[Everfree Forest] What strange lands... [Open]

TheCustodian

Flying? There were ponies capable of flight? It seemed like these creatures had it all, strength, magic, flight. He was kinda jealous.

"No... My magic allows me to speak the words with my mouth even if i do not understand how it is doing it. Its rather strange" he replied to her first question. It was weird, to feel ones mouth move in ways alien to him and yet understand the words spoken using his voice.

"And our magic is limited to healing... My sister is thought to be a possible Healer within our tribe" the mention of her however caused Snowdrifts mood to darken a little, he really did hope she was alright and that his antics and stupidity didnt get her into trouble like he was.

The caribou's mood shifted yet again however when the watch came out. ~What.. Is tha?t~ it confused him more however when the unicorn declared it was getting late. Snowdrift had been having a difficult time following the movement of the sun in this forest but it felt right that the day was drawing to an end.

"If i may ask... How do you know how late it is?"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmm? Oh, this is my pocket watch. It tells the time. Have you not seen one before?" Pinaok pauses for a moment, "Well, you'll see a lot of other things when we get to Ponyville and Canterlot. And I have a lot stranger things in my wagon here. Come on everypony, let's go!"

Pinoak checks to see if Storybook's wagon to see if it is hitched up to his. Satisfied that it is, Pinoak hops back onto his wagon, cracks the reins, and starts heading in the direction that he pointed out earlier. "On the way to Canterlot, mind telling us how and why you are down this far south?"

"I suppose that would be valuable information." storybook agrees, packing up all his instraments but a strange pear shaped guitar. he began walking along side the caravan, humming a song. "it is really different, not pulling a caravan, I feel alot lighter now."

The caribou shakes his head still looking at the strange device. Was it a machine? Or did magic make it work... His confusion is then further increased when Pinoak's wagon began to move by itself. ~This world must be filled with magical wonders...~ he mused as he fell into a steady walk beside them. Snowdrift felt no need to hop aboard, his legs were fine and he was not tired in the least.

"How I came to these lands? Hmm." he paused for a moment to collect his thoughts before explaining "Many days ago..." Months? Weeks? A year? Snowdrift could not tell anymore "I decided to go exploring away from my tribe, that night a snowstorm appeared out of nowhere stranding me in a small copse for the night. The next morning when I tried to find my herd again they had moved on... The storm obliterating any traces of them" he paused there for a moment wondering how long they might have waiting for him before leaving. It wasnt the first time Snowdrift had wandered off. "After that I wandered the tundra in search of them until i was beset by a pack of wolves who chased me into a river. I don't know how long I difted in those icy waters but when I came to I was beside a warm fire created by my unknown savior. Since then I have been wandering." he finished before going silent to think about his situation. In one way it was like he had always dreamed and Snowdrift was able to explore the world, but at the same time he missed his tribe and family greatly.

"how exciteing! mind if I tell that story sometime?" Symphony inquired. "I'm sure ponies will love it." pausing briefly. "though that does make me wonder who your savior was. oh the intrigue!" he began struming his lute faster, moveing on to the next song.

The caribou shrugged "I suppose. I didnt seem that exciting for me" he muttered surprised. Then again perhaps it was more interesting when you were not the one undergoing the life threatening situations. Walking along in silence Snowdrift listened iddly to the music, it was differrent from the chanting tribal beat he was used to back at home. But stll lovely in its own way. "You play that well."

(Sorry for the delay. Was kinda hoping Jak would post but guess not)

"Is that so..." the caribou muttered in reply still eying the instrument "What is it? My species do not use stringed instruments" besides hoof drums the caribou females also practiced throat singing between themselves as a sort of game while the males were out foraging or scouting.

"Canterlot, my furry, foreign friend. It's the capitol of equestria. You'll see a lot new things: uppity snuppity ponies, theatre, a GAJILLION stores and plenty of other cool stuff. Who knows, you may even meet the princesses. And if you don't mind my asking, what type of instruments do you play in your tribe?"

Capitol, theatre, stores, princesses... All these words were again alien to the foreigner although that last one, princesses, seemed important. Whatever this Canterlot was it sounded important.

"Drums, some noise makers... And singing... Not that i ever could do that... Usually i kept a beat and joined in only where the rest of the tribe was singing" Snowdrift replied and gave Symphony a look "And where do you call home then?"

"Let's here your voice! Or at least some of your tribal drumming. If you look in the back of my wagon, you should find some sort of drums. If not, grab some pots and hop up beside me. If you don't want to sing, I'll do it myself." Pinoak smiles, " And Story, if you'd like you can play the lute. Then we'll be a little traveling band. It'll make the trip to Canterlot a lot shorter."

(In case your wondering Im using a blend of both Inuit and Old Nowegian culture to define Snowdrifts species)

The caribou frowned and gave in with a slight sigh. He wasnt in the mood to play the drums, especially on the move like he was now..

"Alright..." he sighed and began to hum a tune he was quite familiar with he was quite familiar with, as he did so the carribou slowed down his pacing so that the clicks in his rear legs would be in time with his intended tempo. The song itself was was a form of greetingthat story tellers and elders in the tribe would sing prior to recounting legends passed down through the generations thanks to The Speech. Clearing his throat he began, the first section usually was sung only by the females but since there were none Snowdrift would have to do it himself.

"Brave the snow

Through the pillars of the pale

Rest your hooves

Come and listen to the tales

Raise your voice

To the legends of the frost

Through our words

They will never be lost"

Snowdrift smiled as he allowed himself to unwind a bit remembering the stories that would often be told at these gatherings.

"Tales that will never be lost

Kept in the legends of the frost

Tales that will never be lost

Kaniq, Volund, Natibvik

Gudrun, Puktaaq, Nunavik

Drengr, Qinu, Tasiq, Ausa

Qannik, Snær, Nuvuya"

It was amusing to the caribou as he noticed that each name in the song had remained the same and untranslated. Including the legendary figure he had been named after. Natibvik, which translated into Snowdrift.

"Tales that will never be lost

Tales that will never be lost

Once and always

A part of history

Long remembered

Legends be

Distant thunder

Echoes of the past

Through our voices

Forever to last

So raise your voice to the legends of the frost

Through our words they will never be lost...

Raise your voice to the legends of the frost

Through our words they will never be lost...

Kaniq, Volund

Gudrun, Puktaaq"

Storybook beamed. "I knew it, you can sing!" he said as Snowdrift finished, then began to sing a song himself.

"Kind friends and companions, come join me in rhyme

Come lift up your voices in chorus with mine

Let us drink and be merry, all grief to refrain

For we may and might never all meet here again "

Pinoak took a moment to settle in his seat.

"A long time ago, there was this little hovel in the forests of the Apponachian mountains. In this hovel lived the Ponard Couple.

These two ponies have lived in this hut for many a year, living off of their land, taking care of their seven dogs, and doing things that any normal couple would do.

One day, the wife of the Ponard couple got a letter from her sister in Manehattan, saying that she was deathly ill. In response, the wife of the Ponard couple packed a suit case and started to head out the door.

"I'll be back in a week hon. Remember to take care of the dogs. And when you go out for their daily walk, remember to keep an eye out on Biscut. He likes to run off whenever he gets the chance."

She promptly kisses her husband good bye and heads off down the road to Manehattan.

A short while after, he leases his dogs, and they all start heading down their walking trail. Several hours later, his dog, Biscut, caught a scent, and started to struggle at the leash.

"Easy ther' Biscut. What's ther matter wit you?"

Biscut pulled at his leash, even harder.

"Biscut, calm do- woah WOAH! BISUCT GIT BACK HERE!" The pony shouted at his running dog.

The husband tied his dogs up to the tree nearest him, and ran off after his dog Biscut.

He searched for many hours, hiking through the woods, calling high and low after his lost dog, but to no avail. HE meandered his way back to his other dogs left at the tree, and took them home.

That night, as he went to sleep, he heard a strange noise from outside his window.

"Pontrikek"

Thinking that it was just the wind, he rolled away from it and fell into his dreams.

In the morning, he woke up, got himself some breakfast, and then went to check on his dogs. He opened the door to see a strange creature sitting on the trail that led to town.

It was a small black creature, about the size of a large cat, with a 3 foot long tail and had big, pure white eyes with tiny pupils staring right into his. He couldn't look away. He felt like it was staring right into his soul.

After what felt like hours, the creature whispered, "Pontrikek". The pony blinked, and the creature was gone.

"I mus be imaginin things." And the pony went to check up on his dogs, and when he opened the door to their living area, they all barreled past the pony, leaving only another creature that looked like the one before, but had Biscut's fur color.

"Pontrikek," it whispered.

The startled pony blinked once more, and the creature disappeared.

He ran out of the dog's home and started to call and search for his dogs.

"Pouchy!! SLINKER!!! HOSPO!!!!"

He called for until Luna's moon was high, and to exhausted to search anymore, he retired to his home.

That night, he heard the faint whispering of "Pontrikek," and it scared him.

When the sun came up, he heard it again, "Pontrikek"

The frightened stallion ran through his tiny home and swung open the front door, looking for the creature. But there was none. He turned to head back inside when he heard it again, "Pontrikek."

When he turned to see the noisemaker, he saw a different creature, looking like another of his dogs.

"Pontrikek," it whined before it ran into the woods.

The pony ran after it until it turned a corner and disappeared.

From off in the disantance, he heard three cries of "Pontrikek"

And like he did before, he galloped to where he thought he heard it. And like before, he saw three of the creatures, with different markings similar to his dogs.

"Pontrikek Pontrikek PONTRIKEK!" they screamed as they ran back towards his house.

When the pony ran back, he looked around the yard for the creatures. But he could not find them.

He went back inside to find something in which he could defend himself. After a minute of frantic search, he found his old wood axe.

"Pontrikek, Pontrikek, Pontrikek, Pontrikek, "

The pony whipped his head up and stared out the window, finding three more of the creatures. He ran to his front door. Blocked. Then his back door, BLOCKED. He ran to his room and slammed the door, locking it and then barricading it.

Satisfied that it was secure he turned around to see the black creature once more, with it's Big white eyes staring into the depths of his soul.

"Pontrikek"

The week ended and the wife came back home, and went to unpack her belongings from the trip.

She called for her husband, but there was no response.

"He must be out walkin the dogs. He'll be back soon."

She went to her room, opened the door, and saw one of the creatures, with the fur colored like her husbands."

(OOC: Sorry it took a while to respond. I've been busy with school and haven't had a chance. Hope y'all understand. Also, please let me know what you think of it. I'm not much of a writer and would like some critiques.)

Symphony walked quitly for a bit before deciding it was his turn to share something, he began humming slowly, and began to sing

"All you many friends of mine,

Welcome to the show.

Come enjoy the story time

and hear the music flow.

"In a distant land i know,

or maybe close at hand,

there comes a tale i know

I think it's pretty grand.

"'Tis a taile of lovers true,

a villains schemes and plans,

he wished to twear them into two

and then to rule the land.