From The Stars (Private)

TRP

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If it is not weak, we will not have to worry about what we want ever again.." Xarame said, quietly, before shaking herself a little. 

"Ah, but it may not be as bad as that; let us not jump to conclusions until we have all the facts." She added, with a faint smile, continuing on down the road under the eaves of the first trees of the forest. 

Xarame looked at him slightly incredulously.

"The darkness... it comes from the stars..." She said in a low voice, glancing up but seeing only a canopy of dark leaves, "It is the same power the Princess of the Night used in her struggle against her sister, and the same power used to..." 

She trailed off and looked back at Arcus. 

"It could well be the most dangerous force on this world... Nothing else is so recklessly malicious."

"Oh, well, equines in general, then." Arcus laughed, shaking his head. "And, well..."

He sighed, a look of determination in his eyes, as he played around with the bow in his hooves.

"I hope so too..."

They trotted on further into the forest, the trees getting larger and older, the path getting more overgrown, and the air getting thicker. Xarame looked about uneasily as they went; She had never liked forests, having been raised on the plains, but this forest was worse than normal, there was definitely some evil at work here...

It was hard to tell, as the sky was blocked by branches and leaves, but Xarame sensed it must be approaching dusk, and turned to Arcus.

"How far do we have to go?" She asked, somewhat nervously, "I fear it shall grow dark soon."  

"It does?" Xarame asked, looking around, concerned. 

She froze as she spotted a pair of eyes watching them from the brush under the trees, then another, and another...

The three timberwolves padded forward slowly, growling and bearing their teeth as they emerged from the forest onto the path. 

"Timberwolves..." Arcus muttered under his breath, slowly raising the bow he carried in his hooves, and bringing the pointed black arrow to bear.

"Huh, three? Unusually few, but not that I'm complaining..." He chuckled, as he aimed for the one nearest to him.

Wait, was he seriously laughing? Now?

"You may want to fall back, Xarame, this could get messy."

Xarame was waaaay ahead of him, already having disappeared from sight. She was not a skilled fighter, and learned a long time ago that her best bet in these situations was to hide.

Besides, Arcus looked as though he could handle himself...

"Mhm, okay, let's see how experienced these are..." Arcus muttered, silently thankful that Xarame had hidden quite quickly. He really didn't want anypony hurt right now... or any zebra, for that matter.

Breathing slow, deep breaths, the stallion raised his bow, releasing the string, and sending the arrow whistling towards the nearest timberwolf. Quickly reloading, he fired twice more, all of the arrows set to hit their marks.

After their brief moments of flight, the trio of arrows struck home, hitting one timberwolf in the eye, blinding it, and hitting the other two in the leg and torso respectively. Howling in rage, the half-blind leader dropped low to the ground, and started into a charge for the pegasus. Time seemed to slow as it did, with Arcus flipping up into the air as it charged, but the lapse was quickly broken with the savage crack of the sharpened edge of his bow hitting the timberwolf directly on the, dropping it to the ground at the same time that Arcus landed.

Others may be surprised that it didn't break, but unknown to many, his bow had been reinforced for this exact reason... After all, there are moments when fighting from range just won't work.

"Right, one down!" Arcus grinned, grabbing his bow in both hooves, and holding it out almost like a spear...

"Who's next?"

The two remaining wolves looked unsure what to do about the loss of their leader; they padded around Arcus, growling, but keeping their distance. After a few moments, however, their hunger overcame their caution, and they both charged the pegasus, snarling and bearing their teeth. 

As the two wolves charged as one, Arcus let out a shout, and swung his bow hard towards one of them, hitting it on the head yet again, not hard enough to kill it, but stunning it temporarily. Spinning, he quickly turned to the other, and smashed it's leg with a powerful blow, sending a sickening crack echoing through the trees.

The wolf he hit first took the advantage after quickly recovering however, and jumped at him, raking its claws at his armor, and leaving a long scratch on the back. Arcus grit his teeth, fighting the sudden pressure, and dropping to the ground. Using his wings to his advantage, he shot out from under the wolf, rolling a short distance away, and drawing three more arrows.

Quickly shooting one towards the lame wolf, he put it out of its misery, and sent the other two arrows towards the one remaining, pinning both of its legs, and dropping it to the ground as well.

Breathing heavily as he trotted over to it, he drew an arrow, replacing the bow on his back. As he crouched over it, he sighed, almost sadly...

"Well... I guess this is the end of the line for you, buddy."

The timberwolf whined and struggled weakly, trying to crawl away, but being prevented from doing so by the arrows in it's legs.

Xarame dropped silently from her hiding place in one of the many trees lining the road, and trotted up behind Arcus, looking at the injured wolf. "You do not have to do that..." She said, quietly. 

"I... can't..." Arcus shook his head, staring at the injured wolf. The air around him seemed to tell that this was not the first time he had gone through this problem...

"I can't just let them loose... I would, if I could..."

"This creature is not evil; it is merely doing what it needs to in order to survive," Xarame said, kneeling down beside the injured creature. 

"What gives us the right to decide whether it lives or dies?" She asked, looking at Arcus as the wolf whimpered slightly.

"I know, Xarame, I know. I've... been through this before." Arcus chuckled softly to himself, sitting down near the wolf.

"But... I don't want citizens to be endangered, either." He shook his head, as if clearing his cluttered thoughts...

"Funny, isn't it? You would think that I'd be used to killing them, with over eight years of service... But I'm truly not..." He sighed sadly, smiling almost amusedly.

"I am not certain I see the humour," Xarame said, frowning slightly, "But I am glad to know you do not take a life lightly."

She looked back at the timberwolf, gently putting a hoof on it's head and stroking it a little. The wolf opened it's eyes and looked at her fearfully, growling a little at her touch, but as she looked back into it's eyes, it seemed to relax a little, realising she meant it no harm. 

​"I am also not certain this creature is a risk to any citizens," She said, looking back to Arcus after a few minutes, "It has not been terrorising herds or settlements; it and the rest of it's pack attacked us only because we were foolish enough to be travelling in such a place as this at such a late hour."

"No guard takes any life lightly, Xarame. Friend, foe, or anything in between." Arcus replied, staring at the wolf again, and even more at the arrows stuck onto its legs.

"And as for you, little wolf... I hope you do the same. As my friend trusts in you, so shall I..." He chuckled, scooting closer to it as Xarame calmed it down. He was impressed; he'd never seen any wolf be willingly touched, as Xarame had. Maybe, just maybe...

"Now, hold still! Maybe there's a way after all..." Arcus furrowed his brow in concentration, starting to extract his arrows from the wolf's leg with surprising care and precision, for a soldier...

The wolf howled in pain and snarled at Arcus, despite the care he was taking.

Xarame, undeterred, turned the wolf's head gently but firmly back to face her own, gazing into it's eyes once more. The wolf turned reluctantly, but stopped snarling as it studied her. 

"Be calm now, my little whelp; for we are only trying to help," Xarame said quietly, her voice taking on a slightly sing-songy tone as the small yellow bird left her back, and flew over to perch cautiously on the wolf instead. 

She closed her eyes, and rested her forehead against the wolf's, keeping it calm as Arcus removed the arrows. 

Arcus worked on for a few more minutes, staying firm as the wolf snapped at him. He was confident in Xarame's ability to calm it down, and...

Wait, did she just bump heads with it?

Oooookay. 

"... Ugh, thankfully, it seems to like you..." Arcus chuckled, even as he grunted slightly at the effort of slowly removing the last arrow. As he finally pulled it free, he spun them, and quickly flipped them both back into his quiver. 

"Well, this wolf was definitely... different..." Arcus remarked, tilting his head curiously at it, but staying cautious. After all, it probably didn't trust the pony who just killed two of it's kind in front of it...

"Different because you did not kill me?" The wolf asked, in a low, raspy, but definitely feminine voice, turning her head towards Arcus with a slightly hard look in her eyes. 

Xarame leaned back and sat on her haunches as the wolf turned her head, smiling a little to herself as she rummaged through her bags, pulling out a pestle and mortar, and a hoofful of strange-looking herbs.  

The wolf was obviously not feeling friendly towards Arcus, but was still too wounded to stand, so it remained lying down, the little yellow bird still on her back, preening itself. 

Archived