[Ponyville] First Time Visit [closed]

Bannhammer

Daisy squinted out from behind the mahogany desk at the empty room, ears twitching in abstract confusion. Outside, the stylish business pony had ceased his humorous pursuit and was yelling a variety of muffled demands, supposedly at the unseen youngster whom he had been chasing. There was something quiet uplifting about the spectacle, it reminded the Mare of her own mate playing with their foals (or rather the other way around, as was often the case).

Thing was, despite being unable to hear what the stallion was saying, she could most defiantly make out muffled giggling, punctuated by the occasional ‘Ribbit!’

What was more, it seemed to be getting closer... a lot closer.

“Oh no! Don’t go through there mister Frog!â€Â

The earth pony cocked her head looked down, just in time to see a small, green, slimy thing crawl through a gap in the floor boards. It gave a confounded ‘Bouk’ and hopped forwards, sticking to the sectaries’ hoof.

PeaBee nosed at the floorboards where the frog had wriggled away from her, finding that they were in fact part of a trapdoor. With a good shove, the filly burst through the hatch just in time to hear the terrorised scream. Miss Daisy had propelled herself several feet into the air and was flailing her hoof wildly in an attempt to dislodge the unwelcome amphibian. With the grace of a wet sponge, the frog arched through the air and landed some feet from the stair well. Briefly disorientated and glad to be back on the ground, it turned its buggy eyes towards the muddy monstrosity that was now emerging from the depths of the crawl space.

“Wait, Mister frog! Come back!†Peanut called, muddy hooves sliding around on the highly polished floor “You’re not supposed to be inside!â€Â

While the giggling monster had at least slowed its pursuit, the frog was taking no chances.

As Peabee shouted a hurried apology and dashed after the hopping critter, the frog made a beeline for the stairs, disappearing up to the next flight of offices.

This was a new experience. Max had never really dealt with young foals, even when he was one. He couldn't understand why PeaBea was doing this to him. Why would a young pony act so uncivilized? It certainly wasn't how he was raised. 

Max simply stormed after her, totally confused. 

When he entered the town hall, what he saw wasn't very good. A frazzled pony stood off to the side, and tracks of mud, leading from a trapdoor, were all over the floor. He tracked them towards a flight of stairs, and as he looked up them he could hear the young filly's voice. 

"Peanut Brittle! You're not allowed up there!"

The Rockefilly paused for a moment to give poor Daisy a look of exasperation. "I sincerely apologize."

The rich unicorn slowly scaled the steps, hoping to avoid the mess she had caused. 

"For the last time, young lady, this is NOT good behavior." 

It had been a slow day for the Mayor of Ponyville. With no major events to plan for, the weather teams up-to-date and the mornings paper work out of the way, the tan earth pony was enjoying the view out of her office window between appointments. Other than an unexpected hail storm the day was running smoothly and the gracefully aging mare felt she was more than entitled to put a bit of time aside to smile contentedly. It was so lovely when things just worked.

Thirty seven and a half seconds later, she was sprawled on the floor in a most unladylike fission, wondering if someone had caught the number of that donkey cart. Bewildered, the Mayor looked around in confusion as she tried to fathom what had just happened and why her office now looked like a muddy cyclone had barrelled through it. Paperwork that had been so carefully piled on desks was now strewn across a floor covered in small muddy hoof prints. Struggling to find an island in a sea of confusion, she recalled the barrage of questions the small excitable Filly had asked before charging off through her private balcony access and on towards the roof of the hall.

Feeling a head ache coming on, the pony shook her head and began carefully restacking the stricken documentation. Oh well, at least it gave her something to do. Gently placing a stack of recovered paper, the shell-shocked pony was unfortunately startled once more as a smartly dressed unicorn burst into the room unannounced, panting and glancing around the room as though looking for a lost possession. For a second it looked as though the newcomer was about to ask the Mayor something, but the question seemed to catch in his throat as his eyes caught sight of something behind the earthpony, beyond the large glass window that adorned the wall.

Peabee was in a predicament. The frog was surprisingly quick on its flippers and had so far evaded capture. After chasing the critter up several flights of stairs, the Pegasus filly had emerged onto a small round balcony at the very top of the prestigious building. Quite a beautiful view was lost on the foal, whose attention was fixated on the terrified amphibian gradually approaching the shear drop off the roof. Cautiously, Peanut began to creep forwards, fearful that her playmate might be about to fall to a rather squishy end.

With a quizzical look of reflection, the frog looked at its pursuer and then down at the drop before it, debating which was worse. Coming to a definitive conclusion, the greenish pond dweller took a measured hop into thin air and began to drop.

A split second later it was followed by a distraught Pegasus foal, hooves outstretched in a futile attempt to catch the amphibian. There was a hollow thump, rather more suddenly then Peabee had expected. Opening her eyes, she breathed a thankful sigh as the roof sloped away infront of her, red tiles contoured to fan outwards from the spire she had just vacated.

Thus was her predicament. Stranded on a sharply angled roof, hope and fore hooves holding her in place. In between her supporting limbs sat the frog, bold as brass and wearing the expression of perpetual confusion common to its species. With an air of consideration it took a step forwards, hopped onto her nose. Gasping in surprise, Peabee slid down another few tiles before her hooves caught again. The frog looked on menacingly. The tables suddenly turned, it opened its wide mouth and licked the distraught foal on the bridge of her nose, leaping off as she shrieked in disgust.

Only as the tiles began sliding under her belly did Peabee realise that lifting her hooves to protect her face had not been the best reaction in the world. Try as she might to backpedal and slow her decent, all she succeeded in doing was to turn herself around so that she was falling rump first towards looming roof edge.

The edge curled upwards, launching the fast sliding foal into the air where she hung for a few seconds, briefly catching a glimpse of a familiar unicorn through the window. Then gravity received the memo and stepped in, sending the flailing foal screaming towards the hard unforgiving ground.

...splash.

It was cold in the water trough.

Groaning with in both abstract defeat, Peanut pulled herself out of the watering hole and flopped onto the soggy grass. Glancing back up from where she had fallen, she started to giggling enthusiastically, the thrill of imminent danger passing like a dream.

Then, pulling off her sodden coat, she trotted back up the steps of the town hall, shaking herself vigorously and flapping her wings to dislodge as much water as possible before she entered the building once again. There was no pony downstairs anymore, the nice desk Mare having vanished to find a mop and bucket. Hanging the coat on the side of a long bench, the now sparkillingly clean Peabee jumped up onto the cushioned armchair and decided to wait while her mane dried out.

Yawning, the damp filly curled up and listened to the comforting sounds of the town outside. Miss tempest would be back soon no doubt, but right now she was Sooo beat. All she had to do was stay put.

Max bounded quickly up the steps, hoping to catch the young filly before she could mess up anything else. He didn't even come close. 

The smartly dressed unicorn followed the muddy tracks into a large office. He burst through the door, and was instantly assured that PeaBea had been there. He didn't know much about this town, but he was fairly certain that a mayor's office, even in backwater towns, were supposed to be clean. 

An older mare looked at him, exasperated. Max opened his mouth to speak, but the words were caught in his throat due to the horrifying thing he could see behind her. The lack of PeaBea, and the knowledge that there was only one place she could have gone. 

The excitable young Pegasus had made her way onto the roof. Maximilian shut his mouth, holding in the many profanities he would normally use in such a situation. 

The mayor started talking, but her words went unheard; the Rockefilly too distracted to notice or care. He could only stand there in a terrified silence as he heard a clattering on the roof. It would stop and start, it did this a couple times, and each one made Max cringe in fear. 

There was a pause, and Maximilian prayed that maybe she had come to her senses. The long, loud clattering and the sight of a pegasus pony plummeting past the window making his greatest fears a reality. 

With a shout the rich stallion turned and ran out of the mayor's office and he went down the steps as quickly as he could. He burst into the main room and out into the town, looking around wildly for PeaBea. 

"Peanut Brittle?!"

He galloped frantically around the perimeter of the town hall, expecting to find an injured filly. When his search came up empty, the dejected Maximilian trudged back towards the town hall, hoping tone explain what had just happened to the mayor, and ask for her assistance.

Max dragged his hooves as he entered the building, his head hung low and his whole body was slumped, as if his spine had simply given up the will to function properly. He stared at the ground, and he silently made his way towards the steps. The only thing he could hear was his own breath, and that of somepony else. 

The rich stallion looked up to investigate, and what he saw brought untold joy, and untold anger to his heart.

The young pony was safe! The young pony had done something stupid and dangerous. She was alive! She was in trouble.

In all of his years, Max had done and experienced many things, one of the few areas in which he had NO experience was children. He had never raised a foal, and his parents had barely raised him. Max subconsciously took a page from his fathers book as he trotted over to where PeaBea was trying to sleep. He stood over her and began to yell with a stern expression on his face. 

"Young lady, what you just did was stupid and reckless! You could have been killed! You messed up the town hall, you messed up the mayor's office, you drag me around town looking for you, and did I mention that you almost died?"

(As I haven't heard anything more from Muddy, so I'll just throw in an NPC to take the message.)

After trying Rainbow's house, and finding it empty (or at least, unresponsive, Tempest didn't rule out the possibility that Miss Dash was simply ignoring her) Tempest moved on and by chance encountered another weather pony. She dragged the confused pegasus to the town hall, returning just in time to hear raised voices coming from upstairs.

She burst through the door to see an angry Maximillian and a soggy PeaBee. "What is going on in here? Can I not leave you alone for ten minutes without..." She paused, completely unable to come up with a circumstance that would result in the current situation.

"Um... well anyway, I brought Miss Cloud Kicker here, since Miss Dash was out. Likely out galavanting about with her friends I don't doubt. But there's no time to waste searching for her, by the time we found them the train may have already reached its destination. If you'd care to give Miss Kicker your message and a description of your family, she can be on her way."

“I-Ah-but... I dint.. the frog it-†Peabee floundered, her initial shock of Max’s wrathful facade giving way to fear, frantic glances only just noticing the scene that she had caused. She fell totaly quiet, even to Temptests requests.

Muddy hoof prints left by her pursuit tarnished the otherwise sparkling floorboards and stairway, crowned by an upturned plant pot that had been unsettled by the foal’s haste. Mister Rockefilly was shouting at her furiously, something even Daddy rarely did. From behind her desk, the mop wielding sectary glared at the young Pegasus severely. To compound matters Miss Tempest was back dragging another bewildered pony, both seemingly livid.

Shrinking back Peanuts vision of the towering adults began to blur with tears, dearly wishing that her family were here to help her. Everypony was angry with her. She’d been silly, gotten carried away and ruined everything. Now they’d all hate her, maybe even leave her here and not let her see her brother or parents again.

With waterworks fast aproaching the filly muttered something about ‘not mytherin’ before curling inwards. Even Peanut's oversized wings twitched in an uncordinated attempt to spread around her form, adding to the effect that the tearful Pegasus was desperately trying to hide in plain sight.

Max was angry, he was upset, and yet the image of a filly nearly in tears almost tore his heart in two. He didn't know what a parent was supposed to do, and he struggled with his emotions.

Yes, she had messed up, and yes, it was her fault, but she was just a child. He could keep yelling, but that would get him nowhere, he needed to balance it. 

How do other ponies DO it?

"Um... Don't cry!" He stammered, reacting to the young pony's withdrawal. The rich stallion paused for a moment, trying to figure out what to do.

Maximilian loosened up, trying to present a less intimidating image. With a calm voice, he leaned down and tried to soothe PeaBea.

"I'm not mad at you, I just... I just want you to know that you really scared me. I thought that you had been hurt!"

He felt awkward talking to another pony in that way, but he just felt like that's what he's supposed to do. Normally he'd punish somepony severely for their mistakes, usually firing them, docking their pay, or just cursing at them. His anger was not something that anypony  wished upon themselves. In this situation, his usual rage and fury was subsided, controlled by his instincts. 

Max didn't know what else to say, his inexperience in this area made quite apparent.

"Just don't do it again, ok? I was really worried."

With a blush, the rich unicorn backed away and faced Tempest. He tried to change the subject.

"I think we should deliver a message posthaste."

Tempest put her hoof down, stomping loudly. "Miss Peanut Butter," she said in a firm but gentle tone, "I have no idea what was going on here, but every moment you waste is another moment your mother and father will be worrying about you. Please, give this pony your message, and their names and descriptions so she can be off. We can sort all this out after that."

"Mister Rockefilly," she said in the same tone, turning towards him, the faintest hints of a smug grin playing at her lips. "You will start cleaning up this mess, as I left this filly in your care, and it is thus your responsibility." Ordering him, a stallion who had likely never done a bit of housework in his life to clean up gave Tempest an immense sense of satisfaction, though she tried not to relish it too much.

"Once the messenger is away, PeaBee and I shall join you, we shall put this room back together, and then I shall treat you both to some ice cream." She smiled softly at PeaBee. "How does that sound?"

Though unsure as too exactly what had just transpired, Maxx’s waning anger and the mention of ice cream lifted Peabee some way out of her mute chastisement. Nodding to the weather mare’s instruction, the filly slid herself off the couch and sat down in front of the new Pegasus.

“Umm, well,†she began, voice nowhere near as enthusiastic as it had been earlier “my family’s on the train to Trottingham. Mister Rockyfilly forgot his bag an’ I tried to take it too him, but then the train went without me. I just wana let them know where I am an’ that I didn’t mean to get left behind. Let’s see.â€Â

Pausing for a moment, the filly adopted a look of intense concentration, having never had to really describe her parents in a medium outside of crayon doodles “Well Daddy’s name iiiis Gabon Nut an’ he’s really REALLY big, bigger than any of the other ponies on the farm. Umm, he’s dark red an’ his manes the colour of fall leaves and his hooves are covered by fuzzy fur that drags on the floor a little. Mommy’s smaller than him, her name’s Cream Tea, an’ her coat’s kinda yellowy with the same colour mane as me. Umm there’s also my big brother Chashi with them, but he’ll probably still be reading his book in the cabin. Oh! The cabin we were in is almost at the end of the train, I remember that cus’ the dinner car was right next door to us.â€Â

Nodding the older Pegasus tapped a hoof to her chin while memorising the descriptions “Okay, I'll be able to catch up to that train and be back before lunch, no worries. Might take a little longer getting back though, I reckon one of your kin might want to fly back here with me to make sure you’re all right.â€Â

Peabee tilled her head, a lopsided look of confussion gracing her young features at Cloud Kickers suggestion “Errm, no they won’t, cus’ they can’t fly.â€Â

Giggling a little as though the other pegasus had ment it as a joke, she gasping sudenly as another idea slipped into her head "Do you meen you're, like, gona carry one of them back here?! That'd be so amazing! Then they wouldn't have to worry at all... only, I don't think you'll be able to carry Daddy, an' ma's got this thing with hights..."

Max silently fumed, amazed that Tempest would boss him around like that. Normally, Maximilian would curse out a pony who disrespected him like that; the only thing stopping him was the young filly in the room.

"I will do my part to direct the tidying, but don't expect me to do any cleaning myself."

He watched in silence as the young pony described her parents to the other Pegasus. He didn't really listen, picking up scant details and small facts. Max was more focused on the bossy weather pegasus.

His attention was attracted by Cloud Kicker's reply, wondering what the heck PeaBea's parents were like. 

The young filly's response intrigued him, her parents couldn't fly? Of course, it wasn't impossible for wings or horns to skip a generation, and Max merely chalked It up to genealogy.

Then he started to think.

Well, she said her father worked on a farm, That means earth ponies.... Most of the agricultural families  stay fairly constant, so probably not too many unicorns or Pegasi. 

Max had no clue what to make with this information, and even though he tried to push his curiosity away, he couldn't help but think about it as time continued.

After a moment of thought, Max motioned to secretary to continue cleaning. He turned his attention to PeaBea.

"I don't think that's what Cloud Kicker meant... Is anypony in your family a Pegasi?

“Yep!†Chirped the filly, smiling broadly at Maxx’s observation “Me! Don’t think there’s anypony else with wings though. Mommy says that makes me special, ain't that great! Buuuut I still wana be an earthpony when I grow up anyway.â€Â

"Maximillian Rockefilly Jr.!" Tempest said in a commanding, motherly tone, hoping that use of his full name might dredge up some latent discipline in him. "I don't know what it's like back in Manehattan or wherever, but around here, when we make a mess, we clean it up, and and responsibility for this falls on all our shoulders." She opened a maintenance closet and pulled out a selection of cleaning supplies, thrusting a mop and bucket at the protesting unicorn.

Tempest flitted up to the ceiling and began to scrape the mud off of it. How had they managed to get mud up here? No matter. She glanced down as PeaBee mentioned her family. "No other pegasus ponies in your immediate family eh? How odd. Your wings are quite well-developed, I would expect your whole family to have them. It's not unheard of, I suppose, just rare."

She frowned as PeaBee mentioned her wish to be an earth pony. "Oh don't say that. Not that there's anything wrong with being an earth pony, but your wings are a fantastic gift. Even if you never used them, they'd still be a defining part of who you are. Tell me, have you learned to fly yet? Your wings look strong enough that I'd wager you could fly, once you learn the basics. Flying under your own power is incredible, there's really nothing else quite like it in all the world. I could give you a few pointers if you want, since your family has nopony else who can train you."

It was difficult to say how the little filly felt about this kind offer. Most other Pegasus foals would have leapt at the chance of flying lessons, especially from a weather pony, to whom the sky was a blue canvas of possibility. A twinkle of eagerness in Peanut’s eyes suggested that the same lofty desire coursed through her blood as any of her species. Yet this excitement didn’t seem to spread beyond the sapphire ovals, her cheerful body language boding an unconvincing air of nonchalance.

Other pegasi from the weather team had made similar compliments and offers in the past, all having been met with the same response. To young Peabee, something’s were more important than being what strangers thought you should be. Promises for example, even if made to one’s self.

So why did the inevitable answer always make her feel so inapt?

“Thank you Miss Tempest. That’s really nice of you, but its okay. I don’t really want to fly anyway.â€Â

Smilling broadly, the young filly trotted over to where Daisy was mopping up to proffer an apology and procure a mop of her own.

Cloud kicker was at a loss. Pegasus Fillies with earthpony parents were strange enough, but for the kid to be genuinely uninterested in flying? That was just a little too weird.

“Huh... Well I’d better get going then,†Announced the newly appointed messenger, shooting the filly another baffled look and making a personal note to ask the kids parents about her unusual aversion “Train’s not gona catch itself. I’ll come find ya when I’m back, Tempy. See-ya!â€Â

With that she pranced out of the door and was gone in a blur of beating wings.

Peabee dragged her mop around the floor, carefully goose stepping her own hoof pints as she ran the wet rag through them. As she passed Maxx, the filly felt a small pang of cold guilt again, worried that the gentlecolt was still annoyed at her misbehaver.

“Mister Rockyfilly?†She asked, honestly “I’m sorry for making such a mess. Do you think I should go say sorry to the lady upstairs too? I think the frog broke her room.â€Â

Max looked down at the young filly, conflicted. Part of him wanted to scold her further for her mistakes, but he just couldn't bring himself to do it. Some strange instinct was telling him to take it easy on the youngster. 

"I think that would be a very mature thing to do. I'll come with you."

Max chuckled at her last comment, something about the youth triggered a sense of happiness. 

"I think you did more damage to the office than the frog."

Max shot Tempest a glare and started to approach the secretary, who was mopping furiously. He stood silently and nudged PeaBea forward, giving her a chance to speak for herself. He turned his attention from the young pony and back to Tempest.

Tempest looked dejected as the filly declined her offer. Was it her wings? Maybe PeaBee didn't think she would be a good teacher. She glanced back at her wings, and then at PeaBee's. Tempest's wings were perfectly matched for her diminutive size, but PeaBee's were almost larger than hers already.

She shook her head, she was overthinking things again. Maybe the kid just didn't feel comfortable flying when none of the rest of her family could. Or perhaps she really did feel like there was no reason to fly. That weird pegasus who Miss Dash was friends with was almost always on the ground.

She resolved to try to speak to the filly's parents about it if she got the opportunity. After her long silence, she finally spoke. "Yes, well, that's... your choice then. And yes, you should probably appologi- wait, did you say upstairs?" She looked mortified. "Oh dear, that's the mayor's office."

She glanced at Max. "Hmm, there's a thought. Mister Rockefilly, if you take responsibility for the mess with the mayor, I'll handle your third of the cleaning while you're up there. Deal?"

Though the secretary was somewhat miffed at the extra work the filly had created along with the ruckus, Daisy still seemed satisfied with Peabee’s honest apology. Handing her a spare mop the mare instructed her to start clearing the stair well. With mop and bucket in tow, Peabee trotted back to the pair just as Tempest made her suggestion. Her young face contorted with a look of apprehension as it was mentioned whom the other victim of the frog-chase probably was.

“The Mayor! Oh Trifle, hope she's not too mad.â€Â

((Again, really sorry for the short reply, I honestly can't think of anything else to do here. Btw, where are we going to take this thread after this little missadventure is sorted out?))

Max was proud of PeaBea, and he didn't know why. He felt a surge of happiness at seeing her taking responsibility and apologizing for her actions.

He watched her pick up a mop and start cleaning. Tempest's proposal would have offended him In the past, but he saw the fairness in the deal.

"Ok miss Tempest, I'll clean things up with the mayor while you clean things up down here."

Maximilian made his way up the stairs and into the mayor's office. She wasn't pleased with what happened, but she understood that little fillies are little fillies. After a lengthy discussion and some small negotiating, Max was able to absolve PeaBea of any guilt, heaping it all onto himself and his lack of responsibility.

The Rockefilly slowly scaled the steps, meeting up with the other two as they continued cleaning. Max looked out the window, and it seemed like it was finally drying up.

"PeaBea, I think we may finally get that tour we wanted." Max looked at Tempest, hoping that she would go along with it.

(OOC: I was thinking we would do the tour as a final wrap up, ending with PeaBea getting on the train and Max finding a place to stay. The tour could be done in only a few posts.)

Tempest sighed in relief as the other two left the room to apologize to the mayor. She was already going to have to file a report on the accidental storm, the last thing she needed was to tack on responsibility for the personal insult of destroying the mayor's office. And since Mr. Rockefilly had seemed quite reluctant to help with the actual cleaning, at least this would get him out of her hair while she did it. Cleaning up the mess wasn't hard anyway.

She fell into a sort of fugue, losing track of time entirely as she cleaned, and before she knew it, the task was complete. The room looked cleaner than it had before the incident. She smiled in satisfaction at having everything in its proper place one more, before turning to the two out-of-towners.

"Alright, good-as-new. Now, then, follow me. We can head down to the market, the ice cream vendor should have her stall out there, and I can show you some of the highlights of town."

She stepped out, leading out the door and down the main street to the market square. It wasn't far at all, and in a matter of minutes she was leading them straight to the vendor herself. "Alright, just order whatever flavor you like, it's on me."

“Really? Any flavour?”

For such a small cart there was quite the selection. Flavours to suit any pallet, be they sweet or sour, tangy or fruity were laid out in a rainbow of colours before the curious filly.

“Mmmm Cinnamon and honey, please!”

Hoof cup securing holding her cornet, Peabee thanked the stall owner stood back from the adults while they made their selections. Maybe getting lost wasn’t such a bad thing after all. Everypony seemed really nice here. Miss Tempest had bought her ice cream and Mister Rockefilly made her laugh, which rapidly promoted both of them in the filly’s eyes.

Though normally easily distracted, in the presence of anything sweet the filly was as single minded as a buzz saw. Her eyes were drawn back to the tasty treat in the cardboard hoofclasp, a gradually forming drip warranting immediate attention.

Practically beaming with delight, Peabee licked at the soft umber desert, ever meandering thoughts turning to a quizzical conundrum.

“How many flavours of Ice cream are there?” She asked out loud, concentration still seemingly glued her own present example.

Max stood awkwardly in front of the ice cream stand, this might not be the best time to mention that he had never really had ice cream before. He’d had all sorts of fancy deserts like tiramisu, opera cake, lady fingers, etc… But simple ice cream, never.

“Um… I’ll just take a regular…”

The pony running the stand gave him a quizzical look. “Ya mean Vanilla?”

“Sure, Vanilla.”

“Cone or Cup?”

“Cone?”

The vendor facehooved, mumbling to himself about his lousy job. He turned and grabbed a small brown cone and held it up for Max to see. “A.CONE. I put the ice cream in this, you eat the ice cream ,and then you eat the cone.”

“Oh… ok. A vanilla cone.”

Without a word the ice cream pony put a few lumps of creamy delight on top of a crunchy container and passed it to the expectant Manehattanite.

“Thank you.” Max levitated the treat towards him, and he didn’t touch it. He just looked at it, trying to figure out the best way to start eating it.