The Linux Topic

Now in the world of computers everyone thinks its all PC Vs Mac when it all goes down to is the operating system each uses.

The typical PC runs Windows, if you dont own a Mac most likely you are using Windows to access E-mail, the internet. play games and all that.

But there is an alternative to both out there that I think everyone should at least give a shot, and its name is Linux.

Linux like Windows is a way to do things with your computer like browse the net and view email however unlike windows Linux is a free operating system and very useful as an OS to have as a backup or companion to windows in a dual boot.

The reason why I suggest giving linux a shot nowadays is due to how messy Windows is anymore, even with Windows 7 it will be out the door soon enough thanks to windows 8.

Linux is not a drop in replacement for windows though so take that into consideration, also some versions of linux are easier to use then others.

If any of you are interested in linux my personal suggestion is Linux Mint as a starting point as it gives you everything you need:

DVD and MP3 playback, flash (though maybe not for long as those morons at adobe dropped linux support), java, all the stuff that other distributions of linux cannot give by default.

Now more then likely you might have heard of something called Ubuntu, currently it is the leading distribution in linux and with good reasons.

It is very easy to use and set up and has an array of tools to get a newcommer started.

There are only two major weakpoints for linux holding it back, gaming support and Netflix.

Gaming support however is looking a little better but sadly netflix wont support linux so if you are a heavy netflix user or gamer Linux is not for you.

But if you need a good OS for browsing the net, looking at e-mail, chat, office and other stuff dual booting linux is a good option when windows goes on the fritz.

I personally have used linux for over 5 years now and i wont be stopping anytime soon, I am glad to be practically free of windows except for netflix as honestly even with how good windows 7 is it still has all the hallmarks of a windows OS such as having to shut down just to preform a minor update.

Plus having to have all this software in it to boost its security is a chore, granted i might be a good net goer and not download anything that might hurt my system but its always good to have a safety net especially when windows is concerned.

If any of you are interested in linux and or using it on the side please feel to post in this topic.

• Like 1

I have linux. It has some nice programs, but Windows is a helluva lot easier to use!

Eh its all based on learning curve and what you want it to do.

If say you are a gamer then yes windows is the better.

However if you are comparing a clean install of say Ubuntu to a full;y loaded pre installed version of Windows 7 you are being pretty unfair to linux.

This is because most computer makers install all the codecs and pretty little things for you, but if you get a fresh copy of windows its just as hard to set up as linux, heck I dare say windows is harder depending on the hardware.

It all goes down to familiarity and experience so of course you would have issues with it, its a lot like owning an apple.

• 1 month later...

I use Windows for my everyday needs, but most of my job is based around Linux. I'm learning shell stuff more and more and really enjoying it. Linux is a very powerful tool. I'm finding more limitations in Windows that Linux has no issues with. I don't think I could ever fully make the jump to Linux, but I do have a much deeper appreciation for it now.

• 5 months later...

had no problem until I tried to use it, the UNIX kernel is awful, the window manager places stuff were it feels like, multitasking is a nightmare, processes move non stop and are placed where the manager feel it likes it... Many of the daily use programs are awful old or dated, or alien to modern PC's (Really, I got a cute cursor keyset, I really don't want to use the Wordstar diamond) The new program installation is unneeded confusing and cumbersome... When it wants to, it can be more confusing than Windows NT running on a 486 with XMS.

And last, I don't like it.

had no problem until I tried to use it, the UNIX kernel is awful, the window manager places stuff were it feels like, multitasking is a nightmare, processes move non stop and are placed where the manager feel it likes it... Many of the daily use programs are awful old or dated, or alien to modern PC's (Really, I got a cute cursor keyset, I really don't want to use the Wordstar diamond) The new program installation is unneeded confusing and cumbersome... When it wants to, it can be more confusing than Windows NT running on a 486 with XMS.

And last, I don't like it.

Calling linux bad because you tried UNIX?

The two are nothing alike, Linux is similar to Unix but is not based on it.

Plus there are a lot of devices that run Unix or unix like OS's like Android, Macs, even Windows has some traits from unix in its NT variants like Windows XP and 7

my fault, no as you think, I forgot Linux is an Unix clone (copy/inspiration/lookalike) the point, it's quite dated compared to 10 years ago, big things like firefox or Gimp are well alive, but the last KDE I think it's 3.X that dates to 2002 and the last debian distro hails from 2005... I refuse to try Ubuntu or Mandriva and it's assistants. But I admit, the iPhone works like a champ, albeit on Android, my old Linux peeves made a bite-back. (Ok, got root access, got the installer, got the packages, but still no-cigar Android now wants me to open a terminal session through a non-present USB host) That happened on my Kira N7000 netbook (By the way, I installed debian, but no keyboard and the eth0 got it's name at random)... My non fondness of Linux is well funded...

• 2 months later...

my fault, no as you think, I forgot Linux is an Unix clone (copy/inspiration/lookalike) the point, it's quite dated compared to 10 years ago, big things like firefox or Gimp are well alive, but the last KDE I think it's 3.X that dates to 2002 and the last debian distro hails from 2005... I refuse to try Ubuntu or Mandriva and it's assistants. But I admit, the iPhone works like a champ, albeit on Android, my old Linux peeves made a bite-back. (Ok, got root access, got the installer, got the packages, but still no-cigar Android now wants me to open a terminal session through a non-present USB host) That happened on my Kira N7000 netbook (By the way, I installed debian, but no keyboard and the eth0 got it's name at random)... My non fondness of Linux is well funded...

first

LINUX4LYFE

then let me put my point

1.speed

i remember the days when i had windows 7 and xp they all slow down my computer,crippled the poor man and lastly it would take time to open word,browser or anything simple

2. security

first thing you do when you buy a new computer is?

buy an anti-virus

but why because windows is least secure OS in the whole word don't lie to me it always need anti-virus

3.using old computer

oh your "old" computer is getting old.How old is it? OH MY 6 year that must be very old it is ancient, my 8 year old computer is running perfectly fine am just using linux

4.bootup time

5.price

when you buy a new computer they throw the windows price on it even if it is cracked version but linux is free

1.speed

2. security

3.using old computer

4.bootup time

5.price

1. Your computer is too old and slow to run a modern OS. Simple as that. Doesn't make linux better than anything else. It just shows it's simpler.

2. Why would there be antivirus available to linux? Fact is, they're no more secure than any other operating system. It's all to do with market share targeting. Otherwise, just ramblings of ignorance.

3. This doesn't make linux 'better' because it's the only thing your bucket can run.

4. Way too many variables to make any kind of point.

Either way... have a video of Windows 8 booting in 3 seconds.

5. Get a job! :lol:

The price reduction by purchasing without windows was only really relevant with Netbooks when they were the in-thing. Manufacturers aren't paying per licence. They've already chucked Redmond a bit of cash for a kajillion licences. It doesn't cost them any extra to not include one in your new laptop.

I've used various builds of linux in my time. I've settled with Windows 8, which only cost a meagre £25 on launch, for the simple reason... it works.

I like knowing that I can upgrade my hardware and not have to hope and pray someone's made some sketchy driver for it that I've got to go jumping through hoops to find and hope it was developed this side of 2000.

Linux is one of those things you really want to work and you'll go to great efforts to make work. And when you get it how you want, it's great... then you realise you're a gamer and start edging back so you can get steam up.

I've paid Microsoft so I haven't got go faffing about. And I know you militant linux users will throw your hands up and tell me how easy this and that is and that steam runs on linux and gimp is just as good as photoshop and blah blah blah... but the truth is... they're simply not as good. They're never as good. Free stuff is rarely as good as premium.

Steam on linux? Awesome... there're a few neat indie games and some games no one's played in 10 years... but that's all you're going to get. Other programs that "are just as good as..." are great, but they just don't have the premium quality and usability you'll get from a mac or windows application.

We all totally understand it works for you. But it only works for you.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that got a rubbish cell phone once... I got a Samsung Galaxy Pro once to try and fill my nostalgia for the Nokia E1 I used to have. It was Android with touchscreen AND qwerty keyboard. I thought it was great and I went to great efforts to make it work for ME even though it had the wrong resolution for everything and felt horribly flimsy and didn't have multi-touch but I could get the same thing by holding down the.... oh dear... I'm defending that hunk of junk. Now I have an S3 and bought a Lumia 920 (wp8) because I'm all-grown-up now and just want things to work.

So please, by all means, talk about linux and how great it is... but try not to turn this into one of the millions of threads across the internet with the same aggressive "we're better because" things. Because it's all relative.

Help each other out, ask linuxy-type questions and find solutions to why you keep having to type "gconftool-2 --shutdown, rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel, pkill gnome-panel" becuase compiz never works properly, or whatever.

But... don't turn it into a competition to see who's got the biggest ego problem. (makes you sound like an Apple user) XD

Just have fun. :halo:

• Like 1

1. Your computer is too old and slow to run a modern OS. Simple as that. Doesn't make linux better than anything else. It just shows it's simpler.

then why would they host this forum in a linux server

[colour=#282828]2. Why would there be antivirus available to linux? Fact is, they're no more secure than any other operating system. It's all to do with market share targeting. Otherwise, just ramblings of ignorance.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]why would google use it as servers?[/colour]

[colour=#282828]3. This doesn't make linux 'better' because it's the only thing your bucket can run.[/colour]

[colour=#00ff00]>bucket[/colour]

250px-Balde.PNG

my computer

9200d1210603635-dell-latitude-c600-laptop-dell-latitude-c600-laptop.jpg

[colour=#282828]4. Way too many variables to make any kind of point.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Either way... have a video of Windows 8 booting in 3 seconds.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]5. Get a job! [/colour] :lol:

if it work why should i dump it ?

ain't that right?

41Dk7zgI1KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Currently running Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop, it is the only thing that saved me from throwing it out, as windows did nothing but freeze and crash. Now don't get me wrong Ubuntu is fantastic, though it is a hassle to configure wine sometimes to get the software you want.

• 1 month later...

I call this out a little here, my computer is by no means ancient.

Sure its almost three years old but my specs should be enough to speed along on any OS.

And sorry to say but Windows 7 is bloated, Its very slow even if you have it clean of access software.

Even on hardware that is built for it it seems very sluggish.

Windows 8 seems much faster but I can only attest for a virtual install of that.

But I dont have a touchscreen so win 8 is out just for a little speedboost.

2. Why would there be antivirus available to linux? Fact is, they're no more secure than any other operating system. It's all to do with market share targeting. Otherwise, just ramblings of ignorance.

Eh its still true there are more viruses on windows then on any other OS.

Though yes thanks to social media any OS is fair game.

3. This doesn't make linux 'better' because it's the only thing your bucket can run.

Dont be calling my baby a bucket:

Here are my specs:

OS's:

Windows 7 64bit Professional

Ubuntu 12,04 LTS 64Bit

Hardware (my own build):

1 In Win griffin yellow case

1 Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 PSU

1 Lite on iHAS-324-98B DVD burner

1 ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO motherboard with a onboard ATI Radeo HD 4200 graphics card

2 2GB Kingston Hyper X Blu memory sticks

1 HP dvd1260 DVD burner

1 AMD Phenom II Hex core processor

1 1TB WD caviar green hard drive I use as my primary drive

1 640GB WD caviar green hard drive I use for storage (its my older drive but it still works so why junk it?)

1 Vizio Television I use as the monitor

1 xbox 360 gamepad I use for console emulation/general platform gaming

1 Logitech K520 Keyboard

1 Logitech Wireless Trackball M570

And a partridge in a pear treeeee!

Sure the video card is a little weak but was clearly rated for Windows 7

And yes 4GB of ram is small for windows 7 but one should not need to get 16GB of ram, but Windows 7 is a memory hog.

4. Way too many variables to make any kind of point.

Either way... have a video of Windows 8 booting in 3 seconds.

Windows 8 boot times are usually because windows 8 really doesnt shut down, it more or less hibernates.

5. Get a job! :lol:

How do you think I built my baby?

And honestly I think you should give linux another run someday, Ubuntu is not the only fish in the sea if you dont like unity

So I've recently recovered my Laptop from a friend and thought I'd put Ubuntu on it. I have to admit, I was expecting it to be different, but.. Gracious. I wasn't expecting the Mac OS-esque GUI (of course, I didn't know what to expect.) I've actually come to regret putting Ubuntu on my laptop as it seems to be slower than ever. Is there perhaps a lighter version of Linux that is a bit more snappy?

I've had long loading times on other computers before, but when it takes upwards of 10 to 20 seconds to open a web-browser... Something just ain't right.

• 1 month later...

Software compatibility is always an issue, my dad used to use it until he turn to Windows. Been loyal to Windows for years.

If you speak of other Linux, I say Android is one of them too since it's taken from the Linux kernels.