not that it mattered, Ice padded her way further into the store. "Rarity, are you home? I came in because the sign said open," she stated, not seeing her when she immediately walked in.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was another slow day at Carousel Boutique. When the customers dried up, Rarity had moved into the back to take a rare moment to just lie back and relax. She sat comfortably on her favorite sofa, reading a Canterlot-based fashion magazine, just generally feeling remarkably calm. At the same time, she was ever ready to get back to work the second the second chime attached to the boutique door informed her she had a customer. When this did happen, she nodded and got onto her hooves.

"Just a second, darling," she called toward the front of the shop as she set down her magazine and straightened her mane. She trotted out into the show room then, where she was surprised to see a familiar face.

Ice Storm. A former customer and from her experience just generally good pony, not to mention the maker of the best snow cone Rarity had ever tried. It was good to see this pony here. Rarity hadn't seen her very often recently, though she had endeavored to stop by Frozen Delights every so often to try different delectables the icy-colored mare prepared.

"What a pleasure to see you here today, Ice Storm, darling," Rarity said with an approving nod. "What can I do for you today?" she asked, smiling.

Ice Storm smiled when Rarity cam out of the back. She was worried that maybe she had gone off to fulfill one of her other orders and had forgotten to take her sign down. If that had been the case, Ice would have sat and waited outside her boutique until she got back to make sure that nopony tried anything. Granted this was Ponyville, and things like that were nearly unheard of here, it didn't mean that Ice wasn't worried about it. It was a moot concern though at the moment because Rarity was right in front of her, and greeted her. When she asked what she could do for her, Ice just reached into her saddle bag and pulled out the ten bits that she owed her and placed them on her counter. "Oh not a whole lot today. I was just coming over today to pay you the bits that I owed you and to see if you wanted to go for lunch, my treat," she asked the white mare politely.

Rarity smiled at the other mare.

"Thanks. It's quite admirable of you. A lot of pony's would have forgotten to ever pay up," Rarity said as she took the bits. "It means a lot that you've remained so adamant about paying me back, even though I would have gladly taken my payment in those delightful snow cones of yours."

Rarity giggled and gave a nod. "Speaking of delectable things to eat, I'd be most pleased to join you for lunch. As it happens today is one of the lightest I've had recently. I won't be missing anything in leaving here for a while on a day like this."

It was rare that she got to enjoy lunch out. Usually she cooked her own meals to eat at the Boutique. On a quiet day like this though, she wouldn't be missing out on anything by going out for once.

Ice smiled back at Rarity's words. Hearing her say how much it meant that she remained so adamant about paying her back. She giggled back, "Well why wouldn't I be. You've been so nice to me it's only proper I make sure you get all you deserve, and the free snow cones are just for being a good friend," Ice smiled. She knew how much Rarity loved her snow cones so i was only decent of her as her friend to cut her a break where most vendors wouldn't.

When she agreed to go to lunch it made Ice even more happy. It'd been a while since she got to spend any decent time with Rarity. Between their schedules, the times that she came to her Frozen Delights was really the only time that she got to see Rarity anymore. That was something that she wanted to amend. Perhaps they could find something else that they have in common while on lunch that they could do together more often. "Delightful, where are you thinking?" she asked wanting to make sure that Rarity was happy. She had more than enough bits at this point to cover all but the super most expensive restaurants.

"That's quite kind of you," Rarity started with a nod at the other pony. "However I must insist that I start paying for your snow cones soon. It doesn't seem right for me to get something so good for free."

She gave a small laugh and then stepped ahead. "As for lunch, I'll let you decide. I'd be delighted with just about anything really," she said with another nod.

"I don't need anything too fancy. Something more casual would be fine," she added, smiling.

Ice could only smile when Rarity insisted that she start paying for the snow cones soon. That it didn't seem right to get something so good for free. "Okay, okay. As long as you accept a freebie ever now and then at least," Ice storm said as she followed Rarity out of the store. She told her that she could decide where they ate at, that it didn't have to be anything fancy, that something more casual would be just fine. "The cafe then? I don't really know of many other places to go to," she stated walking next to her.

Rarity smiled and nodded. "I suppose I couldn't very well refuse the occasional free treat," she said as she exited her shop, making sure to flip her open sign as she did.

"The cafe sounds just lovely, dear," she said in response to the suggestion. "I'd be delighted to accompany you there."

Ice laughed and walked along side Rarity to the cafe watching as she made sure to flip the open sign around so that customers didn't waltz in with no one there. "It's been so long since we've actually had a chance to talk. In fact, the only time we've met prior to that that wasn't business related was the first day I came to Ponyville at the party for Gerty and Golden's anniversary. It's hard to believe it's been just over a month already," she said smiling. "Speaking of which, I'm sorry it took so long to get the bits back to you. I had intended on paying it out of my first few sales, but I had to double my supply orders because I had run out of supplies. Which was why I was closed a few days ago." she explained. "It's a good thing though, it means everypony likes them," she added with a laugh.

Rarity gave a laugh as she walked beside the other mare. "Indeed, that's definitely a good sign for a new business when supply cannot keep up with demand. I'm not surprised though. Everything I've tried from your shop has been exquisite."

"But you are right. It has been far too long since we met socially," Rarity said with a smile. "So has anything happened in the mean time? Are you liking it here in Ponyville?"

Ice nodded when Rarity said that it was a good sign for a new business when supply can't meet the demand that it created. It was true, but it also held a bad side to it. What if everypony thought that she was unprepared for not being able to foresee such an occurrence happening? She cast the though off. Business hasn't dropped off hardly at all since then so it was a good sign for things to come. When Rarity asked if anything had happened since she came to Ponyville, and if she was enjoying it here. "Oh I am enjoying it very much. Sometimes even though Lore is letting me stay at his house until I get a place of my own, I still stay out at the part. The evenings here are so beautiful it should almost be a crime to spent them in doors," she said jokingly. "Aside from that though, I was actually back in Canterlot not that long ago. I don't know what I did to impress anypony there, but I somehow managed to receive an invitation to the Not-Quite-As-Grand Galloping Gala that was there not too long ago. It was odd, I thought everypony there would have hated me at this point, but I found out it was quite the opposite. Most of them didn't even know I existed, which... honestly I'm still not sure how I feel about that," she admitted.

Rarity nodded as she listened to Ice's story.

"Ah, Lore. That's that stallion I met at your shop at the grand opening, right? How is his bookstore coming along?" Rarity asked in a steady voice.

"You're right about it being beautiful here. I kind of tend to take it for a granted being it's what I've known all my life, but when I am away I do miss it," she nodded steadily.

"But a gala you say? That's wonderful. Or... well, I suppose my own experienced with galas have not all been positive," Rarity said, rolling her eyes as her thoughts went to a certain royal unicorn stallion for a moment. "Still, I trust you dazzled in that dress that I made for you?"

Ice nodded when Rarity asked if that was the stallion that she had met at her shop's grand opening. "The bookshop is coming along nicely. I haven't been able to help him with it as much as I've wanted to recently, and I feel bad for it. I've mainly just been trying to keep things organized so that he can do things quickly. With any luck though he should be opening within the week," she answered, listing as Rarity added that she was right about the scenery here, that she herself often took it for granted until she wasn't around. Ice nodded, "I know. something that I thought was kind of funny is that I could see the evening and night time starts that Luna displays better from here in Ponyville than I could from the park in Canterlot, and she lives there!" Ice said with a small Giggle, that turned a bit sour when Rarity she said that her own experience with Gala's hadn't been all that great, saying that it was wonderful that she got to go to one though.

"Well, if I would have known before I got there that I could bring a guest I would have invited you to come with me. Starburst really did a good job with it. Her only mistake was inviting Iron Will... whom apparently thought that Heavy metal was appropriate Gala music," she said as Rarity asked about the dress. "Of course. How could I show my face at such an event without representing the best dress maker in all of Equestria?" she said with a smile. "Oh and speaking of Luna, after the Gala, I got to meet her and spend the rest of the evening with her! That made the entire trip worth everything. I also got a chance to Speak to Fleur, she was also very nice. They all did a really good job of making me feel horrible about bad mouthing Canterlot like I was," she admitted as the came up to the Cafe.

"Ah, well that's good. I wish him the best. I still hope to pay his shop a visit when it opens," Rarity said with a nod on the subject of Lore.

She smiled and gave another nod at her comments about the scenery. "I think that's because Canterlot's air is more dense with magic. It's harder to see through it then it is here in Ponyville, where our population is still predominately earth pony."

She listened even more closely as Ice Storm discussed the Gala. She nodded a few more times. "Ah, Starburst has been a customer of mine before. In fact, she may have invited me to that very gala; I just happened to have a prior engagement."

"That's actually a lot of familiar names. I never met this Iron Will, but I am all too familiar with his his methods. Luna is of course an acquaintance, and Fleur is also a friend. Funny how you might meet with so many familiar ponies," Rarity said, grinning as they went into the cafe. "I'm happy to hear things went well for you though!"

"I am as well. Like I said, I was caught off guard with how nice everypony was," she commented letting out a giggle when Rarity said that she had a way of meeting so many familiar ponies. "Perhaps that's just because we share very similar traits," she smiled. "And nice to hear that Starburst was a customer of yours, though I figured as much when I saw her there with the dress she had. I really wish you could have come, especially since you said that your first Gala experience didn't go as planned."

She felt bad for Rarity. She couldn't possible understand why anypony would want to be rude to her. She was one of the nicest ponies she'd met. At the mention of the difference in population and magic density, she understood why everything was more vibrant here. "Makes sense, just an amusing thought."

"Speaking of dresses, where do you normally have your dresses cleaned? I don't want to take something so delicate just anywhere," she asked. She wanted to make sure her dress is spotless before whenever it would be that she would need to use it again.

Rarity smiled as ice Storm said they had common traits. She supposed she was right. She could see some of herself in this pony. She nodded and continued to listen.

"I wouldn't worry about my poor Gala experience, darling. It was really all because of just one pony, and I've had successful social events since," she said in response to the gala comments. "All that said, I do believe I would find time to attend the Grand Galloping Gala if I were invited again. It is silly to let one sour experience ruin such a glamorous event permanently!"

"As for cleaning dresses, you could find professional launderers to employ if you lack confidence in your own skill with such things, though you may have to go to Canterlot for such things; most ponies around Ponyville do not wear a lot of clothing," Rarity said with a nod as she found her way into the cafe, finding a table to sit at. "I personally do my own laundry. If you do that, you have to know your fabrics though and how they'll react to heat and water. That dress I sold you is delicate but it shouldn't shrink on you. It's pretty safe to wash."

Ice nodded when Rarity said that she shouldn't worry about her poor gala experience, that she's had several successful social events since then, and that she would find the time to attend the Gran Galloping Gala again if she were to receive an invitation for it again. "I think I would if I got invited as well. I'm not much for all the high class there, but if a majority of the nice ponies from Starburst's gala are there, not to mention if there are other friends there as well, then I can just stay with them and avoid everypony else. Considering that I'm friends with Luna now, I don't think it would be that out of the question. If I get invited I'll definitely see if I can bring a guest if you don't get one as well," she said to her.

She also listened to her say that the dress, even though was delicate, should be okay to put in the wash. that if she didn't trust herself with it, the only professional launderers she knew of were in Canterlot. Which means that they would probably be expensive, she thought to herself. When Rarity added that she did her own laundry, and she realized how much more time and effort went into each dress than she originally thought if she was the one that made sure everything was in tip top shape all on her own. She had just gained a whole new level of respect for Rarity, and she was very happy to be considered a friend with her. "Well, That's some good news then. I was certain that the dress would have been dry clean only because of the gemstones," she admitted. Fashion definitely wasn't her strong suit, and how to handle it was even less of one.

The were lead to one of the open tables and the waitress asked for their drinks. "I'll take a strawberry soda please, and anything that she'd like," she added pointing to Rarity.

"Well, one of my best friends ever, Twilight Sparkle, happens to be Celestia's own private student. I myself have corresponded with Her Majesty before. I imagine I could get an invitation if I expressed that I wanted one," Rarity said with a soft smile. "It's good to hear you and Luna are becoming close. So many pony's are quick to judge her. I never found that quite right. It's good to know she could make a firm friend like you."

She nodded before changing subjects to the dress. "Do be careful with the dress though. It is delicate. Don't just throw it in carelessly with other clothes."

When he waitress arrived and Ice ordered, Rarity nodded. "I'll have iced tea with lemon, darling."

"Oh yeah, I've heard Twilight mentioned several times. She runs the Library right? I'll have to get over there some time to see if she has any books about ice magic there so that I can find a more efficient way to do things while still maintaining the quality of my work. I do love the popularity but it does make it a tad difficult to keep up every once in a while. I'd rather be that though than to be struggling for customers. Most of them don't usually mind the wait because I make sure everything's perfect in the end," she finished on that subject.

Rarity went on to mentioned the one thing that she hated the most though and that she completely agreed with her on, the fact that everypony is so quick to forsake Luna without even giving her a chance. Luna is a wonderful pony and a wonderful friend! Granted she's only spoke with her once be even from the once night together it was enough for Ice to see the soft-heartedness of Luna. "I completely agree. I hate how most are so quick to judge others anymore. She's already paid for her mistakes and spent 1000 years completely alone as it was, and she couldn't do anything about it. Now she has the chance to meat other ponies and most avoid her like the Plague, or so I've heard anyway. I'm glad that I was able to make friends with her myself so that she knows she does have at least one friend," she added.

Rarity also mentioned that she shouldn't put the dress in with any other clothing when she went to wash it, that it was very very delicate in that sense. "Oh don't worry, this dress is the only one I have at the moment. When I said I had to sell everything to move to Ponyville, I meant everything," she finished as she waited for the waitress to bring back their drinks.

"Ah, consulting Twilight might do you well then. That pony knows everything about magic. If there is a better way to do it, she'll know something about it!" Rarity said with a sharp nod.

Rarity smiled at how Ice described Luna. She seemed passionate to defend her friend. That was great. "Luna is lucky to have found a friend like you, darling."

The dressmaker was mildly surprised by the pony's words on the dress. She hadn't considered that the pony didn't have any other clothing to watch. "Ah, I see. Well, that's too bad that you had to give so much up, darling. I'm sure you'll get it all back and more in time."

Ice blushed a bit when Rarity said that Luna was lucky to have found a friend like her. It was the truth for sure, because Ice would defend Luna's honor until the day that she died. "Thanks, I'd defend any of my friends to that extent. All of my friends are very important to me. Gosh, if it wasn't for my friends I wouldn't have anything close to a family," she admitted.

Rarity also mentioned that Twilight knew everything about magic and if there was a better way for her to do something she would be the first pony to know about it. "I'll keep that in mind. Do you happen to know any time when she's not busy with anything? I don't want to seem like I'm intruding upon her at any time," she asked as she also heard her mention that she was sure that she would be able to recover everything in no time.

"Oh I'm sure I will. Leaving Canterlot wasn't the first time I'd lost everything that I owned. In fact, it was the least devastating of the two."

Rarity's expression evened at the first sentiment. That was kind of sad. Actual family was important too. Even for all their differences, Rarity still valued her connection with her parents and Sweetie. It was a sad thing that this pony didn't seem to have such things to fall back in.

"Well, it is great that you've found good friends then, darling," Rarity said. She didn't want to press any conversations that might prove hard for the other, so she'd just leave it at that for now.

"Twilight is a busy, busy pony. But I'm sure if you swing by the library often enough you'll find time to meet with her eventually," Rarity added, nodding.

And then, right after that, the pony turned back to somber matters. Rarity nodded. "Well, if you'd like to discuss any of it, I'm all ears, darling."

Ice frowned slightly when Rarity said that Twilight was a very busy pony.That probably means I'll never get to speak to her then, because I hate walking in or disturbing another pony while they are busy, she thought to herself. The waitress finally brought back their drinks, not that she was in a hurry, but it took longer than normal. They did seem to be a bit busy, so she understood. Rarity also nodded saying that it was good that she had at least found some friends, and if she wanted to talk about any of if that she was all ears. For Rarity to offer help with something like this was very generous of her, but something told ice that here wasn't the place for this type of talk. "Perhaps talking about it will do my some good, and perhaps qualm some of the aches that hurt inside. I don't know if an place so open as this would be good to talk about such issues," she said. "Maybe after we eat we can head back to your place, or wecan go back to my store and I could just close up early, then I would feel more comfortable, I just know that once I start, I don't think I'll be able to stop..." she added already feeling somewhat shaky from the memories.

Rarity gave a nod. Ice was right. This was hardly the place to go into such things.

"I'd be delighted to accompany wherever you want to go after lunch," she said with a smile. "If you would want to confide in me, I would be honored to listen."

The unicorn sipped at her iced tea and nodded. Yeah, she'd be happy to listen to a friend's troubles. That's what being generous was about.

Ice Storm felt a small sigh of relief when Rarity said that it didn't matter to her, that where ever they went, that if she needed a pony to talk to she was there for her. She was also very worried though. What if Rarity thought less of her because of what happened to her? What if this had a negative impact on their friendship... what if she found it silly? She couldn't help but ask herself all of these questions, yet at the same time, Rarity had been one of the nicest ponies she's met to date. She would be understanding yes? Ice hoped so at least. "In any sense no need to let a conversation we haven't had yet ruin the fun. What about yourself? We've done a lot of talking about me, but I still know so little about you, you know other than the fact that you're nice, beautiful, and the best dress maker in Equestria," she added with a giggle on the end.

The waitress came back and asked if they were ready to order. "Yes, I'd like one of those delightful Ceaser Salads that you have here! Those are always so good!" she said sounding much happier. "oh, and all of this will be on one," she added with a smile. The waitress nodded and then turned to Rarity for her order.