[Dodge Junction] Salt Of The Earth- Dodge Junction's Very Own Salt Bar! [FINISED]

8y95w5.jpg

Heart-Shaped Box opened the store, flipping the sign and whistling a tune. Her work was very rewarding, and she enjoyed it immensely. She started up the old jukebox and began to play a funky Shy And The Family Pone song. She quietly hummed along, standing behind the counter once more. It was bright and early, but she hoped some ponies would stop by for some Root Beer, Salt, or some of her delicious fresh baked cherry pie. Ever since she had been promoted to manager of this bar, she felt a bit more entitlement in her job. She was no longer waitressing in a short skirt, nosiree! She was serving root beers and lending advice! She meant business now!

MENU

Custom Brewed Root Beer- 3 bits, free refills

Ice Cold Water- Free

Delicious Salt Block- 4 bits

Nectarous Wheatgrass Juice- 2 bits

Crunchy Barley Plate- 1 bit

Homestyle Mozza Sticks Platter- 3 bits

Fresh Baked Pie-Of-The-Day (Today's is Cherry)- 2 bits per slice, 5 per pie

Old-Fashioned Soft Pretzel with Dipping Sauces- 1 bit

TODAYS SPECIAL

Delectable Salt Block with a Spicy Pepper Garnish- 1 bit

SUGGEST A SONG ON OUR JUKEBOX- 1 bit

Trust me, we've got everything!

WELCOME TO THE SALT BAR! ANY OCs AND CHARACTERS CAN JOIN, NO INVITE NEEDED!

post-3827-0-80172700-1339660357_thumb.jp

A cocoa colored unicorn quietly entered the bar, her mane disheveled and her eyes red and weary. Her horn, inclined somewhat towards the ground as the mare hung her head, passively radiated a dim, yellow light. Despite her ragged appearance, she seemed durable, fit, and lean, as if her current condition was nothing out of the ordinary. She had no bags or adornments - indeed, this mare seemed to carry nothing besides her own weight. This may have complicated her visit to this bar.

The mare slowly dragged herself to the counter and looked first to the menu, then up at the counter's attendant. With a meek, raspy voice, she asked, "Do, ah... do you have any water?"

She paused and would have added, "But, er, I have no money."

Though the sentiment was a shameful one, she did not seem ashamed of her poverty. Rather, she seemed to be ashamed of even asking something of the attendant.

2450v9u.jpg

Boxy watched as a quiet-mannered unicorn entered the bar, her head hanging low. She was a bit surprised at the newcomer, Salt Of The Earth was a very happy little joint. She kept it clean, and music playing. Maybe she could cheer the poor filly up a bit. Boxy neared the new pony and inspected her as she scanned the menu. She had entered with no items on her. Did she have money to pay? Heart-Shaped Box smiled her biggest, and listened as the unicorn spoke. She responded immediately, force of habit, and filled up a tall glass of crystal clear, ice cold water.

"Sure, ah've got water, it's a free bev'rage here! Take a seat, hun. Where ya from?" She asked, her southern drawl making her speech ring.

As Boxy poured the glass of water, the unicorn smiled a little bit, giving a happy little sigh. Her horn glowed stronger and the glass levitated to the mare's mouth. She drained it in a second flat, let the glass sit on the counter, then sat herself as commanded and paused before responding to Boxy, "I'm from a little place in the Saddleveil Plains, near the southern end of the Harridans... - Er, my name's Guiding Starlight - ...It's called Bypass."

Starlight looked to the side for a moment, then looked back to Boxy and continued, "Because nopony does anything more than pass by it. But also because it's right before a passage through the Harridans. Travellers would pay my family to guide them through - it could be dangerous." She seemed to become enthused as she spoke of her home, though her enthusiasm was a very muted sort. Still, her smile had grown wider as she spoke. But then it leveled some as she continued, in her neutral fashion, "When I left home, I had to leave my supplies with my family. Supplies are really short there. I figured I could manage supplies on the way."

Then she perked her head with some surprise and said apologetically, "Sorry! I rambled. 'Bypass' probably would have done fine."

A lean navy stallion was flying through the early morning sky enjoying the sun as it rose, he's been traveling through the night because he found it easier thanks to the cooler temperatures, seeing that he wasn't from the borderlands he wasn't really used to the heat so unless something was urgent he preferred to relax a bit while he traveled and now he needed to rest after a long flight so it was lucky that there was a small town not to far from where he was, so adjusting his flight course slightly he headed towards the town.

When he landed in the town he realized how light his saddlebags felt meaning that he was running low on supplies that could be easily solved but first he needed a drink so he started to look around the place soon finding a nice looking bar "Salt of the earth? sounds alright" he muttered to himself happily as he walked up to the bar, as he opened the door he saw two other ponies talking "hello there" he said projecting his voice to be heard easily so as to get their attention.

2450v9u.jpg

Boxy had heard of all kinds of places, her bar had vistors from all over Equestria. She had, however, never even heard of the place Guiding Light was from. She was fascinated, her curious nature taking over.

"Nah, hun, it's tot'ly okay! Tell me more!" Boxy said, refilling Guiding Light's water. She leaned a bit farther over the counter to listen in carefully. She noticed the song change to "Dancing Foal" by ABBEIGH.

Just then, a cobalt pegasus entered the building, his booming voice demanding her attention. She turned, retracting away from the counter slowly. She smiled, greeting the new pegasus.

"Howdy there, partner! What can ah do for ya this fahne sunny day?"

"Oh, I'm glad you - ah!" Starlight began before Boxy noticed the third pony. She turned to him, and after Boxy greeted him, Starlight smiled a little bit and said shortly, "Hello," before levitating her water and drinking from it more slowly now. Beyond that she said nothing, preferring to let the other two spend their energies on each other.

Listening to the hostess as he walked up to the counter he looked at the menu "hmm well a glass of Weatgrass juice wouldn't go amiss if you don't mind" he said with a smile and in a much softer voice than he'd announced himself with, As he went to rummage through his saddlebags for some bits to pay with he said "it's a nice place you've got here, the names Dusk Twister by the way" the n continuing to look for the bits.

2450v9u.jpg

Wheatgrass juice was Boxy's favorite treat, and ponies seldom ordered it! She enjoyed preparing it, it smelled nice and sweet.

"One wheatgrass juice comin' up!" Boxy announced, grabbing a hoof-full and placing it in the blender.

She then added some water, so that the sweetness of the drink would not overwhelm. Boxy set a timer for one minute, in order to get juice of the perfect thickness. She had mastered this recipe, through years of training and experimentation. She pressed "blend" and sat behind the counter as it worked. The whir of the blender continued softly, and it was a familiar, comforting sound. She smiled, happy to meet new friends and to be making Wheatgrass Juice.

"Nahce to meet ya, Dusk Twister! Ah'm Heart-Shaped Box, but mah friends call me Boxy! And here, you're all mah friends! Where ya from, hun?"

Boxy's timer dinged that a minute was over, and she stopped the blender abruptly. In a delicate green glass she poured the Wheatgrass Juice, then slid it to Dusk gently, as not to spill it. The last thing she wanted was more work, especially after such a smooth blend. It smelled perfect.

Starlight watched Boxy as she prepared Dusk Twister's wheatgrass juice. Wheatgrass juice... two bits. Water... free. Water wins every time. As Boxy worked, Starlight nursed her water, and by the time Dusk Twister's glass was full, Starlight's was empty. She smelled the juice and looked at Dusk and his saddlebag. She almost said something, but she stopped herself, instead sitting back and awaiting Dusk's introduction, figuring she had had her turn at it.

Looking back up he placed 2 bits on the counter and then picked up the glass now next to him smelling the sweet scent coming from it and sighing contentedly "well i'm from up near Trottingham myself a nice little village just outside the town, nice enough place but it got boring" he said answering Boxy's question "just been traveling around since i left there helping out where i can really".

He took a sip of his drink savoring the flavor as it washed around his mouth and then down his parched throat helping him to relax a bit, he then turned to the unicorn who he'd noticed sitting not to far away "hey there" he said casually "what's your name then?"

Starlight responded immediately and brightly, though not loudly, grinning a little bit at Dusk, "Guiding Starlight. Starlight is fine." She paused a moment, eyeing his drink, then looking back up at him. "It sounds like you and I are doing the same thing," she continued, "though you're better, uh. Prepared." She eyed his saddlebags again.

"I've never even heard of Trottingham. It sounds far away. Why did you come to Dodge Junction? Why not some other place?"

"Well this town was just the closest really, come here to rest for a bit before continuing onward and Trottingham's up in the heartland near Ponyville, nice to meet you by the Starlight" he replied nonchalantly, taking another sip of his drink he looked back at Starlight "do you want a drink? i'll pay for it" he said with a smile not really bothered with spending a bit more money.

Patiently she listened with a muted smile. She wracked her brain for the name Trottingham as Dusk spoke of it, but nothing came to her - though she did not let this reflect on her face. She said nothing until Dusk offered her a drink. Then, immediately, she grinned wide and replied, "Yes, please!"

She gave herself a split second to consider something and looked to Boxy. "A wheatgrass juice," she said to Boxy. Then, turning back to Dusk, she added, "If you please."

"Sure thing Starlight" he quickly went through his saddlebags producing 2 more bits and placed them on the counter "there you go" he said cheerfully to Boxy then taking another sip of his drink.

Humming to the tune on the jukebox he turned back to look at Starlight, while drinking a bit more he regarded the Unicorn for a second letting himself relax a bit more getting more comfortable with the surroundings "well it's nice to meet you two it's always good to meet new ponies" he said with a smile while happily looking around at the bar continuing to hum to the tune

2450v9u.jpg

Boxy watched as her guests talked and bonded. They were both travellers, and got along very well. Boxy listened intently to their conversation, but busied herself with dishes so that she wouldn't appear creepy. The only thing that needed actual cleaning was yesterdays Pie Pan, which was key lime.

She heard Starlight speak up, ordering a Wheatgrass Juice compliments of Dusk. Boxy was once more delighted to be making them her favorite treat!

"Comin' right up, Miss Stalahght!"

As Boxy prepared the next batch, she hummed to herself. The day had already started off so nicely! She was definitely going to have enough money for her latest material and pattern. She had been sewing up a storm lately, hoping to stockpile designs for her shop. Next week, she would visit Canterlot and look for a place to set up shop. She would be sad to see the bar go when it came down to it.

As the wheatgrass finished blending, Boxy poured Starlight a glass and waited for a positive reaction.

"Thank you!" Starlight said enthusiastically to Dusk as he paid his bits. She turned to watch Boxy make the drink eagerly, As Dusk looked at Starlight, she returned it with a lingering stare, then smiled after a pause.

"I'm glad to have met the two of you, too," she said, still facing Dusk. Then she turned back to Boxy and beheld the glass a moment, then levitated it and drank it all as quickly as she had her first glass of water. Afterwards, she gasped pleasantly and let the glass sit on the counter. "It was good," she commented quietly. Then she quickly added, mostly to Boxy, "Has there been anything interesting going on in Equestria, lately? News doesn't travel well to my village. Anything a traveller should know?"

2450v9u.jpg

Boxy pondered for a moment. She was less into news and more into gossip. She followed celebrities, but lately equesria had been pretty quiet. Except for the Royal Wedding, of course. But Starlight had surely heard about that...right? How could she not? It was all over the news, and spreading mouth-to-mouth like a wildfire!

"Ya'll heard about the Royal Weddin', rahght? How Princess Cad'nce was replaced by a changlin'?"

Dusk sat there quietly smiling to himself as Starlight drank her Wheatgrass juice then drinking some of his own polishing off the last of it and placing the glass back on the counter, listening to the other two Ponies talking about the news he perked up hearing about the Royal Wedding, he'd heard a lot about that in towns over the last couple of weeks and some strange stuff happened there if what he heard was true "I heard about that wasn't Canterlot attacked or something as well?" he asked now his interest was piqued/

As the other two spoke, Starlight listened quietly, even somewhat blankly. As Boxy mentioned the Royal Wedding, Starlight made no reaction. When she named the Princess, Starlight did not blink. Then she turned to Dusk and squinted as he relayed the rumour of an attack on the capitol. None of it seemed to register. After a bit, she turned back to Boxy and asked plainly, "Who's Cadance? Is that royalty? I haven't heard about a royal wedding, or a Cadance... or any attack on Canterlot."

Boy, was she out of the loop.

2450v9u.jpg

Boxy could not believe her ears. Even SHE didn't pay attention to the news, and she knew all about this! Who didn't? It was the biggest scandal Equestria had ever seen, in her opinion! Perhaps that's why she liked it so much. She looked at Dusk and Starlight with questioning stares, but they returned only blank ones.

"You two hones'ly haven't heard of this?! It was pretty wahld! There was this unicorn, whatshisname, Shahnin' Armor or somethin'. An' he was marryin' this Alicorn, Princess Cad'nce. Lets not even get STARTED on her, ah don't know who's daughter she is, but she's an Alicorn, an' she's darn pretty, like seriously ah don't even know why ponies lahke her exist sometahmes. An' anyways, she was marryin' this unicorn, an' she got replaced by this changlin' queen or somethin named Chrysawhatsit-"

Boxy stopped to breath, sucking air in desperately. She began to pant. As soon as her breathing evened out, she started up chattering again.

"An' this changlin' queen locked the Princess and this mare named Twahlaghht Sparkler up, or somethin', an' then they escaped and, an' they interrupted the cer'mony, an' there was this HUGE battle, an' turns out changlin's feed offa luv or somethin', an' Chrysasomethin' was defeated, an' Cad'nce and Shahnin' Armor got married!An' it's okay now."

Boxy blushed, realising that she probably sounded ridiculous. She had just given a rambling speech about something she hadn't been well informed of, and it had seemed to all come out wrong. She giggled at herself, and at the faces of her customers.

"Woah there, you two sure do look funny!"