Out For Lunch (Phil)

IceStorm

Ice laid there on the couch trying her hardest to keep back the tears as Rarity spoke. She had taken the memories a lot better than she thought she would and so far at least hasn't had a emotional break down. She was sobbing and there were occasional tears yes, but the flood gates haven't been opened yet. As she listened to Rarity though, the emotions in her heart grew, and not in a negative way. Rarity said that she had no idea that Fillydelphia ha gotten so bad with image obsessed Aristocrates. She also said that she understood the desire for status, but compared to friends, and compared to family it just wasn't worth it. She mentioned that not long ago she had been in a situation where she was caught between impressing the Canterlot upper crust and staying true to her friends. She choce her friends and when she did, that she was fortunate enough that the socialites that she was involved with were genuine and respectable ponies as to not judge for it.

She further stated that she failed to conceive why a pony would make the other decision. That a rift in the family was never a pleasant thing and she mentioned that she had experienced a few troubles of her own through some oversights, and once she realized that things weren't right she did everything in her power to make sure it was resolved. That she couldn't imagine being forced to sever the ties with her or any of her family further adding that she didn't know what her parents were thinking, but that it was shameful on their part. When Rarity told her that she had good friends here now that she could count on to stay by here. The tears that were starting to form as tears of sadness where now a mixture of both happiness and sadness. "And that is why I hold friends closer to me than family, and I try so hard not to make anypony angry at me. It's also why it angers me to see other ponies treat other ponies poorly. That was the main reason I didn't get along with anyone in Canterlot when I lived there before. I was always bullied in the school of magic and I would always push back. The very reason I left Canterlot was so that I wouldn't lose my temper one day and snap," she sighed.

"At the very least the last few times I've been to Canterlot have turned out well. I haven't really run into anypony there recently that's caused any issues. So there's that at least. I can't thank you enough for listening though. I was, honestly expecting to be a bit more uncontrollable when I was retelling the memories... I had never spoken about this with anypony else before and I thought for sure I would end up shouting and crying a lot more than I did. All I can say though is that I'm very lucky to have met you and even more so to have you as a friend. Shoot, most ponies in Ponyville are like Family to me at this point even if I haven't met most of them yet," she said with a smile trying to wipe the tears from her eyes.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rarity continued to listen closely to what Ice was saying. It was definitely difficult stuff. She had clearly been through some quite trying times and definitely needed friends to rely on.

"That's terrible really. Family is such a beautiful thing. It's a true shame you've lost so much faith in something as beautiful as family... though with the choices your parents made, I suppose I can't blame you." Rarity gave a long, audible sight. "After all of this, you truly deserve the kindness Ponyville has thus far shown you, dear."

Rarity smiled and gave a small nod before continuing. "You do have friends here now, and we will support you. If you need to talk about these difficult things, you know where to come. I'll always be happy to listen." Rarity gave a small laugh. "Well, unless I'm running late on an important deadline... then you might have to wait!"

Ice could only smile and as much as she tried to hold back she couldn't keep a couple tears from flowing down the side of her cheeks at the words that Rarity spoke to her. She was so sincere and it made her feel a bit foolish for even thinking that she would feel otherwise. She stated that it was a true shame that she had lost so much faith in her own family, but after hearing what she went though she understood. She also stated that she truly did deserve the kindness that Ponyville has offered her thus far. Inside she could only hope that would continue. After hearing Rarity mention though, that she had friends here now that will support her, and if she ever needed to talk about difficult things, that she knew where to come. Almost on instinct, she moved to Rarity and hugged her. Ice had been truly lucky to find a friend as good as she's been, and the fact that her opinion of Ice, as far as she knew, hadn't changed, she now felt like she could trust Rarity with anything. She released the hug.

"Thank you," she said wiping a tear from her eye. "Still, I'd be lying if I said that I don't miss my parents... and at the very least find out why... or maybe I don't want to find out why... I haven't prepared myself for finding out and not liking the answer..." she said with a sigh. "Though, on a little bit brighter of a note, if I'm ever in the area and you're running late on a delivery, like I said during lunch, I'll be more than willing to help in any way I can. As good of a friend as you've been to me, it's the very least I can do," she added, her mind trying to flow over the conversation and the memories again. She had to shake them away. "Oh, I know the perfect way for us to get back into a decent mood rather than being all sour. We can come up with something for the new dress I was thinking about!!" she suggested trying to get away from the negative thoughts before they took he rover again.

"Well... maybe someday you'll find your answers," Rarity said in a quiet voice, smiling faintly. "I hope you do at least."

She nodded steadily as her smile brightened. "And I do thank you for the courteous offer, darling. I will always keep it in mind."

"Oh? You'd like us to work on your second dress now then? I'd be most delighted!" The unicorn laughed and gave single additional nod before jumping up onto her hooves. "Come, follow me back into the showroom, darling so that we might come up with something fabulous!"

Ice Smiled and nodded when Rarity mentioned that she would keep her offer in mind. She really hoped that she wouldn't hesitate to ask if she needed help with anything. After all, it was the least she could do. Rarity hearing that she wanted to go ahead and start working on her new dress seemed to be very happy about that as well and offered to bring her into the show room. She followed her in, and she looked around at the different designs and patterns on most of the dresses trying to think of something that would be suiting. She knew that she wanted another Ice-like drese, but she didn't know wheather to try to go for a frozen pond color or perhaps something different.

"Well, I want to keep it somewhat similar to a frosty design. Something that looks amazing, but chilling at the same time. I haven't really thought of a color though... What do you think would work?" she asked knowing Rarity had a lot more knowledge on the subject of fashion than she could ever hope to.

Rarity nodded as the other unicorn described what she was looking for. For a pony named Ice Storm who even made her way in the world selling frozen treats, something ice themed definitely was more than suitable. The unicorn laughed. Yep, it was of course perfect, and it would definitely compliment this pony given her complimentarily icy coat and mane colors.

"Hmmm...." Rarity spoke, considering her options. "Well, if I recall the first dress I sold you was mostly white. Perhaps a mild to medium blue for this one? I think it could compliment the blue in your mane." she said picturing Ice in an elegant blue dress.

Nodding her head slightly, she then took a step back. "What are you're thoughts on the style. Gems? High elegance, like the last? Or are you looking for something more straight forward?"

The thoughts that were coursing though Ice's ming about the dresses were that of logic. Rarity had suggested a blue dress for her, perhaps one that would bring out her mane a bit more, and then asked about her thoughts on style, whether she wanted it to be simple in straight forward or if it was to be something of higher elegance and maybe even have gems in it like the last one. Ice thought for a few moments.

"As far as the style of the dress, I think high elegance is a must. The only time I even wear dresses are at formal events that require them so the higher the elegance, the less likely I am to have to deal with the nobles bickering at whatever event I'm at. As far as gems are concerned, If they would fit with the style you had in mind for the dress, then I would love them, but if not, then I think the overall fashion style should take precedent, so I guess only if they work. AS far as the blue though, I like the idea but what shade of blue, do we want it to match my mane or be somewhere in between my mane and my coat? What do you thing would look good?" she asked after giving her opinion on most of the suggestions. A smile and a warmth filled her. this was definitely a much better conversation than the one they had not too long ago.

Rarity continued to nod at the pony's suggestions. The pony did have a point, she supposed. For a pony like herself who worked in fashion, having a healthy variety of options from which to choose was essential, but for a pony who didn't frequent such circles, it wasn't so crucial.

"Hmm, personally I wouldn't go quite so dark as the blue in your mane. Still, I want it to be bold and striking... but softer. Definitely something in the middle, but something vibrant and not dull," she said as she paced around her head, trying to visualize the dress.

"Beyond the color, and the gems and all that, I'm more curious as to what kind of dress you're looking for? You said eloquent, but eloquence can be many things. What kind of impression do you want to make when you enter the room? Do you want to boldly awe the crowd with extravagance? Charm them with your beauty, perhaps? Maybe you just want to be quietly admired for chic style? Or do you want something that said grace and poise, to garner respect?" Rarity asked, still trying to find her base concept to go on.

The many different styles of Eloquence that Rarity had mentioned off to her sent Ice for a loop. She hadn't thought that there could be so many different styles for a style! It was definitely a good thing that she was taking Rarity's advice on the matter. She'd be at a complete loss on the entire thing. She thought about the options that were being presented to her. She agreed that going with an in between blue would be the best choice for color as long as it was vibrant, and she thought about which style would fit that kind of color.

"Perhaps if there would be a way to make it to where I could combine Grace and Poise with the Charming effect, then I thing that would work. I would suppose that it would have to lean more towards the charming side though because well, I'm not a noblepony. I don't have that, 'Grace and Poise' that most ponies have to show off. The last thing I want to be though, is the center of attention. In a big group of ponies, the last thing I want is all eyes on me for long periods of time," she admitted to her.

• 2 weeks later...

Rarity gave a small nod. She could really see it now. Something elegant, graceful and alluring that would draw the eye of ponies all around, but not in any of the bad or lingering ways. She smiled, pleased with the vision in her head.

"Excellent! I do believe I have the perfect design in my head for a dress which will capture all of your strongest points, darling!" Rarity declared boldly, a grin on her face.

Nodding a few more times, she offered the pony a smile. "Do you wish to wait around and see my design sketch? I don't think it will take very long."

Ice was happy that the information she had given Rarity seemed to click and instantly had an idea about what the dress should be like. She had a large smile on her face and seemed that everything was going right for once. She asked if she would like to wait around to see the design sketch, she said that it shouldn't take very long. "Sure, It's not like I have anything better to do at the moment. I don't see anypony waiting for me to open back up quite yet so I should still have plenty of time," she told Rarity excitedly.