[TER] Scopin' out Appleoosa 2 : Of Businessmares and Apple trees

Bannhammer

Maximilian grinned sheepishly at Madame Bistro's kind words. It wasn't often that somepony gave him such a compliment. She was a nice mare, it wasn't just her looks that had the Rockefilly practically drooling over her.

"Ah, Madame Bistro, I hope one day the history books will take note of the ponies who truly make a difference."

As he started to trot, Max looked thoughtfully over towards the horizon, trying to think of what to say. Part of him wanted to come right out with it, but the more cautious side of the unicorn urged him to be calm and take it slow. Who knows how she would respond? Maximilian wasn't even sure of what he was supposed to do! Having been groomed to succeed his father, social gatherings were never used to find friends, only to find contacts and resources. He could handle the stock market, make millions in the blink of an eye, and yet the most difficult thing Max could try was expressing how he felt.

He walked beside her, taking a small breath before resuming where he left off. "I didn't build my place in history, it was given to me. I understand you too inherited your coffee shop, but you've built it into something far greater than before. I make bits, that's all I do. I don't sell a product, or make ponies happy, all I do is shuffle millions of bits around and make a few more pop out of nowhere for my own pockets. To be honest, it's ponies like you that deserve a place in history."

"Maybe eventually, once I've finished this project and made up for some of my... mistakes, I'll be worthy of such an honor, but until then, I'll leave that place to you. The pony who makes great coffee, puts smiles on our faces, and does a lot more for Equestria than I'll ever hope to achieve."

Maximilian smiled and slowed his pace, hoping to draw out every moment with the mocha mare. Was it time to ask? He wasn't sure, part of him just wanted to get it over with, see what happened, darn the consequences! Before the back of his head could stop him, the words came tumbling out.

"Would you like to grab some coffee together, after the tour? I... I know it must be a bit silly, being asked out to your own establishment, but for lack of a better option..." Max cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck with a hoof. "Would you do me the honor?"

"Please let me know if'n there are any apples on the way that tickle yer fancy, Miss Snowfall."

Snowfall nodded as she went off with Braeburn, curious to hear what he'd say to her as they strolled through the orchard. Snowfall had to admit it was rather beautiful, and fragrant scent of apples in the air made the scenery that much more rewarding.

"That was interesting what y'all said about Las Pegaus, Miss Snowfall; Ah'd never actually been there myself, but Ah did hear how it's a resort all ponies kin enjoy. These here are some red delicious ... nice an' crisp, they are, but they get soft real fast and are great for pies. We don't get many visitors from there, but ya'll kin take a road from Appleoosa up into the mountains to the city. Takes a while, not as good as a train or wings."

The pegasus gave another nod, agreeing with what the farmer was saying. "That's exactly it. To be honest, I've never had a very high opinion of Cloudsdale--or Canterlot, but that's an entirely different matter. There's something about a city set aside just for pegasi that doesn't agree with my view of things. Even with all the pomp and show of it, Las Pegasus is much closer to my ideal for a city paradise in the clouds," Snowfall said as she followed the apple farmer through the red delicious trees and toward the granny smiths. "It's a place where anypony might find a fun time if they look for it."

"Oh, and these up this way, they're some nice Granny Smith apples. A bit of a taste to them, but great fer cookin' tangy apple dumplings. Truth be told, Miss Snowfall, ah muchly need t'tell y'all, ah'm real sorry fer upsettin' y'all th' other day. That was rightly unkind of me, no matter what ah intended."

Braeburn spoke again as they approached the next variety of apples. She had been expecting something of this nature. She closed her eyes and nodded toward him.

"it's quite all right," she said somewhat quietly. "I'm not sure I handled that as best as I could have myself. I'd be more than satisfied to put it behind us for now."

This was about the extent of what she had to say on the matter. She still didn't agree with things said, but she didn't want to press the matter any further. Not now. Today wasn't about that. It was about taking in all this around. She was quite ready to move on and talk about anything else...

Ah, and these are Honeycrisp! Honeycrisps are real nice for makin' tarts with, sweetest apple tarts y'all ever did taste! Y'all should take a few tarts home t'yer gentlecolt. Ah didn't realize y'all already had somepony! Why don't y'all tell me about him?"

Except that! Snowfall froze in place. Where in the world had this come from? She felt a deep anxiety, as her face went completely flush. How did she possibly explain that? How did this pony know about that? Nopony knew she was dating somepony. They had only met a week ago, and it was Bareback Gulch, a town where she was completely unknown. She had said exactly nothing to anypony on the matter too. So how did he know?

Maybe he didn't. Snowfall had enough wealth and influence that her private life wasn't exactly kept a private matter. Stalliongrad tabloids often printed mostly false stories about who she might be seeing. Had Rockerfilly noticed something of that sort while he had been in the city, and then spread it along to this pony? It was possible, but also kind of problematic.

Snowfall certainly wasn't ashamed of Pathfinder. She was the most amazing, energetic pony she had ever met, and just being around her brought her back to the carefree spirit of her fillyhood. Despite that, answering these questions, especially asked this way was definitely a daunting challenge. How did she say that "gentlecolt" was probably about the least appropriate term possible for her special somepony. Of course, denying it or not saying anything on the matter would be a disservice to Pathfinder. No, she had to say something... she'd just have to say it as quickly as I could.

"Oh, well yes I did just very recently start seeing somepony and I'm very optimistic about it since she's very sweet, spirited and inspiring," Snowfall said hastily and fairly quietly, practically in one breath. She then turned toward the trees, ready to deflect the conversation as quick as she could. "Oh, so these are honeycrisps then?! Of all the apples there are they've always been one of the more fascinating!" she lied, not truly knowing the first thing about apples or having heard of this variety before. "There's just something so interesting about their crispness... and their honey-ness... don't you think?" she added, still blushing.

"I still ain't gittin' it," Sheriff Silverstar said as he walked with Louise LaMare away from the others.

"Just take a good look behind you, dear," the brown Pegasus mare said, prompting the mustached lawpony to turn his head to see the 'pairings'. Suddenly, his eyes sprang open.

"OOOOOHHHHHH!" the Sheriff neighed with a sheepish grin. "NOW I git it!"

"Business may be business, but it never outweighs romance. I've written enough love scenes to know that."

"So, is THAT how ya picture you and me, like somethin' outta yur novels? Am I like Sheriff Tin Star to YOUR Miss Cactus Flower, the saloon owner, in 'Spurs In the Sunset?'"

Now it was Louise's turn to be embarrassed as her blushing was so profound, she feared it could be seen beneath her brown fur. In 'Spurs in the Sunset', after saving the fictional town of Horseshoe Ridge from the villainous Tumbleweed Twins, Sheriff Tin Star declared his undying love for Miss Cactus Flower before the two kissed and galloped off into the sunset together.

Madam Bistro was only mildly surprised when Maximilian actually got flustered at her words. So she was right after all about her guess he never had much personal contact in his life. Her success had not left her much opportunity for personal contact as it was until she came to Appleoosa, and he was raised in that environment of success.

This would definitely be a learning experience for both ponies.

It was her turn to blush when he said ponies like her should have a place in the history books for what they do for Equestia.

She was considering telling him not to sell himself short since he was actually doing something and not being a useless fop like a certain Prince, when he seemed to get even more flustered as they walked along.

Bistro held her tongue, waiting for him to speak. It had to be very emotional for him to mull it over so strongly...

Madam Bistro earperked as he finally came out in a rush, then smiled brightly and gave a small curtsy to the unicorn.

"I would be honored, sir. That it's my establishment just makes me a victim of my own success, I suppose." She winks in amusement.

"I do promise that Thorn has been an apt student in the making of my coffee, Maximilian, so the coffee will still be first rate."

Braeburn gave a kick with a single hind leg to drop a few of each kind of apples he introduced to Snowfall into the bucket on his back, with the second nature talent of the Apple Family in bringing down just the right amount of apples ... more or less. But when he noticed snowfall in such a flustered state, something he truly would never have expected to see ... he wasn't sure what to think. From her complete lack of verbal punctuation, he could tell she was either incredibly nervous or incredibly twitterpated by this other pony - just the mere mention was enough to cause Snowfall to almost completely lose her composure. "Well, Miss Snowfall," he said warmly, "She sounds like a right good filly!"

He looked up to the honeycrisp tree she was standing next to, smiling broadly. "A good choice. To bad y'all can't try some with th' honey down the road. Well, maybe we can send a basket and a jar home with y'all fer ye and yer special somepony. Ah reckon they'll love how sweet they are! Are there any other apples y'all would care for, afore we ramble on over tae th' hill where ah'll tell y'all bout Bloomberg?" Braeburn motioned with his forehoof towards the nearby hill and its healthy specimen of a brightly colored apple tree, taller than any other tree around it. "Oh, and how rude of me not to ask ... what is the name of your sweetheart? Perhaps we can figure out somethin' especially appropriate for her as a souvenir."

Maximilian blinked a few times, waiting for the mare's words to fully register. Once they did, his jaw hug open for a moment before he composed himself. The Rockefilly never expected Madame Bistro to say yes, and it took all of his strength not to immediately jump for joy and shout to the heavens. It would be his first real date!

As a dignified business stallion, only a curt nod and a stoic smile were acceptable responses. Maximilian bowed and swept a hoof out in front of him, allowing the beautiful mare to take the lead.

"I'd never doubt the quality of your bistro's work, but I don't think I'd be able to complain about much if I'm with you."

His cheeks shone with a red lighter than bricks, the faintest of blushes creeping onto his face, though the whiteness of his muzzle made even the lightest tinge of red seem that much deeper. Max's inexperience in the area only contributed to the blush, stemming from the self doubt present in his mind. Should he have asked her somewhere else? Should he pay for her, or split the check? Why was he worrying about that now?

After a brief pause, a steady stream of words poured from the stallion's maw. He had big things to focus on, and they were the top priority for now.

"I want to thank you for your help yesterday. You certainly helped diffuse the situation, and I know you're certainly making Miss Snowfall feel like a lot more comfortable here. Braeburn and I see eye to eye, and I can only hope he's giving our guest the same treatment you did!"

He chuckled nervously, still unsure as to what to say or even what to do. Max's voice trailed off, allowing Madame Bistro to seize the initiative and hopefully give the stallion an idea of what to do.

"Well, Miss Snowfall, she sounds like a right good filly!"

Snowfall was honestly a little stunned. Not because this simple by appearances pony had picked out that it was a "she" was dating from the mess of words that she expelled and not because he didn't judge her for that, but more simply because he didn't seem to react to any of it at all. Here she was acting like a fool at his inquiry and her hardly even blinked at any of it. She was used to ponies being far more judgmental or at the very least being far more obvious.

"A good choice. To bad y'all can't try some with th' honey down the road. Well, maybe we can send a basket and a jar home with y'all fer ye and yer special somepony. Ah reckon they'll love how sweet they are! Are there any other apples y'all would care for, afore we ramble on over tae th' hill where ah'll tell y'all bout Bloomberg?"

Snowfall could only just nod, still somewhat stunned. After a moment it occurred to her-- couldn't she just behave normally? Act composed? Was that not reasonable? She was supposed to have it together. She was Snowfall, Stalliongrad's shrewd yet compassionate businessmare. This was nothing!

"Ah, that might be nice, but the thing is we don't live together yet. In fact, for our vocations we both travel quite a lot. We plan to make extensive use of letters to keep connected to one another, but the occasions we will be together in the same place will, for now at least, have to remain somewhat seldom. I'm not sure the practicality of sending her a jar of apples either, though I am certain she would love them if she were to receive one," Snowfall spoke with relative ease. After taking the time to collect herself, it was actually pretty easy to talk about Pathfinder. "That said, I'd be happy to sample any sort of apple you'd want me to try."

"Oh, and how rude of me not to ask ... what is the name of your sweetheart? Perhaps we can figure out somethin' especially appropriate for her as a souvenir."

Snow nodded. "Her name is Pathfinder. I mentioned her last night when I said that somepony dear to me was something of an archaeologist. Though in fairness such a title probably gives the wrong impression. Pathfinder is, well, just a really free-spirited sort. Her sense of adventure takes her throughout Equestria in a search for treasure, curiosities and most importantly perhaps, excitement," Snowfall said, smiling. "Next to me... this CEO who spends all her time stuck in dreary business meetings, obsessing over profits and potential deals, a pony like her probably seems out of place. All the same, there's something special about her... something nostalgic, that takes me back to when I was younger and had a head full of wonderful dreams."

Snow giggled. "Oh, and she's really cute. That's an important part of it too..." she added with a smile.

(ooc): I'll pass on my turn here, since it'd just be more of the Sheriff and Louise 'small talk' :D:D:D

Madam Bistro smiled as she watched the effect her words were having on the unicorn stallion.

That put an extra bounce in her trot seeing that she could do that to a famous pony. It also looked cute on him too.

She heard the sudden flood of words from him and gave a bow "It was my pleasure to help out, Maximilian. I am glad things are working out between you and Braeburn now, and I really hope the same can be said between him and Miss Snowfall."

She sidled up alongside the elegant unicorn, setting the pace toward the famous apple tree. "Oh my, this is a really pleasent orchard to trot through with good company, dont you think?"

Braeburn smiled brightly as he listened to Miss Snowfall talk about her love; what was striking was how she described a pony who was so different than the stoic appearance the pegasus businessmare had displayed. "Ah wonder if'n your marefriend has ever done her explorations and adventurin' out here in th' Painted Pinto. Our desert out past here isn't as mysterious as the Badlands or as exotic as Saddle Arabia, but ah reckon it holds its share of mysteries, magic, and even lost treasure! Ah'll have to share mah tale of how we defeated the ghost lanterns and rescued the lost trains sometime, true story!"

Brabeurn pondered over Snowfall's question about would be an appropriate gift for her special somepony. "Well, each pony has their own favorite apple, can't rightly say which one would be best." Braeburn gave a red delicious tree a solid buck with one of his hind hooves, causing a few to fall into one of his buckets. Then he brightened. "Ah know! We can give yer Pathfinder the gift good ol' AAAAAAAPPLELOOSA is famed for throughout all of Equestria - our famous apple pies! Ah reckon we have some at Madame Bistro's place, Ah'm sure she could spare a few. We can even get them honey drizzled!"

Brabeurn gave another tree, this one of Granny Smiths, a good buck, dropping few more apples. "It doesn't matter what y'all do for a living, nor how old y'all are - y'all kin and SHOULD always have wonderful dreams." Braeburn winked, "Sometimes those dreams come true. Y'all met Pathfinder after all, right?" He gave a lil' grin. "Ah like seein' this side of y'all," he said softly, before looking up towards the nearby hill. "Let's get up to Bloomberg there, he is a whole story in himself!" he said happily, as the other ponies came into clear view.

((OOC Note - Bloomberg is where everypony can meet up again))

"It sure is, especially when the company is you." Maximilian smiled as he trotted side by side with the mocha mare. Everything had gone as planned, maybe even better! She had at least agreed to the date, although it was still yet to be seen whether she returned his feelings or not. Such crushes were alien to the Rockefilly, but he was determined to see it through to the end, darn the consequences! Let Celestia decide what the outcome would be.

Their trot lasted a bit longer, with Maximilian staying quiet as he occasionally looked to his side to see if Madame Bistro was still there. Every now and then, he would open his mouth as if to speak, only to shut his muzzle and face straight ahead with another blush on his face. Part of him wanted to keep the conversation going, maybe get to know her a little better, but every time he just clamped up, afraid to jeopardize the moment. No, he would wait for the right time. After Miss Snowfall was placated, the pair would have their coffee date.

Bloomberg rose into view, the special tree quite the sight even from a distance. Maximilian was the first to actually reach the tree, placing a hoof gently on its trunk as the others trotted in. As soon as everypony was settled, Max picked Miss Snowfall out of the crowd and gave Bloomberg a nice, loud tap. "Well, Miss Snowfall, what do you think of the orchards? It's hard putting the spirit of the Appleoosan ponies into words, but the love and dedication they have for the land around them is evident in this apple field, don't you agree?"

"Ah wonder if'n your marefriend has ever done her explorations and adventurin' out here in th' Painted Pinto. Our desert out past here isn't as mysterious as the Badlands or as exotic as Saddle Arabia, but ah reckon it holds its share of mysteries, magic, and even lost treasure! Ah'll have to share mah tale of how we defeated the ghost lanterns and rescued the lost trains sometime, true story!"

Snowfall nodded at the farmer's words and gave a laugh. "That sounds like the sort of fanciful story Pathfinder would be quick to tell herself," she said. Smiling, she continued. "But yes, I would imagine she's come to the desert before. From how she spoke, it seemed like she had been all across Equestria."

"Well, each pony has their own favorite apple, can't rightly say which one would be best. Ah know! We can give yer Pathfinder the gift good ol' AAAAAAAPPLELOOSA is famed for throughout all of Equestria - our famous apple pies! Ah reckon we have some at Madame Bistro's place, Ah'm sure she could spare a few. We can even get them honey drizzled!"

The pegasus mare gave another nod. "That sounds quite delectable. The only problem is still getting it to her, as I'm really not sure when we'll next be able to meet in person," she said before giving a long sigh.

"It doesn't matter what y'all do for a living, nor how old y'all are - y'all kin and SHOULD always have wonderful dreams."

Snowfall smiled faintly at this line, not sure entirely what to think at first. Dreams? She had never been encouraged to dream. Her parents had decided for her the sort of life she was to live, and for the most part she had never found the strength to veer too far from it. It was quite funny really, in a way. Her parents had both fought so hard to realize all of their dreams, and yet Snowfall had always just been expected to follow what they wanted, and this hadn't changed after her father's disappearance. No, it had grown worse. Now the entire company was expecting her to be the sort of pony her father was. After such a life, dreaming didn't come entirely easy...

"Sometimes those dreams come true. Y'all met Pathfinder after all, right?"

And that was exactly why Pathfinder was so great. She was so bright and invigorating. This pony was right; she was a dream come true. She smiled brightly and just nodded to him, feeling quite positive about the future.

"Ah like seein' this side of y'all. Let's get up to Bloomberg there, he is a whole story in himself!"

"All right. I'll be curious to hear it," Snow said with a nod to the pony, following after him toward the tree called Bloomberg. It was there that they reunited with the others. Rockerfilly approached first and spoke to her.

"Well, Miss Snowfall, what do you think of the orchards? It's hard putting the spirit of the Appleoosan ponies into words, but the love and dedication they have for the land around them is evident in this apple field, don't you agree?"

Snowfall just nodded to the Manehattan stallion. "Indeed, Rockerfilly. I believe I may be starting to see it, when it comes to the locals here. Regardless, this orchard is unquestionably lovely."

Sheriff Silverstar and Louise LaMare continued their walk together.

"Where was we supposed ta meet up with the rest of the group agin'?" the lawpony asked.

"Look!" the brown Pegasus mare pointed with a front hoof. "They're over near Bloomberg!"

"Next time I talk to Braeburn, gotta ask him how that thar tree got a name like that."

"That's the name AppleJack gave him, dear."

"But how in the hay did she come up with it? Aint none of our other trees got names."

"Nevermind that for now, darling, we're almost there," Louise whispered as the duo walked over to Bloomberg.

(OOC, Sorry delays, been a lot of IRL getting in my way this past week...)

"It sure is, especially when the company is you."

Madam Bistro smiled pleasantly as she trotted alongside Maximilian.

She watched out of the corner of her eye as the stallion kept opening his mouth to speak and ending up closing it again.

Bistro had never had that effect of getting a pony tongue tied on a stallion in a long time, -that she noticed anyway. She had always been too busy in Manehattan and Canterlot to do more than pleasent chatting with anypony, and the customer base in locations since tended to have males more interested in her monetary worth than in who she was.

Why was this town so different? -And thank Celestia it was!

She stopped near the great Bloomburg appletree and watched as Max laid a hoof on the tree.

She smiled, thinking that moment would be a great picture and was sorry she didnt have a camera...

Braeburn gave a big ol' friendly smile, "Well, then, ah reckon ah have an idea t'solve that. If'm yer special somepony is an adventurer and is always off traveling, what y'all kin do is give her some vouchers fer our signature apple pies! This way, when she next travels through our fair town of AAAAAAPPLELOOSA! She can get some tasty vittles. She'll remember you got her the vouchers an' think of you as she tastes the best pies in all of Equestria! How about that!" He nudged Snowfall lightly in the side as he smiled brightly and gave a wink, obviously proud of his idea for her. He'd thought of offering to buy the vouchers himself ... but figured she might want to buy her own gift for her marefriend.

By this time, the pair had made it up to top of the small hill in the center of the orchard, giving a first time clear view of all the trees and Braeburn's little farm house. At the center of the hill stood a tree that was taller than the rest, its leaves brighter - Bloomberg itself. Braeburn stood under its shady branches, waving proudly to the other ponies of his little tour as they walked up the hill. "Howdy y'all! Ah hope you'll had a great time picking' apples out there mah orchard, and maybe got to know each other a bit better!" The less than subtle stallion winked in the general direction of Max and Caramel. "Now, here's the pride and joy of mah little orchard, Bloomberg!" Bareburn pointed upwards towards the tall tree with bright red apples.

"Bloomberg here represents a special Apple family tradition. See, when a new orchard is started in our family, it is part of the Apple Clan tradition to bring a tree from one of the other family orchards, in this case, mah cousin Applejack's favorite tree from Sweet Apple Acres!" Braeburn gave Bloomberg a good ol' pat, as if it was a member of the family itself, "Bah always havin' a tree from another orchard, it means all th' Apple Family orchards are th' same orchard, just separated by distance. This ol' tree was given to mah cousin Applejack when she was just a little filly, her very first apple tree, and she took special care of him all them years she was grown' up. He was almost like a foal of her own; now he stands here tall an proud, watching' over a new orchard!" To many ponies, this may have sounded a bit silly, but to an Apple like Braeburn, it was truly special. It represented their way of life, a special gift, a symbol, and tradition. "So ... any questions so far?"

Max nodded slowly, letting Braeburn speak his peice and set the crowd up for his following speech. The farmer pony spoke true, his words hopefully showing Miss Snowfall why he wanted her to see the orchards. Appleoosa was far from just any old frontier town, it was a town of hopes, dreams, families, and a bright future. It was Max's hope that the mare from Stalliongrad could see that.

"I don't have anything to ask, but I do have something to add. This town is far more than just a settlement, it's far more than a dusty row of buildings in the middle of nowhere, and while it may look the same, it's the ponies here that make it special. From a business point of view, I guess you could say it's a wise investment, but I think it's a bit more than that. I've put my entire fortune behind this town, I believe in Appleoosa, that's why I'm proud to call myself an Appleoosan."

He patted Bloomberg again before looking at his esteemed guest. "It's not easy, taking a leap of faith, especially when there's so much at stake and everypony is watching you, but that's just how much I trust these ponies. I don't expect you to have the same belief, but I hope that what you saw today can at least make sense of it all for you."

"Well, then, ah reckon ah have an idea t'solve that. If'm yer special somepony is an adventurer and is always off traveling, what y'all kin do is give her some vouchers fer our signature apple pies! This way, when she next travels through our fair town of AAAAAAPPLELOOSA! She can get some tasty vittles. She'll remember you got her the vouchers an' think of you as she tastes the best pies in all of Equestria! How about that!"

Snowfall nodded. That would definitely work for her. Pathfinder would probably be delighted at the idea of having coupons for free pie. She hadn't struck Snowfall as a pony with very much money to her name, especially when she was out in the field adventuring; a delicious apple pie would probably go a long way for her. "That sounds like an excellent idea," she said softly in approval.

"Howdy y'all! Ah hope you'll had a great time picking' apples out there mah orchard, and maybe got to know each other a bit better! Now, here's the pride and joy of mah little orchard, Bloomberg! Bloomberg here represents a special Apple family tradition. See, when a new orchard is started in our family, it is part of the Apple Clan tradition to bring a tree from one of the other family orchards, in this case, mah cousin Applejack's favorite tree from Sweet Apple Acres! Bah always havin' a tree from another orchard, it means all th' Apple Family orchards are th' same orchard, just separated by distance. This ol' tree was given to mah cousin Applejack when she was just a little filly, her very first apple tree, and she took special care of him all them years she was grown' up. He was almost like a foal of her own; now he stands here tall an proud, watching' over a new orchard!"

As the group regrouped, Braeburn began to speak at length of the rather majestic apple tree on the hill in front of them. Snowfall honestly wasn't aware that ponies actually ever named trees. That seemed kind of strange to her, yet at the same Bloomberg certainly was an impressive specimen. Even among the orchard's countless trees, it had a distinct character all its own. More over, this ritual struck her as poignant. Family wasn't something she had ever been able to put much stock in. She didn't even really know her extended family, and all that really remained of her immediate was her mother who she didn't exactly see eye to eye with. The idea of some massive family, extended to every corner of Equestria yet ever connected by strong ties struck a chord with the pegasus, and also made her a touch envious.

"I think that's a lovely gesture," Snow said nodding. "And Bloomberg is definitely a fine tree."

"I don't have anything to ask, but I do have something to add. This town is far more than just a settlement, it's far more than a dusty row of buildings in the middle of nowhere, and while it may look the same, it's the ponies here that make it special. From a business point of view, I guess you could say it's a wise investment, but I think it's a bit more than that. I've put my entire fortune behind this town, I believe in Appleoosa, that's why I'm proud to call myself an Appleoosan. It's not easy, taking a leap of faith, especially when there's so much at stake and everypony is watching you, but that's just how much I trust these ponies. I don't expect you to have the same belief, but I hope that what you saw today can at least make sense of it all for you."

Rockerfilly began to speak at that point of his love for Appleloosa. She wasn't quite sure what he was trying to convince her of with his words, but Snowfall did take something away from them regardless. She had been unsure about this stallion since meeting him in Stalliongrad. She wasn't sure if she could trust him, if he was on the level with her or if he was only out for himself and using her. Seeing him speak so fondly, his hoof tapping the apple tree reverently, Snowfall's doubt was erased. This was all genuine. There was no faking this; not to this extent. All of his enthusiasm, all of his fond words, it was no act, no game. For once, Snowfall felt ready to fully trust this pony.

"I believe I do see some of the beauty you do, Maximilian," Snowfall said, actually using the stallion's first name for once. "It's a splendid town, and these ponies you've introduced me to are only the finest sort. I understand how you feel, and while my heart now and forever will always be devoted to my home, to my Stalliongrad, after what I've seen so far here today, I most definitely would very much like to see this young town prosper and thrive. I will do my part to ensure that that is exactly what transpires."

Sheriff Silverstar and Louise LaMare arrived under the shade of Bloomberg as the others in their group there waiting.

"Take a gander at all these apple trees, folks!" the mustached lawpony proudly proclaimed, "this is the land that we Appleoosians almost fought the buffalo fer! Ain't it perty?"

"It is a lovely orchard," added Louise, "and a major source of food for both the townfolk and our buffalo friends as well. This is all a part of the spirit of Appleoosa: working together, sharing what we have with others and peacefully co-existing with the environment around us."

"Reckon that's a fancy way of puttin' it, Miss LaMare. Alrighty folks, what would ya like to see next?"

Madam Bistro listened to Maximillian speak glowingly of what the town meant to him and that he was proud to be an Appaloosan.

She puffed her chest out proudly as she realized he meant every word and she felt the same way. She would be counting the minutes until their... date? yes, date, even if it was at her place.

Caramel softly beat her hooves to the ground in the pony equivalent of a golf clap. "Bravo, Maximillian. Well said."

She turned to watch Louise and Sherrif Silverstar. as they said their piece. "I will defer to Miss Snowfall on that. I am pretty sure even i have not seen all there is to see of Appleoosa in a leisurely manner. I must admit this is the longest I have spent in the orchard since the whirlwind tour Braeburn gives everypony who moves in."

Braeburn looked at Maximilian suspiciously, then realized what he was doing. Wasn't he the one who had said that Appleloosa was open to everypony to love? And here he was, mistrusting Max and thinking he had some ulterior motive just because he was a big-city pony. His dam had taught him better than this, always teaching him to give ponies a chance! He should be ashamed of himself! Of course Max loved Appleloosa just as much as the rest of them! Why shouldn't he? He was sure that Snowfall would learn to love Appleloosa just as much!

He smiled broadly, "well, Miss Snowfall, Ah'm plum tickled that y'all are liking our lil' town of AAAAAPPLELOOSA so much! Ah reckon ol' Bloomberg here has a bit of a pink to his leaves, he's so embarassed at yer compliments!" He nodded to the sheriff, and gestured down to the wide path, big enough for a half-dozen ponies to run side by side quite comfortably. "I lost a few trees to it, but it was worth it for such neighborly sorts as th' buffalo turned out t'be! I must say, I'm right proud to have such a path through my orchard! An' other orchards round here have th' same sorts of paths, all leadin' together t'here! Why, give it a few years, an' the yearly stampede'll be as popular as the Runnin' of the Leaves!"

Braeburn turned back towards Snowfall and smiled broadly, "As y'all are our guest, it's only right that we show y'all whatever y'all would like t' see next. There's so much t' Appleloosa! Th' horse-drawn carriages, th' wild west dances, th' mild west dances, th' salt lick, the horse-drawn horse-drawn carriages, some other orchards, some other ponies with farms that aren't orchards ... though ah'm not ashamed t'say, ah reckon y'all have already seen the best part of Appleloosa!" Braeburn gave a broad grin and a playful wink; there was no shortage of pride in this Apple for his orchard.

Snowfall smiled slightly and gave a nod at the ponies' words, understanding these ponies a little better. The story of the buffalo was an interesting one. This town had clearly overcome a lot to get where it was. She could really respect and admire that sort of thing. As a business minded mare, there was nothing more impressive to her than finding success in the face of failure.

Braeburn and the Sheriff turned to her in asking where they should go next. Snow gave them a smile and a quiet nod. "Well, with my busy schedule it's doubtful I'll be back this way for some time. I'd quite like to see everything you think is worth seeing."

"Just lead the way," she said with a short nod to the sherif and the others. "You all definitely know more about what is worth seeing in this town than I do."

"Sure thing, ma'am," Sheriff Silverstar said as he began to think outloud. "Let me ponder this a spell. Did we already show'm the horse drawin' carriages, and the horses drawin' horse drawin' carriages? Did we show'm whar we hold our Wild West dances and Mild West dances? I can't recollect if we show'm the Salt Block either. Hay Braeburn, where do ya think we should take these wonderful ponies next?"

Louise LaMare giggled at the mention of all those locations. Sure, she's heard the 'usual tour' information over and over again, but the light brown Pegasus mare couldn't help but be amused each time they were mentioned.

"How about showing them the new clock tower?" she suggested. "Had to be rebuilt after the Buffalo incident."

Madam Bistro giggled politely and figured she might as well slip a little on formality on Maxamillian's name to see how he reacts.

"I think its safe to say Miss Snowfall has not had that experience of the grand tour as yet. Max has been going out of his way to make sure she got her hooves under her before finding out how lively the town is."

She perked her ears up at the mention of the clocktower. She hoped Miss Snowfall might pick that destination next.

"Oh that's right. Somepony mentioned to me it had been damaged in the Great Pie Fight. Who built it originally? And did the same maker do the repairs?"

Braeburn was pleased - the tour had gone exceptionally well. Not only did he get to show off his and, he would argue, Appleloosa's pride and joy, and not only did he manage to win over the newcomers with Appleloosa's charm and beauty, but he also managed to smooth things over with Snowfall. He wasn't really sold on all the vague benefits that having Miss Snowfall apparently approving of his beloved town would bring, but it was obviously important to everypony else in the party. And he much preferred it if mares were smiling than not.

"Well, now our tour of Buffalo Run Orchard is all good and done, and y'all have some ah the best apples in all of Equestria, Ah reckon we can give y'all the grand tour of AAAAAAAPPLELOOSA itself!" Braeburn grinned eagerly. "Well, Miss Bistro, we all rather chipped in to build the clocktower when we first settled AAAAAAPPLELOOSA! At that time, we just had tents, an' the clocktower was the first official building in town, meant to mark the center and be seen by pegasus ponies from a distance t' help them navigate. We all chipped in t' fix it, too, but the difference bein' the buffalo lent a hoof."

With that explanation, Braeburn came alongside the quintet and used his head to push them towards the town, "let's go, thar's a lot to show y'all!"

---The End---