Continued Correspondence (SteelEagle and Phil the Time Wizard)

Snowfall gave a fond sigh as she sat in her hotel room one night. She had been in Manehattan for almost a week now, but her mind was still more preoccupied with a certain playful pegasus mare than it was the countless business meetings she had conducted since coming her. Sure, it hadn't even been a full week yet, but she couldn't resist any longer. Pathfinder had requested they write each other, and Snow couldn't resist any longer to do so.

Sitting up at her desk, finding a quill pen and some fine paper, she started to pen a letter to her new fillyfriend.

Dearest Pathfinder,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. It hasn't even been a week yet and already I'm compelled to write to you. I find my mind still lost in the twist and turns of the obstacle course with you. It's at times consuming, though somehow I still manage to get my work done--something of a relief considering how very much I have to do.

Manehattan is a city I've always been fond of. Have you been here? I'll assume you have; an adventurer of your breadth of experience has surely been all over Equestria. I've always felt at home in this city though. It reminds me of my own Stalliongrad more than any other major city, though I suppose the weather leaves something to be desired.

I think my work is going well. I told you of the Trans-Equestrian Railroad Project I'm currently engaged in. Much of this business trip is tied to that. My choice for chief engineer on the project is attached to our Manehattan branch. Mainly I've been laying out goals for her team. The primary thing we need is a new design for a train; one with enough locomotive power to move through rugged, mountainous terrain with ease. Second to that we need explosives and digging devices to be used to clear tunnels efficiently. There's a lot to consider, but I trust this employee of mine to come up with the solutions to all the problems this project presents.

Her name's Vivid Flair. She's one of the brightest minds working for me. She's also a hippogriff, which I think sends the right message. This project will bring Equestria and Aquelia closer together, after all, so putting a hippogriff in charge of the technical side seems particularly right to me. Even if that weren't the case though, I can think of none more qualified for the job.

You'd probably like her too. She's eccentric but difficult to really read and always seems kind of tired. Kind of hard to work with, but she's never not gotten the job done. One of our meetings took a detour somewhere and we ended up having an enthusiastic discourse about our favorite Daring Do novels. She settled on a more recent one I hadn't read: Daring Do and the Knights of Gilded Hoof. I eventually settled on the first in the series; a boring response, I know, but I guess it's just what stayed with me most. I digress. Vivid seems quite enamored with the character and her ingenuity. It's surprising how many fans Daring Do seems to have.

I suppose I'm kind of rambling now. I can't imagine you'd find a detailing of my work and my employees all that fascinating. I'm not accustomed to writing letters like this. I can only hope you don't find it dull; I'm just not entirely sure what to say. Still, I've been thinking of you a lot and had to reach out to you.

Next week I'm headed to a small frontier town called Appleloosa, which is to be a key location for our railroad. I've included with this letter the address of the inn I'll be staying at should this reach you soon and you feel the need to respond immediately.

Regardless, I look forward to hearing of your latest adventure,

Yours truly,

Snowfall

Snowfall smiled at the letter. Sure it was a little awkward, and probably kind of dull, but she was sure Pathfinder would enjoy it all the same. The next morning she would mail it first thing.

• Like 1

Hi Snowy!

Sorru for being so late but sometimes that happens when you're out in the world and you don't get stuff on time which is common because I don't stay in one place for long. Except for the hospital stays but I wasn't in the hospital. At least what I remember of it I wasn't in the hospital. There is always the chance I was under mind control and don't remember it but I don't think that's really likely.

I got your letter kinda late because I didn't make it back to Cloudsdale very fast. I had went back into the cave to retrieve some items I had dropped from my saddlebag and check out that cave some more. Problem was that those mutants were ready! That was a really interesting pair of days, I tell you. Did you know that they thought the world had ended and that I was under some sort of mind control? Funny how once I pulled a lever and flew down an open mind shaft and they saw their old camp the memories flooded back. It's always a little weird when the creatures who were trying to kill and eat you suddenly start sobbing and clutching at you like a foal. It also turns out it was all a ploy by the head mutant who wanted to keep hidden the fact that they had accidentaly been turned into mutants by messing around with a black orb they found.

Well, I was too curious and tried to take the orb and I lost my wings and had two extra legs. Imagine my surprise! And I was a stallion. I don't remember the next few days but I know I went down deeper and deeper into the mountain and returned the orb to its original home, and all of the magic vanished. The mutants vanished too since apparently they had been there for centuries, and I got my wings back! Yay!

And I'm a mare again. That's nice too! Of course the freakin' orb vanished so I got out of the mess without anything. That sucked! It sucked hard! I camped out in the hills and rested up for the next few days, found some food(though I did lose about eight pounds in those two days) and got myself back up to speed. Then I made my way back to Cloudsdale and found your letter a few days after you had sent it.

I was so excited! I nearly broke the orphanage's mailbox by slapping it shut so hard and then I flew to the very top of the city and read it aloud to myself seven or twenty times. It was so nice! I was so happy! It was cool! You might have been discussing business but I could read your business talk ALL DAY FILLY! To answer your question, yeah I've been to Manehattan once but I didn't really like it. I don't mind lots of ponies but there were too many ponies and not enough space to really let your wings go. Plus there rarely are active adventures to be had since ponies tend to go to private detectives and it gets solved too fast and now there is so little left to find. Sort of a shame since I hear rumors that an ancient sea pony civilization was anchored off the coast, but whatcha gonna do? I can't hold my breath nearly long enough for that!

The project's coming along good? That's awesome, Snowy. I'm sure your little hippogriff will do the job well enough, hahaha! I'm a bit biased though since the last griffon I dealt with tried to have me killed or captured, but I suppose that I shouldn't hold it against those I haven't met yet. Especially since she liked Daring Do, though her choice of Daring Do and the Knights of Gilded Hoof is a bit bland. Everypony loves that one because Daring Do and Bravado kiss and yet they miss out how some of the traps are repeated from earlier books and that the Knights are a recycled concept from an earlier book and they changed the backstory. Did you know I had a whole fanfiction series that was RUINED FOREVER by that book? Almost 300K words down the toilet, and all anyone cares about is that kiss. It is cute though. Best book is 'Daring-Do and the Synergy of the Saxon Staff'. Well, for now at least. I always change! It's so hard to choose, I love them all. Even the Gilded Hoof. Even though its bland.

Still though, really cool to see its going so good. Whatcha gonna name it? The Snowfall Express? You should name it the Snowfall Express! How much is it going to cost? Will the griffons pay for it? How long is it? Can it go underwater? Are you going to protect it from dragons? How much does a pony have to pay to get in? Can it shoot magic?

We should come up with a better system. I got your letter and then flew to Appleloosa and missed you. I then stayed on top of a building and the local sherrif almost arrested me for trespassing because I fell through the roof of what turned out to be the salt bar and onto the grand piano. To think that's the seventh time I've been run out of that town! Silly ponies. But yeah, we should keep it simple. I can mail this letter to your home address and then you send yours to the orphanage and we get it easy that way. I might even be able to deliver my letter to you in pony next time, hahahaha! :-)

Anywho, my hooves hurt from the heated lava rocks next to this mountain. I should go. I love you lots, my little snowflake!

XOXOXOXO

Pathfinder

• Like 1

Dearest Pathfinder,

It is good to hear you are well. Your letter brought a smile to my face and with it a realization that we must meet again soon. This past week has been hectic, but I've wasted no time in replying in writing this reply.

It sounds like you had quite an adventure in those mines. I do feel sorry for your mutants who were isolated and led astray by a cruel leader. That's the sort of fantastic setup that should stay as fantasy. I am relieved to hear that it sounds as if they could find peace from your actions. That orb sounds intriguing. I typically view magical solution as something of a rival; our NSI mission statement is to come up with practical, mechanical solutions, usually without the use of magic... but in some cases I suppose there are things magic can do that our science could never hope to accomplish. If something like that orb could be studied, its power harnessed and honed, it sounds like it could be a great benefit to society. Of course, if it disappeared, I suppose that doesn't matter.

I try to picture you as a stallion; it's actually kind of hard, the extra legs come easier. I would have been curious to see that, though somehow I doubt you'd be quite as cute. It is a true shame that your efforts were not rewarded with anything material, but from the sound this was for you an accomplishment nonetheless. That's not to mention that you also now have a fantastic new story to tell. All the same, I hope that your next adventure proves more fruitful.

I understand what you say about Manehattan. It's a little busy. Everything is so tightly pressed together that it can be cramped for a pegasus like you who likes to spread her wings, and what you say about detectives there does make considerable sense. Still, I'm enamored by the variety of those who live there. They make it a vibrant city, and one with character. Though if truth be told, I greatly prefer my Stalliongrad any day.

I'm sorry to hear you've had troubles with a griffon. Griffons are proud characters who can be hard to deal with. Hippogriffs by nature are rarely so difficult in my experience. When it comes to Miss Vivid Flair, she is only mildly moody, something I perceive to be from a lack of sleep. As for her taste in literature, I would be quite surprised if her reason for selecting The Knights of the Gilded Hoof were the same as most. Instead, she seems to have a fixation on knights stemming from her own father's service in some manner of knightly order.

I wasn't aware that the author had made Daring Do and Bravado kiss. I desperately need to read more books in the series. As a filly, I remember not caring for Bravado much. I think I was somewhat jealous of the complex relationship the character shared with Daring Do. Most pegasus fillies want to be Daring Do, and perhaps to an extent, especially on the days when I was confined to my room to study, I did too, but mostly I think I just had something of a crush on her. I realize immediately after writing that how silly it is to say. Regardless, after reading this letter I visited a book shop here in town and purchased Knights of the Gilded Hoof, Synergy of the Saxon Staff and as many other Daring Do adventures as I could. I haven't gotten a chance to read any of them yet due to all the work I've had, but that should change soon (hopefully).

When it comes to your questions about our new train, I don't think naming it after myself would be entirely appropriate, especially when this is a joint project (and this train will not see snow...). I may throw out a suggestion of The Pathfinder Express though; it's actually almost appropriate considering this train will be cutting a new path through rugged terrain! Development costs will be high, but I expect to recover what we spend quickly once its in place. No, the griffons won't be involved in the train's development, though they will help construct the rail line. I don't imagine this train will be much longer than any other standard train, though really that depends on what design my team comes up with. I don't see any reason for this particular train to need to go underwater, but the idea of a train that could do so is quite fascinating. I may have to look into the practicality and potential of such an idea. I don't think we have many dragons to worry about in that area as much as we do diamond dogs; even there, I doubt we should have much of an immediate issue if discussions go well. As for passenger costs, we don't have that sorted out yet. The first line to the Trans-Equestrian Railroad will be a freight line, so I don't expect there to be many passengers period; there is however talk of adding a passenger line, and should we do so I can't imagine we'll charge that much than we would for a normal train ride of the same length. It'll likely be just a few bits more. Finally, no, it will not shoot magic.

So you've been to Appleloosa many times before? I had hardly even heard of the town before visiting. It's a shame that we missed each other; I would have loved to have seen you then. It's interesting that you would mention the sheriff though. He was one of the ponies I met with to discuss the project. He and his wife seem live very reasonable, down to earth ponies, as did the owner of the inn I stayed. Apparently she runs an entire chain of inns throughout the southern stretches of Equestria, which was nice; it's always good to run into fellow aspiring businessmares, especially when they can brew such a fine cup of coffee. Aside from them we met with a local farmer; he was something of an abrasive character, so confident he was right and so quick to criticize my way of doing business. He did make mention in passing of a certain underground, abandoned Diamond Dog town that he claims to be haunted. This of course made me think instantly of you.

Mostly I spent my time in Appleloosa with my business partner on the railroad, Maximillian Rockerfilly, Jr. I've met this stallion twice now and I'm still not very sure what to think of him. He's a Manehattan socialite; heir to railroad wealth. He's the one who proposed the project to us. A lot of what he says seems too good to be true, and on occasion I question his motives, but so far I think he can be trusted. He's a shrewd stallion who's really committed to the project's success, which as I see it is just what we need.

So more or less Appleloosa went fine. It was a surprisingly nice, quaint little town. All the same it was good to finally come back home to Stalliongrad after so long away. I've been here a couple days now, and I have to say that the work really did pile up while I was away. There's so much paper work I have to go through each day, it's just become exhausting. I think I may be in Stalliongrad for a while now, which is a relief, even if I do like to travel. Too much of a good thing, I suppose.

Anyway, I hope this letter hasn't proven too long and rambling for you, and that seeing it brightens your spirits. I look forward to hearing back from you. Tales of exciting adventure could only enliven all this tedious work.

With love,

Snowfall

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All praise the Emperor Worm!

The earth is his soil and the creatures on it his dirt, feeding his Glory! All praise the Emperor Worm! Bow down....

Hey Snowy!

I apologize for that silliness up there. I had wandered near some old, super small village in the Everfree when I fell ill. The town doctor came to me and offered some sort of leech-based cure and I couldn't pass it up...literally, I couldn't move. Well, he put that leech in my brain and it sort of took over. This letter is late because I spent the better part of two weeks wandering around the Everfree, preaching about some sort of great worm thingie. It really sucks when your body does things your mind tells them not to. Well, luckily, it let its guard down and I was able to get it off and then use some nearby fire to scare out out. My ear hurts now and I smell kinda tasty, but it fled and I'm free.

I'm sorry I was so quick to judge why she liked that book out of all others. What sort of knightly order was her father in? The First Feathers? I broke into their private gallery once. It was fun.

You'll enjoy the books, a good collection there. Some are part of the main series and others are expanded universe but they're all fun reads. Sometimes the expanded universe stuff is better because they want to the sort of world building the original series eschewed in favor of myth. They're all good reads. Avoid only one: Daring Do and the Mystery of Boggy Bottom Bog. It's one of the newer books and its really, really amateurish. I think the author is a new fan because there are lots of holes. I once sent a book but it was too raunchy.

Being a stallion was really weird. I had to walk differently and my muscles were so big! I don't want to go back. It sucked. So did the extra legs, they kept on kicking me in the face AND flank! Yikesers pikesers! You shouldn't look at magic as being competition, 'cause no matter what industry creates their is bound to be some super powerful unicorn, or hyper-active pegasus with connection to the skies, or a farmer with a connection to the earth that industry can never topple. And that's cool I guess because it gives some of them something to look forward to. For the rest of us, I can't wait to see what you create to get ponies to fly around super fast! Someday, I guess.

I plan on heading to Manehattan again soon, actually. I heard there is a dragon's egg there that is about to be sold on the black market and I want to get to it first. I'll pick something up for you there! The sherriff of Appleloosa is nice, but I guess he has had it up to here with me! Abandoned town? I'll put it on my list. I have a long list.:(

Ugghghghghghghghhh. My head is super sore. I just fired that slug outta mah head about twenty minutes ago and my entire brain is splitting apart, it seems. Can't really concentrate. Good thing I came to it in time to knock him out before he finished that letter. Did you know his species has the power to use the written word to hypnotize others?

I'm heading back to the town to solve this mystery. Be back soon!

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Pathfinder

HEY

I'm back

That sucked pretty hard. I think I almost broke my leg. That entire town was mind-controlled and I spent the past 24-hours having to fight them and get to the bottom of it. I eventually got to this temple under the town where some super-big slug on top of this magical orb thing surrounded by all sorts of mind controlled ponies. That took another twelve hours but I was able to knock it off of the orb and everypony around basically collapsed. They came back under their own control and blah blah blah I now have the entire town's treasury of fifty bits! Yay! I sent it to the Canterlot hospital to start pay off my debt there. Fun times! Fun times!

I'm going to be at Ponyville in a few weeks for Daringcon. You coming? Or are you going to be too busy?

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Pathfinder

tired :(

• Like 1

Dearest Pathfinder,

I was growing worried for your safety. It does my heart good to know you are still well. I know many consider Everfree the most dangerous region in all Equestria; I suppose that is in fact the draw for one of your profession, but nevertheless, do be careful out there. Your leech sounds frightening. I can hardly imagine not being in control of my own body. Actually, thinking more on it, there are few things I can imagine that would frighten me more. That you endured that terror and got free speaks volumes toward your adventuring prowess.

Vivid's father was actually a pony and part of the Destrier order, I'm told. It's her mother who was the griffon, but she was not tied to any such group and was in fact an Equestria born griffon. As for Daring Do, in the past few weeks I've read a number of the books. You were right to recommend Synergy of the Saxon Staff. It was an exciting read with a lot of depth. I totally did not expect the twist toward the end. I kind of see what Vivid sees in Knights of the Gilded Hoof, even if as you said, it is a little drier than some in the series. I read a few others; I think Daring Do and the Secrets of the Forgotten Kingdom may be a new favorite of mine. I could really sympathize with the villain's plight, which made her downfall all the more tragic. I also have read Daring Do and the Nightmare of the Cursed Woods; it was a lot darker than other entries in the series with some truly terrifying imagery, even if it did become somewhat disjointed at times. I'm inclined to believe the rumors that the author wrote it after spending months alone in Everfree might be true. Lastly, I've read both Daring Do and the Crimson Tower and Daring Do and the Underground Labyrinth. Both were pretty good, but didn't leave quite as immediate an impression.

I have a large pile of more books in the series to read. I've kind of been visiting every bookstore I can find to find every book I can in the series. I'm not sure I have Daring Do and the Mystery of Boggy Bottom Bog. I have a copy of Daring Do and the Mystery of the Deadly Bog though? Is that an alternate title of some fashion, or an entirely different story? I plan on reading a lot more in the coming weeks, and even hope to reread some of the core early books in the series which I haven't read since my fillyhood. Though even with all this reading I've been doing I haven't been any less busy at work. The result is just a lot less sleep these days. Some of my colleagues and even mother have raised concern over how tired I look these days, and I'm not really sure what to tell them. These book are fascinating, but these aren't the sort of ponies who would understand me putting off sleep to read something like Daring Do.

I digress. I suppose you're right. Maybe it's a fool's errand trying to keep up with magic, but it would betray my father's vision to not at least try. Flying super fast, you say though? You mean faster airships? I've considered it before. Something sleek and aerodynamic, that despite its size can move as fast or faster than a pegasus. That would be incredible, but I doubt we quite have the technology to power such a thing efficiently. I don't know. I'll have to ask Vivid or one of my other engineers why we can't do something like that. I'm sure there are a million reasons.

A dragon's egg, you say? How interesting. I've met a few dragons before, and they've been nice enough. Fascinating creatures, I say. I don't honestly know much about them. Does Daring Do ever meet any dragons? That might be fun to see. I hope your excursion to Manehattan proves fruitful and likewise for that abandoned town as well. I'm sorry to hear about your leg, but I'm glad you're latest adventure went well. It sounds quite exciting, if a little frightening. An entire town mind-controlled and a giant slug? You truly are amazing for being able to endure such terrors.

Unfortunately, I am going to be quite busy, so me making Daringcon is unlikely. I would love to attend such an event, and perhaps there is a small chance if I'm able to get ahead of the curve with my work, but I wouldn't count on it. We'll see. Either way, I do hope to see you soon.

With much love,

Snowfall

• 3 weeks later...
I'm so sorry this took so long, Snowy! You won't believe what I came across though.

Remember the abandoned town you mentioned to me in your letter? I went there and WOW did it prove so awesomely useful. I found all sorts of gems and diamonds and ancient documents from Unicornia as well as a TREASURE MAP TREASURE MAP. I thought about using all of my newfound possible riches to pay off some hospital debt, but instead I took a closer look at this map. It's really, really old and by Celestia's beard the documents it came with were stunning.

It was all about Commander Hurricane and what happened near the end of her reign. Apparently, she lost some huge battle against the griffons before they were an organized country and the Griffon leader tore her helm clear off and took it as a prize. Legend has it that after Commander Hurricane went to her Equestrian friends in the old province of Unicornia, they tried to deal with the griffons to get the helm back but they claimed that the griffon leader had died and the helm was now lost. This treasure map and the diaries contained within detail generations of efforts to find the helm as well as more recent business deals that they think are traced to the Helm.

I then went to Manehattan to follow up on a clue and what did I find but a listing heading to the griffon capital detailing, "Refused payment by Equestrian authorities for the recovery of a prized Equestrian relic"? The helm! The helm! THE HELM!

So I promptly sold all of those gems and ancient documents to a black market dealer and invested it into equipment. I'm going to the land of the griffon to recover the Helm, Snowy!

What do you know about the Helm? Griffons? Their country? Their capital? Do they speak the same language? Is your train ready- it would be the most convenient way for me to get there, hehehehe!

I love you!

LOVE,

PATHFINDER

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Dearest Pathfinder,

I am delighted to hear from you again. I miss you dearly. That single day we spent together was not nearly enough. For the sake of shielding the dignity of us both I won't divulge how often I return to your letters. Receiving another definitely puts the brightest of smiles upon my cheeks.

It's wonderful that I was able to help you make a discovery. I'm happy to hear my lead proved to a fruitful one and that you returned from such an ordeal unharmed. Pre-Equestrian artifacts are impossibly scarce. That map you found, if authentic could be a showcase at a museum on its own, but if it can really lead you to Commander Hurricane's helmet that would be extraordinary. Such a thing would easily be the discovery of the decade. Such a find could bring a sort of fame and prestige that you so deserve for your continued bravery.

All the same, it's best not to put all hope on it. It's important we recall that this is a priceless lost artifact from long before Celestia reigned in Equestria. Such a thing does not remain hidden so long if it is an easy matter to recover it. If the griffons do have the helm, getting it will not be easy. It will be dangerous, not to mention illegal. I fear I will lack the ability to dissuade you, especially when the prize is so immense, but Pathfinder, please, I urge you to proceed with the upmost caution going into this. I know you face incredible, dangerous, amazing things regularly, but this is different. This isn't some lost tribe or disquieting beast but rather a modern nation on par with Equestria in most areas, and indeed superior in some.

My worry for you means I cannot fully support you undertaking something so dangerous, but all the same, in hopes of ensuring you know what you're up against, I will tell you what I know. I likely know little more about the prize you seek than you do. It is scarce, it is highly sought. I could find you a buyer in a second who would pay you a small fortune just to own it, though it almost rather belongs in Canterlot Castle's own museum wing alongside Princess Platinum's crown.

When it comes to Griffons I know considerably more. Their country is called Aquelia. It isn't as large as Equestria, but it has power. Their military is strong and fierce, and while smaller in size than our own REA is perhaps a fair match for them considering how much stronger a single griffon is than a pony. Griffons themselves are naturally predators, hunters. They are fierce, strong and also cunning. They are not beasts though; no, far from it. They are an intelligent species, one which perhaps due to the lack of unicorn magic to rely on, is in many ways more technologically sophisticated than we are.

All that said, Equestria has quite peaceful relations with Aquelia at the moment, and both are kinds have learned to co-exist as neighbors. Borders have actually started to blur; Stalliongrad has a large griffon population, and Beakbreak City a considerable onem while Rockwington in Aquelia welcomes and accommodates ponies freely. Not all places are so welcoming though. Just as a griffon would feel out of place in some stretches of Equestria, there are places in Aquelia where things remain quite hostile for us. Unfortunately, it is one such place I think you must go.

Talonopolis is the capital and focal point of the Aquelian nation. NSI actually has a small branch office in the city, as it is an exceptional market for us. I've been there many times on business, and to be frank, it's hard not to notice the sort of glares I receive. It is a traditional griffon city in every sense, built upwards. Half the "buildings", including most of the homes, are built directly into and out of the walls of the Raptorclaw Canyon while the other half are impressive towers that rise vertically upwards; the only thing in the city that extends horizontally is the underground sewer system. No pony city looks like it, and it fact grounded ponies would struggle to navigate the city. You need wings to get anywhere. The city holds the governing families who control Aquelia, the Razorclaws, the Silverbeaks and Goldplumes. it is not a safe place for a pony, especially one with less than on the level intentions. I mean this with all sincerity, but getting caught in that city could cost you your life.

Oh, and of course they speak the same language, silly! They have for centuries now, though there are said to be ancient, distinct griffon languages spoken in the past. As for my train, no, this isn't the sort of thing that will happen instantaneously. It will take months and months of paper work, engineering, physical labor, money and luck before that train gets moving through those mountains. I could get you an airship to Talonopolis, but that's probably not a good idea if you don't want you're arrival to be known. Truly, the best way is probably the simplest: fly through the mountains into Aquelia on your own accord. It will not be easy, but then again neither of this will be.

Again, I urge you go into this cautiously. I would hate for the Daringcon you mentioned in the previous letter to miss you on account of this adventure. More over, I wouldn't know what to do should I learn something had happened to you.

Promise me you'll come back from this,

Yours,

Snowfall

P.S. I've read a number more Daring Do books since my last letter. I hope for a chance to soon discuss them all with you upon your safe return.

• Like 1

Dear Snowy,

Your letter was very sweet and I'm happy- well, not happy but charmed- that you're showing such concern about this. About me! About us, eh? You don't have to worry so much, I'm a professional! What are some silly griffins gonna do when they have all THIS coming right at them? I'll tell you what, dear: Be scared! I'm like an adventuring muscle that gets flexed and when it gets flexed, everything blows up! Well, everything but me and things I don't want to be blown up and not even blown up, more like mildly annoyed with noise makers. Distractions are useful! But in all seriousness, don't be worried and if you are still worried, here are a few things to make you not so worried!

One, I'm experienced. I've been everywhere from the bottom of the ocean to the top of a mountain, in cities and ruins, infected with all sorts of viruses and mutant mind control slugs, fighting giant spiders, cultists, and all manner of magic. While the griffins will almost assuredly prove difficult, you should be completely confident in my ability to defeat them. I know I am! Talon-opalis might be one heck of a city that's gonna be really hard to move around in, but where there's a way, there's a path to follow and I'm going to find it! Get it? Pathfinder! All cities eventually crack and this one won't be that hard, especially for a Pegasus.

Two, I'm in great shape. Aside from a few bouts of going hungry for a few days and once or twice getting lost in the desert with no water- and maybe a few instances of breaking bones and organs and ending up in the hospital- and the various mental issues inflicted by the many magics and mind control beasts I've come across, I'm the picture of health. Those griffins may be stronger than several ponies at once, but I'm willing to bet I'm a clip faster than the lot of them and I don't doubt I'll leave their whole city spinning in place trying too catch up with this pony. Maybe I should enter into an athletic competition after the con so I could show off how fast I am? That'd be pretty awesome!

Third, I'm prepared. Really really prepared! I bought so much equipment that it's almost overwhelming. Smoke pellets will be great for being all sneaky if caught, and if I need to knock a griffin out, I have some handy-dandy stun bolts. No one will get hurt but still, the effect is the same. I have this magical orb which should do something cool and let's not forget my super awesome magical absorption stick-thingies. Those griffins might have super cool technology, but I have super cool techno-magic and by the time I'm through with them the griffins of the city will be in awe of everything and anything coming from Equestria, as it should be.

Fourth, think of the adventure itself. Daring escapes in the sky, being trailed by a trio of elite griffin guardsmen. Breaking into the most powerful institutions in a foreign land searching for a relic of your nation's murky past. Evading others in a constant attempt to remain hidden and close-run affairs where I escape death from the grasp of an enraged foe by milliseconds. That rush when I discover the location, the intensity of the planning, the thrill of the actual snatch and grab and the ensuing escape from the city herself! This is worthy of Daring Do and even my own book, which I'm thinking of calling, "Pathfinder and the City of the Griffin" though if I do write that I think I'll make some changes to it. Would you like to be in it? I wrote you into another story I wrote, a fanfiction with Daring Do. Wanna read it? I've attached all four-hundred and six pages to this letter. Would you believe tree sap is the best adhesive I could find on such short notice?

Fifth, think of the rewards. They would throw a parade in Canterlot, all in my honor. I would look noble, battle-scarred, and devastatingly attractive as I was escorted to the royal palace, massive throngs of ponies on either side shouting my name in glee. You would be with me, your brilliance and stunning beauty leaving those who could not muster the strength to shout for me speechless as I held you and kissed you in the most romantic way possible. We would be escorted by the Guard into the palace, where all three Princesses would be awaiting the reveal. I would get down on bended knee and slowly pull the wool off of the helm, and applause and wild cheering would overtake the assembled royalty. I would be a hero! All my debts paid off! My book series published! The trademark for the name Daring Do relinquished so i could change my name use it sometimes without paying royalties forget this sentence! All across the land I would be called the Greatest Adventurer Ever! And I'm sure this is good for Equestria as well, cultural value and whatever else it has. Your train will be fast tracked, hilarious pun intended, and pretty soon Equestria will be known as the best place ever!

Sixth, I promise I'll come back fine and I never ever ever break my promises!

So yeah, don't you worry because it will be super awesome and from this day forward, you'll be the luckiest mare in the history of ever! Not that you aren't already, since you're hyper adorable and smart and rich and everything, but even more luckier! Super luckier!

What book did you read? Have you gotten to 'the trilogy' yet?

Much love,

Pathfinder

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

• Like 1

Dearest Pathfinder,

Your letter made me smile. Your shining optimism and delightful enthusiasm do calm my heart by some measure, but they cannot fully stem the tide of uncertainty that I feel when it comes to this undertaking. Likewise, I remain perfectly cognizant that I cannot do anything to stop you. Instead, I will counter your six points with six of my own, not in an effort to dissuade you, but simply to help you adjust yourself for what you're up against.

One: You are experience, but they are organized. In doing this, you are making an enemy of an entire city, possibly an entire nation. The Republic of Aquelia has no single ruler. It is ruled by a council comprised of the prominent members of the three lead families. It is exceedingly easy to make any one of these families your enemy, and in doing so you run the risk of making them all your enemies. They have the power; they can get the military involved at will. They can mobilize the city against you. Though even from the start you'll be alone. You'll find no allies in Talonopolis. There is no griffon who would help you with what you plan to do. Trust no one.

Two: You are in great shape, but you remain at a physical disadvantage. Excusing for a moment the ever present fact that there are countless of them and just one of you, any single griffon should be your superior in strength. You will have a speed advantage against most, but not all. There are griffons who train their wings tirelessly for flight speed and can easily outrace even a fast pegasus. As resilient and physically capable as you may be (I'd love to watch you compete in an athletic competition by the way. That sounds fun), amidst the countless griffons you face, surely you'll find one who is more than a match.

Three: You are prepared, but they are fully equipped. Griffons are the best metal workers on the continent. Their swords and spears are all exquisitely crafted and could make short work of a pony with little effort required and they're in no short supply. Furthermore, they have technology. My friend Lola and her Silverbeak family have made great advances in the field of electricity. Expect electric alarms everywhere and unexpected traps to get in your way. It is not an easy town to get around in unnoticed. Your arsenal will definitely get put to the test. I worry about this magic orb you mention though. Unicorn magic, when stored in various artifacts is indeed potent, but it can easily become unstable. It's best you don't come to rely on something you cannot predict the outcome of.

Four: It is a great adventure, but if you're not careful it could end up being your last. There's not much to say on this point. Doing something for the sake of adventure is, I'm well aware, what you're all about. Brashly pushing yourself ahead, relying only on luck and force of will to get you by will not last you forever, as brilliant an adventurer as you are. That said, when you do return, as I am convinced you will, I'd be delighted to read your account of the adventurer (and be honored to be included). Oh, and I did read the first several pages of the story you included. I was quite interesting. You certainly have a vivid imagination (the tree sap did kind of get everywhere though...).

Five: A similar point here. Rewards are no good to you if you don't live to enjoy them. I will admit that everything about the prospect of recovering this artifact for Equestria is exciting (and the proposed romantic kiss certainly sounds delightful). Even if this recovery could make such dreams possible (well, at least some of them), don't let that blind you from the difficulties you face. Never take anything for granted here. Things can and will frequently not go your way, and possibly to devastating results.

Six: This one isn't a counterpoint, but you have my love and support. Let that carry you when things look darkest. Let it keep you safe.

I certainly am lucky. I just remain aware that my luck could all turn suddenly sour; I ask that you ensure that it does not. Onto lighter things, when it comes to Daring Do, I have since read Daring Do and the Gale Wing Pirates, Daring Do and the Mystery of the Deadly Bog and Daring Do and the Palace of Bones. All three were different, but interesting reads. I like how different the books can be; It keeps reading them all very fresh and new. Oh, and I also read the spin off prequel title, The Princess Veil Diaries; while I still really adore the character, I must say that this title was quite unnecessary and a blatant attempt for the author to cash in on a popular character. Veil's history was better left ambiguous, where one could read into it and make their own conclusions. Explaining it all, just kind of ruins things, not to mention far too much time was spent on the uninspired romance that everyone reading already knew the ending to. But I digress. I haven't gotten into this trilogy you mention yet. What's that about? And do you have any other suggestions?

Yours,

Snowfall

• 1 month later...
Hey there Snowy!

Long time no talkie or writey, my adorable and lovely snowflake. I've had quite the adventure so far and I'm still in the middle of it so I shant- was that how you use that word? I think it is- spoil everything for you. That has to wait until later, when I'm back in Equestria and I have the Helm! But that doesn't mean I can't give ou a few spoilers. It's all pretty exciting stuff!

First, I(REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY). Pretty cool, huh?

Then, I met(REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY). She was cool, and together we-(REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY). I felt bad about that, but whatcha gonna do? I spent the next few weeks not eating much and never sleeping, but that came to an end.

(REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY. REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY REDACTED ON ORDER OF THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY).

So anyway, they threw me in a pit and I think one of the prisoners is trying to eat me. Just another day in my life! I'll see you soon, Snowy. (TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY INFORMS YOU THIS IS NOT TRUE)

Love you!

Pathfinder

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

FROM THE TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY FROM PRISONERS #1616-E.

• Like 1

Reading the letter between her hooves, Snowfall didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. She had been wrought with worry the past few weeks over this absurd plan of her fillyfriend to infiltrate the Aquelia capital and steal a priceless relic from right under the beaks of the griffon elite. It was a foolish, foolish thing for the silly, silly pony to try, and Snowfall had known from the start that it could only end badly. She had given the other mare every warning, as well as the information to prepare herself, and yet the end result still hardly surprised her.

Pathfinder was now locked away in a Talonopolis Prison. Considering an alternate possible end to this mess that had robbed Snowfall of sleep was a premature grave, she supposed this wasn't the end result. However, it certainly wasn't good. it scared her. It frustrated her. There was still a very real chance that Pathfinder would never return from this place. She didn't know what to do. She didn't know what to say. How did she proceed from here? How did she save the mare who had stolen her heart? Was such a thing even possible?

Sighting, she supposed she'd get in contact with her Taonopolis contacts. She'd fish around for information about this prison, Pathfinder's imprisonment and what the outlook for it was. It was tricky, and if it was all thrust open she risked being implicated as some kind of accomplice or backer, which would ruin her reputation in Aquelia and probably spell the end of NSI's Talonopolis branch. While Pathfinder was definitely more important to her than that, she still wanted to approach this cautiously. For now, she'd try her best to act calm. At this point, it was best if neither of them panicked. She reply casually, talk about things from her own life as if things were normal and she wasn't worried out of her mind and then figure where to go from there later.

Dearest Pathfinder,

I am most delighted to hear from you once more. You've worried me ceaselessly since you left for Talonopolis; it is such a relief to hear that, despite your situation, you are still alive. Please do stay strong, my love. I have nothing but confidence that, somehow you'll make it though this all. Just like Daring Do, giving up isn't in you. Ever since I've met you, I've known you to be the sort who could overcome even the worst of odds; this will be no different than anything that came before. You and I will be together again very soon. I can't wait for that day when we're finally able to see each other again.

I'm glad to hear you met a friend in Talonopolis, even with all those things that happened. The other night I made a new friend myself. His name is Sparks and he's still a colt, but he's remarkably bright. I met him on one of my flights around the city. I've told you about those right? Whenever I'm anxious, stressed or worried, I escape from the manor to fly about Stalliongrad by moonlight. On one of my many, many recent such flights, I ran into Sparks after he dropped his broken watch. When I returned it to him, he told me he could fix it if he had the right tools. Intrigued, I bought him some tools and let him prove it. Despite the watch being a complete mess, he pieced together the mechanism expertly like an experienced watch maker might. Right then, on the spot, I surprised the kid by offering him an internship with NSI. You should have seen the look on his face when he found out who I was. I think he's off working with our team in Manehattan now, but I'm expecting great things from him in the future.

Let's see... what else? Ah, Daring Do. I've read a few more titles in the series. Daring Do and the Treasure of Tartarus was a real favorite. A great pure adventure story with just enough darker moments to keep it from getting too predictable. I've tried to start a few others, but... it's kind of hard at times for me to continue reading as it's hard for me to read the books without thinking of you. I've gotten halfway though Daring Do and the Island of Dragons though, and I like it so far. I hope to maybe read some more, though I'm still unsure I'll be able to make Daringcon. I have nothing but confidence that you'll still make it back in time to attend though; the convention would really miss you if you weren't there

Not much else to really report on this end. I did remember something from back during my trip to Appleloosa though. I was awarded some coupons by the local farmer there for some free apple pie. He suggested I give some to you as a gift, and I do hope to get the opportunity to do so soon. The pie there is simply divine; definitely something one must try before one even considers dying.

So, that's about it. I'm absolutely fine here, so don't worry a hair about me, my love. Concentrate all your effort on staying strong, staying alive and finding a way to work through all this unfortunate stuff--that and always keep writing; your letters mean so much to me. I'll do my best on the end to keep calm, keep supporting you in anyway I can and keep writing back. In time, I'm sure that, together, we'll get past this.

I love you,

Snowfall

• 2 weeks later...

Pathfinder wasn't a dumb pony. Silly, perhaps. Not dumb. And she had the reading material and memory that provided her ample room for code writing. If Snowfall was as big a Daring Do enthusiast now as she claimed, the code would make sense

Dear Snowy,

How I miss yoU! Why, if you were here, I'd do....

She trailed off into some rather graphic descriptions in the hope of making the censor blush. The code spelled something else out, however:

I found the Helm. It's real. I'm in The Pit. Trying to disable my wings using a chemical they injected in my wings. Tips on how to delay? Will escape and get Helm. Then the above won't just be for code.

She finished that part and continued normally...

As for Daring Do, did you know that I once got a sneak peek at an early release version of Island of Dragons? It's true! Here, let me recount the whole story for you, blow by blow...

Code came back

Met griffon named Gilda. Friend. Betrayed me. Then was betrayed. Is here with me, helping me. Right back leg is hurt bad. I'm in a muzzle and can't walk without help. It sorta sucks. Luckily, they gave me the books. They're stupid. Now I have ideas!

Then it ended normally.

"Sparks sounds like a nice colt. I love little ones! I want like ten little ones someday. No, Sweet Celestia's tubesocks, not of my own, but like adopted and such. I'd pick them for their skills so they could help me in adventures.

Anyhoof, lovely Snow-Snow, it's time to eat some gruel. I love love love you!

Love!

Pathfinder

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

ps- please attach release schedule for next three books in series.

From the Talinopolis Prison Authority from Prisoner #1616-E

Upon reading Pathfinder's latest letter, Snowfall had initially not been quite sure what to make of it. After proper examination however, she pieced it together. If one looked beneath the admittedly kind of rough surface, one would find a pony of surprising cleverness in Pathfinder. The adventuring mare had used a code not unlike one Daring Do might employ in a tight spot in one of her novels to hide information right under the beaks of her captors. It had worked impressively too, as so little of the letter was redacted.

Nodding, Snow smiled. Now it was time to follow suit. She'd copy Pathfinder's code. After all, if they were going through letters sent and making redactions, they probably would have no qualms about reading Pathfinder's letters and keeping them from her if they deemed fit. Smirking slightly, the worried mare began to craft her coded letter.

Dearest Pathfinder,

It is my delight to hear from you again. I worry constantly for your safety and hope that you may be returned to me expediently. Your last letter has made me only more eager to see you again. I hadn't any idea you were so wonderfully bold! I can think of a fair number of things I would like to do with you if you were at my side as well. I'd love to...

From there, Snow trailed off into some rather elaborate naughtiness. She had to laugh. Pathfinder said in her code that what she described could be real if she returned but it had ikely had included her like section only as a good way to make her unwanted editor squirm so that she could slip the code in. Snowfall could only assume that Pathfinder wasn't the experienced sort when it came to such things and probably had some reservations about all that she wrote. Snowfall on the other hand considered the things she wrote to already be a part of her eventual plan for the other mare. Nevertheless, she managed to shove code into the section.

I've talked to contacts from Talonopolis since last letter. You're in a real mess. Only a select few have ever escaped. I'm still in talks but isn't much I can do on my end at this point. Still looking for solutions, but have to be careful where I pry. As for toxin, contacts say after initial injection they put in food. Don't know what it is. Eat as little food provided by prison as possible. Look for any vegetation or water sources underground there they haven't provided you. I'll look into toxin more; see if there's trick to make it go away.

Since the last letter, Snowfall was less worried and more ready to do all she could short of indicting herself for the crime to help get Pathfinder back. This hopefully reflected in her code. She was firmly on Pathfinder's side and was honestly trying to find out as much as she possibly could about this wretched Talonopolis prison. She continued to write the letter.

That's cool to hear that you got a sneak peak of Island of the Dragons though. Luckily I've finished it since our last letter and can attest that your summary is quite wonderfully accurate. It was truly a gripping read. I particularly like the part where...

Snowfall began a superfluously long review and critique of the Daring Do book in question, giving her genuine thoughts and insight into some of the key events and characters and relating it to what Pathfinder had written her. She also managed to slip more code in.

If she's with you now, you can probably trust her. Stick close. In a place like that an ally is vital. This place is really cruel. I have mind to take it to Canterlot. Princess should know. How bad is leg? Will it heal? Ideas are good but be careful. Don't get caught. Escape is important but mistakes could cost you life. Be careful!

Her coded message hidden, she continued to write the letter proper.

Also, Sparks is practically an adult. I'd hardly call him a "little one". I can however just picture you leading an intrepid band of orphaned youths on a quest for high adventure. Let's hope you still get that chance at some point! You have all of my love and all of my support. I know you can make it through this nightmare. Like Daring Do, you will persevere!

With love,

Snowfall

At the end, Snowfall attached the requested release schedule for the next three Daring Do books. She wasn't sure what Pathfinder intended to do with this, but she was happy to oblige. She hoped to hear back from the other mare soon.

• 2 weeks later...

It had taken Pathfinder three attempts to read the very start of Snowfall's letter as the fanfilly was by law an extremely immature one. She had said a number of relatively unrealistic and naughty things only to be replied with several even more naughty yet intimately detailed ideas and desires from her fillyfriend. It made Pathfinder uncomfortable in a manner of endearing ways. After the fourth time, she read it all the way through and started out on a reply.

Dear Snowfall,

You know, I think we need to just rent out the whole city because I think if you tried that and I tried my ideas, we'd need to...

She began on some truly insane description of what the two could do with a whole city to themselves.

Not sure if I can hold off on eating too much. I'm basically unable to move on my own- can't see, looking at ground, or am on a leash and being held up if i look up. Can't look for food or drink until I get out of this. Once I do however, they expect me to work, not much free time. My leg is bad. It curls up against body, can't really feel it. Also, my dye is failing. I'm now bright baby blue and I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it. This muzzle is really itchy, too. It's rusty and they didn't clean it.

She had to do some work to get the code to work for the many times she had to type in hate, but her extensive vocabulary contained the word hate enough for it to work! After a while, she read the Daring Do review. Good stuff, but it was time for the master to teach the student in every realm, literary criticism and code alike.

That was really very good, Snowfall. I might make you a proper critic yet! Your point of view in relation to canon is interesting, but you seem to have forgotten a few dozen instances earlier in the series that refute your points. Let us discuss them in detail!
You should know by now that I never make mistakes. I just make adventure. Don't put yourself in a bad spot over stupid Pathfinder and her silly adventures, okay?

Pathfinder laid the quill down and stretched her back. The code was getting harder to write, if only because if you kept it the same with no evolution the guards might eventually find out. Nothing was worse than a cracked code.

Well Snowfall, I'm getting tired over here and I think Gilda's finally waking up so I can finally nod off and not worry about somegriffon coming into our cell and trying to naw on my leg. Again. I love you! Thanks for sending the schedule. If I haven'tsolved problems by then, mind getting them for me? I am super excited for the one where...

Oh, I wrote you a poem:

Roses Are Red

Violets Are Blue

I Hop You're Well-Fed!

And I Love You!

I gotta go. Tired. Nighters!

mwah mwah mwah kissy kissy

Pathfiiiiiii

Snowfall was becoming increasingly stressed. Pathfinder had her on edge. The company was starting to notice. As much as she prodded around for ways she might hep the situation, she was finding out surprisingly little. "The Pit" was one of those places that most in Equestria liked to pretend didn't exist and most in Aquelia cared not to speak about. She had tried her hardest to poke into their operations, but nothing was coming up in her search and she was drawing unwanted attention to herself with each question about such matters she asked. it was a never ending headache and nightmare that despite her usual problem solving skill she could not make sense of.

Still, new letters were a good sign. If Pathfinder could write it meant there was still hope, and as long as Pathfinder wasn't going to give up neither would Snowfall. She composed her reply promptly

Dearest Pathfinder,

As always, it does my heart so well to hear back from you, my dear. I never stop worrying for you; I miss you so much. Still, reading your letter makes me find a smile. You've certainly developed quite the imagination there! I had no idea you were so bold. I do like a lot of your ideas, but this is how we might make it all even better...

If anything could be said about the last few letter exchanges, Snowfall had to say she so enjoyed the way in which Pathfinder had decided to hide her code. Pathfinder didn't typically come by this sort of naughtiness naturally, so to hear it from her was a rare treat. To reply in turn with her more earnest volumes of provocative suggestions was a lot of fun. Whenever the two did reunite, this would certainly all prove ideal material over which to tease the other mare. For now, it was just a good place to hide the coded messages.

Disgusting. This facility should be closed at once. If that's the case though, get as much help from your griffon friend as you can to search. Avoiding intake of chemical is important! Only eat the bare minimum of their food that you need not to starve. Minimizing lasting wing damage is important. Still searching for solution, but no one knows what the chemical is, so finding countermeasure is hard. You likely have no choice but to act quickly. Your health will only go down as things are now. It would be great to allow your leg time to heal, but your operating on limited time. Remember that.

It was hard to be entirely real about the situation as completely stark as it was, but Snowfall saw the need. Pathfinder didn't have much of a chance to win here and yet she had to. For Snowfall's sake she had to return. No punches could thus be pulled. She had to be entirely clear. her pelt dye really was the last thing Pathfinder should be worrying about her, even if Snowfall did recognize the mental repercussions this undoubtably had.

]Ah, I hadn't considered all of that. Your breath of knowledge on the series really is something to behold, my dear. Seeing the points you made made me wonder about certain things regarding the progression of the characters and series. I have to wonder what would happen if...

Snowfall now included several paragraphs of wild speculation regarding characters, events and themes within the Daring Do universe. It was actually kind of difficult to come up with, but also kind of fun. Of course, this was just an excuse to include more code.

I won't take any unnecessary risks. Don't worry. I just want to make sure you do the same. Though the more I hear the more I think some risk will be needed. Please be careful not to get yourself killed, but be ready to grasp any opportunities that present themselves. As I said, the odds are severely against you here, but I am nothing but confident we'll see each other again soon.
No problem, dear. I'll be happy to buy all the books for you. Oh, and that sounds like quite the exciting read. I'm quite eager to crack that open myself now. I especially think the part where...

Snowfall just wrote a few paragraphs here in response to the description Pathfinder gave. Not much, just enough to hide a couple lines of code.

You are so cute. Get back here now!
]I really wish you the best and hope that somehow some brightness might find you down there. Please write again soon. Your letters are all I have to go on for now.

I love you,

Snowfall

• 2 weeks later...

The next letter came slow. Work was hard. Life was hard. Sleep came fitfully. It would have been easy to claim that it was these combinations that forced her to write this letter so slowly and indeed it would be something of a decent cover. The griffons didn't expect her to last down here and she wasn't about to dissuade them from this train of thought. Not yet, anyway. She'd leave a few notes for them after all was said and done. In all reality she was searching the vast pit for any sign of escape. It wasn't a rosy scenario for her, but that only meant her eventual escape was all the sweeter. It was with this energy that she wrote.

But it didn't mean she wouldn't air a small smidgen of her concern.

Dear Snowfall,

I'm starting to be a little scared. It can get really dark here and when a storm happens on the top side, you can hear the trickling of it through the cracks that run all around the facility. You try to peek in and as you are closer to the surface sometimes, you can almost [REDACTED BY THE TALONOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY]. I admit that it's a little depressing. My wings throb sometimes at night and the tips feel fuzzy, to say nothing of the countless scraps I've been in. Griffons love to fight. But oh well, just a day in the life!

Pathfinder had to stop writing right then, if only to refocus herself and get back to the task she had laid out before her. If she started to wallow in any sort of pity or focused on the negative. Those came in huge amounts, yet any focus on it would provide deadly or worse. She went back to Snowfall's letters and after finding solace, amongst other things, in them, she screwed her head on right.

"But forget about all that, soft-flankie! You might be bold, I'm Daring, if you pardon the pun, and let me tell you just what your little plans lack..."

Pathfinder then began a series of blush-worthy statements that by this time seemed tame, mostly because she had stopped reading them as she focused on the code. It went on and on, as by now her thoughts on Snowfall's careful disregard of Daring Do analysis disabled the fanfilly from properly forming code around her retorts.

"Found a small water source, but the water seems really dank. Still no extra food source except for...ehhhh you probably wanna kiss me still so better you don't know. Regardless, I still feel weak. But I'm formulating a plan. Something that may have a whole batch of unintended consequences, but I'm the only one who can do it. The Pit is part of a huge ruin, some ancient city, and where there are ancient cities in the ground there are escape tunnels and where there are escape tunnels, there will be air and moss and eventually freedom."

She finished up, licking her lips for some unknown reason. Some tingling in her hooves told her something was off, and the words that flew out next were tinged by desperation.

"Snowfall, I know I say I love you and I do, but sometimes I think I don't express just what I mean and how much I mean it. Let me- [REDACTED BY TALINOPOLIS PRISON AUTHORITY, SEE BELOW]

[sNOWFALL, CEO OF NSI, WE DEMAND THAT YOU CEASE CONTACT WITH THE PRISONER. IT HAS COME TO OUR ATTENTION THAT YOU ARE THE SAME SNOWFALL INVOLVED IN A NUMBER OF IMPORTANT BUSINESS DEALS WITH OUR CLAWBROTHERS AND CLAWSISTERS. WE CANNOT ACCEPT THE POSSIBILITY OF YOUR BUSINESS DEALS BEING PROPELED BY THE POSSIBILITY OF FINDING YOUR CRIMINAL. WE ASSURE YOU THAT SHE IS AS GOOD AS A GHOST, TO BE BLUNT, AND THAT WHEN WORD ARRIVES OF HER PASSING WE WILL GO TO SOME EFFORT TO RETRIEVE HER SHOULD YOU DESIRE TO SOIL YOUR SOIL WITH HER BODY. HOWEVER, THE PRISON AUTHORITY WILL BE FORCED TO CONTACT THE FAMILIES REGARDING THIS CONNECTION SHOULD THIS CORRESPONDENCE CONTINUE. THIS WILL LEAD TO THE ELIMINATION OF YOUR BUSINESS DEALS, INVESTIGATION REGARDING YOUR INVOLVEMENT IN THE PRISONER'S CRIMES, AND A COMPLAIN TO BE FILED WITH THE EQUESTRIAN GOVERNMENT.

HOWEVER, DO NOT TAKE US FOR HEARTLESS. WE DO NOT HAVE TO CONTACT YOU WITH THIS; WE ARE GIVING YOU THE CHANCE TO SAY YOUR GOODBYES RESPECTFULLY RATHER THAN ENDING THE CONTACT OUT OF THE BLUE ON YOUR END. THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO TO INFORM HER OF THIS CHANGE, BUT WE CAN ALLOW YOU TO DELIVER ONE LAST LETTER. SAY WHAT YOU WISH TO SAY FOR THIS WILL BE THE FINAL WORDS OF YOURS THE PRISONER WILL HEAR. GOODBYE.]

I love you, Snowfall! See you soon!

Pathfinder PRISONER

XOXOXOXOXO

Snowfall had expected this. She had expected it sooner, to tell the truth. Her name was too well known and her address too visible and neither her nor Pathfinder had done anything to hide either. It wasn't a particularly hard feat to connect the dots, even as implausible as the situation may seem as the griffons. Risqué letters exchanged between some incarcerated thief and the head of a prominent corporations with strong Aquelia's ties? it had to seem rather bizarre. Snowfall wondered if any of them would try to sell the story to media outlets.

Eh, either way, this might have to be the last letter for now. She had to make it count.

My Dearest Pathfinder,

It does me well to receive another letter from you, though I'm informed it may unfortunately need to be my last. Though I'm told your situation is helpless, I ask you hold your head high and never lose hope. Remember my love for you, dear and stay strong. Regardless of what happens, I'll always keep you in my heart. I mean that too. Ever since we first met back in Bareback Gulch you've meant so much to me. If we are truly fated to never meet again, then I am sure that at least we will be forever together in spirit.

But oh my, Pathfinder! You're really laying it all out there with these suggestion. I don't blush easy, but your ideas are starting to get quite bold indeed. Even if it may be purely hypothetical, the fantasies will remain. My fantasies happen to include a lot of things you didn't quite get to...

Snowfall continued off on a long, rather lewd spiel of activities and scenarios before getting into some equally long-winded discourse on Daring Do. She made sure this took up a lot of letter space, since she had a fair amount of code to hide.

Feel free to excuse the over-sentimentalism of this letter. I've lost zero faith in you getting out of there and coming back to me. Though I remain worried, I know that if anypony can find a way, it's you. Unfortunately the prison authority has connected the dots; they know who I am and they want this connection severed sooner rather than later. If you need to contact me again, it will need to be sent to someone else first who can forward the relevant content to me.

Regardless, it's sounding like you're making important developments. I was wondering the when why and how of the pit being constructed; to think it's actually a section of something bigger. That makes a lot of sense. I do hope you're able to find a way into other sections that might have escape routes soon enough. Preferably without leaving an exit by which the worst criminals Aquelia has ever seen may follow you. I have faith in you and I know we'll be together again soon. Do not give up. I look forward to having you back at my side.

Nodding Snowfall continued on to write up her conclusion.

That's about it, I suppose. I can't stop my emotions from welling as I look down upon this letter. I'm not good at good byes, and I don't consider this one in the first place, since, we'll always be tied where it counts. You mean so much to me, my darling. Even if I may never see or hear from you again you've touched my life in such a great way and I'm sure you'll stay in my thoughts always.

So for now, I'll just say that I love you, and I always will, my dear.

With all of my love,

Snowfall

• 2 months later...

The letter was beyond ragged. Beyond soaked with all manner of liquid. The journey had been long, but not nearly as long as the journey that came before. Mares had grown. Wills were tested. Wills were still strong.

The quillmareship, however, was not.

Snowy,

See you in Canterlot. Send mail to the usual place. Out of Talinpolis. Tired hurt. See a bear. talk-

the rest of the page was torn off, though a second page had been smashed together with treesap.

-later.

Pathfinder

ps- Got a present for you.