Looking for some pet help

Skipper

Hi everyone I know you're all very creative people (ponies?)  ... :-| 

So, I have a character who has a red panda as a pet and try as I might I cannot draw the stupid thing to resemble a show-style pet at all.

Is there any chance someone could do a quick sketch of the animal in any sort of style resembling the show just so I can reference it and go from there? 

Or, failing that, is there anyone who could give me some pointer on how to make a red panda look like a show-style pet? 

pls

Pointer, pointers.  Lemme ask first:  Are you drawing this by hand as per traditional art, or via a digital tablet?  Drawing it with a tablet and using vectors will always make it a bit more cartoon-ish.  

Hmm...my suggestion would be...

draw the Panda however you had originally intended to draw it

refer to Penny Ling from Littlest Pet Shop (sure, the style's a bit different from MLP...but it's quite close, actually)

Make sure to use vectors, over rasters

Stay away from gradients and too much shading.  Show-style characters go by a single base colour. 

Ahh, LPS! That's such a good idea. That will be such a huge starting point. Thank you so much I'll be sure to post the finished result to let you know how I get on.

Simplicity seems to be the key to MLP style. Simplified anatomy, colors, backgrounds, everything. With a red panda, the colors would probably be the most important. They have a very distinctive color pattern on their face and tail, a simplified drawing in black and white would probably make it indistinguishable from a raccoon, or a very fluffy fox. So yeah, simplified everything if you want to stick to show design.

That being said...I gave it a go myself. I don't really draw show style, so it's not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe you can use it as a frame of reference for your own drawing.

q8QuvIK.png

Oh my gosh it's so cute i think I'm melting

Between Lyi's suggestion of LPS and your help, Zeig I think I have a very good starting point for what I'm aiming for. I'm so excited now!

Archived