What do you think gen 4 would have been like WITHOUT the show

Mistfire

Pinkie pie's double standards? Twi breaks her Pinkie Promise for realsies and all she gets is some patronizing, but Applejack get a full metal carnage at hooves of the party pony? And she technically did nothing...

i know right, i just realised how selective pinkie can be

• 3 years later...

Such an old thread, but couldn't care less.

Now I'm not sure wether or not your saying if the show didn't exist at all if you mean Fim or a mlp cartoon in general considering I'm too lazy to comprehend large posts like those. But I'll assume the former since surely there still would have been a show

In my opinion, it probably wouldn't look and act like a dang anime with the gigantic eyes and plots, no pop culture references, and maybe something that isn't flash animated (seriously it's meant for internet animation) but instead hand drawn, well depending on the budget who's making it of course. For the characters they're personalities and designs would've been different because of how Lauren Faust and her team wanted to change and mix up the ponies for some reason. Examples of what would probably have happened is: Rainbow Dash would act like Rarity, Posey err I mean fluttershy would not have had wings, Spike would stayed blue.... Or pink I dunno. Lastly the writing.... I guess it depends really. And also it would be less likely for bronies to come along really, if there even IS a chance (I'm looking at you 4chan)

There would be a whole lot of toys.  I don't think it would be tootoo successful, but it would be like any other toy brand without a TV show.  Nothing special.  Nothing particular.  Probably would have faded from fashion in a few months or a year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The whole generation wouldn't exist without the show, for the first thing that Hasbro wanted in the new MLP generation was an animated series that the new generation would be based on. They wanted to outsource the whole development of the new generation to some poor sap animation producer whose soul they'd just have acquired. Then they wanted to sell the pony toys based on that show as merch. They did the same with Transformers, remember? First they had Michael Bay make a Hollywood blockbuster movie, and then they sold the matching Transformers toys as movie merch.

Now, a more interesting question would be what if Lauren Faust hadn't tried to plug her Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls to Hasbro at the right time. There would have been a new generation, and there would have been a new TV show. But I don't think that whoever they would have hired as the show head would have had their own agenda with MLP and stood up against what Hasbro wanted to have. Hasbro wanted G3.6. And I guess that pretty much everybody else they could have asked would have made just that. (Or do you really think they would've hired someone like John Kricfalusi, Matt Groening, Seth MacFarlane or Matt Stone & Trey Parker?)

• 6 months later...