Death...

TemplarFrost

You obviously can't kill anyone else's pony at any point ever.

When it comes to letting your own ponies die, I'm really not sure. :/

I would guess not though; seems a little grim for the RP, which is supposed to be suitable for all ages.

Well, I personally don't think death in a story is something grim or only for adults or anything. But I simply think its a way of making a story more like, real life. For example, when you watch My Little Pony, and you see a pony, like Daring Do in a dangerous situation, you don't have any fear of that character dying or anything, because it's a kids show. But when when you see a movie like Saving Private Ryan, when your favorite character in a dangerous situation, you tend to have a sense of fear that the character could die, And that's where the suspense comes in. If you know that all of the characters in the story is going to be alright in the end, then it becomes boring. But if you know that there's a chance of some characters not making it out alive, that where all the suspense and excitement comes in.

I don't disagree that death has a profound and powerful effect to tell a story, but it really is a tricky area since the RP (at least in the public eye) needs to remain all-ages. I am 100% sure of this -- so if the manner of death in the RP would include gore or grievous injury, it would probably create a problem with forum policy.

Adventure Time and Regular Show, both considered "Kids Shows" both have on screen deaths. Both shows can even be rather gruesome in some bits. Poor Princess Bubblegum is possessed by the Litch King, turned into a horrible monster and then killed by accident, by being broken in half, with bones sticking out and everything...

Ofcourse, this is MLP, but I don't see how a heroic death or death by age would be wrong. I just doubt they wanna see beheadings or really gory deaths here. :-| Unless it's in the proper section (18 and up..)

While there are not specifically rules about death... there are rules about death. XD

As Rosewind said, no brutal or bloody deaths, such as in battle, would be allowed.

In addition, killing off a character is kind of a dark theme, even if it is by natural causes. Equestria is a happy place... and the staff feel that there is just no need for some elements. Someone dying is pretty tragic and traumatizing. It's something dark that is just not necessary, and could affect the pleasant experience of other users.

As stated earlier, I would shy away from death in mane RP. However, feel free to go nuts in FFA and private RPs. It's your story and you can do what you want there. As for the persistence of death, each RP thread is technically its own continuity. You only choose to apply what happens to the RP threads as canon for your characters if you and the other players want to. Therefore, death only persists if you feel it good and necessary for your private/FFA RP experience.

Adventure Time and Regular Show, both considered "Kids Shows" both have on screen deaths. Both shows can even be rather gruesome in some bits. Poor Princess Bubblegum is possessed by the Litch King, turned into a horrible monster and then killed by accident, by being broken in half, with bones sticking out and everything...

Contrary to parental belief, Adventure Time and Regular show are not entirely kids shows... More so Adventure Time of the two. FiM is rated G, and Adventure Time is PG. Heck, I'd say it may even borderline PG-13... but you know what Animaniacs got away with. :|

Although technically, wouldn't petrification by Cockatrice stare be a form of "Death"? Considering that death is the ceasing of Basic bodily functions and being stone kinda makes those processes impossible.

Contrary to parental belief, Adventure Time and Regular show are not entirely kids shows... More so Adventure Time of the two. FiM is rated G, and Adventure Time is PG. Heck, I'd say it may even borderline PG-13... but you know what Animaniacs got away with. :-|

Still, the fan base for AT is HUDGE. You've got little bitty kiddies, all the way to full grown adult types. Ofcourse, AT doesn't have the STIGMA of being "My Little Pony". Still, if I had a special Christmas wish, it would be that FIM was made more for that crowd. :blah:

Good lord, death is tricky. Especially in Fallout Equestria crossovers. I mean, you have ponies with flippin' miniguns attached to thier suits. It would be kind of hard not for somepony to lose their life in the process. Also, death has gotten alot more grim in cartoons these days. Iv'e seen people stabbed, crushed, and vaporized in Regular Show alone. And it's even worse in books, the Hunger Games, which is considered a children's book, (trying to keep it safe for the kids here) has even more gruesome deaths that I can't even say on this website.

Someone dying is pretty tragic and traumatizing. It's something dark that is just not necessary, and could affect the pleasant experience of other users.

That, my friend, is the only thing that annoys me about My Little Pony. It's not meant to be taken seriously. It's just a kids show, meant to educate kids about friendship, and overall life values. Trying to cram Death, Fighting, Injury, Hate, Deception, Greed, Lust, and other real world plagues into My Little Pony, is like trying to cram a square cube into a circle hole. Sure Greed, and Hate is sometimes portrayed in MLP, but watered-down, so the little kiddies won't cry.

*sigh*

Especially in Fallout Equestria crossovers. I mean, you have ponies with flippin' miniguns attached to thier suits. It would be kind of hard not for somepony to lose their life in the process. Also, death has gotten alot more grim in cartoons these days. Iv'e seen people stabbed, crushed, and vaporized in Regular Show alone. And it's even worse in books, the Hunger Games, which is considered a children's book, (trying to keep it safe for the kids here) has even more gruesome deaths that I can't even say on this website.

It might be okay for Crossovers, just so long as there is not gore. Since Crossovers is under the Free Roleplay section, the two basic rules are no sex and no gore (in addition to keeping things all ages, no swearing, the regular board rules, and general common sense stuff). Darker themes are also allowed in this area, so long as they still follow those two rules. Characters can die in Crossovers.

Also, the Hunger Games is a kids book? I thought it was YA.

Trying to cram Death, Fighting, Injury, Hate, Deception, Greed, Lust, and other real world plagues into My Little Pony, is like trying to cram a square cube into a circle hole. Sure Greed, and Hate is sometimes portrayed in MLP, but watered-down, so the little kiddies won't cry.

Ya, and it's hard for the staff when people try to create characters for the Equestria Mane RP who have those traits themselves or have experienced them from someone else. That's part of the reason we have the Free Roleplay section, so you can make tragic characters that don't fit into a happy magical universe.